[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

14 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I don't believe this is my mod.

I think it's the little patch I wrote that lets people change thrust, Isp, and power usage of NF electric engines.

Which has me scratching my head a bit, because... well... it's been included by default in all NF Propulsion installs for a long, long time now. I'm not even sure it was ever not included. Maybe this CKAN file already has preconfigured numbers in it? Not sure.

In either case, I don't think marking it compatible with the latest KSP versions is a good idea. I mean, it should strictly speaking work... it's just a MM patch after all. But the NetKAN file has also been frozen a long time ago. Frozen means that the download is still provided, but only in the form it was in at that time. I don't know where that config sources the file from, but even if it sources it from an official NF Propulsion download, it will be using a version that's years out of date. Any updates to the patch file since then - for example the pull request I made earier this year, which is still open, wink wink, nudge nudge - would be ignored, and instead the user would receive an outdated file.

@Vas - are you sure that, when downloading the latest NF Propulsion version via CKAN, you do not already have that file? Should be located in .../GameData/NearFuturePropulsion/Patches. It's been a while since I worked with CKAN, but last I checked, unless you manually and explicitly exclude a file in the config, the client should install everything.

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

I don't believe this is my mod.

Ah, I thought it was cause of it showing this thread and you as the author. :P

40 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

I think it's the little patch I wrote that lets people change thrust, Isp, and power usage of NF electric engines.

Which has me scratching my head a bit, because... well... it's been included by default in all NF Propulsion installs for a long, long time now.

Ah, I'll check then. I just installed everything that had "near future" in the title with "Nertea" as the author when I was on CKAN. Since all of them link to this thread and not a specific detailed thread I didn't bother reading anything on them.

@rib3irojr - Assuming that you faithfully followed the translation guide, the best way would be to fork the repository on Github, upload the language file to the localization subdirectory in your fork, and then make a pull request on the source repository. If you know your way around GitHub, you can be done in three minutes tops.

But if you have absolutely no clue about anything I just said, I suppose you could make the file available as a public download somewhere. Since it's only a self-contained text file, it really only needs someone to stick it into the right directiory.

On 6/18/2020 at 6:53 PM, Nertea said:

I am rewriting the reactor code for SystemHeat now and I am now wondering - does anyone actually use the reactor UI? If so, why? 

I kinda want to get rid of it.

I use it.  It's helpful for managing reactors on larger craft ( stations ) with multiple reactors.

Also, I use it for adjusting reactors on some of my long lived probes to dial-up / dial-down reactor performance to improve lifespan of the probe when spending long years in transit between outer planets in OPM / JNSQ.

If it was incorporated into the Electrical/Heat panel, that would be a fine place for it, but IMO, it provides more detailed info than the PAWs.

-C

28 minutes ago, coredumpster said:

I use it.  It's helpful for managing reactors on larger craft ( stations ) with multiple reactors.

Also, I use it for adjusting reactors on some of my long lived probes to dial-up / dial-down reactor performance to improve lifespan of the probe when spending long years in transit between outer planets in OPM / JNSQ.

If it was incorporated into the Electrical/Heat panel, that would be a fine place for it, but IMO, it provides more detailed info than the PAWs.

-C

Same use case, particularly when I have reactors hidden away inside structural tubing and accessing them via PAW is tricky.  Integration into the system management panel would definitely be a step forward though.

Alright, I will try not to get rid of it. 

14 hours ago, rib3irojr said:

Sorry sorry. I didn't read the translation.

I tried to make the steps you told, so let me know if you received the translation file. I have future plans to translate your other mods too!

Got some, thank you !

Anyone else have a bug where the reactors from NFE have very high levels of stored electric charge (~10,000 times as much as it should)? Every reactor used for an extended period of time seems to get this bug. I think its linked to time warping but I am unsure. 

EDIT: Actually the new amount of EC stored is much higher than 10,000 times more. The electric charge resouce bar number overflows above and below the bar itself

Edited by Pogosi

I just recently got back into KSP after quite some time away, and have recently unlocked the big Near Future command pods, and I love them so far. However, I feel as if I might be missing something regarding the Amalthea. In "lander" configuration it appears to have the outer ring of a heat shield, but there is no heat shield part that completes it. You can stick the stock 3.75 shield on there, but it looks kinda goofy. Am I missing a part, or are you just meant to throw the stock shield on there anyway?

4 hours ago, Tokamak said:

I just recently got back into KSP after quite some time away, and have recently unlocked the big Near Future command pods, and I love them so far. However, I feel as if I might be missing something regarding the Amalthea. In "lander" configuration it appears to have the outer ring of a heat shield, but there is no heat shield part that completes it. You can stick the stock 3.75 shield on there, but it looks kinda goofy. Am I missing a part, or are you just meant to throw the stock shield on there anyway?

You're intended to use it with ReStock, which adds a black variant to the stock 3.75 shield

23 hours ago, Pogosi said:

Anyone else have a bug where the reactors from NFE have very high levels of stored electric charge (~10,000 times as much as it should)? Every reactor used for an extended period of time seems to get this bug. I think its linked to time warping but I am unsure. 

EDIT: Actually the new amount of EC stored is much higher than 10,000 times more. The electric charge resouce bar number overflows above and below the bar itself

This is intended to happen during timewarp, if it doesn't go back down there is an issue. I'll need a lot more information because I have to be able to reproduce it on my end.

Mods, logs, craft, reproduction steps.

17 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

You're intended to use it with ReStock, which adds a black variant to the stock 3.75 shield

You can use it with the stock shield, but you will need to use the offset tool a bit.

