[1.12.X] Feline Utility Rovers v1.3.4 (28. April 2022)

Nils277

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

I just wanted to chime in and argue against using scienceMultiplier as balance in any way.  It has a very important problem, that means in effect it should never be varied from stock in my opinion:

It's completely non-discoverable in-game.

Nothing in the game even hints that it even *can* change.  So changing it is just pulling pranks on the player, because they don't know you've done anything.  Change the processing rate, change how much science it can hold, but the multiplier should be treated as a black box that the player can't account for.

Just because the one stock part that has a science converter uses one value doesn't mean that modders should feel constrained to never use anything other than that value. 

It's there to be used. If it were not meant to be used then it would be a hard coded value and not read from the config.

4 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Just because the one stock part that has a science converter uses one value doesn't mean that modders should feel constrained to never use anything other than that value. 

It's there to be used. If it were not meant to be used then it would be a hard coded value and not read from the config.

It's not about the one stock part using one value.

It's about there being no interface for the player to *read* that value.  The fact that the value can change will surprise users - and will only be apparent once science labs have been deployed, and then they are as likely to think it's a bug with the modded part than that it's intentional.

If there were a better interface to see that it existed, I would have no trouble with using it.  But it's completely hidden from the player.

5 hours ago, Sebra said:

You mean this?

oriCoCY.jpg

I'll admit I never put that together with that function.  Which partly proves my point, though not entirely.

I will still maintain that not seeing it in the VAB means it's very hard for the users to make balance decisions - whether that extra mass or cost is worth it.

8 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I'll admit I never put that together with that function.  Which partly proves my point, though not entirely.

I will still maintain that not seeing it in the VAB means it's very hard for the users to make balance decisions - whether that extra mass or cost is worth it.

One option, though not a perfect one, is to mention it explicitly in the part description.

2 hours ago, Merkov said:

One option, though not a perfect one, is to mention it explicitly in the part description.

I had that thought too. That gives it more visibility than if it were to be added into the info panel and that's the only other way you'd get that information conveyed to you as a player. At least in the editor.

Any chance that the creator makes a ramp for the open cargo section? The normal cargo bays are quite small for a smaller rover unless it is really really tiny. I wanted to carry an Akita in the open bed of the lyns, but can't have a ramp for it :(

15 hours ago, Kerbart said:

I can't help but smile at the irony of that.

hmm, what irony? 

15 hours ago, Sebra said:

It was three "П" I suppose. :D

No it was more like  (tan(0.785398163) • THUMB • volumeMobileLab /  arcsin(-2π) • TOE • volumeBigLab) • ei•π. Sorry i was a bit harsh yesterday, have been a bit stressed out lately :wink: Maybe i should change it to maybe 5 times slower. Anything more would be a bit overpowered in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Darkona said:

Any chance that the creator makes a ramp for the open cargo section? The normal cargo bays are quite small for a smaller rover unless it is really really tiny. I wanted to carry an Akita in the open bed of the lyns, but can't have a ramp for it :(

Already planned.

@DStaal, @Starwaster, @Merkov the obscurity of the scienceMultiplier is indeed a problem. A tough call what to do with that...adding a "warning" in the description would be really needed when i keept it at 4 instead of 5 science per data...Maybe the slower conversion and the missing ability to "level up" Kerbals is enough to make the MobileLab not too overpowered 

Edited by Nils277

4 hours ago, Nils277 said:

@DStaal, @Starwaster, @Merkov the obscurity of the scienceMultiplier is indeed a problem. A tough call what to do with that...adding a "warning" in the description would be really needed when i keept it at 4 instead of 5 science per data...Maybe the slower conversion and the missing ability to "level up" Kerbals is enough to make the MobileLab not too overpowered 

What we really need is a plugin that alters the module info readout in the VAB...  (And then for it to be rolled into stock.)

11 hours ago, DStaal said:

What we really need is a plugin that alters the module info readout in the VAB...  (And then for it to be rolled into stock.)

Aren't players going to be less likely to read the info than the description, rather than more?

1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

Aren't players going to be less likely to read the info than the description, rather than more?

Maybe - but the description on most parts is flavor only: No real info.  (Not all parts, but most - including the stock parts.)  The info blocks are where you get details.

Fantastic Mod Nils227!

But I killed it and I can't fix it for the life of me.

The big and small freight containers can't hold anything but EC for me :(. I can see next fuel: and previous fuel: (instead of next resource as I can see on the KIS and LS containers). The expected list of options is also blank in the editor.

I have stripped out and reinstalled any mod that I think might have issues but no joy so far. Stock + FUR works fine though.

