Sign in to follow this  
Sereneti

Foldable Relay-Antennas?

Recommended Posts

Some relay satellites use non-foldable antennas. Foldable ones are used when volume is a problem, and in some cases, it is not.

And we already got foldable antennas, i forgot their names, but they are there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the regular antennas are foldable, but the dedicated relay antennas are not foldable. I think he wants the relay antennas to fold as well, which would be convenient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2017 at 10:38 AM, Sereneti said:

:/ Wich sattelite in RL does use "non-foldable" antennas :/
 

Most of them. There are very few satellites with foldable antennae. TDRS is one that uses foldable antennae.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this was done for gameplay reasons rather than realism. If the relay antennas were just as capable as direct antennas, same mass, same space, why use the direct ones ever? So the tradeoff is relay antennas have relay capabilities but are heavier and bulkier. Seems reasonable to me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically, the early-game relay antenna, a.k.a the HG high gain, is foldable as it can partially retract.

However, I actually would be pro-non foldable direct antennas, or at least antennas that don't necessarily fold when they finish a communication, disconnecting the vessel in the process...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2017 at 3:58 PM, MinimalMinmus said:

Technically, the early-game relay antenna, a.k.a the HG high gain, is foldable as it can partially retract.

However, I actually would be pro-non foldable direct antennas, or at least antennas that don't necessarily fold when they finish a communication, disconnecting the vessel in the process...

Don't they stay open if you opened them manually beforehand?

Edited by String Witch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2017 at 6:50 PM, String Witch said:

Don't they stay open if you opened them manually beforehand?

Yes. I'd be curious to hear about @MinimalMinmus's use case that's causing difficulty.  In my experience, this is never an issue, because any given craft always falls into one of two categories:

  • It's uncrewed and needs active antennas for control, in which case you've already extended the antennas manually and never lose control, even when you transmit science, because the antennas stay open; or,
  • It's crewed and you don't bother to keep the antennas extended because you don't need them for control.  So when you transmit science, they extend/retract automatically and you can still control afterwards.

...so there's never any scenario I can think of in which the automatic retracting after transmitting science can ever cause a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snark said:

Yes. I'd be curious to hear about @MinimalMinmus's use case that's causing difficulty.  In my experience, this is never an issue, because any given craft always falls into one of two categories:

  • It's uncrewed and needs active antennas for control, in which case you've already extended the antennas manually and never lose control, even when you transmit science, because the antennas stay open; or,
  • It's crewed and you don't bother to keep the antennas extended because you don't need them for control.  So when you transmit science, they extend/retract automatically and you can still control afterwards.

...so there's never any scenario I can think of in which the automatic retracting after transmitting science can ever cause a problem.

The problem is: you underestimated my stupidity, I didn't know you could lock the antenna on... so it already happened for me to lose a lander because I transmit science, and it folds...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

I didn't know you could lock the antenna on... so it already happened for me to lose a lander because I transmit science, and it folds...

Yes, that's what's confusing me. How is the situation you describe even possible?

Because if the antenna retracted after transmitting science, that means it was ALREADY retracted before transmitting, yes?  So if the after-transmission retraction caused you to lose control... how did you even have control in the first place, before transmitting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snark said:

The

Yes, that's what's confusing me. How is the situation you describe even possible?

Because if the antenna retracted after transmitting science, that means it was ALREADY retracted before transmitting, yes?  So if the after-transmission retraction caused you to lose control... how did you even have control in the first place, before transmitting?

Actually, there was still some control, as the alpha relay could reach it but not the small ones, and the alpha relay went under the horizon while the data was transmitting.

So, signal was lost when the transmission stopped.

Fortunately it came back after the next pass, but it was quite annoying because I wan't over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, OK. That must have been aggravating!

Well, now you know. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this