[1.6.X] Surface Experiment Pack - Deployable science for KIS/KAS! (v2.7 - 13/Jan/19)

CobaltWolf

First of all, I love this mod!  It's awesome to have something incredibly useful to do on the surface of other planets / moons!

I've been working on a SEP base on The Mun.  First issue I ran into, was after setting up the first couple of tests, going home, researching more, and sending a second mission to add more, I couldn't add plugs to the units already there.  Noticed I had to move the old units first, so no biggie.  Unlinked, moved the last section, re-linked, and good to go.

However, the Interior Heat Probe explodes when I try to attach a Transfer Conduit to it.

screenshot157.png

I've attached the bit of the log between the screenshots.

Spoiler

[LOG 20:22:10.900] SCREENSHOT!!
[LOG 20:22:11.910] Create part & attach
[LOG 20:22:11.913] Attach new part SEP.plug to SEP.IHP (Vessel): srcNodeId=bottom, tgtNode=right
[LOG 20:22:11.913] Wait for part SEP.plug to get alive...
[LOG 20:22:11.913] StopPointer()
[LOG 20:22:11.913] Set pointer mode to: Attach
[LOG 20:22:11.913] Set pointer mode to: Nothing
[LOG 20:22:11.914] KIS UI lock released
[LOG 20:22:11.914] Pointer destroyed
[LOG 20:22:11.914] Loading sound audio clip: KIS/Sounds/attachScrewdriver
[LOG 20:22:12.432] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.53]: Vessel situation change
[WRN 20:22:12.438] [F: 42586]: Vessel SEP-T03 Interior Heat Probe crashed through terrain on Mun.
[LOG 20:22:12.439] SEP.IHP Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 20:22:12.441] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.54]: Vessel situation change
[LOG 20:22:12.441] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.54]: Vessel Modified:  (35750b02-483d-4c2c-9d11-0b562d5c7699)
[LOG 20:22:12.442] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.54]: Vessel Modified: SEP-T03 Interior Heat Probe (528a3744-d6b3-4f05-8a49-fbf0a3f6e83c)
[LOG 20:22:12.442] [SEP.IHP]: Deactivated
[LOG 20:22:12.442] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.54]: Vessel Modified: SEP-T03 Interior Heat Probe (528a3744-d6b3-4f05-8a49-fbf0a3f6e83c)
[LOG 20:22:12.442] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.54]: Vessel Destroyed [528a3744-d6b3-4f05-8a49-fbf0a3f6e83c] SEP-T03 Interior Heat Probe
[EXC 20:22:12.453] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KIS.KIS_Shared+<WaitAndCouple>d__2.MoveNext ()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)
[LOG 20:22:12.454] IR: [ServoController] OnVesselUnloaded, v=SEP-T03 Interior Heat Probe
[LOG 20:22:12.468] 1 explosions created.
[LOG 20:22:12.469] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.57]: Vessel situation change
[LOG 20:22:12.485] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.61]: Vessel situation change
[LOG 20:22:13.069] SCREENSHOT!!

bc4screenshot158.png

Very repeatable.  Done this three times now, hence the screenshots.

@Freds It won't do anything on an asteroid (unless that asteroid is parked on the surface). That's actually an interesting idea for added functionality, but it's something that's probably not likely to be added any time soon.

@Geonovast I think there are KIS problems that sometimes result in not being able to connect a part to an attach node (the nodes just don't appear), I don't think there is much you can do about it other than carrying a few spare connectors and extenders.

As for exploding parts... :huh::huh:

40 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Geonovast I think there are KIS problems that sometimes result in not being able to connect a part to an attach node (the nodes just don't appear), I don't think there is much you can do about it other than carrying a few spare connectors and extenders.

As for exploding parts... :huh::huh:

Yeah, the first problem I can work around.  I'll just make a habit of attaching the Transfer Conduits I'll need for the next addon before I leave.

The exploding is just the one piece, the Interior Heat Probe.  All the other modules are fine.  The Transfer Conduit even stays put, hovering above the ground where it would be if the probe didn't explode.

