[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

18 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

You couldn't even have 4 seperate parachute modules on a single part? Similar to how radial symmetry works?

You might, but then you'd have 4 different deploy modules on the part... it'd be awkward. 

5 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

Haven't played in a while, updated some mods and for some reason now when i try and load my saved game I get the error I am missing the following parts

cryoengine-25-1
Solarpanel-curved-25
battery-375
solarpanel-deploying-1x3-2

edit: just looked at change log.  I assume these are the parts removed?  

Yes, depending on how long ago it was, some parts have been improved since you last played. Changes to the parts' attach parameters and colliders resulted in new parts, and after a few months i hard-remove them so as to save player RAM.

You'll have to go get the parts from a pre-deprecation update to use those. 

On 1/27/2020 at 7:24 AM, Diddly Feelerino said:

I've noticed one niggle with respects to RPM (1.8); the Advanced Cockpit appears to be in need of an update (for example, selecting cameras on the screen doesn't work at present). Is this in need of address on your end, or more RPM?

To be honest I'm likely going to remove RPM support from the main distribution soon. It's getting stale and it was user-contributed (I don't have the bandwidth or interest to update it) - if it is actually broken it would be better to keep it out of the distribution

The moment I saw the new Near Future Exploration triangle-shaped probe I instantly thought of Viking. I've been waiting for a long time to get a probe exactly in that sort of shape! I even was able to tweakscale the hollow version of the triangle bus to be a cover for the fuel tanks. I really liked how it turned out!

6wZ1YMf.png

Spoiler
Z1Ko1Vq.png
yd9ST89.png
htHROsO.png
Ij8e2ZL.png
eom2mZ5.png

Edited by Invaderchaos

13 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Yikes; would RealChute make any of this better or is it just a limitation of KSP that can't really be avoided? More asking for my own curiosity now.

I'm not an expert but I have seen this come up a dozen times now for various mods and my understanding is that it is a limitation of KSP and unavoidable. The best solution I have seen so far is the one BDB uses for the Apollo parachutes, have a chute mounting part with attachment nodes that work with the symmetry mode so you can place all three at once and as such, if you edit the tweakables on one it will also edit the other two the same way.

2 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I'm not an expert but I have seen this come up a dozen times now for various mods and my understanding is that it is a limitation of KSP and unavoidable. The best solution I have seen so far is the one BDB uses for the Apollo parachutes, have a chute mounting part with attachment nodes that work with the symmetry mode so you can place all three at once and as such, if you edit the tweakables on one it will also edit the other two the same way.

Thought so; thanks for the answer though.

9 minutes ago, MOPC said:

@Invaderchaos oh my, this looks fantastic! Mind sharing graphics mods/presets you're using?

Thanks! Off the top of my head, the primary graphics mods I use are scatterer, EVE, planetshine, and KS3P(with Zorg's config). Additionally, this is also the planet pack JNSQ's Duna in case if that was part of your question.

NF eXploration 1.0.3

• Fixed another localization issue with the VAB info display for ModuleDeployableReflector
  • Changed the way antenna feeds are patched
  • Fixed a localization error in the PLTO core description
  • Fixed a typo in the RFL-2000 description
  • Excluded all antenna patching when either RemoteTech or RealAntennas are installed
  • Some adjustments to more gracefully handle failing feed things
  • Antenna feed line 'good' color is now cyan
  • Antenna feed lines are now not turned on by default in the VAB
  • Rotated most probe cores by 180 degrees to match initial convention
  • Rotated PLTO cores and bus by -150 degrees, this will affect craft but obeys the above convention

On 1/29/2020 at 10:01 AM, Nertea said:

To be honest I'm likely going to remove RPM support from the main distribution soon. It's getting stale and it was user-contributed (I don't have the bandwidth or interest to update it) - if it is actually broken it would be better to keep it out of the distribution

As it happens I've started work on MAS configs for the NFT command pods, but I intend to publish it separately as an add-on to my stock part configs.

