[1.6.X] Surface Experiment Pack - Deployable science for KIS/KAS! (v2.7 - 13/Jan/19)

CobaltWolf

On 3/1/2018 at 11:54 AM, DStaal said:

Easier than that - Feline Utility Rovers and Planetary Base Systems both have parts that substitute for the central station (the KPBS one can even mount in a rack that fits a 2.5m profile), and Pathfinder offers many parts with built-in plug receptacles (IIRC), as it uses the same size for electrical cables.

yes PBS does indeed have a "K&K SEP Central Station" piece! complete with 4 plugs antenna and 600 ec, thanks for the heads up on that

+1 internets for you

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 10:17 AM, RB101 said:

Does this mod work with 1.4.0/1.4.1?

It does now!

Apologies to all - SEP is now compatible with KSP v1.4.1! @DMagic sent me the files several days ago, but I completely forgot to push it as a release! But, all should be good now on both Spacedock and GitHub. :)

On 15/02/2018 at 5:38 PM, eberkain said:

I was trying to do it on Kerbin, when I do a mun landing I will take one but I was never able to get it to work, all the rest of the experiments work fine. 

So far I've succeeded in intalling this Heat probe twice, once on the Mun, once somewhere else I don't remember, was it Gilly or Duna? I never understood why the probe exploded the other times. I tried to fix it with either the electric screwdriver or the SEP tool, exploded with both. Maybe I wasn't using an engineer on the exploding occurances?  Plus,  it seemed to work only if the probe was attached not to close from the rest of the experiments. It explodes only when I try to put a electric plug on it to connect it to the central station. Maybe it requires to hold the H key a little longer? 

Anyway this mod is fantastic because it makes planetary and moonary exploration less boring than just take data, surface sample ans plant a flag. And those small instruments are so cute !

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

3 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

So far I've succeeded in intalling this Heat probe twice, once on the Mun, once somewhere else I don't remember, was it Gilly or Duna? I never understood why the probe exploded the other times. I tried to fix it with either the electric screwdriver or the SEP tool, exploded with both. Maybe I wasn't using an engineer on the exploding occurances?  Plus,  it seemed to work only if the probe was attached not to close from the rest of the experiments. It explodes only when I try to put a electric plug on it to connect it to the central station. Maybe it requires to hold the H key a little longer? 

Anyway this mod is fantastic because it makes planetary and moonary exploration less boring than just take data, surface sample ans plant a flag. And those small instruments are so cute !

I just opened up the IHP in Unity and think I see the issue - it goes back to the previous issues we always had with some of these parts, stemming from my own user error when making these parts. I've uploaded a test fix to Github - can someone download the master (the green button on the SEP GitHub homepage) and see if it helps? ***WARNING - it will likely break any Interior Heat Probes that you currently have on the surface***

1 hour ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

DO I need the previous SEP download as well?

Because when my crexmembers go out of the vessel, they can't take the things in their seat inventory, I get that kind of orange message. Is it because I have badly installed KIShttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315145713895997440/426035892478541824/unknown.png

In short I get a nullreference exception error on objects stored in inventory.

BTW, I'm on 1.4.1.

BTW, I came back to the SEP 2.6 version and it works fine (also surely changed a mmfile about KIS, that could have made it works.

However, I didn't try your hotfix, and I still could put a heat probe on the leunchpad no problem, perhaps because the ground is very flat?  Strange.

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

First, thanks for this wonderful mod. I really like the concept.

The latest version throws an exception. Seems to be relatively harmless, but I thought I'd mention it anyway:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at SEPScience.SEP_UI.Windows.SEP_AppLauncher.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Tested in Windows 64-bit version of KSP 1.4.1 with only SEP 2.6, KIS 1.10, KAS 0.6.4 and Module Manager 3.06 installed. Full output log is available here.

Edit: I posted the wrong output log file. Now I can't recreate the issue. How peculiar.

--

Edit 2: I managed to recreate the issue. Output log is here. My guess is that it occurs when reverting a flight, but I'm not sure.

Edited by UnanimousCoward

@UnanimousCoward I think it's harmless, the stock toolbar button needs to run in all scenes except the editor, but KSP doesn't have a simple way of specifying that, so it just runs in all scenes and if it starts in the editor then it tries to shut down, which triggers some errors because it tries to clean up the SEP UI when the toolbar button shuts down. I'll fix it for the next version, but you should be able to ignore it for now.

@Apollo13 Either log file works.

