[1.12.X] Feline Utility Rovers v1.3.4 (28. April 2022)

Nils277

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:54 AM, Nils277 said:

Can you post what mods you have installed and the KSP.log file when you have problems with the resources? What can you see when you have no other mod installed? There should be at least Ore in the freight container.

Nils have the same problem with resources, ore doesn't appear have the same issue in 3 different computers 2 pcs and a mac. 1 of the pc and the mac have near stock installs and the problem appears also, no issues with the lfo tanks

rafael

25 minutes ago, Rafael acevedo said:

Nils have the same problem with resources, ore doesn't appear have the same issue in 3 different computers 2 pcs and a mac. 1 of the pc and the mac have near stock installs and the problem appears also, no issues with the lfo tanks

rafael

Hmm, can you post a KSP.log from one of the PCs with near vanilla installs? I just tried with just FUR, FUR+CRP, FUR+CRP+CCK and FUR+CRP+CCK+OSE Workshop and it all worked as intended. Also tried with different languages but no difference.

Edit: Question regarding the missing resources. Is the list of possible resource in the "Resource Switch" Module in the freight container empty, or is the module itself missing when you right click on the part in the VAB/SPH? Can you post a screenshot of it?

Edited by Nils277

12 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Hmm, can you post a KSP.log from one of the PCs with near vanilla installs? I just tried with just FUR, FUR+CRP, FUR+CRP+CCK and FUR+CRP+CCK+OSE Workshop and it all worked as intended. Also tried with different languages but no difference.

Edit: Question regarding the missing resources. Is the list of possible resource in the "Resource Switch" Module in the freight container empty, or is the module itself missing when you right click on the part in the VAB/SPH? Can you post a screenshot of it?

Screen shot attached, be aware that this only affects cargo containers, fuel tanks work fine, once I get to my other pc I will send you the log 

Here is the log for my heaviest modified install https://www.dropbox.com/s/200btbn6mok0s1q/output_log.txt?dl=0 ,

Here is the link to log for light install https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3vdoc7kcvzv2df/output_log_light install.txt?dl=0

Here is the link for the mac file. it works on the mac fine https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3vdoc7kcvzv2df/output_log_light install.txt?dl=0   

it is possible you might focus on the mods that are not on the pc to figure the conflict 

mPFg2QI.jpg

Edited by Rafael acevedo
corrections

@Rafael acevedo Found the error. It is caused by Simple Construction. This mod also adds the plugin and main folder of EPL which causes the config to add MetalOre to the Freight Container. Problem is, that this resource is not defined.

Will adapt the config to also handle Simple Construction and change the plugin to check for unavailable resources. 

excuse me @Nils277 I downloaded your mod and was enjoying making rover . . . then I downloaded a new mod and all of the parts disappeared, I could not find them in either the VAB or the SPH, neither did they show in the loading screen. I tried to uninstall the mod that caused it to disappear and the parts still did not come back. I am in KSP 1.2.2 with Feline utility rovers version 0.4.1.

Here is the link to the log file https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rv2eq8rexbsuyb/output_log.txt?dl=0

Hopefully you will be able to tell what happened. Thanks

hello everyone!

so I've actually had this mod for a while now, and never used the little hover engines. I've always used the big ones. I've never  had any problem with moment or anything like that with the big hover engines, but i put 4 of the little hovers on a medium sized rover that i built and i have absolutely no control of it. they engage fine and hover just like they should, but i can't get them to move or allow me to move the craft with WASD keys. i can mount a big hover on the back of my craft and have some control over it, but the little engines still just hold the craft off the ground, they provide no directional movement what so ever. is there something I'm missing to make this work like it should!? I'm playing on a mac pro with OS X el captain 10.11.6. if you want the "log file" someone is going to have to tell me how to find that bc i have no idea what a log file is or how to retrieve one.

thank you!

56 minutes ago, matt01burn101 said:

I'm playing on a mac pro with OS X el captain 10.11.6. if you want the "log file" someone is going to have to tell me how to find that bc i have no idea what a log file is or how to retrieve one.

Hi Matt, and welcome to the forums! :)

There is a thread pinned to the top of this section of the forum that has useful information on how to get support, including log files and how to find them. I've included the relevant bit in the spoiler box below this message. 

Spoiler
  1. The Logs
    These are text files that the game spits out for debugging purposes as it runs; if something broke horribly in-game, there will be something in here about it. You should upload the entire log as a file (i.e. not to pastebin); you can use dropbox or an equivalent host to upload the file. Make sure the entire file gets uploaded; you may have to zip it first, as logs can be very long. Here is where you can find the log:
    • Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit) or %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt
    • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
    • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

NOTE: These logs are not the same as KSP.log, which lacks valuable data. Do not upload KSP.log; do upload output_log.txt / Player.log

I would stress, do not attempt to post the log directly into the forum as text, even in a spoiler box. Please upload it somewhere else (like Dropbox) and then post the link to the file here. 

