[1.6.X] Surface Experiment Pack - Deployable science for KIS/KAS! (v2.7 - 13/Jan/19)

CobaltWolf

I've still got problem with the SEP station not staying put. I downloaded the latest in a KSP 1.6 install. I did a couple of missions to deploy one at Kerbin's northern ice shelf and one at the southern ice shelf. I went back to the northern installation to collect data, and as soon as the scene loaded, the central station started bouncing up and down, then exploded. Note I did attach the modules to the ground _without any tools_.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:06 AM, Brigadier said:

First, thanks for the update and notification that it's compatible with 1.4 and 1.5.

Second, it is, in fact, showing up on CKAN but shows only 1.6 compatibility.  I'm sure one can alter something to reflect the broader compatibility, I just don't know what.

Sorry, I don't know either - perhaps @HebaruSan or @linuxgurugamer could mark compatibility for us? :)

7 minutes ago, Michel Bartolone said:

I've still got problem with the SEP station not staying put. I downloaded the latest in a KSP 1.6 install. I did a couple of missions to deploy one at Kerbin's northern ice shelf and one at the southern ice shelf. I went back to the northern installation to collect data, and as soon as the scene loaded, the central station started bouncing up and down, then exploded. Note I did attach the modules to the ground _without any tools_.

How could you attach it to the ground without tools? :huh:

22 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Merged, repacked, and update pushed to Spacedock and Github. :) Thank you! So all I have to do is make sure I update that file with each release?

Yup. The CKAN bot will pick it up automatically. And if a new version of KSP comes out and you discover that your mod's current version is still compatible, you can update the copy of that file on GitHub with a new value for KSP_VERSION_MAX, and the CKAN bot will update that without needing a new release (that's what the "URL" field does).

If users have KSP-AVC installed, they'll be notified when you create a new release.

2 hours ago, Michel Bartolone said:

This *could* be a stock bug... I've seen reports of docking ports causing similar issue, when undocked on landed craft with wheels/legs...

A workaround for *whatever* is causing it, might be World Stabilizer? Maybe give it a try? vOv
If this *does* "fix" the issue, it might help in diagnosing a permanent fix for SEP? vOv

Stone Blue: I already have the latest version of World Stabilizer installed.

