[1.12.X] Feline Utility Rovers v1.3.4 (28. April 2022)

Nils277

Right-click and drag the slider for the hover height. If it doesn't come up, you've installed it incorrectly.

17 minutes ago, JediRangerkendor said:

How do I increase the hover height of the engines?

1 minute ago, Skywalket said:

Right-click and drag the slider for the hover height. If it doesn't come up, you've installed it incorrectly.

There. Fixed.

I've struggled i little bit, but finally found what was the problem. There is small bug with the hover engines.

When i first tried them i overlooked the STOWED option, and instead i rotated  the engine manually to desired position. On the runway however, i could start the engine in any mode and adjust the power, but i could not steer in any direction. Only after i unchecked stowed in hangar i could finally use steering and move the craft properly. But it was quite tricky to realise since engines were actually functioning.

I think that stowed engines should not be able to start , or should auto unfold on launch/stage, or at least have that indicator light red when stowed. It took me almost an hour to figure out why i can lift the craft but not steer after, only hoovering in place.

Another thing i noticed - hoover engines tend to tilt right or left once they reach full speed and acceleration button is still pressed.

PS:

How about spider legs?

Edited by UfoL

I really like the parts and how they go together. I came for the flexible joints but was amazed at the small details like the extending ladders or the running board mounts.

Edited by Laie

Wishlist items:

• Some sort of active cooling part, maybe about the size of the thin or small cargo bay capable of around 800-1200 kW
  • A longer flat bed section that is twice the length of the largest existing flat bed section

Really loving the stability of the Lynx rovers and the flexible joint.  Even at 50 m/s in the tundra, I was unable to make one flip (even without SAS turned on).

Hello, I absolutely love this mod!
I have a suggestion. I want to make a land train with front part that can detach and drive on its own. 
I need a flexible joint that can decouple. I've been thinking about something like this but well, you see it won't work like that.

sa0AJIc.png

Another suggestion is an inline cockpit. So that the rest of the train can drive on its own. 

Edited by sashan

@sashan I think the hitch parts (active + passive + docking) already do what you want. You can couple and decouple with them and they are flexible.

If you want something like the joint with bellows that can dock and undock, then i have to dissapoint you. As you can see it with the hitch, there need to be three parts to allow docking + flexibility. This is due to a restriction of KSP/Unity, meaning that a part that can dock cannot be flexible. I know that the Claw kinda has both but there must be some additional internal code allowing this that is not available to us modders. At least i have not found a way to allow make this work reliable.

If you are happy with the hitch parts doing the job, then you can use the "Lynx Front" part in front of the the hitch as inline control part.

Edited by Nils277

@Nils277 I am trying to add a compatibility patch for this mod to work better with the Simple Construction mod; the only part I could see that currently conflicts with current SC configs is the [Lynx_DrillRear] part located in the EPL.cfg file in the mod folders. It conflicts because Simple Construction does not use MetalOre, it simply uses Ore-->Metal. I like this because it is less convoluted.

Anyways, I came up with the following patch:

@PART[Lynx_DrillRear]:AFTER[FelineUtilityRover]
{
-MODULE[ModuleResourceHarvester]{}
}

I've tested it and it doesn't work, it simply deletes the first [ModuleResourceHarvester] Module or entity, I am assuming, instead of the second one which is the MetalOre one.

Any idea on how to get it to remove the second [ModuleResourceHarvester] using MetalOre instead of the first using Ore?

Thanks, I just started dabbling in KSP modding because why not, and I'm not sure how to solve this issue yet.

Edited by Jalaris

@Jalaris

A good resource for MM patches it the ModuleManager Syntax Site. However i looked at the syntax for deleting and there are only two ways possible, the one you used, deleting the first occurance of a certain module and deleting a module by index, but without naming needed type. The seconds however is very prone to errors when the index of the ModuleResourceHarvester changes when e.g another one is added by a config that supports another mod.

But i can change the original EPL.cfg to not add the module when Simple Construction is installed. :wink: 

8 hours ago, Nils277 said:

@Jalaris

A good resource for MM patches it the ModuleManager Syntax Site. However i looked at the syntax for deleting and there are only two ways possible, the one you used, deleting the first occurance of a certain module and deleting a module by index, but without naming needed type. The seconds however is very prone to errors when the index of the ModuleResourceHarvester changes when e.g another one is added by a config that supports another mod.

