[1.6.X] Surface Experiment Pack - Deployable science for KIS/KAS! (v2.7 - 13/Jan/19)

CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

nice find. might take a whack at rewriting as a MM patch instead of modifying part. shouldn't be hard - just !module and +module or two. add :NEEDS[]and :FINAL or just do a :FOR[]...

When a mod has been declared obsolete and abandoned, (I have a couple). What I normally do is copy the .cfg I want to fix to my personal patches and rename the original one under the mod to .txt. Doing this way I'm protected in the unlikely event the mod updates (I don't lose my version) and I find it much simpler to rewrite and debug than patch it through MM when it's a heavy edit on a part.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:31 AM, Tonka Crash said:

When a mod has been declared obsolete and abandoned, (I have a couple). What I normally do is copy the .cfg I want to fix to my personal patches and rename the original one under the mod to .txt. Doing this way I'm protected in the unlikely event the mod updates (I don't lose my version) and I find it much simpler to rewrite and debug than patch it through MM when it's a heavy edit on a part.

I like your strategy, would use it however my best practices is to always presume the mod is active and/or will be revived. So to that 'best practices' rule, I try to not edit parts directly, but rather with MM patches. This also allows easier sharing and backup/restoration.

SO with that in mind, and with the link provided - here is v0.1 of a patch to fix it. Haven't tried it yet (tomorrow) - Have tried the patch and it works, checked with -mm-dump  and confirmed it works, see next post. but thought would throw up for initial peer review:

Spoiler

@PART[SEP_plug]:NEEDS[SurfaceExperimentPackage]:FINAL
{
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0319243, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

// Remove pre-KAS 1.3 version
	-MODULE[KASModulePort]{}
	-MODULE[KASModuleStrut]{}

// Update to current KAS version
	MODULE	{
		name = KASLinkTargetBase

// AbstractLinkPeer
		linkType = SEPCable
		linkTypeDisplayName = this is a test
		attachNodeName = top
		allowCoupling = true
	}

MODULE {
		name = KASLinkSourceInteractive

// AbstractLinkPeer
		linkType = SEPCable
		attachNodeName = kasSrcAuto0
		attachNodeDef = 0.0, 0.1191, 0.0,  0.0, 1.0, 0.0,  0
		allowCoupling = true

// KASLinkSourceBase
		jointName = cableJoint
		linkRendererName = cableRenderer
		coupleMode = AlwaysCoupled

// KASLinkSourceInteractive
		sndPathPlug = KAS/Sounds/grappleAttachEva
		sndPathUnplug = KAS/Sounds/grappleDetach
		sndPathBroke = KAS/Sounds/broke
		startLinkMenu = Link
		breakLinkMenu = Unlink
	}

MODULE {
		name = KASRendererPipe

// KASRendererPipe
		rendererName = cableRenderer
		pipeDiameter = 0.04
		pipeTexturePath = SurfaceExperimentPackage/Parts/pipe
		pipeNormalsTexturePath = KAS/Textures/ProceduralSteelCableNRM
		pipeTextureSamplesPerMeter = 40
		sourceJoint {}
		targetJoint {}
	}

MODULE {
		name = KASJointCableBase

// AbstractJoint
		jointName = cableJoint
		anchorAtSource = 0, 0, 0
		anchorAtTarget = 0, 0, 0.0422
		minLinkLength = 0
		maxLinkLength = 5
		linkBreakForce = 100

// KASJointCableBase
		cableSpringForce = 1000
		cableSpringDamper = 1
	}
}

// Thank you to: Nistenf
	// Source idea from:
	// https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155382-16x-surface-experiment-pack-deployable-science-for-kiskas-v27-13jan19/&do=findComment&comment=3581947

// zer0Kerbal

should do everything the edited part in the patch did.

@CobaltWolf  @Nistenf @captinjoehenry

Edited by zer0Kerbal
replaced ! with - in patch.

@zer0Kerbal Great that you made a patch!

A question from a newbie (me): I have installed KSP 1.7 KAS 1.3 SEP 2.7 and placed your MM-patch in the GameData folder. I have an engineer holding a normal wrench and have attached two plugs to two seperate outlets. How do I connect them? 

Do I need to press a specific key? Or does a specific RMB option need to turn up? Do I need the electric screwdriver?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, HydronCollider said:

@zer0Kerbal Great that you made a patch!

A question from a newbie (me): I have installed KSP 1.7 KAS 1.3 SEP 2.7 and placed your MM-patch in the GameData folder. I have an engineer holding a normal wrench and have attached two plugs to two seperate outlets. How do I connect them? 

Do I need to press a specific key? Or does a specific RMB option need to turn up? Do I need the electric screwdriver?

Thanks in advance!

next step is to right click one plug and a popup menu with a 'link' button will appear. Click <link> and then left click the other plug. That should be all.

Screwdriver / Electric Screwdriver / That other neon pink electric powered screwdriver (and a scientist if possible) (or at least use a scientist to calibrate (see SEP OP).

I do not know if you can walk a distance (or how far) to link them like the old one. guess I should try.

This should be enough - ask if it isn't. :)

PS - also suggest making your own folder under GameData (like zzzMMPatches) for all those loose MM patches you have collected/will collect. the z puts the folder last, which will help make sure your personal patches are applied last-laster-last.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

8 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

next step is to right click one plug and a popup menu with a 'link' button will appear. Click <link> and then left click the other plug. That should be all.

