[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Does Near Future Exploration work with CommNet Constellation yet? I tried using it a while ago but noticed I wouldn't have a connection.

I kept getting "object reference not set to an instance of an object" when I would try editing the frequency of an antenna.

I also would get this weird error with the stock antenna not showing up:

CvOeWM3.png

Edited by NateDaBeast

So following the discussion regarding antenna balance from earlier, @Nertea would it be too much of a bother to quickly slap together a list of all the NFX and stock antennas and what you think their respective intended roles should be? I want to dump this into a spreadsheet along with all the existing part parameters and take a stab at reworking them (and probably send a copy of this to @Streetwind if he doesn't already have a spreadsheet of his own). On the subject, let me also ask another more hypothetical question. If you did completely rewrite the antenna logic to be more customizable and a bit more advanced, what would that rewrite look like from the player end?

Quick edits:

Some immediate thoughts on that hypothetical advanced antenna rework came to mind. I'm too busy to attempt it myself right now but maybe when things settle down in several weeks time I might look into this as a project.

• persistent power consumption - gotta consume energy to maintain that connection, which gives probes another thing to think about. Probably would want this to have a hibernation logic like probe cores too for power management options.
  • ditch the instantaneous Mit transmission - giving a duration over which the energy is consumed (no more chunking of Ec) opens some more tuning parameters with transmission rates hopefully (would have to explore this theory more).
Edited by Captain Sierra
ideas

On 7/25/2020 at 11:13 PM, NateDaBeast said:

Does Near Future Exploration work with CommNet Constellation yet? I tried using it a while ago but noticed I wouldn't have a connection.

I kept getting "object reference not set to an instance of an object" when I would try editing the frequency of an antenna.

This seems to be a CommNet Constelation issue. Are you using the CNC's newest version?

13 minutes ago, SpaceGreer said:

Hi everyone!

@Nertea, are there plans to 'fix'/ update the fairings for NFLaunchers for 1.10?

Thanks!

R

I'm fairly certain Nertea intends to wait for 1.10.1, which should include changes to the way fairings work to make them more mod friendly.

Edit: I didn't realize it, but 1.10.1 is out. A fix should be coming eventually, but we'll need to sit tight for a while longer. Nertea has a lot of mods to support and a real life.

Edited by TBenz

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Yes it just came out. This does not mean 1.9.x mods work in 1.10.x. It means that I will look at and update my mods in an appropriate order in an appropriate time frame. 

Ofcourse, I meant no pressure. Thanks for your time on all of this. R

1 minute ago, SkiRich said:

@Nertea I'm wondering if Near Future Aeronautics is compatible with 1.9.1?  It says its 1.6.1 and you havent updated due to code loss, but that has been a while.

NFA itself hasn't been updated for a while. However, as it's a parts pack, it probably works fine in 1.9.1. It does come bundled with some dependencies though, which are out of date. You will need to install updated versions of those. Check NFA's files to see what mods are bundled, B9 part switch is likely there (but you probably have an up to date version of B9ps from another mod) and I think there is some hover controller functionality that may come from a WBI dll.

On 7/28/2020 at 5:05 AM, Streetwind said:

Essentially, you're proposig to reinvent RemoteTech. Why not write a RemoteTech support patch instead?

The answer to that is that I'm not planning on fully reinventing RemoteTech, only about 60% reinvent it. RemoteTech goes too far down the realism rabbit-hole for my liking. Things like signal delay, orientation, and command center capability are expressly beyond my interests. The other reason is that this would be easily convertible into a full-on dependency for NFX if Nertea wants to go down that road (I imagine having a major plugin component is a lot less unattractive if he's not in charge of building it). It's also potentially a fun challenge (with a non-zero risk of becoming an infuriating challenge) that writing a compat piece just doesn't give.

As for RemoteTech support, latest version already supports NFX, though if/how it handles reflectors is unclear.

Alright. Then let's brainstorm a bit, if this isn't too off-topic for this thread.

Each antenna has two power draws, one active, one passive. The passive draw is just for being online and maintaining (or attempting to find) a link back home. (Optional: when the probe core is put in hibernation, this power draw is reduced/turned off as well.) The active power draw is when you press send on research data, and it is much higher. It replaces the current 'x Ec per chunk of data' model.

Instead of having a fixed data transmission rate, have a formula that scales transmission speed with signal quality. If you're at 10% quality, you have to transmit ten times as long as when you're at 100% quality. Since the antenna uses its active power draw while transmitting, no matter the data rate, transmitting with poor signal quality will require more total energy. (This is an accurate representation of real-life data transmission.) But bringing a more powerful transmitter would also come with increased power requirements of its own, if mitigated somewhat by more efficient tech and more ample dish sizes. Players will have to design around that by either providing enough energy storage, or enough power generation, or perhaps a reflector - which would boost signal quality without costing extra power.

