[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

17 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

For the more power-hungry drives you need to use nuclear reactors. It doesn't have to be the Near Future ones, but I mean you already have them so you might as well.

16 hours ago, DStaal said:

Also, for power-hungry applications you may want to look at capacitors from NFE.  A couple of those can save you quite a bit of generator/solar capacity - assuming you plan out what you need correctly.

boys/girls I am strugglinnnggg

Work is proceeding quite well on NFLV. We are down to...10 parts, and half of those are half done. 

I expect to start deploying some test versions in my dev thread in the next few days. Here are a few random parts recently completed:

Revised 5m service bay:

Capture.png

Revised 5m skeletal adapter

Capture.png

RD704 and RD701 sustainer engines 

Capture.png

Edited by Nertea

Can you make the octagonal docking port from near future construction have a looser range to dock? If someone wants to have it at an exact 90.00° connection they can just get a mod like dock rotate, because I got tired of having to dock together to truss structures for half an hour

4 hours ago, Mlgisawsome02 said:

Can you make the octagonal docking port from near future construction have a looser range to dock? If someone wants to have it at an exact 90.00° connection they can just get a mod like dock rotate, because I got tired of having to dock together to truss structures for half an hour

Why don't you have a shot at tuning an acceptable number and report back to me what it should be?

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

Revised 5m service bay:

Hi Nertea,

I really love this 5m bay bay with the kerbal sized entrance.  Thank you [again] for you're awesome work!

A question on functionality - this may be beyond scope, but would it be possible to have Kerbals be able to remove their helmets in this bay, in a vacuum if the door is closed? 

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit

7 hours ago, theJesuit said:

A question on functionality - this may be beyond scope, but would it be possible to have Kerbals be able to remove their helmets in this bay, in a vacuum if the door is closed? 

I can try to remember how to do it but it's going to be low priority.

Some screenshots from tonight's testing and bugfixing, showing off a lot of those 5m parts and various plume work. 

screenshot124.png?width=2380&height=1339

screenshot125.png?width=2380&height=1339

screenshot129.png?width=2380&height=1339

screenshot116.png

screenshot106.png?width=2380&height=1339

screenshot109.png?width=2380&height=1339

Spoiler
16 hours ago, Nertea said:

Work is proceeding quite well on NFLV. We are down to...10 parts, and half of those are half done. 

I expect to start deploying some test versions in my dev thread in the next few days. Here are a few random parts recently completed:

Revised 5m service bay:

Capture.png

Revised 5m skeletal adapter

Capture.png

RD704 and RD701 sustainer engines 

Capture.png

Sweeeet; once i get my main rig back up i won't have to use cargo bays to roll my own "Service Bays" for my wannabe Starship. Any plans for a 7.5M bay?

@Nertea - Is there a particular life support mod you'd recommend for using with NFT? TAC-LS? Snacks? I know they're all "Compatible", other than Kerbalism's known issues with NFE. Mostly this question is because I have several constellation games (USI, WBI, Kerbalism), and I'm planning to make the next one just NFT and ReStock with a parts failure mod, an LS mod, and the "normal" aviation stuff and visual mods. Using YOUR stuff is easy, and a given - picking the other mods sometimes takes more time than building rockets.

Also, I don't recall if I or anyone asked you this before, but would you mind sharing what mod stack you enjoy running when you actually get to play KSP?

17 hours ago, Nertea said:

Why don't you have a shot at tuning an acceptable number and report back to me what it should be?

I have another idea for that port and linear one, since it isn't compatible with other ports and should be dock in just a few angles anyway. It might better to have some sort of guiding petals around the edges to make it easier to dock in exact angle something like in bdb's MOL docking port

9 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Sweeeet; once i get my main rig back up i won't have to use cargo bays to roll my own "Service Bays" for my wannabe Starship. Any plans for a 7.5M bay?

Yes... I made one a couple weeks ago...

Capture.PNG?width=1448&height=1340

Capture.PNG

8 hours ago, Tabris said:

@Nertea,

question regarding Near Future Construction.

is there a reason why there isn't a 3.75 Truss "Family"?

Mostly having a family and a job.

3 hours ago, panarchist said:

@Nertea - Is there a particular life support mod you'd recommend for using with NFT? TAC-LS? Snacks? I know they're all "Compatible", other than Kerbalism's known issues with NFE. Mostly this question is because I have several constellation games (USI, WBI, Kerbalism), and I'm planning to make the next one just NFT and ReStock with a parts failure mod, an LS mod, and the "normal" aviation stuff and visual mods. Using YOUR stuff is easy, and a given - picking the other mods sometimes takes more time than building rockets.

