[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Whatever I'm doing to the texture files is corrupting them in some way- they jump in size by about 3x and KSP can't find them, I tried just opening one of the existing textures and saving it again unedited and it immediately started producing module manager errors. Interestingly it also doesn't show an image preview for all the edited files when looking at the folder even though they're all shown as .dds files. I have literally no idea why this is happening, is there some kind of file compression in the existing texture files that I'm accidentally destroying?

I mean I'd ask what you're using to open and save dds files, because that seems to be your problem. You should also specifically ensure you're using DXT5 compression when exporting (DXT1 will destroy the alphas and DXT3 is not supported to Unity/KSP anymore).

how does one enable "Landertron"? on the capsule? the 1.25m Nereid i select soft landing in the VAB (i have landertron installed)  i select the appropriate sub "mesh" it shows up in the VAB, but it does nothing when trying to land. Does it have integrated engines or do i still have to add the ones that landertron adds?

Never mind...i am going blind! :D

Edited by dtoxic

Greetings! 

I'm trying to add reflections to NF Solar panels using TextureReplacer 4.1.3 shader and encountered a problem.

For most parts reflections works fine, but for several it works partially only.

1.jpgProblematic parts located in deploying-blanket folder, they are Halo, Ares, Gateway, Titan, Sirius, Orion, Starship (marked with red arrow). Their basic metalic parts have reflections but not the panels. Also interesting that Nautilus and Copernicus, located in same folder, are reflecting correctly (green arrow).

Here is code i'm using (example)

@PART[nfs-panel-deploying-blanket-arm-1]:HAS[!MODULE[TRReflection]]:NEEDS[TextureReplacer]
{
	%MODULE[TRReflection]
	{
%name = TRReflection
%shader = Reflective/Bumped Diffuse
%colour = 1.0 1.0 1.0
%interval = 1
%meshes =
	}
}

Could there be issues with models or textures? Don't know where else to dig since i'm noob in modding and most of your models have correct reflections :\

Thank you for attention!

Edited by Avelium
misprint

For Near Future Spacecraft specifically, the orbital engines use standard monopropellant (nothing from CRP). However some of those engines are inspired by real life bi-propellant engines and so the patch in extras give you the option to convert them to run LFO instead of Mono.

@fragtzack Antenna range is always the square root of the product of the sender antenna power and the receiver antenna power. In short: SQRT(senderPower x receiverPower). The result is in meters.

For two identical antennas talking to one another, the multiplication and the root cancel out and the result is simply that antenna type's power.
For two different antennas talking to one another, simply do the math as written.
For cases where one or both ends have multiple antennas, especially a mix of different ones, you first have to calculate each endpoint's antenna power correctly, which is a wee bit more complicated.

Also note that this is the maximum possible range, not the range at which you get 100% signal strength. That takes yet another different calculation.

More info here: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CommNet

The LV-95 orbital maneuvering engine feels over powered. Odd, because searching through this whole topic seems like LV-95 was deprecated in the past? Maybe something is wrong with my mods install?

Edited by fragtzack
Bad math on MLT-120

Is the NFX fuel tank scale slightly off? The larger ones which are about 1.25m seem slightly too large, especially when switched to the in-line stack variant, as the truss structure which extends to the top and bottom of the part is larger than 1.25m, so it doesn’t look attached when placed on another 1.25m part.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:06 PM, Rodger said:

Is the NFX fuel tank scale slightly off? The larger ones which are about 1.25m seem slightly too large, especially when switched to the in-line stack variant, as the truss structure which extends to the top and bottom of the part is larger than 1.25m, so it doesn’t look attached when placed on another 1.25m part.

Just so others know per our discussion, there is nothing wrong - the tanks are around 1.875m, not 1.25m

On 2/28/2020 at 11:14 AM, fragtzack said:

Is there any way to determine distance ranges on the antennae?

Used to using that other mod that auto calc's the range, but that other mod doesn't work with the antennae here.

Other mod - CommNet Antennae Info

It should still work. I'll look into that.

On 2/29/2020 at 10:52 AM, fragtzack said:

The LV-95 orbital maneuvering engine feels over powered. Odd, because searching through this whole topic seems like LV-95 was deprecated in the past? Maybe something is wrong with my mods install?

I'll check the math on it, but usually I get underpowered comments about these engines.

Unless you're using the LFO patch, which is totally OP.

On 2/27/2020 at 1:06 PM, Avelium said:

Greetings! 

I'm trying to add reflections to NF Solar panels using TextureReplacer 4.1.3 shader and encountered a problem.

For most parts reflections works fine, but for several it works partially only.

1.jpgProblematic parts located in deploying-blanket folder, they are Halo, Ares, Gateway, Titan, Sirius, Orion, Starship (marked with red arrow). Their basic metalic parts have reflections but not the panels. Also interesting that Nautilus and Copernicus, located in same folder, are reflecting correctly (green arrow).