13 hours ago, Titan 3001 said:

excuse me @Nils277 I downloaded your mod and was enjoying making rover . . . then I downloaded a new mod and all of the parts disappeared, I could not find them in either the VAB or the SPH, neither did they show in the loading screen. I tried to uninstall the mod that caused it to disappear and the parts still did not come back. I am in KSP 1.2.2 with Feline utility rovers version 0.4.1.

Here is the link to the log file https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rv2eq8rexbsuyb/output_log.txt?dl=0

Hopefully you will be able to tell what happened. Thanks

Judging from your log file you should not have been able to see any parts from this mod at all because the folders are in the wrong place. You copied the "000_KerbetrotterTools" and the "FelineUtilityRover" folders directly into your "GameData" folder. These two folder should however be inside the "KerbetrotterLtd" folder, which in turn should be in the "GameData" folder. 

Something like:

KerbalSpace Program
       |- GameData
               |- KerbetrotterLtd
                           |- 000_KerbetrotterTools
                           |- FelineUtilityRover
               |- Squad 

9 hours ago, matt01burn101 said:

hello everyone!

so I've actually had this mod for a while now, and never used the little hover engines. I've always used the big ones. I've never  had any problem with moment or anything like that with the big hover engines, but i put 4 of the little hovers on a medium sized rover that i built and i have absolutely no control of it. they engage fine and hover just like they should, but i can't get them to move or allow me to move the craft with WASD keys. i can mount a big hover on the back of my craft and have some control over it, but the little engines still just hold the craft off the ground, they provide no directional movement what so ever. is there something I'm missing to make this work like it should!? I'm playing on a mac pro with OS X el captain 10.11.6. if you want the "log file" someone is going to have to tell me how to find that bc i have no idea what a log file is or how to retrieve one.

thank you!

What do you exactly mean with "the little hover engines"? This mod only provides the "Lynx "Scorpion" Hover Engine" which can be attached to the sides and the "Lynx "Scarab" Rear Hover Engine" for the rear. They are about the same size. The rear one is slightly larger but i don't think that one can build a sensible rover with only that one.

Can you post a screenshot of the hover engines you mean?

Edited by Nils277

5 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Judging from your log file you should not have been able to see any parts from this mod at all because the folders are in the wrong place. You copied the "000_KerbetrotterTools" and the "FelineUtilityRover" folders directly into your "GameData" folder. These two folder should however be inside the "KerbetrotterLtd" folder, which in turn should be in the "GameData" folder. 

Something like:

KerbalSpace Program
       |- GameData
               |- KerbetrotterLtd
                           |- 000_KerbetrotterTools
                           |- FelineUtilityRover
               |- Squad 

oh, OK thanks for getting back to me so fast.

Edit: that worked perfectly, I feel foolish.

Edited by Titan 3001

3 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Something like:

KerbalSpace Program
       |- GameData
               |- KerbetrotterLtd
                           |- 000_KerbetrotterTools
                           |- FelineUtilityRover
               |- Squad 

What do you exactly mean with "the little hover engines"? This mod only provides the "Lynx "Scorpion" Hover Engine" which can be attached to the sides and the "Lynx "Scarab" Rear Hover Engine" for the rear. They are about the same size. The rear one is slightly larger but i don't think that one can build a sensible rover with only that one.

Can you post a screenshot of the hover engines you mean?

i mean the scorpion engines. sorry was a little out of it last night lol.

Edited by matt01burn101

14 hours ago, matt01burn101 said:

i mean the scorpion engines. sorry was a little out of it last night lol.

Hmm, can you post a screenshot and upload a log file?
The log file i need ist the one called "KSP.log" which is in the same folder as the KSP executable. You need to run the game and switch to a vessel with the scorpion engines.

Are the scorpion engines hovering (holder the distance to the ground) or aren't they working at all?

Hey @Nils277, would it be possible to copy your hover engine module over to other engines? 

I thought I could maybe add hovering capability to some other mod engines, or even to surface mounted vanilla engines, or all engines, or the FUR side thrusters. I thought some mm magic to add the ModuleKerbetrotterEngineControl module to target engines would do the trick. But when I tried to compare the module ModuleKerbetrotterEngine to the module ModuleEnginesFX in existing engines, it looked soo different and complicated that I was scared right away :(

Is it really impossible? Or could you help me out a little?

PS: Actually I am looking to add hover functionality to VTOL engines from some other mods (Mk2 Expansion).

