[1.12.X] Feline Utility Rovers v1.3.4 (28. April 2022)

Nils277

On 2017-7-17 at 3:34 PM, vosskftw said:

Good to see this is finally out!

@vosskftwI see you have translated some of the KPBS text, I am a Chinese player, and I hope to continue this translation or merge our work,i can only reply in this way ,because my account was registerd  yesterday:)

On 21.7.2017 at 7:51 AM, sirrliv said:

Excellent looking update, sir. I look forward to trying it out next time I reinstall KSP.

Quick question/slight request, and believe me I hesitate to bring this up given your recent hard work and well deserved rest, but it's been on my mind since I saw the first screenshots of how buoyant these parts are and tested it for myself:

What are the possibilities of possibly seeing a part for waterborn propulsion? Like, maybe a rear part with a built-in impeller, like a jet ski engine?

I've tried equipping rovers (built using both your parts and the WildBlue Buffalo/Bison systems) with small Juno minijet engines, and while those work even when placed below the waterline they just don't have the power to push a substantial sized rover at more than about 20 m/s and they are horribly inefficient on fuel, made even worse on electric vehicles that typically don't carry fuel at all. Also, I often run into problems with the engines striking the ground when traveling over rough terrain and when entering the water.

Just a thought, mind. I'm not by any means trying to demand anything. This mod is brilliant and I thank you for whatever direction you take it in.

It seems the users of FUR developed a sixth sense to ask for things that are planned or being currently (secretly) worked on. I did indeed plan to add some electrical engines to let the Lynx rover be used as a small boat or ferry. 

PS: This is at least the third time that a thing that was planned but not made public was asked for :wink:  

Edited by Nils277

3 hours ago, Nils277 said:

It seems the users of FUR developed a sixth sense to ask for things that are planned or being currently (secretly) worked on. I did indeed plan to add some electrical engines to let the Lynx rover be used as a small boat or ferry. 

PS: This is at least the third time that a thing that was planned but not made public was asked for :wink:  

I think you just know what parts the players want, even before the players do. :)

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

No, then he'd be removing any doors, "because they destroy the symmetry of the design"

You know, (not to stray TOO far off topic...) but if Steve Jobs controlled all aspects of iPhone design and anything that he didn't personally like and would have taken steps to ensure maximal 'Steve-Compatibility'... what the hell did the insides of his ears look like? I mean, those Earbuds.... they don't fit in the ears of any known living humans. But they MUST have fit Steve's ears or they wouldn't have shipped. In fact, the entire damned iPhone project would have been held back if those damned earbuds didn't fit Steve's ears.

Just.... just think about that. Let it sink in. If you own a pair, take a good look at those earbuds that will NEVER fit your ears and think to yourself... there was one SINGLE human on this planet that these earbuds once fit.

Nils

Having issues with the engines not showing up. This is on my Almost stock install.  Dropbox link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0yk6c3lmcxyyv8/KSP.log?dl=0

Mods in use

KSP: 1.3 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
USI Tools - 0.9.2
Chatterer - 0.9.93.1804
Community Category Kit - 2.0.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.7.1
Community Trait Icons - 0.1.2
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.10
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.3
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.8
Flexible Docking - 1.0.5
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.3
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.3
Feline Utility Rover - 0.6.1
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.5
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
MagiCore - 1.3
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.7
Final Frontier - 1.3.2.3155
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.4.5
Portrait Stats - 1.0.15
AmpYear - 1.4.9
SCANsat - 1.1.8
ShipManifest - 5.2
TarsierSpaceTechnology - 6.9
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.5
TweakScale - 2.3.6
USI-LS - 0.6.1
EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats - 0.1.14
VesselMover - 1.5.1.4

V/R

Rafael

Update- if I use the organize parts by manufacturer they appear, but not if I search for kerbertrotter

Edited by Rafael acevedo

20 hours ago, Rafael acevedo said:

Nils

Having issues with the engines not showing up. This is on my Almost stock install.  Dropbox link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0yk6c3lmcxyyv8/KSP.log?dl=0

Mods in use

KSP: 1.3 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
USI Tools - 0.9.2
Chatterer - 0.9.93.1804
Community Category Kit - 2.0.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.7.1
Community Trait Icons - 0.1.2
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.10
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.3
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.8
Flexible Docking - 1.0.5
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.3
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.3
Feline Utility Rover - 0.6.1
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.5
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
MagiCore - 1.3
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.7
Final Frontier - 1.3.2.3155
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.4.5
Portrait Stats - 1.0.15
AmpYear - 1.4.9
SCANsat - 1.1.8
ShipManifest - 5.2
TarsierSpaceTechnology - 6.9
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.5
TweakScale - 2.3.6
USI-LS - 0.6.1
EVAParachutesAndEjectionSeats - 0.1.14
VesselMover - 1.5.1.4

V/R

Rafael

Update- if I use the organize parts by manufacturer they appear, but not if I search for kerbertrotter

Will take a look at this error. Might be a typo or so. 

