dboi88

Coyote Space Industries - Dboi's Dev Thread

Recommended Posts

I've been working on bump maps

WEJJDvO.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, dboi88 said:

I've been working on bump maps

Witchcraft!

You must share your secrets (my bump maps keep doing funny things and never quite look right). Are you building all your models and animations in Blender?

What do you use to make your textures?

Edited by steedcrugeon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, steedcrugeon said:

Witchcraft!

You must share your secrets (my bump maps keep doing funny things and never quite look right). Are you building all your models and animations in Blender?

What do you use to make your textures?

I don't really have any secrets to be honest, I've just drawn lots of boxes and shapes in different greys and everything i know was told to me by @CobaltWolf. Only thing i did was think about the highest part(the girders) and the lowest part(the panels behind the netting) and make sure that my steps in gradient were small enough for me to get as many 'levels' as i needed. Are you trying to create bump maps using some kind of filter? I've drawn mine from scratch as any attempt to filter out what i needed came with some SHOCKING results.

unknown.png

 

I've used blender for all my modelling and photoshop for all my texturing. Pretty much all my textures are from scratch so the only resource i could probably share with you is this http://www.textures.com/category/decals/52338

Put these images over your texture, chose multiply, or maybe hard light as the blend option and then take down to 1-5% opacity to add grunge/scratches ect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dboi88 said:

I've used blender for all my modelling and photoshop for all my texturing. Pretty much all my textures are from scratch so the only resource i could probably share with you is this http://www.textures.com/category/decals/52338

Put these images over your texture, chose multiply, or maybe hard light as the blend option and then take down to 1-5% opacity to add grunge/scratches ect

I would use overlay or soft light, but it's dependent on how bright the underlying texture is. Hard light does nasty stuff to textures. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I would use overlay or soft light, but it's dependent on how bright the underlying texture is. Hard light does nasty stuff to textures. :)

It has it's place, I mainly use it on a duplicated layer to sharpen details. My favorite has always been Vivid light but i've found no use for it in texturing work :( 

@steedcrugeon I'd generally recommend running through the options on each new layer to see what it gives you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The finishing touches on the freighter hull are coming along nicely. 

 

Who likes large cargo bays? 

lN1nSJ3.png

 

The EVA prep area

 

QCELGFS.png

rHGCUZB.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost finished the textures for the EVA prep area

eWltUjM.png

UO8oLvZ.png

O944dgA.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I'd share a little shot of what's been my playground for the last few days as i'll probably never open this file again now the interior texture is complete.

 VxEMFd1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dboi88 The details, the textures, the animation. I'm drooling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks awazing :o

I have 1 question though, the modules look great, but as I mostly use parts like these the way they are not intended to be, is the large block integration permanent or will you also in the future stand alone modules?
I use Planetary Bases parts actually for ships and your models would be perfect as crew cabins and life support sections :D

Can already imagine my next generation of interplanetary ships have segments, to give you an example of what I mean https://imgur.com/a/uRHfM & https://imgur.com/a/kAFJO:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kamuchi said:

This looks awazing :o

I have 1 question though, the modules look great, but as I mostly use parts like these the way they are not intended to be, is the large block integration permanent or will you also in the future stand alone modules?
I use Planetary Bases parts actually for ships and your models would be perfect as crew cabins and life support sections :D

Can already imagine my next generation of interplanetary ships have segments, to give you an example of what I mean https://imgur.com/a/uRHfM & https://imgur.com/a/kAFJO:P

Cheers! Those designs are sweeet.

I will be making a base mod at some point that would have the modules you want, but i'll see if i can release a bunch of parts early for you, though they'd just be the single levels separated from the back with no modifications that'd all be replaced in the base mod. You'll have to promise to post pictures of your awesome creations though :wink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Cheers! Those designs are sweeet.

I will be making a base mod at some point that would have the modules you want, but i'll see if i can release a bunch of parts early for you, though they'd just be the single levels separated from the back with no modifications that'd all be replaced in the base mod. You'll have to promise to post pictures of your awesome creations though :wink: 

@dboi88 Thanks and that would be awesome!  :o:cool:
Quite a few hours went into planning and design that ship as it was early career and only now slowly starting to unlock the cool stuff :D

Screenshots, I screenshot every thing, multiple times aswel :D
The parts will be put to the best use I will be able to come up with, it will rival my biggest creation to date and thanks to 64bit, autostrut, I can push it even further to make it a real freighter as GPP seriously pushes life support crafts! :confused:

:kiss:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've finally finished doing The UVUnwrap on the Freighter Hull and started texturing.

lh5bEQw.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might take me a while to finish this portion of the project, there is just sooo much surface to texture.

ZkKwXFJ.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More slow progress, i'm starting to see grey boxes in real life

cveva0Z.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks gorgeous.  Just don't burn yourself out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DStaal said:

It looks gorgeous.  Just don't burn yourself out.

Cheers, i'm heading that way in regards to this texture to be honest, but I've got this really strong tendency to never pick a project back up if i take a break so i'm just going to smash though it. Once this freighter exterior is complete i can start mixing it up again with further models(still got some small modules to do)/bump maps, then configs and balances(i can actually fire up KSP again :D) it'll reignite the passion, only a couple more evenings to get this section finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2017 at 6:56 PM, dboi88 said:

More slow progress, i'm starting to see grey boxes in real life

cveva0Z.png

Hey, you could just take the easy way out, and steal @Angel-125 's flight deck pieces/textures from his Heisenberg mod, and slap a big ol' flight deck on top... :P

Edited by Stone Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Hey, you could just take the easy way out, and steal Angel's flight deck pieces/textures from his Heisenberg mod, and slap a big ol' flight deck on top... :P

Beat me to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost finished the main hull.

kaZLLpt.png

HcGaXLV.pngg8A1T7s.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't this look amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MaxZhao said:

Doesn't this look amazing!

Cheers!

I'm finally starting to feel like things are coming together.

PmgW8X6.png

knh092f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2017 at 2:20 PM, Kamuchi said:

This looks awazing :o

I have 1 question though, the modules look great, but as I mostly use parts like these the way they are not intended to be, is the large block integration permanent or will you also in the future stand alone modules?
I use Planetary Bases parts actually for ships and your models would be perfect as crew cabins and life support sections :D

Can already imagine my next generation of interplanetary ships have segments, to give you an example of what I mean https://imgur.com/a/uRHfM & https://imgur.com/a/kAFJO:P

using these as reference points and cues for my ships =D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More progress shots

VCxX2gx.png

ouHQ70W.pngDyCdgQC.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now