Coyote Space Industries - Dboi's Dev Thread

dboi88

1 minute ago, nascarlaser1 said:

If I use just the USI LS mod without MKS, do you know if it will still work? I like USI LS but MKS gets too complicated for me.

Yes you would get all the USI LS functions and some of the modules would just have no use.

6 minutes ago, Urses said:

Have we to look for some Cheerleaders to motivate you?:wink:

(Since I know your English isn't great - he was making a pun.  The end of the project - that he's getting close.  And the back end of the ship.  Your comment added on top feels like an upskirt joke...)

Just now, DStaal said:

(Since I know your English isn't great - he was making a pun.  The end of the project - that he's getting close.  And the back end of the ship.  Your comment added on top feels like an upskirt joke...)

Ehm have i to say "no pun intended"? 

I would fire him up not Invite to a ... Oo

On 3/28/2017 at 5:41 PM, dboi88 said:

The COM of the rear truss and the main freighter body will be adjusted via cfg's to match the COM and center of thrust of the engine. Then the magic of USI-Tools comes in(a dependency). There is a function in there that transfers the weight of enabled 'leaf' parts (parts at the end of a the crafts part tree) into enabled central parts. So all the weight of the Kontainers, the weight of the interchangable modules and anything you put in the hanger bays using Allista's hanger mod will automatically be moved to the COM of the whole vessel. 

TLDR you'll never have to worry about balancing the COM & there will be a corresponding attach node on the end for attaching a booster that will be aligned along the COM :D 

Lyal69f.png
It is good thing that we don't need to worry about COM. How about the center of thrust?
And also, which sci-fi technology grade we are playing with? My plan is a hybrid booster engine with ability to sent the empty freighter to GKO, is it OK?
Can I get some dimension to start with?
Cheers.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

31 minutes ago, flywlyx said:
Lyal69f.png
It is good thing that we don't need to worry about COM. How about the center of thrust?
And also, which sci-fi technology grade we are playing with? My plan is a hybrid booster engine with ability to sent the empty freighter to GKO, is it OK?
Can I get some dimension to start with?
Cheers.

The centre of thrust will be aligned with the middle nozzle on the engine, the COM the same as marked below, with USI tools (and compatible parts) that won't change no matter the loads int he kontainers and hanger-bays. I'll put an attach node on the 3 engine nozzels as well.

I've not decided on the engine tech yet, it will be near future of some sort, the custom engine effects will be big glowing balls of plasma. 

Here are the dimensions, it might be bigger that you were expecting(it's was totally bigger than i thought), i'll be honest this is the first time i've measured it! It's surprisingly well proportioned .

quGcBFK.png

QyyFuwv.png

6 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

I've not decided on the engine tech yet, it will be near future of some sort, the custom engine effects will be big glowing balls of plasma.

They look like some sort of ion drive - but I think with the amount of mass they're going to be pushing around, I'd suggest either a nuclear drive (modified lightbulb design?  Though you'd need to account for waste heat then) or a fusion drive.

Edited by DStaal
I have no idea why it decided to post as I started typing.

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

They look like some sort of ion drive - but I think with the amount of mass they're going to be pushing around, I'd suggest either a nuclear drive (modified lightbulb design?  Though you'd need to account for waste heat then) or a fusion drive.

Don't you be bringing game balancing logic into this! :P 

Here's the progress on the command deck. It's two floors, the command bridge up top with the EVA hatch and front windows. Underneath is a small living area which will have a kitchen, bathroom, viewing deck and sleeping bunks. I'm thinking of pushing the IVA's back to a second release so i can get this thing out of the door and start play testing it. Thoughts?

D01MTSb.png

I'm also looking for help with the configs and balancing for mods i don't play with. So if any wants to see support for a mod they us and wants to offer help in writing configs please PM me.

24 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Here's the progress on the command deck. It's two floors, the command bridge up top with the EVA hatch and front windows. Underneath is a small living area which will have a kitchen, bathroom, viewing deck and sleeping bunks. I'm thinking of pushing the IVA's back to a second release so i can get this thing out of the door and start play testing it. Thoughts?

D01MTSb.png

I'm also looking for help with the configs and balancing for mods i don't play with. So if any wants to see support for a mod they us and wants to offer help in writing configs please PM me.

I'm so loving your progress dboi88, your almost there!  I have a question on the command deck, is it part of the ship or a separate part?  I only as because I think it would be cool to be able to attach more stuff or extend the ship in some way.

4 minutes ago, CarnageINC said:

I'm so loving your progress dboi88, your almost there!  I have a question on the command deck, is it part of the ship or a separate part?  I only as because I think it would be cool to be able to attach more stuff or extend the ship in some way.

Cheers. The command deck will be a separate part.

I'm not sure if you are speaking of compiling for private testing or a public release, but either way I think you can get by without IVAs and work on them after. They're not really critical to my own playstyle, and I think perhaps the majority of others.

On 30.3.2017 at 11:58 PM, dboi88 said:

Here are the dimensions, it might be bigger that you were expecting(it's was totally bigger than i thought), i'll be honest this is the first time i've measured it! It's surprisingly well proportioned .

Looks beautiful!

As Brainstorming option MassDriver or Orion from RD's Constelation may be a option too. 1st giant ISP 2nd TWR.

Or a modularengine like Nertea's NFP high TWR/low Isp or viceversa. 

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

3 hours ago, dboi88 said:

I'm thinking of pushing the IVA's back to a second release so i can get this thing out of the door and start play testing it. Thoughts?

Yeah... I've been chomping at the bit to try this in-game (once I can actually PLAY KSP again :P )...
And from what I've heard, IVAs are a PIA and take LOTS of time...

So yeah, I vote for releasing and saving IVAs for another release...

Ok once i get finished with the final art tidy up i'll put together a list of things that still need doing and plan out a release roadmap. It'll help me plan what's left to do and prioritize what i need to do to get the first release out.

Screenshot tax 

mM1Wi2S.png

Personally, I think the deciding factor on IVA's should be whether you want Kabattos to rave over your IVAs or mention that they're coming soon.  :wink:

On other mod support: Do you play with CLS?  If not I can help write configs for it.

3 hours ago, dboi88 said:

Ok once i get finished with the final art tidy up i'll put together a list of things that still need doing and plan out a release roadmap. It'll help me plan what's left to do and prioritize what i need to do to get the first release out.

Screenshot tax 

mM1Wi2S.png

WOW! Amazing work, stumbled across this gem of a thread like 10 minutes ago, I am in love with this! And as for getting the release out, I think you should do just that, and worry about the IVAs, later. :) But when/if you are ready for the IVAs, may I suggest pointing you to ASET Props  they compliment IVAs very well! :) Here are some previews of ASET Props below... 

kcbhw8E.png

jLCfqvC.png

A suggestion to ward off future problems: might it be better to have that (lovely) command pod in line with the CoM? I've had issues before with ships that have offset command pods, mainly w.r.t. Mechjeb, TCA, etc - when the command point is offset from CoM/CoT, such autopilots can end up 'chasing' maneuver node vectors, esp. near the end of burns.

@DStaal CLS will be one I'll need help with.

4 hours ago, Bluebottle said:

A suggestion to ward off future problems: might it be better to have that (lovely) command pod in line with the CoM? I've had issues before with ships that have offset command pods, mainly w.r.t. Mechjeb, TCA, etc - when the command point is offset from CoM/CoT, such autopilots can end up 'chasing' maneuver node vectors, esp. near the end of burns.

I'll ensure this isn't a problem. The weight of the command deck will be transferred to the freighter hull and I'll adjust the control from vector to line up with the COM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.