ABookCase Orbital Reference System (ABCORS 0.5.0.4)
Astrogator (Astrogator v0.9.0)
AT Utils (AT-Utils v1.6.2)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.6.0)
BahamutoD Animation Modules (BDAnimationModules 1:v0.6.5.6)
Better SR Bs (BetterSRBs 1.05)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.8.1)
BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.11.2)
Blast Awesomeness Modifier (BAM) (BAMCont 1.3.2.5)
BonVoyage (BonVoyage 0.14.3_-_Power_of_LOx)
CactEye Optics Community (CactEyeCommunity 1.5.1.15)
Camera Focus Changer (CameraFocusChanger 1:1.0.4.2)
Camera Tools (CameraTools v1.11.0)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.6.10)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.0.0.0)
Configurable Containers (ConfigurableContainers 2.4.3.4)
Configurable Containers Core (ConfigurableContainers-Core 2.4.3.4)
CorrectCoL (CorrectCoL 1.6.4.3)
Corvus CF (Corvus125mTwoKerbalPod v1.3.4)
Craft Manager (CraftManager 1.1.5)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.4.2)
DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric (DMagicScienceAnimate v0.20)
Docking Port Sound FX (DockingPortSoundFX v2.1.12)
Dr. Jet's Chop Shop (ChopShop 1:0.11.4.4)
Draggable Altimeter (DraggableAltimeter v1.0.1)
Draggable Navball (DraggableNavball v1.0.1)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 1.10)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.19.10)
EVA Enhancements Continued (EVAEnhancementsContinued 0.1.13.6)
EVA Struts (EVAStruts 5.0)
EVA Transfer (EVATransfer 8.1)
Experiment Tracker (ExperimentTracker v1.3.4.3)
Ferram Aerospace Research Continued (FerramAerospaceResearchContinued 3:0.15.9.6)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.11.0)
Fuel Tank Expansion Rebuilt (MunarIndustriesFTX 0.9.6.3)
HangerExtender (HangerExtenderExtended 3.5.3.4)
HullcamVDS Continued (HullcamVDSContinued 0.1.9.12)
Improved Chase Camera (ImprovedChaseCamera v1.6.2.1)
IndicatorLights (IndicatorLights 1.4.2)
IndicatorLights Community Extensions (IndicatorLightsCommunityExtensions 1.4)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 3.6.17.3)
K2 Command Pod Continued (K2CommandPodCont 1.1.8.6)
Kalculator (Kalculator 0.2.3)
Keep It Straight (KeepItStraight 1.0.5)
KEI (KEI 1.2.9.5)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.1)
Kerbal Dust Experiment (KDEX v1.11.2)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.5.7)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.16)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.2.0.7)
KSP ExtendedAntennaProgression (ExtendedAntennaProgression v0.1.1)
KSP Wheel (KSPWheel 0.12.10.28)
KXAPI (KXAPI 1.1.0)
LoadingTipsPlus (LoadingTipsPlus V1.7)
MagiCore (MagiCore 1.3.1.4)
Maneuver Node Evolved (ManeuverNodeEvolved 4.0)
MechJeb 2 - DEV RELEASE (MechJeb2-dev 2.8.1.0-851)
MechJeb and Engineer for all! (MechJebForAll 1.3.0.5)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.6.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 3.1.3)
Navball Docking Alignment Indicator CE-2 (NavballDockAlignIndCE 1.0.4.4)
Nehemiah Engineering Orbital Science (NehemiahEngineeringOrbitalScience 0.8.0)
Orbital Survey Plus (OrbitalSurveyPlus 2.3.6)
Patch Manager (PatchManager 0.0.16.4)
Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.9.4)
QuantumStrutsContinued (QuantumStrutsContinued 1.7.3.3)
QuickSearch (QuickSearch 1:3.2.2.1)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.30.6)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.30.6)
RealChute Parachute Systems (RealChute v1.4.7.2)
Recycled Parts Mk2 KIS Containers (RecycledPartsMk2KISContainers 0.1.4.8)
SCANsat (SCANsat v18.10)
Science Revisited Revisited (ScienceRevisitedRevisited 1.7.1)
Sensible Pumps Continued (SensiblePumpsCont 1.2.6.3)
Solar Science (SolarScience v1.06)
Structural Disks (StructuralDisks 1.2.0.1)
Structural Tubing Restructured (StructuralTubing 1.0.7.4)
Surface Experiment Pack (SurfaceExperimentPack v2.7.1)
Surface Mounted Lights (surfacelights 1.11)
Targetron (Targetron v1.6.1)
TD Industries RCS and Hypergolic engines (TDIndustriesRCSandHypergolicengines 1.0.3b)
Textures Unlimited (TexturesUnlimited 1.2.3.17)
The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.4.6)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.17.15)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.6.20)
Tracking Station Evolved (TrackingStationEvolved 4.1)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.4.0.7)
WorldStabilizer (WorldStabilizer 0.9.3)

I'm also seeing issues with bases staying put. I popped it down, all was good, went away, came back, and now it is suspended a metre above the ground. It's still working, it's not exploded, but the game won't let me switch away as it believes the "ship" is in freefall.

8 minutes ago, TGApples said:

I'm also seeing issues with bases staying put. I popped it down, all was good, went away, came back, and now it is suspended a metre above the ground. It's still working, it's not exploded, but the game won't let me switch away as it believes the "ship" is in freefall.

Again, can you confirm that the parts are actually being surface attached to the ground? And even then, I'm not sure if it's fixable. My understanding is this might just be a limitation of floating points and the maximum level of detail/precision that is possible with the game. Make sure that your terrain settings etc are turned up all the way too if they're not.

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Again, can you confirm that the parts are actually being surface attached to the ground? And even then, I'm not sure if it's fixable. My understanding is this might just be a limitation of floating points and the maximum level of detail/precision that is possible with the game. Make sure that your terrain settings etc are turned up all the way too if they're not.

My method was to attach all parts to the ground then link them up.

I had terrain detial on medium when I placed it! That seems to be the only relevent option. I have it on high now and they're no longer floating, I'll keep an eye on it and see if they refloat.

2 minutes ago, TGApples said:

My method was to attach all parts to the ground then link them up.

I had terrain detial on medium when I placed it! That seems to be the only relevent option. I have it on high now and they're no longer floating, I'll keep an eye on it and see if they refloat.

Yeah, might be worth adding that to the OP. Any mod dealing with ground stuff (like Kerbal Konstructs, for instance), you should really have your terrain detail maxed. :)

So now I encountered a problem. Been trying to figure out what could be causing it, but no luck. Here's what happens:
i'm trying to set up a test base on Kerbin, I placed all available experiments and I tried to connect them. Surface attachment with wrench works well, but I can't seem to force any Kerbal to equip the port attachment tool (AKA red screwdriver). I thought I need an engineer, I thought they needed to be trained (I leveled them up to lvl 1 so far), I upgraded few buildings, but just nobody can hold that tool. Going on KSp 1.4.5  with newest mod version. Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

So now I encountered a problem. Been trying to figure out what could be causing it, but no luck. Here's what happens:
i'm trying to set up a test base on Kerbin, I placed all available experiments and I tried to connect them. Surface attachment with wrench works well, but I can't seem to force any Kerbal to equip the port attachment tool (AKA red screwdriver). I thought I need an engineer, I thought they needed to be trained (I leveled them up to lvl 1 so far), I upgraded few buildings, but just nobody can hold that tool. Going on KSp 1.4.5  with newest mod version. Any ideas?