I'm sure its another mod mangling these parts but I just can't seem to track it down. I'm also very new to KSP so digging through the logs is a bit daunting. I found this mess with regards to these parts in specific but I couldn't find a smoking gun for the failure.

• [LOG 17:54:15.235] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Payload/Freight_Big/Lynx_FreightBig'
  • [LOG 17:54:15.240] [KerbetrotterTools]Config node Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  • [LOG 17:54:15.246] PartLoader: Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Payload/Freight_Big/Lynx_FreightBig' has no database record. Creating.
  • [LOG 17:54:15.249] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'Lynx.FreightBig'
  • [LOG 17:54:15.281] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Payload/Freight_Small/Lynx_FreightSmall'
  • [LOG 17:54:15.285] [KerbetrotterTools]Config node Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  • [LOG 17:54:15.291] PartLoader: Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Payload/Freight_Small/Lynx_FreightSmall' has no database record. Creating.
  • [LOG 17:54:15.294] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'Lynx.FreightSmall'

Has anyone else seen this fail? Otherwise any help as to what I should poke next would be greatly appreciated!

14 hours ago, megamike said:

Fantastic Mod Nils227!

But I killed it and I can't fix it for the life of me.

The big and small freight containers can't hold anything but EC for me :(. I can see next fuel: and previous fuel: (instead of next resource as I can see on the KIS and LS containers). The expected list of options is also blank in the editor.

I have stripped out and reinstalled any mod that I think might have issues but no joy so far. Stock + FUR works fine though.

I'm sure its another mod mangling these parts but I just can't seem to track it down. I'm also very new to KSP so digging through the logs is a bit daunting. I found this mess with regards to these parts in specific but I couldn't find a smoking gun for the failure.

• [LOG 17:54:15.235] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Payload/Freight_Big/Lynx_FreightBig'
  • [LOG 17:54:15.240] [KerbetrotterTools]Config node Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  • [LOG 17:54:15.246] PartLoader: Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Payload/Freight_Big/Lynx_FreightBig' has no database record. Creating.
  • [LOG 17:54:15.249] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'Lynx.FreightBig'
  • [LOG 17:54:15.281] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Payload/Freight_Small/Lynx_FreightSmall'
  • [LOG 17:54:15.285] [KerbetrotterTools]Config node Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  • [LOG 17:54:15.291] PartLoader: Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Payload/Freight_Small/Lynx_FreightSmall' has no database record. Creating.
  • [LOG 17:54:15.294] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'Lynx.FreightSmall'

Has anyone else seen this fail? Otherwise any help as to what I should poke next would be greatly appreciated!

This sounds like the templates for the resources are missing. 

Can you take a look at KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Templates and tell me what files are in there?

Maybe completely removing FUR and reinstalling it might help 

Edited by Nils277

5 hours ago, Nils277 said:

This sounds like the templates for the resources are missing. 

Can you take a look at KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Templates and tell me what files are in there?

Maybe completely removing FUR and reinstalling it might help 

I sure can!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcxalqlfpv1e6cj/FUR1.jpg?dl=0 <- List of files

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2b1ijez81wxqtt/Freight_Storage.cfg?dl=0 <- Copy of the freight .cfg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flvto3twulv0yu9/KSP.log?dl=0 <- KSP log I was digging through (I don't mind re-digging if you have some tips on what to look for, its a mess of mods!)

I tried removing FUR and reinstalling without any luck.

Thanks for the help Nils277 you freaking rock. It's honestly been quite fun bumbling through all these files. This fail (and the awesome community it led me to) has started my gears turning about what mods I can put together. This game is getting me through some brutal work trips so I really appreciate all the effort you guys put in!

(also thanks to the mystery mod who approves my newbieness!)

@megamike it appears that something went wrong in your download of MKS, USI-LS, Community Resource Pack, and Tweakscale (KSP threw 7 errors saying that various files were empty, including one that I know for a fact is not (because I wrote it :D)). Reinstalling CRP *might* fix your problem with FUR as it provides the definitions for the resources that you are missing and reinstalling the others will prevent other errors down the road so that's what I would recommend.

8 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@megamike it appears that something went wrong in your download of MKS, USI-LS, Community Resource Pack, and Tweakscale (KSP threw 7 errors saying that various files were empty, including one that I know for a fact is not (because I wrote it :D)). Reinstalling CRP *might* fix your problem with FUR as it provides the definitions for the resources that you are missing and reinstalling the others will prevent other errors down the road so that's what I would recommend.

Blarg what mess - thanks for taking the time to point that out.

I fixed them one by one, either checking GitHub to make sure they are blank and deleting them or reinstalling. The issue persisted however.

