Foldable Relay-Antennas?

Some relay satellites use non-foldable antennas. Foldable ones are used when volume is a problem, and in some cases, it is not.

And we already got foldable antennas, i forgot their names, but they are there!

I think this was done for gameplay reasons rather than realism. If the relay antennas were just as capable as direct antennas, same mass, same space, why use the direct ones ever? So the tradeoff is relay antennas have relay capabilities but are heavier and bulkier. Seems reasonable to me.

Technically, the early-game relay antenna, a.k.a the HG high gain, is foldable as it can partially retract.

However, I actually would be pro-non foldable direct antennas, or at least antennas that don't necessarily fold when they finish a communication, disconnecting the vessel in the process...

On 25/01/2017 at 3:58 PM, MinimalMinmus said:

Technically, the early-game relay antenna, a.k.a the HG high gain, is foldable as it can partially retract.

However, I actually would be pro-non foldable direct antennas, or at least antennas that don't necessarily fold when they finish a communication, disconnecting the vessel in the process...

Don't they stay open if you opened them manually beforehand?

Edited by Guest

On 1/28/2017 at 6:50 PM, String Witch said:

Don't they stay open if you opened them manually beforehand?

Yes. I'd be curious to hear about @MinimalMinmus's use case that's causing difficulty.  In my experience, this is never an issue, because any given craft always falls into one of two categories:

• It's uncrewed and needs active antennas for control, in which case you've already extended the antennas manually and never lose control, even when you transmit science, because the antennas stay open; or,
  • It's crewed and you don't bother to keep the antennas extended because you don't need them for control.  So when you transmit science, they extend/retract automatically and you can still control afterwards.

...so there's never any scenario I can think of in which the automatic retracting after transmitting science can ever cause a problem.

2 hours ago, Snark said:

Yes. I'd be curious to hear about @MinimalMinmus's use case that's causing difficulty.  In my experience, this is never an issue, because any given craft always falls into one of two categories:

• It's uncrewed and needs active antennas for control, in which case you've already extended the antennas manually and never lose control, even when you transmit science, because the antennas stay open; or,
  • It's crewed and you don't bother to keep the antennas extended because you don't need them for control.  So when you transmit science, they extend/retract automatically and you can still control afterwards.

...so there's never any scenario I can think of in which the automatic retracting after transmitting science can ever cause a problem.

The problem is: you underestimated my stupidity, I didn't know you could lock the antenna on... so it already happened for me to lose a lander because I transmit science, and it folds...

54 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

I didn't know you could lock the antenna on... so it already happened for me to lose a lander because I transmit science, and it folds...

Yes, that's what's confusing me. How is the situation you describe even possible?

Because if the antenna retracted after transmitting science, that means it was ALREADY retracted before transmitting, yes?  So if the after-transmission retraction caused you to lose control... how did you even have control in the first place, before transmitting?

1 minute ago, Snark said:

The

Yes, that's what's confusing me. How is the situation you describe even possible?

Because if the antenna retracted after transmitting science, that means it was ALREADY retracted before transmitting, yes?  So if the after-transmission retraction caused you to lose control... how did you even have control in the first place, before transmitting?

Actually, there was still some control, as the alpha relay could reach it but not the small ones, and the alpha relay went under the horizon while the data was transmitting.

So, signal was lost when the transmission stopped.

Fortunately it came back after the next pass, but it was quite annoying because I wan't over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.