Here is code i'm using (example)

@PART[nfs-panel-deploying-blanket-arm-1]:HAS[!MODULE[TRReflection]]:NEEDS[TextureReplacer]
{
	%MODULE[TRReflection]
	{
%name = TRReflection
%shader = Reflective/Bumped Diffuse
%colour = 1.0 1.0 1.0
%interval = 1
%meshes =
	}
}

Could there be issues with models or textures? Don't know where else to dig since i'm noob in modding and most of your models have correct reflections :\

Thank you for attention!

Maybe TR does not like skinned meshes - those are all in common here.

Fyi though, the panels already have reflections. You just want to increase the strength I guess?

Found a minor bug with the HECS compact bus in NFX- the labels for bare and silver variants of the endcap are the wrong way around. The descriptions are correct and they work the same way as for the other buses, but the text labels are wrong. No other parts are affected, I checked.

9zndyPo.png

In this screenshot the bare option is selected and the silver foil option is being hovered on, but the labels are the wrong way around.

I don't know if I'm using it wrong, but the game doesn't seem to recognize the relay antenna horn as a relay.  I do have the reflector dish mounted next to it, and it does seem to work as a direct antenna, but it isn't acting as a relay.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Would you allow your BE-4 engine model to be used for Realism Overhaul Engines? It is pretty much the best (and maybe only?) functioning BE-4 model for KSP. You will be credited in the mod.

Edited by capkirk

45 minutes ago, rebel-1 said:

Help please. Nuclear reactors have a specified service life. Is it the physical life span after which it will stop working, or the time that the stockpile of enriched uranium will last?

Current stockpile of nuclear fuel.

Do note that you actually need an engineer (1 star or better to move fresh fuel in, 3 stars or better to move spent fuel out - both done via part menu, not the usual In/Out actions) to refuel a reactor.

33 minutes ago, NHunter said:

Current stockpile of nuclear fuel.

Do note that you actually need an engineer (1 star or better to move fresh fuel in, 3 stars or better to move spent fuel out - both done via part menu, not the usual In/Out actions) to refuel a reactor.

Thank you, I understand!

On 3/10/2020 at 11:03 AM, Nertea said:

Maybe TR does not like skinned meshes - those are all in common here.

Fyi though, the panels already have reflections. You just want to increase the strength I guess?

Thank you for answering!

Interesting. Are wheels a skinned meshes too? Because vanilla wheels can have reflections for example.

I guess by default panels reflect skyboxes only, while with Texture Replacer you get a render of enviroment, though it would be nice to know if there is a way to improve reflcetions without TR :)

1.jpg

Thank you for attention!

Edited by Avelium

On 3/17/2020 at 9:36 PM, Avelium said:

Thank you for answering!

Interesting. Are wheels a skinned meshes too? Because vanilla wheels can have reflections for example.

I guess by default panels reflect skyboxes only, while with Texture Replacer you get a render of enviroment, though it would be nice to know if there is a way to improve reflcetions without TR :)

1.jpg

Thank you for attention!

Wheels are not skinned meshes typically, the stock game doesn't use them much. I had a quick look at TR's source and yes, it will not work on skinned meshes as it makes assumptions that will not work on them. Could be a feature request to the developer. 

The reason you are seeing that difference is likely because the panels are 75% reflective by default, I expect your TR replacement is 100% or something. The upcoming release of B9PS should allow you to modify material values in a switcher, which should in turn allow you to change this on my panels without TR. 

On 3/12/2020 at 10:06 PM, capkirk said:

Would you allow your BE-4 engine model to be used for Realism Overhaul Engines? It is pretty much the best (and maybe only?) functioning BE-4 model for KSP. You will be credited in the mod.

I typically don't love copies of my models floating around that aren't under my control. I'd suggest patching?

Just wan to make sure I'm not the only one, is anyone else having some issues with the IVA in the mk4-1 pod? Like everything just seems really off? I'm running the latest version in 1.8.1 and the appropriate version in 1.5.1 in different builds and they both have this issue. In my old 1.4.5 build, however, it looked fine.

Also that IVA revamp from @zakkpaz looks sick.

14 hours ago, Nertea said:

The reason you are seeing that difference is likely because the panels are 75% reflective by default, I expect your TR replacement is 100% or something. The upcoming release of B9PS should allow you to modify material values in a switcher, which should in turn allow you to change this on my panels without TR.

Thank you for the info and thank you for your wonderful mods! I'll keep an eye for B9! :)

6 hours ago, stefan43 said:

hey Nertea have you had any thoughts on redoing the gemini pod ksp i think its sizing is a bit off 

Firstly the sizing for the making history gemini module is very off. Secondly this isn't the right thread for this. Try @Nertea's restock thread. Also if that doesn't come through, (restock doesn't resize parts), try @CobaltWolf's Bluedog Design Bureau.