[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Spoiler
On 1/23/2020 at 6:40 PM, Nertea said:

Well, in the background I will continue to work towards that rotational fix. Maybe this weekend.

I'll keep socializing the changes that are happening with NFLV for its next update. In discussions with stakeholders I have decided that this will be one of those 100% breaking, new-part-names-required changes.

5 Metre Parts

There will be a complex ballet of MM patches to deal with 5m parts. Specifically this is because MH, Restock, Restock+ and NFLV have similar scope here. The appropriate scenarios when you install NFLV in your installation are

• You have none of these mods: NFLV provides many 5m parts for you and you are happy, but confused as to why these beautiful new tanks don't match stock. And you wonder why the Mainsail is shiny. 
  • You have Restock/Restock+ but no MH: NFLV will append itself to the Restock+ 5m parts (adding additional variants, for example) and add non-conflicting new 5m parts. NFLV's overlapping 5m parts are hidden. You are an upstanding citizen and you are happy about it. 
  • You have MH but no Restock: your MH 5m parts get repainted as NFLV 5m parts, and NFLV adds its non-conflicting new 5m parts. NFLV's overlapping parts are hidden. You are happy, but there is a nagging thought in the back of your mind that something is missing. You place a Wolfhound on an NFLV tank and you black out and wake up alone in an empty, harvested corn field. There is nothing visible for miles.
  • You have MH and Restock/Restock+: your MH 5m parts get repainted by Restock, NFLV adds non-conflicting new 5m parts. NFLV's overlapping parts are hidden. Everything is fine, but you carefully avoid the MH service modules in the part list. They give you the shivers.

This should all be transparent to the user, with the end goal of having only 1 set of 5m parts show up in the VAB, and a prioritized, logical way of selecting what base part is selected. What this does mean is that NFLV will only be updated after the Restock 5m parts update (which is logical because there is a lot of work left before an NFLV release happens). 

In apology there will be a number of new and improved parts for the 5m set in future NFLV versions, particularly better engine adapters. Also all the new stuff will not look like raw sewage.

7.5 Metre Parts

There should be nothing fancy going on here. Again going to be all artistically redone, probably with new adapters, and I'll probably finally get to those cargo parts. 

New Engines

Currently NFLV adds some engines. These are 'kinda better' LFO engines that are based on methalox engines. There is an optional patch which enables the me. Current thinking is that this will no longer be the case - all methalox engines will be purged from the mod and not really replaced. Current thinking is that they'll move over to CryoEngines and get first class LCH4/O support. And maybe more engines. Bit up in the air but be warned that this move is coming. There will be soft deprecation, so it'll be okay.

The new LFO engines that I showed earlier will come into play. These are mostly booster type engines so fit well with the Launch Vehicles theme. There are currently.

• 1.25m, based on the AR-1
  • 1.875m, based on the RS-84
  • 2.5m, based on the Space Transportation Booster Engine
  • 3.75m, based on a cluster of AR-1 engines

There may also be 1 or two more. They'll have like... cool effects. I dunno man.

BUT MAYBE THERE SHOULD BE PICTURES. And maybe less coffee. 

Capture.PNG

ix nay on the latter

oof.PNG

In order to keep up with high quality new Squad engines I will also be shipping emissive textures

Capture.PNG

That's all for now folks. Stay tuned for next time when I haven't had a multi-espresso-pot-day.

Please note, all of this will of course be derailed by dealing with the 1.9 release, a process similar to undergoing a colonoscopy (yayyyyyyy) so there's that. 

Wow......this is......beautiful

Now i know you generally don't take requests, but since this is a major overhaul of the >3.75 M parts and i have a 1.6.1 game where i'm pretty sure there's enough 5m tankage stranded on various planets to alter their local gravity i'm gonna ask anyway.

I'm almost always making massive clusters underneath these tanks, and this means i'll normally end up with a rocket where i have literally half a million in engines strapped to the bottom. Now in this career i had transitioned mostly to reusable launchers exclusively, but it was extremely difficult making the jump from 3.75M boosters to the 5m boosters due to the sheer cost of the required engines to make them actually outperform the previous booster model. Coupled with the fact that you get much more cross-sectional area; making them more difficult to control in atmosphere..blah blah blah

Basically i want to request a S.M.A.R.T - like system for 3.75, 5.0 and 7.5 M parts; that could detach and return the engines from a large booster. Perhaps intergrating a thrust plate for making massive clusters with parachutes and a very basic probe core and reaction wheels to help it on the way down.

