[1.6.X] Surface Experiment Pack - Deployable science for KIS/KAS! (v2.7 - 13/Jan/19)

CobaltWolf

Just going to leave this here as a tribute to fun I've had with SEP over the last year.  Great mod and really added to the feeling of Sciencing the excrements Outta Things rather than just planting a flag and leaving.  It will be missed!

s4JWKhW.png

RIP SEP, a mod that has been part of my KSP install for years, even though I haven't landed on the Mun since 2014.

Thanks for the beautiful parts and the fun gameplay, and thank you for being clear about the future of the mod.

Thank you - and understand.

Still works great for me in 1.7; I just use a solar panel or structural panel or beam to attach everything to, and they work just great (electrical and data transfer through shared part(s) connection).

As much fun as it is running cables is, this is more enjoyable. :)

Okay - so here is the patch I wrote that changes the [AKA GolfClub] name so can auto add to seat inventories:

Spoiler

// creates duplicate part without the space in the name
+PART[AKI?GolfClub]:FOR[SurfaceExperimentPack]
{
	@name = SEPGolfClub
	//@cost = 25	// instead of 250 - unless it is Gold Plated and Tungsten signed by the great Kack Kicklaus himself
}

// hides original part (so doesn't break saves)
@PART[AKI?GolfClub]:AFTER[SurfaceExperimentPack]
{
	@TechRequired = Unresearchable
	@category = none
}

// zer0Kerbal

and here is the MM patch to autoadd to seat inventory:

Spoiler

// Specifies default settings of every new inventory created in the editor.
@KISConfig 
{
  @Editor  		
  {
	@PodInventory
	{
		// Specifies items to add to every pod's seat. To add more items add more lines.
		addToAllSeats = SEPGolfClub				
		addToAllSeats = KIS.evapropellant 		
    	// Specifies items to add to the first pod's seat only.
      	//addToTheFirstSeatOnly = KIS.evapropellant
      	//addToTheFirstSeatOnly = SEPGolfClub
    }
  }
 }

Thank you everyone for the kind words. :) And as for this question...

23 hours ago, jost said:

I understand, that it's your right to do whatever your want, but can you explain why you prefer that SEP doesn't get adopted, please?

I just would like to understand, and I guess I'm not alone.

... everyone should check the announcements board if they haven't. :)

If anyone is still wondering, I had talked about ending SEP with some close friends last week, and a couple of them assured me not to worry, but did not elaborate more. It seems that this is even better than I could have hoped for.

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Thank you everyone for the kind words. :) And as for this question...

... everyone should check the announcements board if they haven't. :)

If anyone is still wondering, I had talked about ending SEP with some close friends last week, and a couple of them assured me not to worry, but did not elaborate more. It seems that this is even better than I could have hoped for.

That explains a lot :) I will stick to the last version of SEP and purchase the DLC when it's not working any moore

10 minutes ago, cakepie said:

So that's what you were being so cryptic about! I had my suspicions but couldn't be sure.

I actually didn't know other than I had been told to not worry about it. I had my suspicions as well but it's nice to see them confirmed, and probably better than I expected.

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I promise I won't adopt this mod

... Ninja'd by Squad, I think?

On a more serious note, congratulations, @CobaltWolf!  I think.  Honestly, were I in your position, I'd have mixed feelings about all of this:  laying a mod to rest only to find it resurrected (and stocked, after a fashion, no less) within hours seems dizzying at the least.  But I'm not in your position, so I will instead say that the incorporation of your ideas is very much a nod to fine work well done.  Even if you didn't want to do it anymore, you still did something to be proud of.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to put my two cents in- namely, to thank @CobaltWolf very much for all his hard work on this mod over the years. I'm sorry to see it end, but I'm excited that Squad decided to make something similar part of the stock game!

I know I pretty much abandoned this mod, and in fact KSP, but it was not really by choice- I've developed chronic tendonitis in both wrists, and even simple things like docking and maneuvering EVA Kerbals became very painful, and I had to choose to focus on the things in life that either don't use my hands much, or things that I though it was worth fighting through the pain for.

4 minutes ago, captinjoehenry said:

I'm sorry to hear this mod is no longer being supported.  

As it is does it still work in 1.7?  I have it installed but I can't link the power connectors.

I don't think there's anything technically wrong with it - except that the version if KAS it needs isn't supported under 1.7.  (You need KAS for the power connectors, and the method this uses was depreciated.)

41 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I don't think there's anything technically wrong with it - except that the version if KAS it needs isn't supported under 1.7.  (You need KAS for the power connectors, and the method this uses was depreciated.)

I use it with 1.7 and KAS 1.3 - just attach parts to a girder or part - don't need to run wires. - haven't tried, but suspect that an EVA strut could also work.

9 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

I use it with 1.7 and KAS 1.3 - just attach parts to a girder or part - don't need to run wires. - haven't tried, but suspect that an EVA strut could also work.

Ah thanks!  Could I set it up using the new KAS pipes?  So it still looks somewhat like it used to or do I need a physical part connection?

9 hours ago, captinjoehenry said:

Ah thanks!  Could I set it up using the new KAS pipes?  So it still looks somewhat like it used to or do I need a physical part connection?

I have been using a rover solar panel from Chopshop (RSP-R) and just attaching everything to that - no pipes, the solar panel acts as a physical connection. I only started doing this because KAS's update.

one could just use the included truss - just add more and attach the experiments to the truss and the truss(es) to the computer.

I don't know if the new kas pipes would work (or similar and that would also keep the spirit of the mod). I would think that anything that physically connects the parts together would work.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

2 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

I have been using a rover solar panel from Chopshop (RSP-R) and just attaching everything to that - no pipes, the solar panel acts as a physical connection. I only started doing this because KAS's update.

one could just use the included truss - just add more and attach the experiments to the truss and the truss(es) to the computer.

