[1.12.X] Feline Utility Rovers v1.3.4 (28. April 2022)

Nils277

13 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

Welcome to the forums! There's probably an install issue. If you could post a picture of your GameData folder, we may have a bit more of a clear idea. File tree should be GameData - KerbetrotterLtd - FelineUtilityRover and it needs the Kerbetrotter Tools to also be in the KerbetrotterLtd folder.

now it works! thanks!

On 15.8.2017 at 2:09 AM, Boswell said:

I'm having some trouble getting the bellow joint and hitch to work. During testing on the runway, and possibly everywhere else, I can't see an 'unlock' button in the right click menu. The spring and dampers sliders are there and seem to work when tested (ramming it backwards into the SPH) but the joints remain rigid and there's no way to unlock them as described in the instructions. If I right click in the hangar, unlock is there, but obviously doesn't do anything as it's in the hangar (nor does this have any effect on the launched craft.) At the top of the right click menu it says "inoperable" on both the bellow and the hitch. Extendy docking ports still function (though they were rigid too, not sure if that's intended though.)

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there perhaps a conflicting mod?

Supercool mod by the way, can't wait to get it off Kerbin. I can't stop adding stuff to my science vehicle though, it looks more like a plank than anything navigable, and might be tricky to get anywhere useful. If I can get these pesky hitches to work, the Space Train is off to the Mun! Choo choo, moisture farmers!

Hmm, the "Inoperable" text for the hitch and joint indicate that there has something really gone wrong. Also when unlocking the parts in the hangar it should also have them unlocked in flight.
Can you post a screenshot of your craft as well as the "KSP.log" file from your KSP main directory? (the log as link please)

Also did you take a look at the KSPedia entries for the hitches? They need a strict setup for work properly. 

No problem, here it is in the SPH. What I hadn't noticed before was that clicking Unlock doesn't actually change anything, the status remains 'locked'.

This is it on the runway.

Here's a screenshot of my mod folder. (You can discount TweakScale and Interstellar as I installed these after I had the problem with the rover)

KSP.log is on the way (it's 100 MB for some reason)

7 minutes ago, Boswell said:

No problem, here it is in the SPH. What I hadn't noticed before was that clicking Unlock doesn't actually change anything, the status remains 'locked'.

This is it on the runway.

Here's a screenshot of my mod folder. (You can discount TweakScale and Interstellar as I installed these after I had the problem with the rover)

KSP.log is on the way (it's 100 MB for some reason)

Hmm, from looking at the rover it should work. At least the joint is build exactly like it should.
One thing i saw in your GameData folder is KerbalJointReinforcement. There have been some issues with it in the past, but that should have been solved with the latest patch of KJR. You could try to remove it and see if the Joints are working then.

Wow, 100MB for the Log file is really a whole lot :o Usually for me it is only about 1-2 MB max. This might be an indicator that KSP is logging really a lot of errors that occur at very update. But i will have to look at the log to be sure.

Edited by Nils277

Here you go. Hope you know what to ctrl-F because I just had a look and it's a mess in there!

Thanks, I'll try removing KJR and see if it has any effect. There's a couple of other mods I noticed that aren't supported anymore (EnhancedNavBall for instance,) I'll try getting rid of those too. If nothing else it might kill some of those errors clogging up the log.

39 minutes ago, Boswell said:

Here you go. Hope you know what to ctrl-F because I just had a look and it's a mess in there!

Thanks, I'll try removing KJR and see if it has any effect. There's a couple of other mods I noticed that aren't supported anymore (EnhancedNavBall for instance,) I'll try getting rid of those too. If nothing else it might kill some of those errors clogging up the log.

Yes there are a lot mods that are causing problems in the log.

I found those (but there may be more):

• EnhancedNavBall
  • Firespitter
  • ModStatistics
  • HideEmptyTechTreeNodes
  • NavBallAdjustor
  • IRSurfaceSampler
  • KSPAPIExtensions
  • ProceduralFairings
  • EnhancedNavBall
  • ProceduralParts
  • Protractor

I'd definitely remove Protractor and ProceduralParts. These two mods cause the majority of the listed bugs. Where Protractor causes the most logged errors but ProceduralParts interferes the most with other mods, also with the FUR plugin.

Regarding the joint, i found that in the Editor the plugin logs the error that the Joint does not have a parent, meaning it is (most probably) the root part of the vessel. I though i configured the part in a way that preventes it from becoming root in the editor but there seems to be something really wrong. More interesting is that the joint does not find any parts it is connected to when in flight. This renders it completely inoperable. This should acutally NEVER be the case. This can only happen when the vessel only consists of one part. Which is not the case in your vessel.

The only reason i can come up with is that at least one of the mods (maybe KJR) messes around with the connections/nodes between the parts and therefore completely confuses the plugin for the joint.
If it is not KJR and is not fixed by removing or updating all outdated/incompatible mods, i fear the only way to find the mod FUR is interfering with is to remove all other mods and add them one by one until the error occures.  

Edited by Nils277

Thanks for the help, I've actually just got done removing KJR and Enhanced NavBall (none of the others yet, I'm afraid they'll break my in-flight crafts) and it looks like the problem is fixed. It also looks like I might need to rethink the rover design...