I totally understand if the answer is no, but i figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:45 PM, CDSlice said:

@Nertea , I take you don't really like the Making History DLC... :D

It's kinda... some words that the forum will filter. 

In gameplay design, not in art even.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:38 PM, eberkain said:

what I would love is a bigger selection of regular parachutes without installing real chutes or tweakscale.  :D

Parachutes are the devil. Maybe second only to IVAs are huge deployable mesh antennae. 

17 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Wow......this is......beautiful

Now i know you generally don't take requests, but since this is a major overhaul of the >3.75 M parts and i have a 1.6.1 game where i'm pretty sure there's enough 5m tankage stranded on various planets to alter their local gravity i'm gonna ask anyway.

I'm almost always making massive clusters underneath these tanks, and this means i'll normally end up with a rocket where i have literally half a million in engines strapped to the bottom. Now in this career i had transitioned mostly to reusable launchers exclusively, but it was extremely difficult making the jump from 3.75M boosters to the 5m boosters due to the sheer cost of the required engines to make them actually outperform the previous booster model. Coupled with the fact that you get much more cross-sectional area; making them more difficult to control in atmosphere..blah blah blah

Basically i want to request a S.M.A.R.T - like system for 3.75, 5.0 and 7.5 M parts; that could detach and return the engines from a large booster. Perhaps intergrating a thrust plate for making massive clusters with parachutes and a very basic probe core and reaction wheels to help it on the way down.

I totally understand if the answer is no, but i figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Mmm, is there a particular reason why decoupler + chutes and one of the many probe cores won't work here? I'm usually not a huge proponent of multiple part roles pushed into a single part - if I understand right, you're asking for a combination decoupler-probe-parachute stack item. 

16 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

Really small solar panels is what I am seeking if your taking requests

I don't think I've ever taken requests :P. 

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Mmm, is there a particular reason why decoupler + chutes and one of the many probe cores won't work here? I'm usually not a huge proponent of multiple part roles pushed into a single part - if I understand right, you're asking for a combination decoupler-probe-parachute stack item. 

Nah it would be pretty easy to roll my own S.M.A.R.T like system in KSP, but that comes with extra part count, weight and also just from a appearance standpoint the bottom of a large cluster is already pretty busy visually. So the benefits here would be mostly weight reduction, simpler staging and looks.

But i also forgot what a nightmare chutes are in KSP, so making them part of a single part may not be that great of an idea..

Love the mod @Nertea; combined with the Space Station Parts Redux I can't play KSP without them.

I've noticed one niggle with respects to RPM (1.8); the Advanced Cockpit appears to be in need of an update (for example, selecting cameras on the screen doesn't work at present). Is this in need of address on your end, or more RPM?

Keep it up btw! Looking forward to more!

Edited by Diddly Feelerino

On 1/25/2020 at 5:31 PM, Streetwind said:

@Virtualgenius In what kind of scenario is the stock OX-Stat too large? o_O

Unrelated to NFEx, but I found the "mini" solar panels I made for BDB (which are smaller than the OX-STAT) seemed to be too big for some of my new probe bodies... Think I need to make some that are even smaller.

On 1/26/2020 at 12:21 AM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

But i also forgot what a nightmare chutes are in KSP, so making them part of a single part may not be that great of an idea..

Just wanted to chime in with another detail that might not be apparent - I don't know what you were picturing, but there's a limitation to the parachute module. You can only have a single "pivot" for the parachute (the point they wobble from once deployed) so if there's multiple chutes, unless they're all connected to a single D-ring or something it wouldn't be doable in a single part.

1 hour ago, Diddly Feelerino said:

Love the mod @Nertea; combined with the Space Station Parts Redux I can't play KSP without them.

I've noticed one niggle with respects to RPM (1.8); the Advanced Cockpit appears to be in need of an update (for example, selecting cameras on the screen doesn't work at present). Is this in need of address on your end, or more RPM?

Keep it up btw! Looking forward to more!

That would be for whoever maintains the RPM configs for Nertea's mods, I don't believe he's the one that does them.

