[1.6.X] Surface Experiment Pack - Deployable science for KIS/KAS! (v2.7 - 13/Jan/19)

CobaltWolf

Just now, evileye.x said:

I have a problem with SEP mod... I cannot connect power connectors. Last time I used SEP in 1.0.5, there were nodes on central station to plug connectors in. Now I don't see any nodes to plug in?

Something is changed in the way it should connect or am I missing something. (Tried by engineer with wrench / SEP screwdriver)

Still works that way.  There's 4 along the back of the central station.  Could it be an install issue?

4 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

Still works that way.  There's 4 along the back of the central station.  Could it be an install issue?

Oh, thanks for reply. Obviously last night I had blonde moment (or I need to sleep more?...)

This morning works as intended.

@evileye.x Sometimes weird things can happen with the KIS connection nodes. Like if you connect something and then disconnect it the node might not appear until you pick up the part and deploy it again, which is obviously a problem if you have experiments already running. As far as I know this is a KIS problem. The only thing you can do about it is to make sure you always leave a few connection nodes open, and always pack a few connection extension parts.

13 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@evileye.x Sometimes weird things can happen with the KIS connection nodes. Like if you connect something and then disconnect it the node might not appear until you pick up the part and deploy it again, which is obviously a problem if you have experiments already running. As far as I know this is a KIS problem. The only thing you can do about it is to make sure you always leave a few connection nodes open, and always pack a few connection extension parts.

It's that the old stock 'disappearing connection nodes' problem?  I'll admit I haven't run into that in 1.3 yet.

Hello! I have a quick question about this wonderful mod.

I have setup a SEP on the Mun, with about 5 or 6 different experiments, brought the kerbals back and then waited for the experiments to complete. When they did, I switched to the central station via the tracking center and clicked transmit. It immediately transmitted all results without showing me any science result messages. Even though I often just click them off, I still like to read science results from time to time. What should I have done to be able to see the science results before transmission?

@Starman4308

i suggest installing auto screenshot and saves by linuxgurugamer

i have it set up to save every 30 minutes and to keep 48 last saves
by combining the auto screenshot and saves i can let the game run and if disaster strike just look for the last good save to load

wen moving my save dir from 1.2 to 1.3 i see its ~ 10Gb of saves :)

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what body you set them up on, like all science. If memory serves it's about what the experiments on your standard stock mun lander would net you, so maybe doubling the science gain from each "landed" biome.. minus surface samples.

Personally I find they fit in well with the community tech tree, NEOS (an orbital experiment pack similar to this), and Kerbalism (which eliminates science lab science generation). That, and it feels more like "gameplay" than simply go here, press button to get science, go home.

In more stock-ish games I tend to stop using most stock science entirely (to keep some challenge) and just rely on this and some of the other science mods that have better gameplay value.

1 minute ago, KerbMav said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1yvrscdii35fh9r/AAD5lDywyvk-ufRdCKRIMDIna?dl=0

Either I am not seeing how or something ... but I cannot find a way to connect the power lines for the central station to any experiment.

Install one of the plugs on the other end (both ends need one), and then drag a connection between them via the right click menu.

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Install one of the plugs on the other end (both ends need one), and then drag a connection between them via the right click menu.

My right click menu only shows aim and reset camera

When I hold a plug close to the sockets the node bubbles show up - I tried attaching without H but it just makes a sound effect end drops to the ground - I attached the plugs holding H once with the electric screwdriver and once with the normal one - no effect, I do not get any action to build a line.

3 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

My right click menu only shows aim and reset camera

When I hold a plug close to the sockets the node bubbles show up - I tried attaching without H but it just makes a sound effect end drops to the ground - I attached the plugs holding H once with the electric screwdriver and once with the normal one - no effect, I do not get any action to build a line.

Ok... well... 'attaching without H', you mean, dropping it? Doesn't matter what tool you use as long as you attach it to the node (the wrench can't do it)... Not sure what else to tell you apart from make sure you're attaching them correctly.

EDIT: @KerbMav you don't appear to have KAS installed.

Edited by CobaltWolf

The new KAS and the old KAS are two different things, not just an upgraded version. I really wish the name were changed, since the current solution just breeds confusion.

The old KAS is a required, non-optional dependency for SEP.

Also, CobaltWolf, the KIS and KAS links in the first post (under the dependencies section) link to the old threads.

Edited by DMagic

9 hours ago, DMagic said:

The new KAS and the old KAS are two different things, not just an upgraded version. I really wish the name were changed, since the current solution just breeds confusion.

Also, CobaltWolf, the KIS and KAS links in the first post (under the dependencies section) link to the old threads.

From KAS 1.0 thread/OP 'KAS 1.0 is totally independent from the old KAS and doesn't conflict with it. You may use both.'

So, will install the "old" KAS for 1.3 as well and see what happens on my stop at Minmus.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

How do you mean? That's exactly what is already does, isn't it?

Oh lel. :confused: Thats perfect. Means i could put them on the ground to power my mun base. Without having my kerbals unrealistically bolt massive solar panels to the side.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:29 PM, DMagic said:

Uh... where are the new threads? And when can we just update to the new KAS? can we even?

28 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

oook, thats embarassing :P

(I can't believe it. I was on the 0.6.3 site *sigh*)

I completly agree with DMagic, same name for two mods is VERY confusing ^^

I can only say, thank you :)

damit ...

ok, fresh KSP, only KAS, KIS, SEP (ok, and CCK, but that one comes with KIS) and MM -

still the same, I can't plug in the plug. it stay red and I get the message that connection is not allowed

Edited by momochi

2 hours ago, momochi said:

I can't plug in the plug. it stay red and I get the message that connection is not allowed

Which KAS are you using now then? :)
The "old" one (0.6.3) worked for me - installed in parallel with 1.0 as I had already built stuff with its parts.

I used an Engineer to set everything up and let a Scientist start the actual experiments afterwards.
Not sure if the Engineer had to equip the drill tool to do so - guess I did so out of habit.

Sidenote: You need a plug on each end, and then right-click one of them to build a line to the other.

Edited by KerbMav

12 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Which KAS are you using now then? :)
The "old" one (0.6.3) worked for me - installed in parallel with 1.0 as I had already built stuff with its parts.

I used an Engineer to set everything up and let a Scientist start the actual experiments afterwards.
Not sure if the Engineer had to equip the drill tool to do so - guess I did so out of habit.

Sidenote: You need a plug on each end, and then right-click one of them to build a line to the other.

yeah -.- one stupid mistake after the other :(

somehow I forgot to equip the drill tool, only had it in the inventory....

as it is - everthing works as it should :)

again, I say thank you for your help

On 6/7/2017 at 8:21 AM, Apollo13 said:

My Engineer placed the experiments just off the Launchpad.  However, my Scientist could not calibrate nor start the experiments.  I've used SEP on Mun and Minmus in KSP 1.2.2.  Does SEP not work on Kerbin?  My Scientist and Engineer are Level 1; might that be the problem?  Thanks.

This is exactly the same problem I'm having. My engineer set up and connected the experiments on the mun but my scientist can't interact with any of parts. I also noticed that the SEP icon that displays all the stations on the toolbar is not appearing in the Space Center screen or anywhere else. My KSP and mods are all up to date.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.