But i can change the original EPL.cfg to not add the module when Simple Construction is installed. :wink: 

Oh sure, thanks for your help Nils277! I got it to work by just deleting both of the ModuleResourceHarvester modules, and then adding back in your code for the first one, but this seemed sloppy, so I am glad you replied!

I.... I think I love this mod. The hover setting on the scorpions is better than anything TCA controlled I ever came up with. Plus the fact that they're bi-modal and I don't have to bother with a blimp if I don't want to any more and the translation controls and height adjustment and bwahhhhhhhhh! I think this is my new favorite thing to play with. It used to be HL Airships + Spaceplane Plus electric RCS & propellers but honestly just the hover mode alone takes the cake. Can't wait to see what you add next.

Now to design a shuttle-thing that can hover around and go to/from Duna surface/orbit.

Edit: Oh my god the hover works over water too. <3

Edited by Immashift

11 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

Another part list request (although I will probably use MM to create a copy of one of the crew cabins):  Something equivalent to the 'Duna' Logistics Center or 'Tundra' Pioneer - Logistics Module that can pull from USI Planetary Logistics.

A quick comment on that: RoverDude already thinks the logistics centers in MKS are too small.  The correct size/part for a logistics center in Nils' mod collection is probably a fully-assembled *garage* from KPBS.  In other words, it should be the place where rovers like this one come and dock with the base, are unloaded/loaded, and then sent out again.

Really, there shouldn't be one in this form factor at all.  These rovers aren't bases where the logistics centers coordinate rovers coming and going - they are the rovers which are coming and going.

Been experimenting with rolled over rovers (often sleeping on their back or side after an intentional 30-40 m/s accident).  At the moment, I've had to resort to USI Survival Pack floats (which can be expanded slowly, so less Kraken-summoning).  Still takes a slight bit of rocking back and forth.

Looking at the list of Lynx parts, the outrigger stabilizer could almost be useful for righting a toppled rover if there was a variant on it that just pushed a foot out (straight out, no bending, like a hydraulic ram) to a distance of about 2-3m (60-70% the width of the rover).  A handful of those on the rover, at various angles, that I could extend / retract individually could be used to put things right side up.

23 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

Been experimenting with rolled over rovers (often sleeping on their back or side after an intentional 30-40 m/s accident).  At the moment, I've had to resort to USI Survival Pack floats (which can be expanded slowly, so less Kraken-summoning).  Still takes a slight bit of rocking back and forth.

Looking at the list of Lynx parts, the outrigger stabilizer could almost be useful for righting a toppled rover if there was a variant on it that just pushed a foot out (straight out, no bending, like a hydraulic ram) to a distance of about 2-3m (60-70% the width of the rover).  A handful of those on the rover, at various angles, that I could extend / retract individually could be used to put things right side up.

I patched my game to allow my rovers to shift their mass closer to the wheels using Realism Overhaul's CoM shifter. (used for descent mode to give pods lifting reentry capability)

Once they are on the ground, or maybe earlier during descent I activate it and they become more stable.

On 21.11.2017 at 6:17 PM, UfoL said:

I've struggled i little bit, but finally found what was the problem. There is small bug with the hover engines.

When i first tried them i overlooked the STOWED option, and instead i rotated  the engine manually to desired position. On the runway however, i could start the engine in any mode and adjust the power, but i could not steer in any direction. Only after i unchecked stowed in hangar i could finally use steering and move the craft properly. But it was quite tricky to realise since engines were actually functioning.

I think that stowed engines should not be able to start , or should auto unfold on launch/stage, or at least have that indicator light red when stowed. It took me almost an hour to figure out why i can lift the craft but not steer after, only hoovering in place.

Another thing i noticed - hoover engines tend to tilt right or left once they reach full speed and acceleration button is still pressed.

PS:

How about spider legs?

Hmm...yeah it is a bit confusing with the engines. I made them to be still usable as normal engines when folded because the other options seemed to be even less intuitive.

• When the engines are unfolded as soon as they are started or staged it would cause many explosion when one wants to start the engines inside a cargobay. It would not be possible to have the engines running in idle in a cargo bay otherwise
  • When the engines simply don't work when folded it causes many problems confusion when they are staged and still not working.

I will add a node to the user when toggling to hover mode with stowed engines that informs the user that they do not hover when stowed.

The tilting is a problem causes by the interaction of the controller to prevent lateral movement and the controller that cancels rotation. You can lower/remove this effect by altering the I controller value of the speed controller.

