KSP Weekly: New Beginnings

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_ok3vsunH6I1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, everyone! We’re here to talk about everything Kerbal, so without further ado, let’s begin.

We will start today’s news by saying goodbye to one of our beloved teammates, Nightingale, who has decided to step down from KSP development for personal reasons. His contribution to KSP development has not been unnoticed: He helped bring 1.2 to life as well as fixing key bugs and polishing game features that we are now able to enjoy. Your legacy lives on and we can only show you our gratitude for being a great professional and magnificent human being. Let’s wish him the best in any future endeavor. Here are some words he wanted to share with you all:

It was a tough decision to leave the Squad team, but with everything going on in life I’ve been unable to devote nearly as much time as I’ve wanted to KSP.  I’ve got a pretty unpredictable schedule, and I don’t want to put myself in a position where I’m not be able to deliver the level of quality that KSP deserves.

I’ve enjoyed my time with Squad tremendously, as it gave me the chance to work with some really great people (they know who they are).  I’m excited to see what you guys will think when some of the new things we’ve been hard at work on are revealed.

The KSP community’s always been good to me, and I don’t plan on going anywhere.  I’d set my modding hat aside for the past month or so, but I’ll be picking that back up shortly.  In fact, I already have a few interesting ideas in how I can hook into the…  well, I suppose UomoCapra and Badie can tell you guys about that when the time’s right.

- nightingale

With Nightingale’s departure there are some adjustments on the team structure, we’d like to share with you:

Jamie (JPLRepo) has now moved from QA manager to the dark side (development) where we know he will shine. Steve (Squelch) takes on Jamie’s former position as QA Manager alongside QA Lead and wingman Mat (sal_vager). We also want to welcome Marc (Technicalfool) whom many of you already know as a moderator here on the forums, who has now joined us as QA Staff. Like many of the current KSP staff, Technicalfool sprouted from this community and we’re sure he’ll be a fantastic addition to our team.

Additionally we want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who responded to the request for Chinese Simplified and Japanese volunteers. The response has been overwhelming and we’ve now got more than enough volunteers to assist with QA of those languages so thanks to all that responded. Unfortunately we have not had enough time to personally respond to everyone who answered our call but we want to thank you all.

It has been another busy week of testing for the QA team. We have been doing yet more localization testing and back end language support along with the usual reporting and testing of bugfixes, as well as some interesting changes to the struts and fuel lines, not to mention some fun bugs with the same which players won’t get to see. The results of this work are hard to specify, or even talk about in an interesting manner, however, some bugs have been uncovered that require fixes, and these will improve the experience for all regardless of your nationality. For example, we will be supporting the full character set in various languages, so no more frustration while trying to name your craft. Mod support, as ever, is being considered during this time with language support being left open and optional for mod makers. Our team of volunteer localization testers have been hard at work checking and making suggestions for improvements in their native languages.

Despite Squad being largely a Spanish speaking company, all of the staff are busy working on other things, so we do require Spanish speaking volunteers for testing. Please send an email to [email protected] with the subject “Spanish Localization Help” if you wish to help?

In the  development team  we have been enhancing some peer review processes to check/improve on our code standards and commenting processes. We always want to be improving and making it easier for ourselves - no one is perfect.

In the art department the work on the new rigging continues and it’s coming along nicely, this will make any future cinematics look more natural and organic.

In other news, and as promised, we’ve prepared a new challenge for you KSP players who want to get the chance to win this this amazing 3D printed Kerbal IVA Bundle. You can learn more here.

Finally, we want to share with you our plans to refurbish and do a make-over to our Twitch Channel, KSPTV. We have many ideas to make it enjoyable again to watch, but we need time to work on them and make things right. For that reason, the channel will be on pause for a period of time. We are working hand in hand with several streamers to do so and we hope you’ll enjoy it once bring it back to life.

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

i was wondering if there was going to be a KSP weekly. No new news on that super secret next feature for ksp? You guys said Technicalfool has joined the team but didnt say what his role will be. And good luck to Nightingale. Good luck with your future Endeavors.

Edited by Redneck

19 minutes ago, Redneck said:

i was wondering if there was going to be a KSP weekly. No new news on that super secret next feature for ksp? You guys said Technicalfool has joined the team but didnt say what his role will be. And good luck to Nightingale. Good luck with your future Endeavors.

It seems @RoverDude just ninja'ed me, however:

27 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

We also want to welcome Marc (Technicalfool) whom many of you already know as a moderator here on the forums, who has now joined us as QA Staff.

Nightingale, I wish for your prosperous future.

And for all KSP developers, may the force be with you!

I am looking forward to seeing information on development every week here, for example what is happening to the team, what each team is focusing on, what are the plans for the future.

It is certainly a pleasure if you have big news, but it is most glad that you keep posting articles like this every week.

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Finally, we want to share with you our plans to refurbish and do a make-over to our Twitch Channel, KSPTV.... The channel will be on pause for a period of time.