I removed mods one by one until I hit SimpleConstruction which fixed the problem! I added and removed NotSoSimpleConstruction a couple times to make sure that wasn't the problem and I was just too drunk to catch it.

I tried to dig a bit further but I'm afraid the newbie is strong with this one.

SimpleConstruction has:

• OreTanksSwitch.cfg which might mangle it.
Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Ore],#category[FuelTank],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ProceduralPart]] {
 MODULE
 {
  name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
  resourceNames = Ore;Metal;RocketParts
  resourceAmounts = #$../RESOURCE[Ore]/maxAmount$;$../RESOURCE[Ore]/maxAmount$;$../RESOURCE[Ore]/maxAmount$
  @resourceAmounts[2,;] *= 2
  tankMass = #$../mass$
  basePartMass = 0.0
  displayCurrentTankCost = true
  hasGUI = true
  availableInFlight = true
  availableInEditor = true
  showInfo = true
 }
}

• Resources.cfg which doesn't include Ore.
Spoiler
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = RocketParts
  density = 0.0025
  unitCost = 1
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Metal
  density = 0.0078
  unitCost = 0.5
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}

I'm going to fight them a bit but it certainly doesn't seem like an issue with FUR!

Any other insight would be great (just so I can put my brain to rest), but I can live without SC so it's not a big deal :)

Edit: I fought and lost. I also realized there is a new SimpleConstruction 3.4.3 which was released as I battled, the issue persists after upgrade though. Its odd that Ore shows up in other containers with it installed, but such is life.

Edited by megamike
Additional information

@megamike try changing the opening line of OreTanksSwitch.cfg to

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Ore],#category[FuelTank],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ProceduralPart],!MODULE[ModuleKerbetrotterResourceSwitch]] {

This should prevent the patch from applying to any FUR parts that use Nils' fuel switch module. Also, if you could post a link to your ModuleManager.ConfigCache that would show exactly what is being applied to the part.

6 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@megamike try changing the opening line of OreTanksSwitch.cfg to

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Ore],#category[FuelTank],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ProceduralPart],!MODULE[ModuleKerbetrotterResourceSwitch]] {

This should prevent the patch from applying to any FUR parts that use Nils' fuel switch module. Also, if you could post a link to your ModuleManager.ConfigCache that would show exactly what is being applied to the part.

Cheers again @TheRagingIrishman, but no joy I'm afraid. I also tried adding :NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch] as that has been requested on GitHub to resolve a module issue, but no luck there either.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzwlqbaor57c48d/ModuleManager.ConfigCache?dl=0 is after simple construction was installed but prior to adding your line above.

I hadn't poked that file yet so thanks for pointing it out! There is a ton of good info in there for troubleshooting.

I'm wondering if its the partial ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads stuff which is bundled with SimpleConstruction causing this and not the SC itself. I had a quick look between a normal EL install and the SC-EL install but I couldn't see any obvious callouts that are missing. Again, I'm no pro, there could be something obvious I missed.

You've put a smile on my face all day as I try to figure this out bud. Its been a great distraction. Next time I'm in your neck of the woods there are many beers to be had on me should you want them.

I usually hit Dublin->Galway but I could be convinced to make a trip up north :wink:

@megamike looking through your log, the only mods affecting Lynx_FreightBig that I don't use are FarFromKerbin, JettisonFuel, AmpYear, and KerbalKrashSystem but none of those affect the fuel switch. 

[LOG 19:00:17.822] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Payload/Freight_Big/Lynx_FreightBig'
[LOG 19:00:17.827] [KerbetrotterTools]Config node Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The problem is definitely ^ but I can't figure out for the life of me what's causing it :(. I'll mull over it tonight and see what I can think of.

Also, I'm actually living in Boston right now :D.

Hi,

I love this (and your other) mod, thanks!

Just a hint for other players who are sick of breaking the solar panels because of tip-overs while driving on Minmus: Use "Little Bigfoot"-legs from Nils277's "Planetary Base System"-Mod to on the edges of the roof to protect them.

6neOHc0.png

They have an impact-tolerance of 30m/s. I even have the legs in my abort-action so that they retract on backspace in case of losing control. Yes, its ugly as hell but "it works" :)

@Nils277: Maybe add a dedicated part for this purpose? Currently its very frustrating that the panels are breaking on every tip-over. Maybe something like an crash-airbag or tip-over-struct?

Also, not sure if you can do it: It would be VERY nice if Engineers could fix the solar-panels. Currently I need to have a few spare solar-panels inside the KIS-Kanister just for this purpose.

8 hours ago, sphere said:

Hi,

I love this (and your other) mod, thanks!

