Flying Wing SSTO

1 hour ago, Raptor22 said:

I wasn't trying to come off as being rude. It may be the design of my craft. But, I have noticed the that the control surfaces move the wrong way. They pitch down when I pull back. Now, if they were canards, then that would be expected. However, these are elevators mounted at the back.

I love the idea of a low-part count, super-heavy SSTO. I was trying to be encouraging when I said "Hopefully this will work its way through the twists and turns of development hell to be a glorious final product."

Best of luck to you. However, I wish that it looked a bit more stock-alike. Your textures are very akin to those from mods back in the early days of KSP (the good old days, in my opinion). Somewhat similar to Bobcat's style, if you look at his old HOME mods.

Perhaps you can make your own, super-large engine, that way I don't have to attach 15 billion of them to the back of the craft.

You are right about the control surfaces, and I was very worried originally, tried all kinds of things. Then I read an article that talks about this specifically, the canard versus elevators and their position, and what is suppose to happen, but does not always happen. Apparently even stock control surfaces can end-up going the wrong way under certain conditions. It ended up saying that if it looks like your controls go the wrong way, do not worry. the physics engine will do the right thing irrespective of the graphics. I assume due to the fact that they have to take shortcuts in the simulation, strange things can happen. In my case because there really is no clear cut front, back or center, it makes it hard for the algorithm to figure out what to do graphically, and i thank my lucky star that the craft actually responds as it should regardless of the graphics.

I tend to get very annoyed at Squad my self, and I have to keep reminding my self that considering what they need to accomplish, namely make every person's dumb-ass design fly by figuring out center of mass, center of lift, control surfaces, RCS directions, Engine thrust, lift generation and such, maybe they are not doing so bad. My creation certainly pushes their envelope of what they intended.

However all said and done. There where some problems with my craft, and I still cannot guarantee they are all found and fixed, but there is improvement. The biggest problem was that the Reference craft was not using stock engines and a number of people would not have been able to load it and see what I intended. That did not help.

As for the engines, i did consider making my own, but as you see I overdo every thing and I decided that I would for now at-least wait and see. That said I do use Tweak Scale to scale up the engines I use, but that is each persons choice.

I did aim for more stock alike, and then got carried away.

I do like your style. It reminds me of the old days of KSP:

cYHQTp0l.jpg

Ah, and those were the days. Perhaps you can make a texture switch thing with firespitter, so we can switch between textures. 

I don't like how *almost* every squad update breaks the mods. This is how it goes:

Stock: bare bones, what beginners/puritans use

Mods/community: replayability and where the fun really begins. They should support the modders a bit more.

And, there's nothing wrong with overdoing an engine! MOAR POWER!

12 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

I do like your style. It reminds me of the old days of KSP:

Ah, and those were the days. Perhaps you can make a texture switch thing with firespitter, so we can switch between textures. 

I don't like how *almost* every squad update breaks the mods. This is how it goes:

Stock: bare bones, what beginners/puritans use

Mods/community: replayability and where the fun really begins. They should support the modders a bit more.

And, there's nothing wrong with overdoing an engine! MOAR POWER!

Yes the updates and the broken mods. So many great mods have fallen by the wayside because of update incompatibility. Especially the Great models of popular crafts from movies and such. One of the mods I am trying to get working again, is the Eagle from Space 1999. Was absolutely mad about that show. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 built by Clive Sinclair the guy that built the Alpha Base really working video communicators. If only we had KSP back then and computers that could handle it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have been neglecting this a bit. I had to replace my main disk drive and took the opportunity to do a clean install. Not every thing has been re-installed yet. It is difficult to get of the ground, but not impossible. One suggestion that was made, was not to place engines on the top row. For now that will help, I hopefully will get back to this soon again.

Edited by Ultrop

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.