NFExploration is an interesting new addition, I haven't looked at it fully yet as I'm playing a 1.7.3 game not 1.8.1 but I've included some parts e.g. probes and buses into that 1.7.3 game. Aside from the circular probe cores being rather ineffective compared to the stock RGUs (and the extra .625 and 1.875 RGUs from restock+) due to their higher cost, feeble reaction wheels and less good SAS, I've noticed that some of the probe textures can act strangely- the RND silver texture is completely smooth whereas every other foil texture looks crinkly, and on several probes (DSK and/or CYL that I've seen so far) switching the texture leaves some parts of the core the default grey, is that intended?

Is it me or is Mk1-TMA Proteus (from Near Future Spacecraft) a bit too big for the stock 1.25 m heat shield? It burned up in atmosphere in my JNSQ game almost immediately after reentering despite having plenty of ablator.

Edited by garwel

5 hours ago, garwel said:

Is it me or is Mk1-TMA Proteus (from Near Future Spacecraft) a bit too big for the stock 1.25 m heat shield? It burned up in atmosphere in my JNSQ game almost immediately after reentering despite having plenty of ablator.

I don't have test results for anything larger than stock scale, so I don't know. 

6 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

NFExploration is an interesting new addition, I haven't looked at it fully yet as I'm playing a 1.7.3 game not 1.8.1 but I've included some parts e.g. probes and buses into that 1.7.3 game. Aside from the circular probe cores being rather ineffective compared to the stock RGUs (and the extra .625 and 1.875 RGUs from restock+) due to their higher cost, feeble reaction wheels and less good SAS, I've noticed that some of the probe textures can act strangely- the RND silver texture is completely smooth whereas every other foil texture looks crinkly, and on several probes (DSK and/or CYL that I've seen so far) switching the texture leaves some parts of the core the default grey, is that intended?

Stock balance is garbage, can't do much. Does it make sense for the RGUs to have better properties than practically every probe in stock? 

For probe colours, there's a comprehensive album in the OP - check to see if they're like that. I'll check out the RND thing. 

On 2/1/2020 at 2:47 AM, General Apocalypse said:

Stupid request but would you please consider adding some Nuclear (LF) powered RCS blocks ? They would be great as a mid-career option. 

Maybe some big 5-way RCS blocks with the rad hazard sign on them ?

Nuclear RCS is pretty silly. The throttle response rate would be low unless you had an entire support system to keep the reactor running for when you needed it. There's a reason that most prospective future ships still use chemical RCS.

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

Nuclear RCS is pretty silly. The throttle response rate would be low unless you had an entire support system to keep the reactor running for when you needed it. There's a reason that most prospective future ships still use chemical RCS.

I should have been more clear perhaps , you do have an amazing assortment of engines. I mean RCS that uses only liquid fuel and operate on the principles of the LV-N "Nerv" , it's mostly to eliminate the need to store mono on orbital fuel depots and simplify the overall ship design.

The way I saw them is basically mini-exhaust nozzles from the main engine. Maybe they would work ONLY if you have a nuclear engine on the ship ?

16 hours ago, garwel said:

Tbh this is a problem I have been having with pretty much all capsules in JNSQ / 3.2X when coming back from Mun or higher : if the shield is not angled perfectly then things go bad. Though l suspect something is going on with the moded advanced versions of the mk1 as I have also some troubles. A trick I like is to use a 1.25m device bay between the capsule and the shield. Those have amazing heat resistance. In fact you can use them as heat shield in normal play.

18 hours ago, Nertea said:

For probe colours, there's a comprehensive album in the OP - check to see if they're like that. I'll check out the RND thing. 

The screenshot gallery has the CYL and DSK looking like I saw in-game, though having some parts of the probe cores foil-less is a bit odd. The RND silver foil is definitely not the same though, it's crinkly like the others in the album.