Managed to replicate multiple times on launchpad in new save, can add mods and logs if needed: 

Mk1-3 command pod

2x Thermal Control System (Medium)

MX-2S 'Prometheus' Fission Reactor

1. Start time warp (not physical)

2. Quicksave while warping

3. Load Quicksave

Stored EC at 1x is the same as it was while warping. 

Edited by Pogosi

On 6/29/2020 at 2:31 AM, Pogosi said:

Managed to replicate multiple times on launchpad in new save, can add mods and logs if needed: 

Mk1-3 command pod

2x Thermal Control System (Medium)

MX-2S 'Prometheus' Fission Reactor

1. Start time warp (not physical)

2. Quicksave while warping

3. Load Quicksave

Stored EC at 1x is the same as it was while warping. 

I was not able to reproduce this! Here's what I did (I had to change some steps, because your setup doesn't actually work - 2 medium TCS (200kW each) is not enough to cool 1x MX-2S reactor (3500 kW) and will cause nigh-instant overheat. It's a little weird that you were able to do this in the first place, maybe that's part of the problem):

1. Built the following vessel

• 1x Mk1-3 Command pod
  • 4x Medium TCS
  • 1x MX-1 GARNET Fission Reactor

2. Launched to pad, started reactor, extended radiators.

• Base vessel EC is 350, 200 from reactor, 150 from command pod

3. Engaged timewarp to max, observed ETC kicking in:

• Vessel EC is 1750, 200 from reactor, command pod has been expanded to 1550.

4. Quicksaved, then quickloaded immediately (without stopping timewarp)

• Vessel EC is 350, 200 from reactor, 150 from command pod

This all seems fine. So, I'm going to need more information. If you could try that sequence with those parts, it would be great

Additionally:

• Before doing this, turn on the DBS debug (GameData/DynamicBatteryStorage/DynamicBatteryStorageSettings.cfg, change DebugMode to true)
  • Open the NF Systems Manager window and screencap it when at max timewarp (you should see a section called Dynamic Battery Adjustment)
  • Provide your log of this event
  • Provide your ModuleManager cache
  • Provide a modlist. 

12 hours ago, Nertea said:

I was not able to reproduce this! Here's what I did (I had to change some steps, because your setup doesn't actually work - 2 medium TCS (200kW each) is not enough to cool 1x MX-2S reactor (3500 kW) and will cause nigh-instant overheat. It's a little weird that you were able to do this in the first place, maybe that's part of the problem):

1. Built the following vessel

• 1x Mk1-3 Command pod
  • 4x Medium TCS
  • 1x MX-1 GARNET Fission Reactor

2. Launched to pad, started reactor, extended radiators.

• Base vessel EC is 350, 200 from reactor, 150 from command pod

3. Engaged timewarp to max, observed ETC kicking in:

• Vessel EC is 1750, 200 from reactor, command pod has been expanded to 1550.

4. Quicksaved, then quickloaded immediately (without stopping timewarp)

• Vessel EC is 350, 200 from reactor, 150 from command pod

This all seems fine. So, I'm going to need more information. If you could try that sequence with those parts, it would be great

Additionally:

• Before doing this, turn on the DBS debug (GameData/DynamicBatteryStorage/DynamicBatteryStorageSettings.cfg, change DebugMode to true)
  • Open the NF Systems Manager window and screencap it when at max timewarp (you should see a section called Dynamic Battery Adjustment)
  • Provide your log of this event
  • Provide your ModuleManager cache
  • Provide a modlist. 

I've PM'd you

2 hours ago, Nicky21 said:

I don't get teh reflector based antenas. Are they better or worse than the standard antenas?  On paper the numbers look worse.

Are there any tricks to make them outperform the stock antenas?

They're not "better", per se, but they fill in power gaps that are missing in stock. Roughly speaking, stock ranges go from Kerbin's SOI, to Duna's, to Jool's. There's not much in between. Also, the long range stock dishes (especially the relays) take up a lot more space.

With KSP 1.10 release, the code for how Payload Fairings work got changed. This KSP 1.10 change breaks the 5.0 and 7.5 Payload Fairings in these mods. In particular, while in the VAB, no longer able to "Build Fairing" for those 2 parts.

Edited by fragtzack

Hey nertea, is there a patch fore the thrusters that use argon/lithium just to use Xenon? i have a really good design but the thrust is too small for the ion engines and i wanna use the colossus engine, it just lookes better

Just so it's clear:

Use 1.9.x mod in 1.10.x, no support. 

On 7/5/2020 at 6:44 PM, Souptime said:

Hey nertea, is there a patch fore the thrusters that use argon/lithium just to use Xenon? i have a really good design but the thrust is too small for the ion engines and i wanna use the colossus engine, it just lookes better

Nope. You can probably make one by looking at the one that works on the Hall effect thrusters.

On 7/5/2020 at 3:32 PM, fragtzack said:

With KSP 1.10 release, the code for how Payload Fairings work got changed. This KSP 1.10 change breaks the 5.0 and 7.5 Payload Fairings in these mods. In particular, while in the VAB, no longer able to "Build Fairing" for those 2 parts.

Yep, I'm aware. Not doing updates until 1.10.1 because of this (and others)

On 7/4/2020 at 1:11 PM, Nicky21 said:

I don't get teh reflector based antenas. Are they better or worse than the standard antenas?  On paper the numbers look worse.

Are there any tricks to make them outperform the stock antenas?

The very largest ones are better for sure. The problem is that the stock antennae are pretty superpowered...