You'll have to think about whether you want to hop onto the stock signal quality calculation, because it doesn't really model signal attenuation for its own sake. Rather, it exists to enable the ability to provide a science bonus for transmitting with good signal quality. As a result, there is a fairly sizeable area for which the formula just outputs a flat 100%. Not sure if you'd rather like something that has a smaller 'perfect zone'.

19 hours ago, BarnabeLEPD said:

Hi everyone, I’ve dropped the « NFLVMethalox » extra in my Gamedata folder, and yet it doesn’t change anything. 

I’m playing in ksp version 1.8.1 with CryoTanks installed. 

Does anyone know what I’m missing ?

the methalox engines from NFLV are deprecated

Solar Electric Tug for shipping stuff between kerbin and mun (JNSQ)

Cargo needs to rondevous with tug on high elcliptical orbit first otherwise it will take to long for TMI.

g4XDOiW.jpg

2KBaI7T.jpg

I have some request can you make NFT power/heat window and reactor control window rescaleable? they are unuseable on 4k screen

Edited by derega16

On 7/31/2020 at 7:19 AM, derega16 said:

Solar Electric Tug for shipping stuff between kerbin and mun (JNSQ)

Cargo needs to rondevous with tug on high elcliptical orbit first otherwise it will take to long for TMI.

I have some request can you make NFT power/heat window and reactor control window rescaleable? they are unuseable on 4k screen

Nice ship! Unfortunately the way the windows have been coded is very unfriendly to rescaling so I'm not planning on doing that anytime soon

Working towards updates. More coming in the next few days. 

NF Propulsion 1.2.2

• Marked for KSP 1.10
  • Updated ModuleManager to 4.1.4
  • Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.17.0
  • Improvements to the thrust tweaking EP patch (Streetwind)

NF Solar 1.2.3

• Marked for KSP 1.1.0
  • Added Portugese localization (Rib3iroJr)

NF Electrical 1.1.3

• KSP 1.10
  • Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 2.1.7
  • Updated CRP to 1.3.0 (Really this time)

NF Construction 1.2.3

• KSP 1.10.x
  • Updated MM to 4.1.4

NF Launch Vehicles 2.0.3

• KSP 1.10.1+. DOESN'T WORK IN 1.10.0
  • Updated DeployableEngines to 1.2.2
  • Fixed fairings not working in KSP 1.10.1
  • Propagated some improvements to the Restock fairing textures to this mod
  • Decreased mass penalty for hollow adapters

NF Spacecraft 1.0.9

• KSP 1.10.x
  • Updated NearFutureProps to 0.6.3
  • Adjusted a description to indicate that the Hummingbird does not get a podded variant (LouisB3)
  • Various heatshield tweaks and tunings, including a patch for JNSQ reentries (Rodger)
  • Improved Snacks! support (Michael Paul)
  • Improved KerbalHealth support (LouisB3)

NF Aeronautics 2.0.0

• KSP 1.10.x
  • Updated bundled ModuleManager to 4.1.4
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.17.0
  • Updated bundled KerbalActuators to 1.8.3
  • Updated bundled DeployableEngines to 1.2.2
  • Rebuilt all part files
  • Added normal maps to the Fireflash and Project Eeloo engines
  • Recompressed all textures with better compressor
  • Fixed fore/reverse thrust on propeller engines

NF Exploration 1.0.9

• KSP 1.10+
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.17.0
  • Updated bundled MM to 4.1.4

Please be gentle with NFA. I've tried to replicate the old part setups as closely as possible, but there may be a few iterations needed before all is smoothed out. I've incremented the major version to help indicate this. Technically it should be compatible with old versions, but hard to fully qualify that. 

I tried downloading the latest NFLV on CKAN but Spacedock seems to be returning a 404 on this version. Getting the release through Github seems to work fine - but before I install, was there a reason 2.0.3 is missing from Spacedock? Was the version pulled?

Also, quick note to say I love this mod, thank you for all you do for the community!

Edited by Zelda

Just now, Nertea said:

Spacedock is having problems. Not my problem. That's why there are alternate links

Cool, thanks for the quick reply! Spacedock itself was loading fine so I just wanted to check before I tried to update. Have a great day!

1 minute ago, Zelda said:

Cool, thanks for the quick reply! Spacedock itself was loading fine so I just wanted to check before I tried to update. Have a great day!

Yes, sorry, just a little frustrated as I've been bombarded with 'bug reports' from people who can't download things from spacedock for the last 2 hours.