Update to 1.0.5 ~Science Away!~ 

Changelog:

Enhancements:

• The user is now warned when trying to activate the hover mode when the engines are stowed

New Parts:

• Added Material Bay for the Rover
  • Nuclear Fuel is now stored in a separate tank and can be transfered

Localization:

• Partially updated chinese translation. Thanks to @ssd21345
  • Updated brazilian-portuguese translations. Thanks to @FellipeC
  • Updated spanish translations. Thanks to @bice
  • Updated russian translations. Thanks to @Sebra

Mod Support:

• Enhanced support for Simple Construction
  • Updated support for USI-LS

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed missing light toggle in the right click menu for rear lights

Download:

oYvtZpW.png UVVt0OP.png lMOxt2k.png
Edited by Nils277

@Nils277 Love the latest additions to the mod.  I've been on 1.3 for a while, and just discovered the new parts you've added going to 1.3.1.   This is by far my favorite rover.

I've been having some slightly weird issues with the rear drill.  When using MKS, it doesn't have the right action events in the VAB, and has extra and confusing buttons such as start asteroid drill, which the cfg shows it should be deleted with MKS.  Two of the buttons kind of confuse it if they are clicked by accident when landed.

I've created a config file that uses the MEU-100 drill and the Lynx rear drill as a base to see if I could correct the problem, and I think I've got it worked out.  I didn't want to mess with the existing one, as it has other mods supported I don't use, and I'm still learning the MM syntax.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xEQx1LK2LrVx9BI2bqjzOjpTE73f58sH

All of the actions in the VAB match the USI drill, and the buttons match and work correctly when landed compared to the MEU-100.

I just wanted to share the config.

I am enjoying this mod except for one small gripe and that is that the rover windows do not light up. Only the cockpits and rear modules have the ability to turn on lights, and the cockpit windows do not light up (however when I mouse over them, when they turn green their windows appear to be glowing like lights are on so I am assuming this is a bug). The crew module and lab module, along with any other windowed modules, don't have lights, and this is disappointing.

Additionally, the scorpion hover engines are very confusing. They have mount points, but when placed under the rover, they clip through it. On top of that, when I engaged a small drone with two of them, it wouldn't move. The engines were on and it was sort of shaking a little bit, but it wasn't responding to input. Eventually it went flying off doing 15 backflips per second and crashed into the ground. Luckily I have Kerbal Krash System so it just crippled one of the engines and the brave kerbal I had sitting in a command seat didn't die. Can you make a structural piece to put under the rover and then put them on so that they don't clip? Also, please elaborate on how you are supposed to get the engines work, like a step by step image/video tutorial (even if it is supposed to be really simple).

Very good job on the IVAs. I would really like to see a new type of wheel and cockpit in the future.

Edited by Pavel ☭

I would also like to ask for a rear freight module (that holds ore and stuff). Also, a chassis piece with nothing on it would be fun to play around with, though it is kind of useless so I doubt that would ever exist.

Edited by Pavel ☭

10 hours ago, Pavel ☭ said:

I am enjoying this mod except for one small gripe and that is that the rover windows do not light up. Only the cockpits and rear modules have the ability to turn on lights, and the cockpit windows do not light up (however when I mouse over them, when they turn green their windows appear to be glowing like lights are on so I am assuming this is a bug). The crew module and lab module, along with any other windowed modules, don't have lights, and this is disappointing.

Additionally, the scorpion hover engines are very confusing. They have mount points, but when placed under the rover, they clip through it. On top of that, when I engaged a small drone with two of them, it wouldn't move. The engines were on and it was sort of shaking a little bit, but it wasn't responding to input. Eventually it went flying off doing 15 backflips per second and crashed into the ground. Luckily I have Kerbal Krash System so it just crippled one of the engines and the brave kerbal I had sitting in a command seat didn't die. Can you make a structural piece to put under the rover and then put them on so that they don't clip? Also, please elaborate on how you are supposed to get the engines work, like a step by step image/video tutorial (even if it is supposed to be really simple).

Very good job on the IVAs. I would really like to see a new type of wheel and cockpit in the future.

The rover windows light up just fine for me.  Note that they aren't in the 'lights' action group by default.  (You can of course add them - but they're just glow panels, not illumination sources.)

The Scorpion engines are designed to be placed on the *side* of your rover, and then folded down.   Without using hover mode it does take some balancing to get a craft to work.  Enable hover mode.

