[1.6.X] Surface Experiment Pack - Deployable science for KIS/KAS! (v2.7 - 13/Jan/19)

CobaltWolf

On 6/5/2019 at 8:22 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

KAS is broken for 1.7.1 - @IgorZ and others working on it.

otherwise -

Reveal hidden contents

in this case - make sure you have module manager installed

then make a directory (if you haven't made one for yourself) under /gamedata/ name it something like 'zMyPatches'

in that directory make a text file - name it something that will help you remember what it is, something like 'SEP_plug_patch.cfg'

in that newly created file, copy and paste the MM patch I wrote

save and it should fix the issue.

find the patch. copy the

12 hours ago, Björn Kerman said:

I can't connect the Plugs! I can plug them in but I can't connect then even tho I use an engeneer and the Screwdriver is equipted. Please help me!

Thank's 

Björn Kerman

see above (in multiple senses)

9 hours ago, Friznit said:

You need to read the last few posts.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, jpinard said:

Is this mod included in the dOrbital Magic mod?

No, why would it be? They are two different mods by two different people. If you are considering this mod, please read the last few pages. The author decided to end support and the final published version has issues.

Edited by Tonka Crash

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

No, why would it be? They are two different mods by two different people. If you are considering this mod, please read the last few pages. The author decided to end support and the final published version has issues.

Oh I thought it was done by the same individual.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, CobaltWolf said:

So, I suppose there's no easy way to say this, so I just will... but SEP v2.7 (released this past January) will be the last update for SEP, for a number of reasons:

• I checked when I found out about the legacy KAS stuff breaking, I believe I've lost the source files for the parts in the several years since they were originally made, so they would have to get remade from scratch.
  • I already wanted to remake the parts for this mod from scratch before I added anything else, but the parts aren't that enjoyable for me to make.
  • In general, working on SEP quickly stopped being enjoyable following the initial release, because making and testing these parts is miserable and time consuming. (Testing a fix for SEP can take hours rather than minutes)
  • I actively make a much bigger (if less popular) mod, which takes up pretty much all my free time and focus.
  • Some things I had planned for SEP (an expansion on hand tools for enhanced soil and rock samples) seem outside the scope of possibility in the current implementation of KSP.
  • There are a number of breaking bugs, such as wonkiness with terrain colliders and some quirks of KIS/KAS, that have persisted through the lifetime of the mod and can't be fixed.
  • DMagic generally feels the same way as myself on these points. Albert, the author of the original MSEP, does not play KSP anymore and has been in contact with me only once in the last two years.

tl;dr SEP is not an enjoyable way for me to spend my free time.

I'm sorry for not being more active on this thread over the last ~three years. I understand the deafening silence, especially in the face of mod breaking bugs, especially when the bugs are the kind that are within my control, is not fair to our users. It took me a while to get up the nerve to say this, but the changes to KAS and the amount of effort that would be required to make the mod work properly with them, is more effort than I'm willing to put into keeping this mod around.

With all that said, I'm glad that people seem to generally have enjoyed using SEP over the years. Perhaps my longest standing issue with KSP has always been a lack of interesting stuff to do once you build rockets and get to your destination. Though it doesn't approach stuff like Pathfinder or USI, I'm glad to have done a small part with making the surface more interesting.

For the time being, if there is a combination of legacy patches that keep the mod working, I suggest you all keep using that - if there are community fixes, that's great, but me and DMagic would prefer that SEP does not get adopted. And, if you're sad about this mod passing into the ether, don't worry... :wink:

-CW

I wonder how some people managed to not notice the final winking emote and how it meant something. Either the fact that the mod was getting "pseudo-implemented" in the most recent DLC or the fact that he'll sometime in the future make a new iteration of it...

but hey, that's just a theory.

1 hour ago, Nuterrone said:

I wonder how some people managed to not notice the final winking emote and how it meant something. Either the fact that the mod was getting "pseudo-implemented" in the most recent DLC or the fact that he'll sometime in the future make a new iteration of it...

but hey, that's just a theory.

It was the former. I had already been talking to people about giving up the mod, and a day or two before the Squad announcement, someone told me "not to worry about it and keep an eye on the forums". I currently have no plans to remake SEP; I just don't have time with how much content I need to make for BDB.

On 6/30/2019 at 2:28 PM, CobaltWolf said:

It was the former. I had already been talking to people about giving up the mod, and a day or two before the Squad announcement, someone told me "not to worry about it and keep an eye on the forums". I currently have no plans to remake SEP; I just don't have time with how much content I need to make for BDB.