I don't know if the new kas pipes would work (or similar and that would also keep the spirit of the mod). I would think that anything that physically connects the parts together would work.

Yeah I just ended up using a truss.  As the SEP parts other than the command station I think don't allow surface attachment :(

Just now, captinjoehenry said:

Yeah I just ended up using a truss.  As the SEP parts other than the command station I think don't allow surface attachment :(

I believe the shortcut key to turn surface attachment on/off in VAB is 'T'

Could also use Superfluous Nodes; I believe that adds attachment nodes for SEP parts - still helpful

MM patch to make all SEP parts surface attachable would be something like:

Spoiler

// make all SEP parts surface attachable

@PART[SEP_*]:NEEDS[SurfaceExperimentPackage]
{
    @attachRules = 1,1,0,0,1
}

// zer0Kerbal

Just now, zer0Kerbal said:

I believe the shortcut key to turn surface attachment on/off in VAB is 'T'

Could also use Superfluous Nodes; I believe that adds attachment nodes for SEP parts - still helpful

MM patch to make all SEP parts surface attachable would be something like:

Hide contents

// make all SEP parts surface attachable

@PART[SEP_*]:NEEDS[SurfaceExperimentPackage]
{
    @attachRules = 1,1,0,0,1
}

// zer0Kerbal

Thanks!  As it is though I need to single stack struts and I have bug where only the top right corner of the items in KIS actually show up making it a massive loveing pain in the butt to work with struts so I'll just stick with tresses

1 minute ago, captinjoehenry said:

Thanks!  As it is though I need to single stack struts and I have bug where only the top right corner of the items in KIS actually show up making it a massive loveing pain in the butt to work with struts so I'll just stick with tresses

EVA Strut Stacking MM Patch (and more):

Spoiler

// make KIS Stackable

// EVAFuelline
@PART[EVAfuelLine]:NEEDS[KIS,EVATransfer]:FINAL
{
	@description ^= :$: KIS stackable.
	%MODULE[ModuleKISItem] { %stackable = True }
}

// EVAStrut
@PART[EVAstrutline]:NEEDS[KIS,EVAStruts]:FINAL
{
}

// QuantumStrut and Strut Gun
@PART[QuantumStrut,StrutGun]:NEEDS[KIS,QuantumStrutsContinued]:FINAL
{
}

// Uncomment to add property to ALL parts,warning this will add many patches to your load time.
//@PART[*]:FINAL
//{
//	%MODULE[ModuleKISItem]
//	{
//			@description ^= :$: KIS stackable.
// 			%stackable = true
// 		}	
//}

// zer0Kerbal

haven't used QuantumStruts - but might be a solution.

Can also use this MM patch file to auto add items into KIS command seat inventory (and other settings) - use the hotkeys (number keys on top of the keyboard) so you don't have to open/close KIS inventory.

Spoiler

// Adjust KISConfig settings
// Patches need to be in this order and seperate
@KISConfig:FINAL
{
  @EvaPickup {
    //@grabKey = g	
    //@attachKey = h	
    //@redockKey = y
    //@allowPartAttach = False
    //@allowStaticAttach = False
    //@allowSnapAttach = False
    @maxDistance = 5 // 3
    @grabMaxMass = 1.5 //1
    //@dropSndPath = KIS/Sounds/drop
    //@attachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/attachPart
    //@detachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/detachPart
    //@attachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/attachStatic
    //@detachStaticSndPath = KIS/Sounds/detachStatic
    //@draggedIconResolution = 64
  }
}

@KISConfig:FINAL {
  @EvaInventory   {
     //@inventoryKey = tab
     //@rightHandKey = x
     //@helmetKey = j
     @slotsX = 2
     @slotsY = 6
     //@slotSize = 50
     //@itemIconResolution = 128
     //@selfIconResolution = 128
     @maxVolume = 500
     //@openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/inventoryOpen
     //@closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/inventoryClose
  }
}

// Specifies default settings of every new inventory created in the editor.
@KISConfig:FINAL {
	@Editor {
		@PodInventory {
		// Specifies items to add to every pod's seat. To add more items add more lines.
			addToAllSeats = KIS.electricScrewdriver 	// Hotkey 1
			addToAllSeats = EVAstrutline  				// Hotkey 2
			addToAllSeats = EVAstrutline  				// Hotkey 3
			addToAllSeats = EVAstrutline  				// Hotkey 4
			addToAllSeats = EVAstrutline 				// Hotkey 5
			addToAllSeats = EVAstrutline 				// Hotkey 6
			addToAllSeats = EVAfuelLine					// Hotkey 7
			addToAllSeats = EVAstrutline 				// Hotkey 8
			addToAllSeats = EVAstrutline 				// Hotkey 9
			addToAllSeats = KIS.evapropellant 			// Hotkey 0	
		// Specifies items to add to the first pod's seat only.
			// addToTheFirstSeatOnly = ELMallet
			// addToTheFirstSeatOnly = ELSurveyStake
			// addToTheFirstSeatOnly = SEPGolfClub
		}
	}
}

// zer0Kerbal

10 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Did any of you guys complaining about the broken KAS try this guy's patch? It looks like a decent starting point to get the plugs working with KAS 1.2+  Really all it should take is rewriting the plugs to work with the new KAS. I don't use this mod or I'd have done it a month ago.

nice find. might take a whack at rewriting as a MM patch instead of modifying part. shouldn't be hard - just !module and +module or two. add :NEEDS[]and :FINAL or just do a :FOR[]...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.