@Nertea A question, would this mod affect how stock antenna's work? ranges or connections? I've got a game where I have craft connected through a relay, but they are showing no probe control, despite the fact that the in game map shows a green line connection between the probe and Kerbin. I'm not sure what's causing this behavior, as I've never seen it in previous games, and this mod is one of only 2 that I've added just for this save, the other being Severedsolo's Bureaucracy mod, and he's already helped me trouble shoot that mod as not being responsible. I don't know that this one is, but I'm trying to figure out how to disable it to test, without removing it completely.

YfXYo5K.jpg

df73xRr.jpg

Pretty much all the craft involved use parts from this mod, so if i remove the mod, all the craft go poof, because of missing parts, and I'm not sure what configs to remove from the mod to disable any antenna changes without actually removing parts, which would break the craft.

EDIT sorry near future exploration specifically,

Edited by vardicd

20 minutes ago, Nertea said:

What antennae are involved in the two vessels ? Are there any feeder/reflector combinations? Are you using any other mods that might interact with commnet?

The craft with no control is using both a HG- 5 high gain antenna and a communitron 16

it's connected to a relay with a communotron DTS-J1

As far as I know i'm not using mods that affect commnet

tNg7Jph.png Here's a screen shot of the mods I'm using

Edited by vardicd

3 minutes ago, vardicd said:

The craft with no control is using both a HG- 5 high gain antenna and a communitron 16

it's connected to a relay with a communotron DTS-J1

As far as I know i'm not using mods that affect commnet

Maybe a bit more clarification:

• DTS-J1 is on the craft that has no control, which is connected to a....
  • HG-5 which is on the relay?

If this is the case I kinda think we can rule out NFX because I don't touch either of those antennae (as they are stock and deploy which I don't have great support for at the moment)

5 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Maybe a bit more clarification:

• DTS-J1 is on the craft that has no control, which is connected to a....
  • HG-5 which is on the relay?

If this is the case I kinda think we can rule out NFX because I don't touch either of those antennae (as they are stock and deploy which I don't have great support for at the moment)

jlMwSJ7.jpg

This lander has both a HG- 5 high gain antenna and a communitron 16, and Probodobodyne QBE probe core for remote, pilot-less control. pinned in the picture. It is connected to this relay:

aw13WVi.jpg

Which features the communotron DTS-J1 and has a link to both Kerbin, and the probe controlled lander

SKp4upy.jpg

Oh sorry I got J1- and M1 confused. The J-1 is from RS+ and I do touch it!

You could try going into your GameData and delete NearFutureExploration/Patches/NFExplorationAntennaFeedsReStockPlus.cfg and seeing if that changes anything. 

13 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Oh sorry I got J1- and M1 confused. The J-1 is from RS+ and I do touch it!

You could try going into your GameData and delete NearFutureExploration/Patches/NFExplorationAntennaFeedsReStockPlus.cfg and seeing if that changes anything. 

I'm afraid this didn't do anything, the probe still remains uncontrollable. This is blowing my mind, the game shows it as having a connection to Kerbin, you can see the line of communication, but something is blocking control and I can't figure out what, I've never seen this before, but thanks for taking the time to try and help me.

Edited by vardicd

@Nertea Whelp, I think I figured out my problem. when you mentioned the DTS-J1 was a restock antenna I went digging in the config files in restock, and surprise surprise, I missed that the DTS-J1 is listed as a DIRECT antenna, not a relay. so the relay antenna on my uncontrollable probe core, is connected to the DTS-J1 on the "relay" and that antenna is connected to Kerbin, but since it's not ACTUALLY a relay, it's not relaying control from Kerbin. 

Pardon me while I go park myself in this corner and put my dunce cap on, cause I deserve this. 

Thanks again for trying to help me and sorry to bother you with my own failing to notice details. 

I'll just redesign my relay sats to actually have some relay antennas on them and then see if i can get some probe control..... :blush:;.;:blush:

On 1/27/2020 at 11:05 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Just wanted to chime in with another detail that might not be apparent - I don't know what you were picturing, but there's a limitation to the parachute module. You can only have a single "pivot" for the parachute (the point they wobble from once deployed) so if there's multiple chutes, unless they're all connected to a single D-ring or something it wouldn't be doable in a single part.

You couldn't even have 4 seperate parachute modules on a single part? Similar to how radial symmetry works?

Haven't played in a while, updated some mods and for some reason now when i try and load my saved game I get the error I am missing the following parts

cryoengine-25-1
Solarpanel-curved-25
battery-375
solarpanel-deploying-1x3-2

edit: just looked at change log.  I assume these are the parts removed?  

Edited by KSPNoob