8 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Hmm, can you post a screenshot and upload a log file?
The log file i need ist the one called "KSP.log" which is in the same folder as the KSP executable. You need to run the game and switch to a vessel with the scorpion engines.

Are the scorpion engines hovering (holder the distance to the ground) or aren't they working at all?

i  can control the engines as far as toggling the hover modes on and off, setting thrust limiter and height limiter. they hover just fine, i just can't control them. here is the log file and 2 screen shots, one with and one without the rear mounted engine. when i have the rear mounted engine it gives me very little control over the craft. also, with the rear mounted engine it slowly begins to spin out of control clockwise. but as i said before, with just the scorpion engines i have no control at all. the craft just slowly drifts around.

log file:https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ewph5xjs9jnyvq/KSP.log?dl=0

screenshot with rear mounted engine:https://www.dropbox.com/s/56tiwh6bc5wdb7s/Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.05.54 AM.png?dl=0

screenshot w/o rear mounted engine:https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm6nxvwab8ukyzv/Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.03.11 AM.png?dl=0

2 hours ago, canisin said:

Hey @Nils277, would it be possible to copy your hover engine module over to other engines? 

I thought I could maybe add hovering capability to some other mod engines, or even to surface mounted vanilla engines, or all engines, or the FUR side thrusters. I thought some mm magic to add the ModuleKerbetrotterEngineControl module to target engines would do the trick. But when I tried to compare the module ModuleKerbetrotterEngine to the module ModuleEnginesFX in existing engines, it looked soo different and complicated that I was scared right away :(

Is it really impossible? Or could you help me out a little?

PS: Actually I am looking to add hover functionality to VTOL engines from some other mods (Mk2 Expansion).

It is possible but not easy. The hover engines do have some restrictions that the default ones do not have and are a bit different as you have seen. Especially regarding different modes. I'm planning to change the hover system to use the stock engine modules and only one additional module to control the engines. So my suggestion for now would be to wait for the next or the next but one update when the changes are done. This will make things way easier. 

2 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

It is possible but not easy. The hover engines do have some restrictions that the default ones do not have and are a bit different as you have seen. Especially regarding different modes. I'm planning to change the hover system to use the stock engine modules and only one additional module to control the engines. So my suggestion for now would be to wait for the next or the next but one update when the changes are done. This will make things way easier. 

Well, thanks a lot in advance then! :) Is there any way I might help?

5 hours ago, matt01burn101 said:

i  can control the engines as far as toggling the hover modes on and off, setting thrust limiter and height limiter. they hover just fine, i just can't control them. here is the log file and 2 screen shots, one with and one without the rear mounted engine. when i have the rear mounted engine it gives me very little control over the craft. also, with the rear mounted engine it slowly begins to spin out of control clockwise. but as i said before, with just the scorpion engines i have no control at all. the craft just slowly drifts around.

log file:https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ewph5xjs9jnyvq/KSP.log?dl=0

screenshot with rear mounted engine:https://www.dropbox.com/s/56tiwh6bc5wdb7s/Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.05.54 AM.png?dl=0

screenshot w/o rear mounted engine:https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm6nxvwab8ukyzv/Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.03.11 AM.png?dl=0

Ah, i see your problem, the side mounted engines are not attached correctly. They are attached underneath the rover, but should be attached at the sides like this:

T693uuh.png

you may have seen a message saying: "Warning! Hover mode is only active when the engines are unfolded!" This means that the "Scorpion" hover engines are stowed by default and can be unfolded. They are only controllable when the engines are unfolded.

You can unfold them either via the right click menu or with a previously set action group. 

4 hours ago, canisin said:

Well, thanks a lot in advance then! :) Is there any way I might help?

Hmm...nothing i can think of now :wink: 

Edited by Nils277

54 minutes ago, Nils277 said:

Ah, i see your problem, the side mounted engines are not attached correctly. They are attached underneath the rover, but should be attached at the sides like this:

T693uuh.png

you may have seen a message saying: "Warning! Hover mode is only active when the engines are unfolded!" This means that the "Scorpion" hover engines are stowed by default and can be unfolded. They are only controllable when the engines are unfolded.

You can unfold them either via the right click menu or with a previously set action group. 

Hmm...nothing i can think of now :wink: 

ah ok thank you very much!

@Electrocutor Thanks for the offer, i think the configs won't be a big problem :wink: 
I'm currently working on the breaking up and renaming the meshes as well as adding specular infomation to all parts. It's done for ~50% of the models now but there is still much to do.