The only other exploding has happened when I would accidentally attach the Transfer Conduit to the ground.

On 6/26/2017 at 10:30 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

No SEP just has defs for stock, OPM, and New Horizons. If anyone wants to write defs, I can get them included in GPP or they can go into SEP.

Did SEP ever get science definitions for GPP?  I'm prepping my mod list for GPP and I'd love to include SEF.  Its one of my favorite mods.

What happens if you deploy the SEP parts in a biome that has no definitions?

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:30 PM, Geonovast said:

The exploding is just the one piece, the Interior Heat Probe.  All the other modules are fine.  The Transfer Conduit even stays put, hovering above the ground where it would be if the probe didn't explode.

I have the exact same problem, with the same results. Very repeatable. Additionally, if I do a quick load, the Interior Heat Probe is hovering above where I placed it by about a 50m or so. Very weird. I first noticed it when KIS was updated (somewhat) recently.

Cheers,

Hello,

Great mod! I had some trouble figuring out how to use some of the items so I have one suggestion to add an in-game manual like KIS

Anyway, I set up the retroreflector and seismic experiments for the first time in the Kerbin mountain biome. I only yielded 3.6 science points for each experiment. Is this normal?  It seems like very little yield for the effort. Im kind of stuck in my career mode and need to harvest some science to progress... so Im going to run these two experiments in a couple other biomes but I just wanted to see if this is the norm or if I maybe have a mod installed thats somehow conflicting with SEP.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, dubdubak said:

Hello,

Great mod! I had some trouble figuring out how to use some of the items so I have one suggestion to add an in-game manual like KIS

Anyway, I set up the retroreflector and seismic experiments for the first time in the Kerbin mountain biome. I only yielded 3.6 science points for each experiment. Is this normal?  It seems like very little yield for the effort. Im kind of stuck in my career mode and need to harvest some science to progress... so Im going to run these two experiments in a couple other biomes but I just wanted to see if this is the norm or if I maybe have a mod installed thats somehow conflicting with SEP.

Thank you!

Science returns are rubbish across Kerbin, take the experiments to the Mun or Minmus and you'll be better off.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, gilbr0ther said:

this mod is crashing my game in 1.3.1 ;.; (I Love this mod)

same for me.

The problem is I have a Lander in transit with the complete package to create a nice little base and I would like to use it...

somebody can help us and upload the mod?

20 hours ago, gilbr0ther said:

this mod is crashing my game in 1.3.1 ;.; (I Love this mod)

23 minutes ago, psychopoak said:

same for me.

The problem is I have a Lander in transit with the complete package to create a nice little base and I would like to use it...

somebody can help us and upload the mod?

for some reason, the 1.3 and 1.3.1 updates both made the game crash if you have any plugins made for previous versions installed. Either wait for @DMagic to update the plugins, or revert to the previous version in Steam.

actually it was working just fine with my 1.3 install. I took my old save where I had left it some pre-1.3 ago and everything was in good form. maybe I was lucky then.

Any idea when we could expect an update? in other words, should I just be a bit patient and wait for it or should I continue forget about these unloaded ships and get them in back in space later on?

6 minutes ago, psychopoak said:

actually it was working just fine with my 1.3 install. I took my old save where I had left it some pre-1.3 ago and everything was in good form. maybe I was lucky then.

Any idea when we could expect an update? in other words, should I just be a bit patient and wait for it or should I continue forget about these unloaded ships and get them in back in space later on?

Well, the mod was updated to 1.3. But for some reason, a lot of people were using 1.2.2 plugins in 1.3 which caused crashed the same as 1.3 plugins are causing crashes now.

I don't know when to expect an update, it's pretty much whenever DMagic can find time for it.

Probably tomorrow, the crash is because of the settings menu that Squad thoroughly broke for 1.3.1, it just requires a recompile. But I need to test a few other things to make sure nothing else is broken.

37 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Probably tomorrow, the crash is because of the settings menu that Squad thoroughly broke for 1.3.1, it just requires a recompile. But I need to test a few other things to make sure nothing else is broken.

that, my good sir, just made my day!