Also, I don't recall if I or anyone asked you this before, but would you mind sharing what mod stack you enjoy running when you actually get to play KSP?

I don't have any preference... I personally don't play with LS, so I haven't picked one. If I was to decide to do so, I would probably pick one.

Also lol no i barely play the game. I guess when I do I put in KRE for more legs, some visual mods as well, and a few small QoL ones. 

38 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

What?! No NF mods? 

Well I assumed the question was ignoring those, because of course you should have all of them. Except MarkIV, I leave that out a lot because I prefer rockets. 

3 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

@panarchist Seeing as you already have USI mods...  USI Life Support?   It's what I tend to use when I play with LS.

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/USI-LS/releases

I use USI-LS for the USI copy of the game - which I almost never play anymore. That copy also is not running NFT mods - but I have 3-4 other copies of the game which are, running Kerbalism, WBI/Snacks, NFT/Airplane+/TAC-LS either with stock Kerbin or with JNSQ. Most of them have Kerbal Konstructs, EVE, Scatterer, Kerbinside or JNSQ's KK bases, and sometimes some other mods. That's when I actually play KSP instead of Train Simulator or X-Plane or DCS.

Or play anything at all - I used to have a 90 minute commute, an hour by train, each way, to game. Now with COVID-19, I am working from home and have no commute, so that time now is spent with the wife and kids, and I mostly game after they're in bed and the wife is playing Animal Crossing.

To the point, though, I really like Kerbalism but not the overhead, and it doesn't play nice with NFE and NF's background processing. USI doesn't model LS the way I like, and takes a spreadsheet to do part balancing. Snacks is a little more Kerbal-y than I want most of the time. Anyway, I'll take that discussion to another thread. The main point is that I'm running several distinct games at any given time, and all but one have NFT mods installed, and ReStock. Honestly, that mod gave the stock game life for me again, and building stations with NFE, NFC, SSPR and ReStock is way too much fun now. Gives me something to do when my boys aren't trying to cover every square inch of the living room with Lego pieces.

Edited by panarchist

USI-LS is kind of simple really, it even has a UI to show how long the ship will last with the supplies it has on board. For stations and far away missions I just try to get hydroponics working as soon as possible and send up just fertilizer for resupply missions.

I've used TAC in the past, but it had some issues with warp (I think it got fixed though) and I switched to USI as it has fewer resources (supplies, mulch, fertilizer).

But to keep on-topic

NF FTW!!!!!  :sticktongue:

19 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

USI-LS is kind of simple really, it even has a UI to show how long the ship will last with the supplies it has on board.

Very simple to use. A real pain if you're trying to properly balance a part when writing a MM patch for USI-LS support in your mod. ;-) (last comment on that, sorry for the minor derail)

To stay on-topic, between ReStock and Near Future Electrical and SSPR, I was able to put this up in orbit yesterday:

eDt6h2S.png

hFo9Sse.png

and honestly, that's why I love this pack so much - the artwork consistency has been phenomenal, and the pack has progressed so much in the last few years over what it started as. Everything really hangs together, and it's so fun to work with. I'm tempted to just remove all the stock parts entirely and build just off this constellation of mods.

8 minutes ago, panarchist said:

Very simple to use. A real pain if you're trying to properly balance a part when writing a MM patch for USI-LS support in your mod. ;-) (last comment on that, sorry for the minor derail)

(For those interested: The guidance spreadsheet given in the USI-LS docs is basically backwards from how you want it when adding support to a mod - you enter values and you get part mass.  When trying to add support to a mod you typically have a part already with a set mass - that can't change without unbalancing the parts and existing saves - and want possible values.  I spent some time trying to reverse the logic at one point, but didn't get very far.)

On 4/7/2020 at 8:33 AM, panarchist said:

I've tried most of those. TAC-LS worked pretty good the last time I tried it, except it requires a massive, massive amount of power to get any production out of the big greenhouses. So much so that I think it is in error.

Edited by mikegarrison

desire to make stupidly large spacecraft intensifies

On 4/7/2020 at 1:16 PM, Nertea said:

Well I assumed the question was ignoring those, because of course you should have all of them. Except MarkIV, I leave that out a lot because I prefer rockets. 

That's ok, I'll keep building shuttles with the Mark IV parts.

zJEEoy8.png