As a modder, do you know of anyway to remove the bulk of the protractor plugin while leaving the part, or some kind of placeholder? Perhaps a way to go in and edit out the part from all my crafts before getting rid of the mod?

Thanks again!

Good to hear that removing KJR fixed the bug.
I'm really sure it worked with 3.3.2 of KJR, will have to take a look what now causes this problem...

16 minutes ago, Boswell said:

It also looks like I might need to rethink the rover design...

Seriously had to laugh about this one :D 
You can increase the spring and damping value to make the joint a bit less bendy :wink: 

Btw you can change the shape of the underbody thruster to fit in the wide place in the right click menu in the editor.

16 minutes ago, Boswell said:

As a modder, do you know of anyway to remove the bulk of the protractor plugin while leaving the part, or some kind of placeholder?

In the Protractor folder you can remove everything except for the "Parts" folder. This should fix the problem and still save your crafts.

Edited by Nils277

39 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

Btw you can change the shape of the underbody thruster to fit in the wide place in the right click menu in the editor.

Wow, I'm almost as happy about this as I am fixing the bendy joint problem!

I'll go and give that Protractor fix a shot and report (Edit: Success!). Thanks for all the help!

Edited by Boswell
Status Update

How about another teaser of the hover engines?

sgxnixx.png

They are already able to work like normal engines but can switch to a hover mode, where they hold the altitude over the terrain. This concludes step one of the development of the engines.

Step 1: Hover engine controlled by a PID-Controller. You will be able to change the parameters of the controller to your likings. DONE

Step 2: Fuel consumption and atmosphere curves for the engines. DONE

Step 3: Control module for the engine. Meaning ways to rotate, accelerate and stride with the help of the engines. IN PROCESS

Step 4: Remaining Visuals (textures and animation). TODO

Edited by Nils277
Edit: Step 2 done

I just experienced the bellows joint bug too, and found out that you can add this line to the KJR config file:

<string name="exemptModuleType5">ModuleKerbetrotterRotateBetween</string>

just after <string name="exemptModuleType4">ModuleKerbetrotterHitch</string>

And it will work again, without having to remove KJR. So might need KJR to update it's default cfg file to fix it.

4 hours ago, Rodger said:

I just experienced the bellows joint bug too, and found out that you can add this line to the KJR config file:

<string name="exemptModuleType5">ModuleKerbetrotterRotateBetween</string>

just after <string name="exemptModuleType4">ModuleKerbetrotterHitch</string>

And it will work again, without having to remove KJR. So might need KJR to update it's default cfg file to fix it.

This is really weird. Acutally the module you named only does visual things with transforms that do not affect the hitch.
Also tried it with KJR now and it works for me also without your tweak...

Maybe it has something to do with the sequence in which the modules are loaded and change the module :/

33 minutes ago, mostlydave said:

I can't wait for flying rovers! Will the fans also provide forward thrust?

From the image: I doubt it.  You'll notice he has rockets to provide forward thrust.  :wink:

(You can probably get a bit with a good SAS system: Tilt the rover forward, and get some angle on the fans.)

Actually...  Will the fans work as RCS?  It tends to help make flying these things easier...

@mostlydave and @DStaal The thruster in the Screenshot is only temporary. Ideally the rotors should tilt when the user hits the control keys. This allows to accelerate, decelerate, stride left and right and rotate horizontally (Thats what is step 3). The thrusters will also be able to always point towards the ground automatically (already working).

Edited by Nils277

1 hour ago, sirrliv said:

Will these rotors work over water as well as land?

Also, what sort of fuel system do they use, liquid fuel or electric, or are they switchable between the two like in the Mk.4 Spaceplane mod?

Yes and Yes.

The rotors will work on both land and water and they will also be able to switch between electric and liquid fuel mode.

Edited by Nils277

Hi,

this is a great mod!!! I love it.

I have found a little issue with the FelineRover-ManmuteRover adapter part. With ConnectedLivingSpace this Adapter seperates the crew compartments into two or more sections, because it isn't passable. Maybe can be fixt in the next release.

Edited by technikadonis

Another update of the hover engines :)

GIF

The controls are done and have the following possibilities:

• Accelerate and decelerate the vessel forwards and backwards
  • Accelerate and decelerate the vessel sideways
  • Control horizontal rotation of the vessel
  • Change the hover height

Additionally the engines are able to:

• Automatically face towards the ground (if possible)
  • Automatically cancel horizontal rotation if desired
  • Automatically cancel lateral speed if desired
  • Cancel any movement and rotation when the brake is enabled.

This concludes step 3 of 4 for the hover engines:

Step 1: Hover engine controlled by a PID-Controller. You will be able to change the parameters of the controller to your likings. DONE
Step 2: Fuel consumption and atmosphere curves for the engines. DONE
Step 3: Control module for the engine. DONE
Step 4: Visuals (textures and animation). TODO

As an additional information:
The engines as well as their controls do not use any kind of cheaty system to accomplish the desired effects. All controls take the input as well as the state of the vessel to accomplish the desired effects be tilting in the right way. There are no phantom forces used for hovering, staying stable, accelerate etc. 

The engines are also still usable as normal engines to fly around. They are not restricted to hover.

Edited by Nils277

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.