[1.6.X] Surface Experiment Pack - Deployable science for KIS/KAS! (v2.7 - 13/Jan/19)

CobaltWolf

On 10/26/2017 at 5:53 PM, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Me too!

On 9/18/2017 at 11:45 AM, DMagic said:

@Geonovast I think there are KIS problems that sometimes result in not being able to connect a part to an attach node (the nodes just don't appear), I don't think there is much you can do about it other than carrying a few spare connectors and extenders.

As for exploding parts... :huh::huh:

So I figured out my issue with the Interior Heat Probe.  Not sure why it didn't affect all of them...

I wasn't attaching them to the ground with 'H'.  I was just dropping them.  It wasn't until I started messing with the CB1 ground base that I realized you could attach stuff to the ground.

No 'splody now.

screenshot195.png

1 minute ago, Wyzard said:

Unrelated to SEP, but if you're playing in Linux and using TextureReplacerReplaced, tuning off reflections in the TRR settings will fix that purple faceplate.

I am, and I am.  I had skimmed the TRR thread and saw other people with the same issue but just figured the fix was stupid-complicated.  Thanks! Worked perfectly.

I'm having a problem with SEP in 1.3.1 where when I transmit the science, only the first experiment to transmit transmits science.  The rest say "Transmitting data....XX data added (instead of science)".  Also all experiment calibrations are being reset to 50%.

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

@madmerlyn @archnem Do either of you have log files for when the calibration is being reset? Also, have you checked if science is actually being added? Those messages come from KSP, which isn't always consistent about how it describes science points. 

I do not about calibration, but I'll keep an eye on it. I have a surface mission going on atm, so it won't take much.  And yes, I've checked to see if science is being added, and it is not.  Only the first experiment to transmit actually adds any science (and the label changes from "science" to "data" after the first one).  I'll see if I can't get you a log sometime today.

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

@madmerlyn @archnem Do either of you have log files for when the calibration is being reset? Also, have you checked if science is actually being added? Those messages come from KSP, which isn't always consistent about how it describes science points. 

I just built a SEP on Minmus and checked to see where it resets calibration.  It's definitely on scene changes, such as going back to the KSC.  I have my .log file, but for the life of me, I can not figure out how to attach it to this post, and I don't think anyone wants me to just cut and paste lol.  Help?!

6 minutes ago, archnem said:

I just built a SEP on Minmus and checked to see where it resets calibration.  It's definitely on scene changes, such as going back to the KSC.  I have my .log file, but for the life of me, I can not figure out how to attach it to this post, and I don't think anyone wants me to just cut and paste lol.  Help?!

Dropbox, google drive, pastebin all work

• 3 weeks later...

In Module Manager 3.0.0 and above using @EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*] doesn't work anymore and I guess should never have worked to begin with.  Removing the [*] appears to make everything functional again though more thorough testing is probably needed.

\SurfaceExperimentPackage\Resources\SEP_NH_ScienceDefs.cfg and \SurfaceExperimentPackage\Resources\SEP_OPM_ScienceDefs.cfg were the cfgs that I found that needed modification.

I'm having a problem with the 2.4 version of this mod with KSP 1.3.1, quite similar to what other people have described before. Basically, setting up, connecting and calibrating works all fine, but collecting data - either from individual parts, reviewing their data, or collecting it from the SEP central box - yields data only from one experiment. For example, I've setup all atmospheric parts and connected them near KSC. I've tried this both in career and sandbox, with other mods and just with KIS, KAS and this mod on a fresh save (not on other planets, although I don't think this would have changed anything). After I exit the scene, do other things in the time the experiments run, and return after, collecting data (in all the different ways) results with just one science report (For example, the laser range thing), so i have 6 of the same experiments. Removing or disconnecting the part which this one experiment came from doesn't change anything. Of course, recovering a kerbal or transmitting with this data only gives me science for this one experiment. The only time this didn't happen was when I set everything up and timewarped in a rover nearby the site, so nothing got unloaded. I got all the different scan results which I should have gotten. This is really frustrating, as this is easily one of the most interesting and fun mods I've ever seen, and it's just sad that it doesn't work for me.

Edited by Hale

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if related at all to above problems, but noticed setting up on a new biome SEP data window shows all experiments to be 100% completed instantly. Had a report of only 1 experiment transmitting that I recall. This is also on KSP 1.3.1, MM 3.0.1, and SEP 2.4.

Hey, been lurking around the forums for a while now, just reading stuff without an account but I had to say this. Your mod is absolutely fantastic, it adds just so much depth and reasons to building a base out of your planet.

However as my current game is on Galileo's Planet Pack, I was wondering how well this integrates with it? 

Folks, I'm having a hard time figuring out what terms to search for.  I'm attempting to set one of these up for the first time in a long time for KSC-biome science strip-mining and I distinctly recall from before that connecting the power cables between the base station and the peripheral modules required me to do more than simply surface-attach the cables to the texture locations of the power sockets, I needed to change to some sort of "node" system.  However, the R-key reports an error message of the equipped power-conduit part only having a single attach node, and holding-H makes the cursor turn red when I place the ghost-cursor near one of the power sockets on either the base station or the peripheral.  I've systematically pecked every key on the keyboard, what should I look for?  Do I have a .dll mismatchsomewhere (very hevily modded early-career)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

For some reason the parts I attached to the surface are hovering above ground... I was testing out the mod by making a Surface Science Base at Kerbin, all was good until I ran out of plugs (actually "power transfer conduits") and I made a second mission there. When I got there the parts were like in the image below.