For recoloring i will go the way to first support only recoloring by material.
The SSTU/PBR/Masked shader will need many additional textures and is still have to chose which parts should be recolorable this way. It also confuses me a bit that this shader needs a  "Specular Metallic Map" that has grayscale specular values in RGB. Wouldn't grayscale only need one channel (like the alpha channel in the SSTU/PBR/StockMetallicBumped)? The wiki also says that this map should only have "MINOR highlights and shadows" this does not make sense to me for a specular map that does not have that at all normally. 

Edited by Nils277

Update to 1.0.7 ~Flying high~

Changelog:

Enhancements:

• The hover engine now has two modes - "Hold Terrain Distance" and "Hold Altitude"
  • Hover engines now use stock modules (allows compatibility with mods like TCA and MechJeb)
  • Added additional attach node to extendible docking part to allow attachment of decoupler

Bug Fixes:

• Added missing USI-LS support to Truck Cockpit
  • Fixed compatibility issues with the Simple Construction mod
  • Fixed mirrored text on Small Fueltank

Download:

oYvtZpW.png UVVt0OP.png lMOxt2k.png

The updated textures and support for TU will be added in the next update

Edited by Nils277

Heya @Nils277, thanks for the update!

Can you share any pointers on how to use the hover controllers on other (stock or modded) engines?

Hold it! I looked through the files and I think all I need to do is add module ModuleKerbetrotterEngine to any engine that I want to add hover capability to.

Looking over the fields for this module:

thrustVectorTransformName = ThrustTransform
It seems that ThrustTransform is a typical transform defined for all engines. But I have seen it written both with a small 't' and a capital 'T', so I wonder if this is case sensitive. Edit: Researching documentation shows that this is indeed case sensitive.

heightTransformName = RotorCase
This one might be particularly problematic. I don't think I understand this one too well. I have a feeling that transforms in general are defined by the part model in the .mu files and I don't expect to find RotorCase transforms for any engines out there. The naming of the field indicates that this transform probably determines the point (and direction?) from which the engine height is calculated. Worst case scenario I guess I can set this one to the thrustTransform as well, which I guess would mean that the hover controller would calculate engine height from the nozzle. But I might be very wrong, because I have no idea about the significance of the direction and amplitude of the transform, which I assume to be a vector of some sort.
Edit: Digging through your source, ModuleKerbetrotterEngine seems to be only ever interested in the position of the height transform. So I am beginning to think that the thrust transform "should" be more or less usable. :)

maxHoverHeight = 4
minHoverHeight = 0.1
These two, as previously discussed, should be obvious from the name. 

PID-PROFILE's
I will not begin to worry about those until I get anything working. Hopefully they should be good enough for comparable engine powers.

Finally, one more question: How about fuel consumption? I'd think that the hover controller is using the actual engine throttle and as such it respects fuel consumption, so I guess, I should not need to worry about that, right?

Edited by canisin

3 hours ago, Nils277 said:

@Electrocutor Thanks for the offer, i think the configs won't be a big problem :wink: 
I'm currently working on the breaking up and renaming the meshes as well as adding specular infomation to all parts. It's done for ~50% of the models now but there is still much to do.

For recoloring i will go the way to first support only recoloring by material.
The SSTU/PBR/Masked shader will need many additional textures and is still have to chose which parts should be recolorable this way. It also confuses me a bit that this shader needs a  "Specular Metallic Map" that has grayscale specular values in RGB. Wouldn't grayscale only need one channel (like the alpha channel in the SSTU/PBR/StockMetallicBumped)? The wiki also says that this map should only have "MINOR highlights and shadows" this does not make sense to me for a specular map that does not have that at all normally. 

Okay. Recoloring by material allows you to utilize multiple instances of the KSPTextureSwitch as well as have multiple TEXTURESET options that change the _Color color and _BumpMap texture even for the same diffuse (you can also switch up the diffuse if you wish). Then you give each a specific section name and pattern name; like Body: White Plastic, or Body: Metal Plates. There's quite a lot of generic material tiling normal maps you can find around that have public use licenses if you're so inclined. This could allow things like the accordion part to be optionally covered in gold foil or something.

The Masked shader (in my opinion) does not follow any PBR conventions, so if you want to make proper use of it, make sure that you understand exactly what each map needs. I know that the description about being grayscale is actually about the diffuse: any region that will be within the mask should have a neutral 127,127,127 color or slight variation thereof. That said, since you are already going through the hassle of breaking things into proper material meshes, I see no reason to use the Masked shader, as that would allow less options than what you are currently doing.

I always look forward to customization options: In my own play-through, I've added some texture options for wrecked parts so for example, if the part reaches 95% of max g-force tolerance, the glass normal map switches to a cracked glass one and 95% thermal causes the body paint to scorch.

Edited by Electrocutor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.