Could we get 0.4688m and 0.3125m sized probe parts added to (very) late tech tree under new nodes labelled "micronization" and "additive-subtractive micro-construction" for basic probe design, and "micronized rocketry" for propulsion.

17 hours ago, General Apocalypse said:

I should have been more clear perhaps , you do have an amazing assortment of engines. I mean RCS that uses only liquid fuel and operate on the principles of the LV-N "Nerv" , it's mostly to eliminate the need to store mono on orbital fuel depots and simplify the overall ship design.

The way I saw them is basically mini-exhaust nozzles from the main engine. Maybe they would work ONLY if you have a nuclear engine on the ship ?

Nuclear rockets operate by heating propellant running through it to crazy-high temperatures, created through radioactive decay. This brings with it certain quirks and problems, like how to properly turn it on and off - after all, the propellant flow is the only thing keeping the engine from melting itself to slag while the control rods are out...

The LV-N as it is ingame actually behaves nothing like a nuclear rocket at all. It behaves like a hydrazine monopropellant thruster with extremely unrealistic Isp and mass. Meaning, what you are asking of Nertea to implement is a RCS thruster running on liquid fuel with entirely handwaved, inexplicable performance characteristics.

Now, this might be something that Squad is okay with doing for the sake of ease of gameplay... but, I've known Nertea for a long time now. And he's definitely not okay with this sort of thing. At least not without some compromise (see: Kerbal Atomics/NF Electrical integration). This is a science game, we can do better than handwaving! If you desire non-monoprop RCS, use the stock Vernor. If you desire high-Isp RCS, grab NF Propulsion for its electric variants. If you desire LF-only RCS... yeah, sorry, I got nothin'. But you can probably Module Manager yourself a cloned stock RCS part with its fuel type swapped out in under five minutes. ;)

11 hours ago, Muetdhiver said:

Tbh this is a problem I have been having with pretty much all capsules in JNSQ / 3.2X when coming back from Mun or higher : if the shield is not angled perfectly then things go bad. Though l suspect something is going on with the moded advanced versions of the mk1 as I have also some troubles. A trick I like is to use a 1.25m device bay between the capsule and the shield. Those have amazing heat resistance. In fact you can use them as heat shield in normal play.

JNSQ is probably not shipping adjusted physics constants, or if so, adjusts them only slightly. The thing is, stock KSP artificially inflates reentry stresses - otherwise you wouldn't get any heat and effects at all at the comparatively low orbital speeds you have around the stock-size planets. But if you increase the planet size, you're increasing orbital speeds, and therefore get more reentry heating. You can decide to adjust the physics constants to get a more stockalike heat experience, or you can decide to leave them as is due to considering higher heating factors more believable and/or an interesting gameplay challenge.

Regardless of JNSQ's design approach, though, you can always use the reentry heat slider in the game difficulty settings to adjust for higher orbital speeds and/or your personal desire for challenge. It doesn't do everything you can do by tweaking the underlying physics constants, but it does help with reentry survivability when playing with resized planets.

Edited by Streetwind

So I have recently began to start a big modded playthrough and the goal is to play JNSQ once Kopernicus updates Soon TM. However, I was playing around with the cool new phased array antenna things from NF Exploration and I can't seem to get them to work. The "reflector buff" area is always blank, even if they're aiming right at a reflector, and the "render antenna path" buttons do nothing in the editor. Below is my modlist. I'm wondering if another mod is causing the issue. I did try uninstalling KRnD to see if that fixed it and it didn't, so I don't think that one is the issue.