Screwdriver / Electric Screwdriver / That other neon pink electric powered screwdriver (and a scientist if possible) (or at least use a scientist to calibrate (see SEP OP).

I do not know if you can walk a distance (or how far) to link them like the old one. guess I should try.

This should be enough - ask if it isn't. :)

PS - also suggest making your own folder under GameData (like zzzMMPatches) for all those loose MM patches you have collected/will collect. the z puts the folder last, which will help make sure your personal patches are applied last-laster-last.

Hide contents

Thanks for the reply, it works! Turns out I should not right click 'save as' from Github as it includes the HTML information. Oops!

• 2 weeks later...

I installed all the appliances on the ground. I installed the station. I connected the solar panels. Inserted everywhere sockets. I right-click the mouse on the outlet and a dialog box appears, but there is nothing there that you need to click in order to fuse them. Does anyone know why?

40 minutes ago, Vadym said:

I installed all the appliances on the ground. I installed the station. I connected the solar panels. Inserted everywhere sockets. I right-click the mouse on the outlet and a dialog box appears, but there is nothing there that you need to click in order to fuse them. Does anyone know why?

see above and OP. I made a patch (above) that fixes this.

13 minutes ago, Vadym said:

So what needs to be done to install this patch?

In the context of this mod, there's two good answers to that question.

1. Wait for KAS to update for 1.7.1, then follow normal patch install procedures.
  2. Don't.  This mod is discontinued and broken in current KSP, and the new DLC has similar parts.  Use those.

11 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Unfortunately, there is no description of how to install the patch. They write about how to put fashion. I know how to put them. Then a patch came out and you need to register it somewhere, if I understood correctly. But where ...?

7 minutes ago, Vadym said:

Unfortunately, there is no description of how to install the patch. They write about how to put fashion. I know how to put them. Then a patch came out and you need to register it somewhere, if I understood correctly. But where ...?

You just need to open up notepad, paste in the patch that @zer0Kerbal posted, and save it somewhere in your gamedata as a .cfg file.

Well, I did it all. I opened the notebook. Copied there all that was on GitHub. Clicked "Save As" and saved it under the name "MM_SEP_plugfix.cfg". I put it in the "GameData" folder. But still nothing works. Maybe I did something wrong?

4 minutes ago, Vadym said:

I have version 1.7.1 and Making history

(Could you use the normal font size?)  Then at the moment you'll need to either downgrade to 1.7.0, wait for KAS to update, or buy and use Breaking Ground instead.

KAS is broken for 1.7.1 - @IgorZ and others working on it.

otherwise -

Spoiler

in this case - make sure you have module manager installed

then make a directory (if you haven't made one for yourself) under /gamedata/ name it something like 'zMyPatches'

in that directory make a text file - name it something that will help you remember what it is, something like 'SEP_plug_patch.cfg'

in that newly created file, copy and paste the MM patch I wrote

save and it should fix the issue.

find the patch. copy the

On 5/21/2019 at 5:58 AM, zer0Kerbal said:

SO with that in mind, and with the link provided - here is v0.1 of a patch to fix it. Haven't tried it yet (tomorrow) - Have tried the patch and it works, checked with -mm-dump  and confirmed it works, see next post. but thought would throw up for initial peer review:

Hide contents

@PART[SEP_plug]:NEEDS[SurfaceExperimentPackage]:FINAL
{
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0319243, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

// Remove pre-KAS 1.3 version
	-MODULE[KASModulePort]{}
	-MODULE[KASModuleStrut]{}

// Update to current KAS version
	MODULE	{
		name = KASLinkTargetBase

// AbstractLinkPeer
		linkType = SEPCable
		attachNodeName = top
		allowCoupling = true
	}

MODULE {
		name = KASLinkSourceInteractive

// AbstractLinkPeer
		linkType = SEPCable
		attachNodeName = kasSrcAuto0
		attachNodeDef = 0.0, 0.1191, 0.0,  0.0, 1.0, 0.0,  0
		allowCoupling = true

// KASLinkSourceBase
		jointName = cableJoint
		linkRendererName = cableRenderer
		coupleMode = AlwaysCoupled

// KASLinkSourceInteractive
		sndPathPlug = KAS/Sounds/grappleAttachEva
		sndPathUnplug = KAS/Sounds/grappleDetach
		sndPathBroke = KAS/Sounds/broke
		startLinkMenu = Link
		breakLinkMenu = Unlink
	}

MODULE {
		name = KASRendererPipe

// KASRendererPipe
		rendererName = cableRenderer
		pipeDiameter = 0.04
		pipeTexturePath = SurfaceExperimentPackage/Parts/pipe
		pipeNormalsTexturePath = KAS/Textures/ProceduralSteelCableNRM
		pipeTextureSamplesPerMeter = 40
		sourceJoint {}
		targetJoint {}
	}

MODULE {
		name = KASJointCableBase

// AbstractJoint
		jointName = cableJoint
		anchorAtSource = 0, 0, 0
		anchorAtTarget = 0, 0, 0.0422
		minLinkLength = 0
		maxLinkLength = 5
		linkBreakForce = 100

// KASJointCableBase
		cableSpringForce = 1000
		cableSpringDamper = 1
	}
}

// Thank you to: Nistenf
	// Source idea from:
	// https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155382-16x-surface-experiment-pack-deployable-science-for-kiskas-v27-13jan19/&do=findComment&comment=3581947

// zer0Kerbal

Edited by zer0Kerbal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.