Oh well, somewhat unfortunate since I'm not interested in getting any DLC as of now. I guess patching will have to do until I change my mind.

Thanks for having worked on the mod!

Having played a bit with the DLC and not having this, what I'm going to miss isn't so much the experiments (which were fun, but fairly one-off for me) but the KIS parts: The lockers and cardboard box.  They're useful all over the place.

Hmm, it does occur to me that my request to not have it adopted was mostly in the interest of people not rushing to try and put work into it before the DLC was announced. If people want to try to patch it, please do go ahead. If people want to hold on to the assets from the mod (the lockers and box in particular) feel free to re-release them, even.

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hmm, it does occur to me that my request to not have it adopted was mostly in the interest of people not rushing to try and put work into it before the DLC was announced. If people want to try to patch it, please do go ahead. If people want to hold on to the assets from the mod (the lockers and box in particular) feel free to re-release them, even.

I am considering forking this and with permission putting my patch in and releasing that version (up to you how).

On 3/2/2019 at 9:23 AM, AlexSheFF said:

So, for everyone with no Link right click option on SEP power plugs I've found a solution: you need to bring back LEGACY folder inside KAS mod folder. It contains old KAS.dll which has some modules still needed for SEP power plugs to function. I think you may delete Parts folder inside LEGACY folder if you don't need deprecated KAS parts.

Enjoy! :) 

Can you give me any details on how to do this? Is there a place I can find the legacy folder?

I'm running Ksp 1.6.1 and none of the power plug links are visible. I get no hud when right clicking on the plugs. 

On 7/2/2019 at 12:14 PM, CobaltWolf said:

If people want to hold on to the assets from the mod (the lockers and box in particular) feel free to re-release them, even.

Any chance you could push the model/textures source files to the repo, if you still have them? ;)

6 hours ago, Chris Bolland said:

Can you give me any details on how to do this? Is there a place I can find the legacy folder?

I'm running Ksp 1.6.1 and none of the power plug links are visible. I get no hud when right clicking on the plugs. 

You don't need Legacy KAS to get SEP working on KAS 1.2. Just download the patch @zer0Kerbal came up with. 

KAS 1.2 is the latest version that works KSP 1.6.1. KAS 1.3 was a fix for changes in 1.7 and not backward compatible to earlier versions of KSP. KAS 1.4 was a fix for 1.7.1 and also not backward compatible to earlier releases.

3 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

You don't need Legacy KAS to get SEP working on KAS 1.2. Just download the patch @zer0Kerbal came up with. 

KAS 1.2 is the latest version that works KSP 1.6.1. KAS 1.3 was a fix for changes in 1.7 and not backward compatible to earlier versions of KSP. KAS 1.4 was a fix for 1.7.1 and also not backward compatible to earlier releases.

How I download it and in what folder do I put it?

EDIT

Oh I get it. I think I just edit the .cfg file for SEP_plug

Edit 2

That didn't work, hmm.

Edited by Chris Bolland

18 minutes ago, Chris Bolland said:

How I download it and in what folder do I put it?

Just save the file anywhere under GameData. Do you have Module Manager installed? It's required for so many mods most of us just assume you would have it installed. If it's not working, what symptoms are you seeing?  If you can't figure it out, post a log.

39 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Just save the file anywhere under GameData. Do you have Module Manager installed? It's required for so many mods most of us just assume you would have it installed. If it's not working, what symptoms are you seeing?  If you can't figure it out, post a log.

Thanks, that worked! Epic, now I can get MOUR SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

This is causing inconvenience for me as well. I have read the last pages, downloaded the patch, reloaded the game, but still not able to link the connectors. Any suggestions?

I have tried KAS 1.2 and 1.3, both with and without the patch, same result. Im using KSP 1.6.1

Logs: output_log  KSP.log

Edit: i can connect, but not move while in connecting mode... is it supposed to be like this? Its a pain when playing only in first person..

Edited by Fredde104

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, DStaal said:

This mod is not compatible with KAS versions above ~1.0, when the link structure changed, and won't be updated since the Breaking Ground expansion provides similar parts in stock.

so are you saying i can only get the breaking ground expansion to do fix this?

1 hour ago, Masteroftrees said:

so are you saying i can only get the breaking ground expansion to do fix this?

No they are saying this mod isn't supported anymore and won't work with newer versions of KAS.

The Breaking Ground expansion provides a set of parts that are more or less the same as these (but without some of the hassle), so there isn't much of a point updating and supporting this mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.