I didn't mean to rush you in any way, but I will be happy to resume my career now that RoverDude and yourself updated the major parts in save.

thanks a lot

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2017 at 9:29 PM, Geonovast said:

First of all, I love this mod!  It's awesome to have something incredibly useful to do on the surface of other planets / moons!

I've been working on a SEP base on The Mun.  First issue I ran into, was after setting up the first couple of tests, going home, researching more, and sending a second mission to add more, I couldn't add plugs to the units already there.  Noticed I had to move the old units first, so no biggie.  Unlinked, moved the last section, re-linked, and good to go.

However, the Interior Heat Probe explodes when I try to attach a Transfer Conduit to it.

screenshot157.png

I've attached the bit of the log between the screenshots.

Reveal hidden contents

[LOG 20:22:10.900] SCREENSHOT!!
[LOG 20:22:11.910] Create part & attach
[LOG 20:22:11.913] Attach new part SEP.plug to SEP.IHP (Vessel): srcNodeId=bottom, tgtNode=right
[LOG 20:22:11.913] Wait for part SEP.plug to get alive...
[LOG 20:22:11.913] StopPointer()
[LOG 20:22:11.913] Set pointer mode to: Attach
[LOG 20:22:11.913] Set pointer mode to: Nothing
[LOG 20:22:11.914] KIS UI lock released
[LOG 20:22:11.914] Pointer destroyed
[LOG 20:22:11.914] Loading sound audio clip: KIS/Sounds/attachScrewdriver
[LOG 20:22:12.432] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.53]: Vessel situation change
[WRN 20:22:12.438] [F: 42586]: Vessel SEP-T03 Interior Heat Probe crashed through terrain on Mun.
[LOG 20:22:12.439] SEP.IHP Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 20:22:12.441] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.54]: Vessel situation change
[LOG 20:22:12.441] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.54]: Vessel Modified:  (35750b02-483d-4c2c-9d11-0b562d5c7699)
[LOG 20:22:12.442] [SEP.IHP]: Deactivated
[LOG 20:22:12.442] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.54]: Vessel Destroyed [528a3744-d6b3-4f05-8a49-fbf0a3f6e83c] SEP-T03 Interior Heat Probe
[EXC 20:22:12.453] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KIS.KIS_Shared+<WaitAndCouple>d__2.MoveNext ()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)
[LOG 20:22:12.454] IR: [ServoController] OnVesselUnloaded, v=SEP-T03 Interior Heat Probe
[LOG 20:22:12.468] 1 explosions created.
[LOG 20:22:12.469] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.57]: Vessel situation change
[LOG 20:22:12.485] -INFO- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFEE8B7C][508.61]: Vessel situation change
[LOG 20:22:13.069] SCREENSHOT!!

bc4screenshot158.png

Very repeatable.  Done this three times now, hence the screenshots.

Me too!

I am presently having an issue where the experiments are returning 0 science, from both the Mun and Minmus. Everything sets up and connects perfectly, the experiments are calibrated, and the station successfully transmits all the science reports from the station.. they just all have a value of 0 when viewed in the science archive, and no points are gained. Am I bugged or, quite possibly, missing something really obvious here?  I set up the experiments with level 1 scientists and engineers, and they are all calibrated, powered and have full green bar connection strength when transmitted. Pictured is an example from the science archives, any idea if something is broken, or if I am just doing something wrong?

Spoiler

HikItp9.jpg

@FlyingSaucer Did you see what the actual value of the experiments was when they were transmitted? Or was this an automatic transmission, either way it should still show up in the log files when it happens. SEP has a weird experiment setup where each instrument has three associated experiment definitions, so seeing multiple experiments with no science is not unexpected. 

Hex guys.
I have a problem. I have the surface experiment mod and other mods that are needed for this mod. So my problem is that i cant open the right-click menu when i click on a plug to connect the sep and a experiment. I cant link the plugs. I hope you have any ideas for this problem.

Thanks Nic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.