There are two errors that can trigger that message, one says "SEP Experiment Handler is null" ... and the other says "SEP Experiment definition is null"... in the log file at the same time the screen message appears. The second indicates some problem with the experiment definitions file (I think the stock bugs caused by duplicate experiment definitions have been fixed, which would have triggered this error, but other problems with the definition file might also trigger it). The first indicates some problems in setting up the experiment handlers, which are the things that store data about each experiment, their status (calibrated, running, off), their progress, the vessel they are attached to, etc...

Here's the KSP.log and output_log.txt files just after attempting to calibrate.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/05ru76o2uamb3jx/SEP_error_Log_files.zip?dl=0

Also includes my: SEP_NH_ScienceDefs.cfg and SEP_OPM_ScienceDefs.cfg DEFs files.  I included these based u[on your post.

At line 52427 in output_log.txt:

[SEP_Science] SEP Experiment definition is null; stopping experiment
possible errors or corruption present in the SEP ScienceDefs file"

The error occurs with all experiments.

Edited by Apollo13

On 3/21/2018 at 11:34 AM, Quoniam Kerman said:

BTW, I came back to the SEP 2.6 version and it works fine (also surely changed a mmfile about KIS, that could have made it works.

However, I didn't try your hotfix, and I still could put a heat probe on the leunchpad no problem, perhaps because the ground is very flat?  Strange.

(sorry, you didn't ping me so I didn't see your reply! :) )

The launchpad isn't a very good test if I remember. IIRC the best way to check is to quickly build a rover and drive clear off the KSC grounds (ie to where the normal terrain takes over from the 'fake' KSC grass) and then test things.

Yes I think the concrete platform of the luanchpad is too plane to make a real test, but for once I was happy not to have en explosion !

I've loaded lots of SEP instruments into my Endurance interplanetary spacecraft, once I'll arrive at my destination, I'll try to make some experiments, Or I'll launch a quick mission to the Mun, I hate to drive rovers them, I always screw up and flip over for some reason.

Don't worry for not pinging you, I just don't want to be a nuisance.

I'm not playing full throttle on my new save just because I wish Kopernicus as well as planet mods and Warp drives would be updated, I just don't know if it is planned or not. (Just hope that the new EULA thing has not shut down planet mods altogether)

4 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Yes I think the concrete platform of the luanchpad is too plane to make a real test, but for once I was happy not to have en explosion !

Alright, if the heat probe explodes again can you try and compare it to the revised/fixed one from the Github? :)

@Apollo13 The science defs files for the expansion planets look fine, but I don't see KSP loading the regular experiment definitions for SEP. Those would be in the SEP Resources folder, next to the other science defs files (the expansion defs just modify the stock planet defs, and so won't work by themselves): https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Surface-Experiment-Pack/tree/master/GameData/SurfaceExperimentPackage/Resources

A search for "EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION" in the log file will turn up all of the sources for experiment definitions. So if SEP's aren't there then they may have been deleted somehow.

Thank you for your response. Your URL link was most helpful.

The problem is I'm forced to use a steaming pile of sh1t called Windows Defender as my anti-virus because an app I need for work depends on it.  I prefer AVG.  Windows Defender flagged one of the files (sep_prefab) in the Resources directory as bad for computers, and stopped loading any files after that.  Hence, the missing files.

I've seen this occur with other mods.  I hate Windows Defender.  I consider it to be a virus.  Regardless, after downloading the install file again, I copied over everything but that file.  Hope it's not needed.  If it is needed, can you name it something "safe" like .txt and provide a link to it?  I would install it, then rename it to the correct name.

Thanks again.

EDIT:  Now that I have all the files, it works fine.

Edited by Apollo13

If I may interject, shoutouts to @N70 for whipping up a Kerbalism compatibility patch for SEP. It's available now on Github if you use Kerbalism and think you need it - I don't want to draft a new release just for that patch, especially since we have a couple possible fixes for other issues in the works I think..?

@Apollo13 I don't want to go down that road. I've had or heard reports of about a dozen mods and KSP itself being flagged as false positives by Windows Defender. If you want you could fork the GitHub repo, then change the file extensions yourself and download it. That would have the same effect.

@Apollo13 I don't want to go down that road. I've had or heard reports of about a dozen mods and KSP itself being flagged as false positives by Windows Defender. If you want you could fork the GitHub repo, then change the file extensions yourself and download it. That would have the same effect.

Can't do it.  Even after forking, I need to download the files, which Windows Defender won't allow.  Would it be possible for you to rename the file with a "safe" extension, such as "txt" in the future?  I know it's not a txt file.

Edited by Apollo13

SEP consistently floats when revisiting a SEP site.  I've tried attaching it to the surface and just placing it.  I still get floating.  This occurs only with SEP.

Sidebar:  The Solar Panels cannot retract.

0HNTHvC.png

Edited by Apollo13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.