Spoiler

SPomgDz.png

Weirdest yet, now that they are hovering I can't calibrate them, since the game thinks they are not attached anywhere. When I try something I am prompted with "This instrument must be deplayed on the surface of a planet and operated by a Kerbal while on EVA". Maybe I messed up. not sure! If anyone knows something about this, let me know, thanks!

Big part of that can also be terminology. Asking for support and reporting a bug are not necessarily the same thing, yet it is appearing to be use synonymously there. Rewording of that or vocabulary to such effect could be useful.

That said, have found a problem where experiments are giving full completion of research once any experiment has been done up to a point. Calibrations are also resetting all to the lowest in the batch. Recent try I added 3 new experiments to a research station previously set up with 3 different experiments. Also calibrated existing experiments. All were then started and 75% to 125% calibration. All are now showing 75% calibration and completed up to that point including the new ones never before run.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr3xa080zh01ux0/screenshot6.png?dl=0

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/udtkx989jf99e6t/output_log.txt?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problems as the last page or so are reporting.  Setup a station, go do other stuff, come back and all the experiments are calibrated to the same level and the central station only transmits the first science report. 

Output Log:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EDbfHmzfFzF2ggvX5YyGHelUyC-Y0Vqx

If people having problems could try out these updated assemblies that would help:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2emopfol0e03pv2/SEPScience.dll?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmeagzved3m1n9c/SEPScience.Unity.dll?dl=0

These are the SEPScience.dll and SEPScience.Unity.dll files (your browser may complain about downloading files like this). Put them in the GameData/SurfaceExperimentPackage/Plugins folder, replacing the existing files.

They should fix the problems causing experiments to cross wires with each other, resulting in all experiments having the same calibration level and science data. There were some problems in uniquely identifying each science instrument and linking them up to the data on calibration, experiment, completion level, etc...

If this helps then we'll see about getting a proper release.

Thanks Dmagic, I can likely give these a try when I get home.

I wanted to mention that I had similar problem with not getting science from anything except 1 experiments, but I continued playing and building something in the VAB. As soon as I sent the vehicle to the launch pad I instantly got a notification saying that the SEP station was sending data (from the same experiment as before, the laser) and then I got a whole bunch of science. 

As such it does still seem to be sending that other science, it seems to just get stuck for awhile (at least while still in the same game session). 

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

Thanks Dmagic, I can likely give these a try when I get home.

I wanted to mention that I had similar problem with not getting science from anything except 1 experiments, but I continued playing and building something in the VAB. As soon as I sent the vehicle to the launch pad I instantly got a notification saying that the SEP station was sending data (from the same experiment as before, the laser) and then I got a whole bunch of science. 

As such it does still seem to be sending that other science, it seems to just get stuck for awhile (at least while still in the same game session). 

Hey @DMagic,

So I gave the new DLLs a try and here is what I found. Not sure what is intentional or not since it is obviously for testing, so I'll mention everything I noticed.

1) Flew a ship to Ceti, and setup a station with 8 experiments (the first 8 in the tech tree) in the Ceti Lowlands.

2) Switched to the tracking station.

3) Switch back to the Kerbal near the station, and noticed that the passive seismic sensor was at 100%, despite just being setup seconds before hand. Everything else maintained their timer countdowns as expected though.

4) Switched back to the tracking station and time-warped at max until all experiments were complete.

5) Switched back to the Kerbal near the SEP station and noticed the following:

a) Turning on auto-transmit does nothing. The data didn't transmit despite turning it on and off numerous times.

b) If I reviewed a piece of data and clicked "transmit", it transmitted just fine, and I got the science as expected for the correct experiment. The text in the top left of the screen was correct as well.

c) The SEP Station no longer shows any antenna information (such as range).

d) I collected the rest of that data from that SEP station, and then stored it back on my ship. I then reviewed the stored data and I noticed I had a "laser" experiment from Iota Highlands (0 data) and a laser experiment from the Ceti Lowlands (the expected amount of data). The Iota laser data I collected years ago in the game. So somehow by collecting data from this Ceti Lowlands station, I also got an experiment from the Iota Highlands station on a completely different body. The rest of the data stored on the ship was correct (the data from all of the remaining experiments was for Ceti Lowlands as expected.).

e) The SEP Station no longer has a "transmit" button on the GUI (without reviewing a specific piece of data).

Other Notes:

1) There is an extra "SEP" icon on the toolbar where it shows up. The one does nothing, the other one works pretty much the same as before.

Hope that was helpful. I have screenshots as well if you wanted them.

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

@MechBFP if you have 2 toolbar buttons then you almost certainly have 2 copies of the plugin somewhere.

Make sure that you completely delete the old plugins before adding the new versions.

Whoops, you are correct. What I did was copy the old DLLs into a backup folder in the same directory without realizing directory structure doesn't matter to KSP when looking for mods. :)

Once I removed those, I gave it another test and everything was working perfectly.

Thanks a bunch @DMagic!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.