11 hours ago, HybridJoe said:

So, my game is in english, but the mod is in chinese, it's the only mod i have with the translation wrong, i dont know what to do.

Please help me :(

There might have gone something wrong while installing. Can you take a look if the file KerbetrotterLtd/FelineUtilityRover/Localization/FUR_en-us.cfg exists? You can also try to delete the FUR_zh-cn.cfg file in the same directory and see if this solves the issue.

What is the language of the KSPedia entries of FUR?

9 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@Rafael acevedo interesting but I wouldn't use it for anything like moving nuclear waste or fighting off alien attackers ...

For alien attackers you need, the UFO interceptor or better yet mike trims original UFO interceptor ( google it more realistic, i also made a nice lego version of it )

On 10.8.2017 at 4:40 PM, joelang6126 said:

This is honestly one of the GREATEST mods every created! I've been looking for a trailer hitch mod for years!

How about adding a small Nuclear Reactor Module too??

Hmm, a reactor might be a bit OP. Will think about it ;) 

20 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

O.K.

Dumb Question...

Can't seem to get the Hitch to reattach once unlocked and disconnected.  

Checked on KSPedia but did not see any reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated for this awesome mod!

They should work like normal docking ports.
Can you post a screenshop of the two hitches you want to reconnect?

4 hours ago, DStaal said:

RTG?  Though I'm not sure exactly how much less OP that might be...

Why not just snap the existing RTG in place?  Do you need a FUR themed one? What would that look like and why? An RTG is an RTG... Its most likely configuration is going to be cylindrical with radiator fins... a Stirling version might appear different or might not.

10 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Why not just snap the existing RTG in place?  Do you need a FUR themed one? What would that look like and why? An RTG is an RTG... Its most likely configuration is going to be cylindrical with radiator fins... a Stirling version might appear different or might not.

That cylinder with fins would be the raw shape - you could always put one in a casing designed to fit into the rest of the rover.  I can think of a couple ideas on how they'd look: As a wedge with radiator fins, or as a short-length segment where the cylinders (likely two) are encased in a protective cage of some sort - which keeps the profile, but lets heat through.

As for why: This was being proposed as a thought instead of a nuclear reactor.  A rover this size probably doesn't need the full power of a nuke - and the cooling would hard to set up - but a large RTG would be enough to keep it running without fuel for long periods (real world, or if you have a depletable RTG patch) on the night side of planets/moons, or on bodies in the outer solar system where solar doesn't provide enough power.  Where a reactor would probably provide more power than the rover would need, a decently sized RTG is more likely going to be close to 'run normal operations and trickle charge the batteries for power bursts'.

Anyone else having issues with the trailer hitch reattaching in 1.3

I can eventually get it to reattach but have to ram into it via backing about 20 or more times before it will stick and reattach...

Is there a trick to this?  Do you have to wait a bit before the hitch will reset after undocking and or do you have to drive far enough away to get it to reset?

Awesome Mod BTW!

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Is there a trick to this?  Do you have to wait a bit before the hitch will reset after undocking and or do you have to drive far enough away to get it to reset?

I haven't done much with the trailer hitches yet in 1.3, but (like any docking port) you do have to move some distance away after undocking for them to reset.  (Otherwise you'd never be able to undock and leave, as you'd just get pulled back together again.)

Of course they do have the issue with trying to use docking ports on the surface of a planet - it works, but unless you are on absolutely level ground it can be hard to match angle, height, etc. for a successful dock.

I'm having some trouble getting the bellow joint and hitch to work. During testing on the runway, and possibly everywhere else, I can't see an 'unlock' button in the right click menu. The spring and dampers sliders are there and seem to work when tested (ramming it backwards into the SPH) but the joints remain rigid and there's no way to unlock them as described in the instructions. If I right click in the hangar, unlock is there, but obviously doesn't do anything as it's in the hangar (nor does this have any effect on the launched craft.) At the top of the right click menu it says "inoperable" on both the bellow and the hitch. Extendy docking ports still function (though they were rigid too, not sure if that's intended though.)

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there perhaps a conflicting mod?

Supercool mod by the way, can't wait to get it off Kerbin. I can't stop adding stuff to my science vehicle though, it looks more like a plank than anything navigable, and might be tricky to get anywhere useful. If I can get these pesky hitches to work, the Space Train is off to the Mun! Choo choo, moisture farmers!

5 hours ago, Daniel Kerman said:

It didn't work. I installed it just like some other mods, but KSP didn't change at all. do I have to install something else to get it working?

Welcome to the forums! There's probably an install issue. If you could post a picture of your GameData folder, we may have a bit more of a clear idea. File tree should be GameData - KerbetrotterLtd - FelineUtilityRover and it needs the Kerbetrotter Tools to also be in the KerbetrotterLtd folder.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.