I made some planets!

Gameslinx

Note: this is not yet downloadable, nor will it be until it or many others are complete.

Yesterday morning I decided "Hey. Let's make planets!"

After 7 long hard hours of analysing and doing my best to interpret the Kopernicus format, my first ever planet is nearly complete.

The planet is called Olei (placeholder name, pronounced: "Oh Lie" or "Oh Lay")

I've spent most of today ironing out the issues for it, and making the next two planets for a *possible* modpack!

cgTvdn7h.jpg

The next planet is called Dusk, because well... It looks like (dust?) Dusk! It's aimed at a smaller, non-atmospheric version of Duna with a more brown texture. Those spots are NOT volcanoes, just brighter splashes of colour.

Reference orbit body: Eve at roughly 12,000,000m

KY6cX5C.png

Here's Niebos, an earth-like planet. The black on the surface will be replaced with water once I learn how to do that. It has an atmosphere depth of 60,000 and some very rough terrain, as I'm still getting used to SpaceEngine. There are flat beaches to land on, similarly to Laythe, with some great base-making spots.

uHJf5bs.png

Please, if you have a moment, I'd really appreciate some feedback on these planets.

If you want me to turn this into an official mod, please drop a reply below!

Have a GREAT day!

Edited by Gamel0rd1

can we get a picture of where its orbit is?

how did you make these? I REALLY want to make a planet pack, mostly because I want to make a mod, but I cant code :(

besides, don't kick yourself if you think that this is not what you wanted, it looks REALLY good

Edited by StupidAndy

5 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

how did you make these? I REALLY want to make a planet pack, mostly because I want to make a mod, but I cant code :(

besides, don't kick yourself if you think that this is not what you wanted, it looks REALLY good

The orbit is slightly inclinated enough to not collide with any planets, and it's just below the Jool orbit.

I used The White Guardian's youtube tutorial mostly, but you can also (as a test) use some code from other planet packs as a template. I'm saying as a template because if you do a direct copy-paste it's technically not your code.

You need SpaceEngine (it's free) and Paint.Net (also free) and Notepad++ (also free). 

Here's a quick rundown of what you do when you have your code template:

Make a folder called your mod. Place three folders inside - Cache, PluginData and Configs.

Inside plugin data is where your heightmap, color map and normal map go.

Now, open up SpaceEngine. I'm not so good at it either, but for now, since it's your first planet, just find any old one with NO atmosphere.

Select the planet by clicking on it, press escape to open the menu and click Editor > Export Planet.

Uncheck everything except for:

Surface, Colormap, elevation map, normal map. Set your resolution to 4096 or 8192 (4k or 8k). Depending on how good your PC is, it may take a moment. Don't worry if it stops responding.

Now go to your space engine folder (where you installed it) and find Export. Place all those files into your PluginData folder (in your mod). The colormap is the colourful image, the height map is the black and white image, the normal map is purple-ish.

Rename your files to:

(Your planet)_color, (your planet)_height, (your planet)_normal. 

Now in the tutorial by the white guardian, he does a good job of explaining how the different parts of the code works. I recommend searching that on YouTube

Good luck!

4 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

I like the looks of it. I'll look forward to seeing more from you in future.

Many thanks!

Edited by Gamel0rd1

17 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

I've edited more pictures in. I hope that's better now!

Here shall lie my Changelog and future plans.

Update 1 (current):

- Niebos is undergoing a terrain overhaul. Unfortunately I'm going to need help with this.

- 8k textures for all planets have been updated

- Biome maps for all planets have been created, though they are rough and ugly.

- Biome map for Niebos has been removed due to its terrain and colouring issues on the surface.

Future plans:

Gas giant with 4 bodies. One will be small but with an incredibly high atmosphere - like a gas giant with a solid core.

Body 2 will be an ice planet

Body 3 will be a small asteroid like Gilly but with water.

Body 4 will be a lush, Duna sized planet with oxygen.

Suggest more below, I'm open for all kinds of stuff!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.