[1.12.X] Feline Utility Rovers v1.3.4 (28. April 2022)

Nils277

Update to 0.6.0 Make a wish

This is the biggest update for FUR so far with a whole lot of new parts and possibilities.

cv2MUcZ.png

Changelog:

Enhancements:

• Enhanced performance of all animated parts
  • The life support parts now have more storage options for Kerbalism
  • Rear Airlock and Rear Fueltank can now switch between head and rear lights

Localization:

• Added chinese translation 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f4a. Thanks to @ssd21345, @vosskftw and @Levin845 
  • Added (brazilian) portuguese translation 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f54. Thanks to @FellipeC
  • Added german translation 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f53
  • Updated spanish translations for new parts. Thanks to @bice
  • Added some missing translations for Kerbalism

New Parts:

• Added New Cockpit
  • Added Thruster
  • Added Thruster for sides
  • Added Adapter for Buffalo and Malemute
  • Added Legs
  • Added Flatbed ramp
  • Added height-adjustable docking bay (2x)
  • Added Utility Module
  • Added attachable Cargobags (3x)
  • Added Fuelcell for Roof
  • Added Thin Fuel Tank

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed multiple errors in the english texts
  • Fixed multiple logged warnings for configs

Download

oYvtZpW.png UVVt0OP.png lMOxt2k.png

@Horus The Utility Bay of the Rover can fit the small drill of the rover when moved a bit inwards. It also has  optional hole in to bottom to le the drill get through. There is also the fuelcell for the roof now whoch produces much more EC. Or did you mean something like that thermal generator that does not need and resources?

Edited by Nils277

2 hours ago, Nils277 said:

@Horus The Utility Bay of the Rover can fit the small drill of the rover when moved a bit inwards. It also has  optional hole in to bottom to le the drill get through. There is also the fuelcell for the roof now whoch produces much more EC. Or did you mean something like that thermal generator that does not need and resources?

Yeah, I know about those possibilities. But:

1. UtilityBay can house only 2 small drills. Too little for more industrial mobile rig. I'm attaching the drill from KPBS between rover modules, but it sticks out a bit (not nice from visual prospective).

2. I meant kind of mobile reactor (nuclear or else). It does need resources though (Uranite/Uranium or anything else required for nuclear reactions), producing depleted fuel (which, in its' turn can be enriched\recycled with a special module like Centrifuge (don't remember the proper name of it). I'm not really sure about this initiative though, 'cause it might make using solar power generators useless. But it could definitely allow to get more power with less parts, hence compacting bases. Moreover, those mobile reactors could be veeery useful in those cases when there's not enough sun for solar plants or there's no possibility to mine resource & convert them to fuel for fuelcells. You can make this module extremely expensive & heavy... or any other limitations (like, it should be stationary, deployed & operated by at least 1 kerbanaut) so that it wasn't the only one and the best option - there should be a place for decision... and a heavy one :)

Those requests are debatable, of course :) it's just an idea :)

Again, thanks for your awesome work :)

Edited by Horus

10 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Update to 0.6.0 Make a wish

All is nice, just...

1. Still no Ore canisters. "Attachable Cargobag" can fit, but kind of weird. And I hate to say 120 Ore storage is more compact than 75 Ore standard.

2. Roof fuel cells work as three canisters, but way less mass and stronger. Is it proper?

3. Legs probably would not touch surface retracted. Is any way to make it keep rover level on curved surface?

P.S.

8 hours ago, Horus said:

UtilityBay can house only 2 small drills. Too little for more industrial mobile rig. I'm attaching the drill from KPBS between rover modules, but it sticks out a bit (not nice from visual prospective).

If I'm not mistaken KBPS's drill works as 2,5 Juniors and more energy effective. So go Kerbal way - Just add more :wink:

Of course it would not be bad to have new one.

1 hour ago, Sebra said:

All is nice, just...

1. Still no Ore canisters. "Attachable Cargobag" can fit, but kind of weird. And I hate to say 120 Ore storage is more compact than 75 Ore standard.

2. Roof fuel cells work as three canisters, but way less mass and stronger. Is it proper?

3. Legs probably would not touch surface retracted. Is any way to make it keep rover level on curved surface?

P.S.

If I'm not mistaken KBPS's drill works as 2,5 Juniors and more energy effective. So go Kerbal way - Just add more :wink:

Of course it would not be bad to have new one.

Hmm, seems that the update need a rebalancing pass soon.

1. I forgot about the Ore Canister. Will put it in the list.
1.2 The Attachable Cargobag will be rebalanced to have less storage space.

2. Will make the roof one heavier and less efficient. I made the kanisters a bit heavier to keep the center of mass low to prevent the rover to flip over too often.

3. The legs should not touch the surface when retracted. Only when extended. You can change how much the legs will be deployed to level the rover.
But you are right, the rover can only be made level when the surfaces are only slightly curved. I think even longer legs would be unrealistic and unstable.

Edited by Nils277

2 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

3. The legs should not touch the surface when retracted. Only when extended. You can change how much the legs will be deployed to level the rover.

Of course they should not. And I hope they will not in motion. Sorry for my bad explanation.

And to be more clear, I asked about auto-leveling feature for extending legs on any surface.

Also, legs do not get automaticaly added to gear action group. I spectaculary failed to find "second" docking bay- one with windows on top, like on picture in patch post. Was it even added into patch release? And yes, all 3 cargobags need rebalansing, imo. They contain more than their canisterised conterparts, but weight less.