Download the latest version of the mod, KIS changed the way equipables worked.

I seem to have the most recent one (2.7.1), but reinstalled both this and KIS just in case - further investigation revealed that only KIS items can be equipped, mentioned wrench, book and a container on the back. I assume that electric screwdriver would work as well. But manual one, the golf club or "fallen kerbonaut" item, not sure where it came from, none of these can be equipped.
I do have tons of other mods but they all look up to date, or maybe I am missing something.

5 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I seem to have the most recent one (2.7.1), but reinstalled both this and KIS just in case - further investigation revealed that only KIS items can be equipped, mentioned wrench, book and a container on the back. I assume that electric screwdriver would work as well. But manual one, the golf club or "fallen kerbonaut" item, not sure where it came from, none of these can be equipped.
I do have tons of other mods but they all look up to date, or maybe I am missing something.

If you're on the 'old' KIS, then use the second-to-last release of SEP which doesn't have those fixes.

Oh so that was it.  KIS 1.14 seems to be the last compatible with 1.4.5 (according to CKAN) so that is the one I have, not the latest. Switched to SEP 2.6 and everything looks fine, thanks for help!

EDIT: Now encountering same issue as some people above. The part description says that it can be attached to the ground without a tool (and it appears to be, as I can't move it when I try to walk into it) but after two reloads it started bouncing like crazy. Terrain settings maxed, but I do have SVT, not sure if it does anything to terrain besides making the textures better.

Edited by The Aziz

For me, experiments (and, interestingly, stuff near them, e.g. a rover) keep explode after LEAVING the scene. I have a base on the Mun, and my experiments some 1.7 km away. They're attached to the ground, everything seems fine. Sometimes, when switching back to my base, I hear an explosion. Last time it was the rover near the experiments, this time it was the SEP central station. After switching back, the remaining experiments are half a meter underground - they are still visible, but most of the cables are not.

Here's a snip of my log:

[LOG 03:05:59.521] [SEP_Science] Processing loaded SEP vessel: SEP Central Station
6 SEP modules found
[LOG 03:06:00.234] Unpacking Bob Kerman
[LOG 03:06:00.235] Unpacking SEP Central Station
[LOG 03:06:00.294] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI
[LOG 03:06:00.568] Unpacking kerbalEVA (Bob Kerman). Vel: (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
[LOG 03:06:12.528] [Kopernicus] No new objects this time. (Probablility is 15%)
[LOG 03:06:12.529] [Kopernicus] No new objects this time. (Probablility is 15%)
[LOG 03:06:12.529] [Kopernicus] No new objects this time. (Probablility is 15%)
[LOG 03:06:29.155] [Kopernicus] No new objects this time. (Probablility is 15%)
[LOG 03:06:44.177] [Kopernicus] No new objects this time. (Probablility is 15%)
[LOG 03:06:44.177] [Kopernicus] No new objects this time. (Probablility is 15%)
[LOG 03:06:47.102] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Bill Kerman ---------------------- 
[LOG 03:06:47.104] [Dynamic Battery Storage]: Summary: 
 vessel kerbalEVA (Bob Kerman) (loaded state True)
- 0 stock power handlers
 vessel kerbalEVA (Bill Kerman) (loaded state True)
- 0 stock power handlers
 vessel flag (Grand Mun Hotel) (loaded state True)
- 0 stock power handlers
 vessel SEP.CentralStation (SEP Central Station) (loaded state True)
- 2 stock power handlers
[LOG 03:06:47.105] [Dynamic Battery Storage]: Summary: 
 vessel probeStackSmall (Mun Polar Base) (loaded state True)
- 13 stock power handlers
[LOG 03:06:47.105] Packing SEP Central Station for orbit
[LOG 03:06:47.106] [Dynamic Battery Storage]: Summary: 
 vessel kerbalEVA (Bob Kerman) (loaded state True)
- 0 stock power handlers
- 0 stock power handlers
 vessel flag (Grand Mun Hotel) (loaded state True)
- 0 stock power handlers
 vessel SEP.CentralStation (SEP Central Station) (loaded state True)
- 2 stock power handlers
[LOG 03:06:47.107] [Dynamic Battery Storage]: Summary: 
 vessel probeStackSmall (Mun Polar Base) (loaded state True)
- 13 stock power handlers
[LOG 03:06:47.144] Packing Bob Kerman for orbit
[LOG 03:06:47.144] Detected switch from kerbalEVA (Bob Kerman) (Vessel) to kerbalEVA (Bill Kerman) (Vessel). Request camera stabilization.
[LOG 03:06:47.144] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Bill Kerman
[LOG 03:06:47.154] [1/27/2019 3:06:47 AM [x] Science!]: <Trace> (ShipStateWindow) - MapObjectSelected
[LOG 03:06:47.154] [1/27/2019 3:06:47 AM [x] Science!]: <Trace> (ShipStateWindow) - Vessel
[LOG 03:06:47.155] Camera Mode: AUTO
[WRN 03:06:47.156] [Part]: kerbalEVA (Bill Kerman) holds crew but has no interior model defined!
[LOG 03:06:47.262] IR: [ServoController] vessel kerbalEVA (Bill Kerman)
[LOG 03:06:47.262] [BetterBurnTime] Vessel changed to Bill Kerman
[LOG 03:06:47.518] 1/27/2019 3:06:47 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Active Vessel changed - resetting inqueue flag
[EXC 03:06:47.519] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KerbalActuators.WBIVTOLManager.DecreaseVerticalSpeed (Single amount)
	KerbalActuators.WBIVTOLManager.Update ()
[LOG 03:06:47.639] 1/27/2019 3:06:47 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Removing DrawGUI from PostRender Queue
[LOG 03:06:47.644] [Dynamic Battery Storage]: Summary: 
- 0 stock power handlers
[LOG 03:06:47.856] 1/27/2019 3:06:47 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Vessel Change from 'Bob Kerman' to 'Bill Kerman'
[LOG 03:06:47.858] Unpacking Bill Kerman
[LOG 03:06:47.859] Unpacking Mun Polar Base
[LOG 03:06:47.865] [Part:KAS.RTS1 (id=F3894809695)#Module:0] Connector state changed: [NULL] => Plugged
[LOG 03:06:47.868] [Part:KAS.RTS1 (id=F878326811)#Module:0] Connector state changed: [NULL] => Plugged
[LOG 03:06:47.873] [Part:KAS.W1 (id=F2702927916)#Module:0] Connector state changed: [NULL] => Locked
[LOG 03:06:47.886] [KerbalJointReinforcement] WARNING: extents could not be properly built for part 'Drill-O-Matic Junior' Mining Excavator
[LOG 03:06:47.887] [KerbalJointReinforcement] WARNING: extents could not be properly built for part 'Drill-O-Matic Junior' Mining Excavator
[LOG 03:06:47.913] Unpacking Grand Mun Hotel
[LOG 03:06:47.956] 1/27/2019 3:06:47 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Adding DrawGUI to PostRender Queue
[LOG 03:06:47.956] 1/27/2019 3:06:47 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Skipping version check
[LOG 03:06:48.415] Unpacking kerbalEVA (Bill Kerman). Vel: (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
[WRN 03:06:48.980] [F: 1031501]: Vessel SEP Central Station crashed through terrain on Mun.
[LOG 03:06:48.980] SEP.CentralStation (SEP Central Station) Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5

EDIT: I moved Bill back to the base and boarded it, then quicksaved. No explosion. Then switched back to the experiments, and had the same as @TGApples: It looked steady, but the experiments were hovering a meter over the ground, and I gouldn't switch away, as the game said my vessel was "about to crash". So I reloaded my quicksave, and heard the explosion. So my experiments are gone for good :(

Edited by infinite_monkey

• 4 weeks later...

I have a slightly different problem than everyone else seems to be having. I can place the Central Station, experiments etc and attach the Power Transfer Conduits, but I cannot link them together. I've tried using the red screw driver (which seems to work fine for me), wrench and power wrench, but nothing is allowing me to link the experiments to the Central station (or anything for that matter).

I'm using SEP 2.7.1 / KAS 1.1 / KIS 1.18 on KSP 1.6.1; all mods uninstalled/reinstalled with CKAN.

Let me know if you need logs or anything else.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Stratickus said:

I have a slightly different problem than everyone else seems to be having. I can place the Central Station, experiments etc and attach the Power Transfer Conduits, but I cannot link them together. I've tried using the red screw driver (which seems to work fine for me), wrench and power wrench, but nothing is allowing me to link the experiments to the Central station (or anything for that matter).

I'm using SEP 2.7.1 / KAS 1.1 / KIS 1.18 on KSP 1.6.1; all mods uninstalled/reinstalled with CKAN.

Let me know if you need logs or anything else.

Cheers,

Are you using the dedicated connector part for SEP units?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.