Just a hint for other players who are sick of breaking the solar panels because of tip-overs while driving on Minmus: Use "Little Bigfoot"-legs from Nils277's "Planetary Base System"-Mod to on the edges of the roof to protect them.

6neOHc0.png

They have an impact-tolerance of 30m/s. I even have the legs in my abort-action so that they retract on backspace in case of losing control. Yes, its ugly as hell but "it works" :)

@Nils277: Maybe add a dedicated part for this purpose? Currently its very frustrating that the panels are breaking on every tip-over. Maybe something like an crash-airbag or tip-over-struct?

Also, not sure if you can do it: It would be VERY nice if Engineers could fix the solar-panels. Currently I need to have a few spare solar-panels inside the KIS-Kanister just for this purpose.

Will put it on the list of possible new parts :wink: 

16 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@megamike looking through your log, the only mods affecting Lynx_FreightBig that I don't use are FarFromKerbin, JettisonFuel, AmpYear, and KerbalKrashSystem but none of those affect the fuel switch. 

[LOG 19:00:17.822] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Parts/Payload/Freight_Big/Lynx_FreightBig'
[LOG 19:00:17.827] [KerbetrotterTools]Config node Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The problem is definitely ^ but I can't figure out for the life of me what's causing it :(. I'll mull over it tonight and see what I can think of.

Also, I'm actually living in Boston right now :D.

The second line is generated by the plugin and states that at least one of the configurations for the storage types does not exist. I'm not sure what exactly is missing there though. Can you post the content of the freight_storage.cfg template? 

3 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Will put it on the list of possible new parts :wink: 

The second line is generated by the plugin and states that at least one of the configurations for the storage types does not exist. I'm not sure what exactly is missing there though. Can you post the content of the freight_storage.cfg template? 

Spoiler
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT
{
 name = Ore
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Ore
        amount = 0
        maxAmount = 600
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[MKS]
{
 name = ColonySupplies
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = ColonySupplies
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[Pathfinder|MKS]
{
 name = Commodities
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = ExoticMinerals
        amount = 750
        maxAmount = 750
    }

RESOURCE
    {
        name = RareMetals
        amount = 750
        maxAmount = 750
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[Pathfinder]
{
 name = Coolant
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Coolant
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[Pathfinder|Workshop|MKS]
{
 name = Dirt
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Dirt
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Equipment
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Equipment
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[Pathfinder|Workshop]
{
 name = ExoticMinerals
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = ExoticMinerals
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Fertilizer
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Fertilizer
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = FusionPellets
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = FusionPellets
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[DeepFreeze]
{
 name = Glykerol
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Glykerol
        amount = 750
        maxAmount = 750
    }
}
{
 name = Gypsum
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Gypsum
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Hydrates
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Hydrates
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Karbonite
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Karbonite
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Karborundum
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Karborundum
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Konkrete
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Konkrete
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Lead
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Lead
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = LqdHydrogen
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = LqdHydrogen
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Machinery
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Machinery
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[Workshop|MKS]
{
 name = MaterialKits
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = MaterialKits
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[Pathfinder|MKS&!ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads|MKS]
{
 name = MetallicOre
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = MetallicOre
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]
{
 name = MetalOre
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = MetalOre
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[Pathfinder|MKS&!ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads|MKS]
{
 name = Metals
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Metals
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads]
{
 name = Metal
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Metal
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}

{
 name = Minerals
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Minerals
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Organics
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Organics
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Polymers
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Polymers
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}

KERBETROTTER_FREIGHT:NEEDS[Pathfinder|Workshop]
{
 name = RareMetals
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = RareMetals
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Recyclables
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Recyclables
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = RefinedExotics
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = RefinedExotics
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = ResearchKits
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = ResearchKits
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = RocketParts
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = RocketParts
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Silicates
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Silicates
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Silicon
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Silicon
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Slag
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Slag
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = SpecializedParts
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = SpecializedParts
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Substrate
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Substrate
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Uraninite
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Uraninite
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}
{
 name = Water
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Water
        amount = 1700
        maxAmount = 1700
    }
}

Glad to @Nils277!

I don't have pathfinder installed. Could the :NEEDS[Pathfinder] on the rocketparts line cause this? I updated it to :NEEDS[ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads] like metal is as a stab in the dark but no joy there either :(

I'm going to get some coffee and I'll have another look for any other clues :)

As always, thanks for your time guys!

Edit: Just for clarity, without simpleconstruction (and the bundled partial EL) installed my available options match exactly what I would expect from a virgin freight_storage.cfg. I just doublechecked that rocketparts is missing as I would expect without pathfinder installed.

Edited by megamike
Additional information

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.