Both of these issues make me think you haven't looked carefully at the right-click menus on these parts.  It's worth taking a look at.  :wink:

8 hours ago, Pavel ☭ said:

I would also like to ask for a rear freight module (that holds ore and stuff). Also, a chassis piece with nothing on it would be fun to play around with, though it is kind of useless so I doubt that would ever exist.

There is a rear fuel tank.  I can't remember off the top of my head what it can be switched to, but I know it has a fair number of options.  Or just put a bumper on any of the freight models that carry what you want.

8 hours ago, DStaal said:

The rover windows light up just fine for me.  Note that they aren't in the 'lights' action group by default.  (You can of course add them - but they're just glow panels, not illumination sources.

They do not have a right click function for turning on their lights. I am using the CKAN install and a number of other mods.

The Scorpion engines are designed to be placed on the *side* of your rover, and then folded down. 

I know this, it doesn't look good since most of the sides of the parts of the rover either has a door, window, or some other detail or writing on it. A structural piece that lets you attach them to the underside would look better, is all. It would also make use of the node the engines have that is at present not useful but would be if there was an underside attachment piece for them.

Without using hover mode it does take some balancing to get a craft to work.  Enable hover mode.

I was. After a while of toggling hover mode and turning the engines on and off, eventually the craft went flying and flipping.

Both of these issues make me think you haven't looked carefully at the right-click menus on these parts.  It's worth taking a look at.  :wink:

I have looked through them. The only parts with completely functional light system are all the red back lights and the headlights, as well as the rear airlock's window. There is no "toggle lights" or any button that turns on lights for the crew part or lab, and the cockpit lights only turn on the headlights, while the cockpit windows themselves are glitched; they used to only glow as if their lights were on when I hovered my mouse over them and subsequently had the green filter over the part, however, now the lights stay on when I move my mouse away; but when turning the lights off I must do the same thing when the headlights are off in order to turn off the window lights. I have used the hover option for the engines. Granted I did have landing gear clipping into them but they were part of the craft so they shouldn't have done such a thing. Unfortunately hover mode was not enough to stop the violent flipping.

There is a rear fuel tank.  I can't remember off the top of my head what it can be switched to, but I know it has a fair number of options.  Or just put a bumper on any of the freight models that carry what you want.

The fuel tank only lets you carry fuel or batteries, not ore.

Also, the bumper doesn't have rear lights on it. Granted, there is another unmanned command module that can act as either the front or back that I discovered that I can make do with, but I would rather have a freight version of the rear fuel tank.

I'm not saying the problem is actually this mod having incomplete work done to it. But that doesn't change the fact that the features are broken for me, and I have no idea what could be causing the problem.

Edited by Pavel ☭

On 22.12.2017 at 4:39 AM, Pavel ☭ said:

Do you have windowshine installed as a mod per chance? Animated lights in the windows and windowshine are not compatible. Therefore the cabin lights are disabled/not working when windowshine is installed.

On 22.12.2017 at 6:26 AM, Pavel ☭ said:

Might add one in the future.

16 hours ago, Pavel ☭ said:

I know this, it doesn't look good since most of the sides of the parts of the rover either has a door, window, or some other detail or writing on it. A structural piece that lets you attach them to the underside would look better, is all. It would also make use of the node the engines have that is at present not useful but would be if there was an underside attachment piece for them.

Such a structural piece might be a good idea. Will put it on the list of parts to add.

I was. After a while of toggling hover mode and turning the engines on and off, eventually the craft went flying and flipping.

I have looked through them. The only parts with completely functional light system are all the red back lights and the headlights, as well as the rear airlock's window. There is no "toggle lights" or any button that turns on lights for the crew part or lab, and the cockpit lights only turn on the headlights, while the cockpit windows themselves are glitched; they used to only glow as if their lights were on when I hovered my mouse over them and subsequently had the green filter over the part, however, now the lights stay on when I move my mouse away; but when turning the lights off I must do the same thing when the headlights are off in order to turn off the window lights. I have used the hover option for the engines. Granted I did have landing gear clipping into them but they were part of the craft so they shouldn't have done such a thing. Unfortunately hover mode was not enough to stop the violent flipping.

This should not happen. Are you sure that all engines ad the hover mode enabled? Maybe you can post an image of the craft so we can see what might cause this?

Also, the bumper doesn't have rear lights on it.

It does. When you are in the VAB/SPH you can switch the lights settgins on various parts. The bumper has the options for "No Light", "Rear Light" and "Front Light"

Edited by Nils277

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.