Considering the last thing I saw on KSPTV were two air fresheners insulting each other, I'd say that's probably for the best. 

Localization in Chinese and Japanese with the possibility of other languages in the future? What about Kerbalese don't you guys want anyone for that localization?

On a serious note i am interested in localizing the game in Greek will there be any announcement or a ''how to'' for that?

4 hours ago, Jarin said:

*sigh* Another dev gone and no actual development news. I tried to avoid the pessimism last fall, but the doomsayers are starting to look like they were onto something.

Still, congrats @JPLRepo and @technicalfool. I really do hope things go well.

There's not much can be said because it's all under wraps. @nightingale already dropped hints in his goodbye message.

And I'll do the best I can.

5 hours ago, EBOSHI said:

I am looking forward to seeing information on development every week here, for example what is happening to the team, what each team is focusing on, what are the plans for the future.

It is certainly a pleasure if you have big news, but it is most glad that you keep posting articles like this every week.

My thoughts are almost the opposite. I was thinking that it'd be better if they stopped having weekly updates as long as they're working on the same thing and not releasing anything new.

1 hour ago, ades said:

My thoughts are almost the opposite. I was thinking that it'd be better if they stopped having weekly updates as long as they're working on the same thing and not releasing anything new.

I think there is such a way of thinking. Information required by each person is different.
On the other hand, if news release opportunities and information volume are reduced, some people will complain about it. Or, if there are people complaining on a daily basis, they will complain about anything. It is such a thing.

I'd say we got a pretty neat hint regarding the secret news. Not anything overwhelming, but this line was interesting:

I’d set my modding hat aside for the past month or so, but I’ll be picking that back up shortly.  In fact, I already have a few interesting ideas in how I can hook into the…  well, I suppose UomoCapra and Badie can tell you guys about that when the time’s right.

So it seems like the new secret feature is something that modders may "hook into". That seems to rule out a mere new planet, or parts changing appearance. I don't know as much about what kind of mods nightingale makes, but unless he's big on graphics-related stuff, we can safely rule that out too. What we're left with seems to be a new aspect of gameplay. I don't know much about what UomoCapra and Badie are working on/known for either, but it's probably written somewhere in past Devnotes/Weeklies. That info can probably be used to narrow it down even further.

Thanks for all your work Nightingale :)

Mod support, as ever, is being considered during this time with language support being left open and optional for mod makers.

YESSSSSSSS, Thanks, :) I can't wait to add a stock translation for all of my mods :P

3 hours ago, Codraroll said:

I'd say we got a pretty neat hint regarding the secret news. Not anything overwhelming, but this line was interesting:

So it seems like the new secret feature is something that modders may "hook into". That seems to rule out a mere new planet, or parts changing appearance. I don't know as much about what kind of mods nightingale makes, but unless he's big on graphics-related stuff, we can safely rule that out too. What we're left with seems to be a new aspect of gameplay. I don't know much about what UomoCapra and Badie are working on/known for either, but it's probably written somewhere in past Devnotes/Weeklies. That info can probably be used to narrow it down even further.

Hook... A hook to attach stuff with? Like for example... anchors? And how would one place these anchors? Maybe by EVA-ing kerbals? 

Are the devs adding KIS/KAS to the game?? :confused::0.0: 

Spoiler

I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself... but what with these hints, it's becoming more and more difficult :P 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

4 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Hook... A hook to attach stuff with? Like for example... anchors? And how would one place these anchors? Maybe by EVA-ing kerbals? 

Are the devs adding KIS/KAS to the game?? :confused::0.0: 

I didn't mean hook as a double entendre... Just in the programming sense. :wink:

Edited by nightingale

a Little googling on "Hook" in the coding world.

Spoiler

In programming, a hook is a place and usually an interface provided in packaged code that allows a programmer to insert customized programming. For example, a programmer might want to provide code that analyzed how often a particular logic path was taken within a program. Or a progammer might want to insert an additional capability. Typically, hooks are provided for a stated purpose and are documented for the programmer.

Some writers use hook to also mean the program that gets inserted.

On Jan 7 in another thread Nightingale said this:

That would make for a good small mod, and I agree with the change.  I took a quick peek, and it's actually not easily possible with the way the current code is structured to do this in a mod though.  Perhaps for a future release, someone will add a hook or two in to allow this behaviour to be overridden. :wink:

I am guessing the secret project has to do with Planet Weather or planet Enviroments 

Edited by Redneck

5 minutes ago, nightingale said:

@Redneck - I may need to put that in formal logic language to verify your assertions.

if (A) → B ∴ C

A = Nightingale wrote a hook
B = There are hooks
C = Half Life 3 confirmed

Yup, looks sound.

lol well at least im trying. was I close? I know I know N.D.A. Just lie to me and tell me your working on multiplayer

Edited by Redneck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.