4 minutes ago, Antik said:

Also, legs do not get automaticaly added to gear action group. I spectaculary failed to find "second" docking bay- one with windows on top, like on picture in patch post. Was it even added into patch release? And yes, all 3 cargobags need rebalansing, imo. They contain more than their canisterised conterparts, but weight less.

Ahem:

11 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

2. Will make the roof one heavier and less efficient. I made the kanisters a bit heavier to keep the center of mass low to prevent the rover to flip over too often.

I believe that's intentional.  (And the bags should be lighter yet than normal - I'm guessing at the cost of durability.)

4 minutes ago, Antik said:

The legs are not added to that group because they use a normal animation and not the leg modules. I will take a look if i can make the to be added automatically to that group.

Well, i changed the second part a bit. It does not have any windows on the top anymore. They were kinda weird and prohibited a sane use of the solar panel or fuelcell for the roof. It is added and should be either in the "Coupling" tab of the filter or the 12.th part in the FUR filter.

6 minutes ago, Sebra said:

Of course they should not. And I hope they will not in motion. Sorry for my bad explanation.

And to be more clear, I asked about auto-leveling feature for extending legs on any surface.

Hmm auto leveling is a quite difficult task i did not find that important for FUR. I only found one, but it is not maintained anymore. I'm afraid this has to be done by hand.

6 minutes ago, DStaal said:

And the bags should be lighter yet than normal - I'm guessing at the cost of durability

Lighter, contain even more, more durable- that's some impressive space tech. But anyway- it's all up to modder.

5 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Would there be any issues with using the newest update in version 1.2.2?

Yes, all the parts that need the plugin won't work: No hitches/joints, no switchable fueltanks, no light switch, no docking bay etc.
Also you won't have any sane texts in the names or descriptions of the parts. Every text for the FUR parts would looks something like this: LOC_FUR.cockpit.title

So, no you can't really use thme in 1.2.2.

3 minutes ago, Antik said:

Lighter, contain even more, more durable- that's some impressive space tech. But anyway- it's all up to modder.

like i said. I will have to rebalance them. :wink: 

Edited by Nils277

9 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

Hmm auto leveling is a quite difficult task i did not find that important for FUR. I only found one, but it is not maintained anymore. I'm afraid this has to be done by hand.

Can you add actions to extend until (some condition) ?

For example Extend until touch surface.

If so, we can find formula for level condition.

Just found:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Coupling/ExtendibleDockingPort/Lynx_DockingBayPort'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Module ModuleDockingHatch threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.IsRelatedDockingNode (.ModuleDockingNode dockNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.CheckModuleDockingNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.isInDockedState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Getting tourists from a lander into a rover, to transfer them to a surface base for a vacation, was always a complete disaster. The rover's docking port had to align perfectly with both lander and base.

The extendable docking port is a game changer! This takes away so much frustration. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Just found:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Coupling/ExtendibleDockingPort/Lynx_DockingBayPort'

Module ModuleDockingHatch threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.IsRelatedDockingNode (.ModuleDockingNode dockNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.CheckModuleDockingNode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.isInDockedState () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ConnectedLivingSpace.ModuleDockingHatch.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Well, this is not a NRE from FUR but from ConnectedLivingSpace. Seems that it does have a problem with the docking bay. Not sure what this might be though because i don't know the code of CLS. I thinks is best asked in the thread of CLS with reference to this thread. 

9 hours ago, Sebra said:

Can you add actions to extend until (some condition) ?

For example Extend until touch surface.

If so, we can find formula for level condition.

That might be possible, but very time consuming. I'd have to write a completly custom module with animations for that and it won't be able to do something with 'generic' conditions though. So e.g. until touch surface might work (will also take some time because i have no idea how to detect collisions in KSP)
Maybe kOs can make something like that?

Update to 0.6.1 Another day another tweak
This is mostly a rebalancing and bug-fix update

Changelog:

New Parts:

• Added Freight Canister

Enhancements:

• Rebalanced all attachable Cargo Parts
  • The legs are now added to the Gear Action Group automatically
  • Tweaked displayed amount of resources for the switchable tanks

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed text for the extendible docking port for several languages

Download

oYvtZpW.png UVVt0OP.png lMOxt2k.png

Edited by Nils277

23 minutes ago, Sebra said:

Two update per day is too much :wink:

I know :wink: This will be handed in later when i make the update which adds the russian translation for the new parts. Will probably be 3. August at the earliest because i'll be on vacation starting from saturday. 

1 hour ago, Sebra said:

Do you know, how kOS can control it?

Rest well !

Thanks.

No, unfortunately not. I just found in another thread stating that this should be possible but I have not seen any working code yet. Even no independent mod for that feature.

I think that for normal legs this might not be possible with the current leg/suspension system. For legs with normal animations it should at least be possible though.

Edited by Nils277

Excellent looking update, sir. I look forward to trying it out next time I reinstall KSP.

Quick question/slight request, and believe me I hesitate to bring this up given your recent hard work and well deserved rest, but it's been on my mind since I saw the first screenshots of how buoyant these parts are and tested it for myself:

What are the possibilities of possibly seeing a part for waterborn propulsion? Like, maybe a rear part with a built-in impeller, like a jet ski engine?

I've tried equipping rovers (built using both your parts and the WildBlue Buffalo/Bison systems) with small Juno minijet engines, and while those work even when placed below the waterline they just don't have the power to push a substantial sized rover at more than about 20 m/s and they are horribly inefficient on fuel, made even worse on electric vehicles that typically don't carry fuel at all. Also, I often run into problems with the engines striking the ground when traveling over rough terrain and when entering the water.

Just a thought, mind. I'm not by any means trying to demand anything. This mod is brilliant and I thank you for whatever direction you take it in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.