Spoiler

Action Groups Extended (AGExt 1:2.4.0.1)
AmpYear (AmpYearPowerManager 1:V1.5.6.0)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.13.0)
Better SR Bs (BetterSRBs 1.1.0)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
BetterCrewAssignment (BetterCrewAssignment 1.4)
BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.12.5)
blackheart612's Procedural Part Textures (ProceduralParts-Textures-SCCKSCS 1)
BonVoyage (BonVoyage 1:1.0.1.1)
CapCom - Mission Control On The Go (CapCom 2.11)
Celestial Body Science Editor (CelestialBodyScienceEditor 12.0)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.9.5)
CommNet Antennas Consumptor (CommNetAntennasConsumptor 2.3.3)
CommNet Antennas Info (CommNetAntennasInfo 2.3.3)
CommNet Constellation (CommNetConstellation 1.5.1)
Community Parts Titles (CommunityPartsTitles 0.5.4)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.3.0.0)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.0)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.28.0)
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations Reborn (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 2:3.7.2.1)
Contract Pack: Clever Sats (ContractConfigurator-CleverSats 1.4)
Contract Pack: Exploration Plus (ContractConfigurator-ExplorationPlus 1.0.2)
Contract Pack: Field Research (ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch 1.2.1)
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy (ContractConfigurator-KerbalAcademy 1.1.10)
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus (ContractConfigurator-Tourism 1.5.2)
Contract Parser (ContractParser 9.0)
Contract Reward Modifier (ContractRewardModifier 2.7)
Contracts Window + (ContractsWindowPlus 9.4)
Cryo Tanks (CryoTanks 1.4.0)
Cryo Tanks Core (CryoTanks-Core 1.4.0)
Cryogenic Engines (CryoEngines 1:1.1.0)
Custom Barn Kit (CustomBarnKit 1.1.20.0)
DefaultActionGroups (DefaultActionGroups 1.3)
Deployable Engines Plugin (DeployableEngines 1.2.0)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.4.3)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.8.5)
Dynamic Battery Storage (DynamicBatteryStorage 2:2.1.4.0)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.4.1)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.8.0-2)
Extended information about scientific experiments in VAB (ScienceSituationInfo 1:1.3.4)
Heat Control (HeatControl 0.5.0)
Infernal Robotics - Next (InfernalRoboticsNext v3.0.0)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.12.0.0)
Kerbal Atomics (KerbalAtomics 1:1.1.1)
Kerbal Atomics - Other Mod Support (KerbalAtomics-NTRModSupport 1.1.1)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.7.1)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next (KerbalJointReinforcementNext v4.1.15)
Kerbal Research & Development (KRnD 1.16.0.1)
KRASH - Kerbal Ramification Artifical Simulation Hub (simulation mod for KSP) (KRASH 0.5.32)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.4.1.4)
MagiCore (MagiCore 1.3.2.3)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.1.3)
Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 1.2.1)
Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 1.1.0)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 1.1.0)
Near Future Exploration (NearFutureExploration 1.0.3)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 1:0.6.1)
Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 1.2.0)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 1.1.0)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 1.1.0)
Near Future Spacecraft (NearFutureSpacecraft 1.3.0)
Node Helper (NodeHelper 1.5.1.2)
Part Angle Display Continued (PADContinued 0.4.0)
Part Commander Continued (PartCommanderCont 1.1.6.1)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.3)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.3)
Precise Maneuver (PreciseManeuver 2:2.4.4)
Procedural Parts (ProceduralParts v1.3.21)
Procedural Parts - MainSailor's Procedural Textures - Complete Texture Pack (MainSailorTextures-Complete 2.0.0.0.1)
Procedural Parts - MainSailor's Procedural Textures - Essential Textures and Flag (MainSailorTextures-Essentials 2.0.0.0.1)
Procedural Parts - Saturn / Nova Texture Pack (ProceduralParts-Textures-SaturnNova 1.2)
Procedural Parts - Ven's Revamp Style Textures (VensStylePPTextures 1.1)
Procedural Start (ProceduralStart 1.0.2)
Progress Parser (ProgressParser 11.0)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.31.2)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.31.2)
RCS Build Aid Continued (RCSBuildAidCont 1:0.10.0)
RealChute Parachute Systems (RealChute v1.4.7.5)
REPOSoftTech-Agencies (REPOSoftTech-Agencies V1.5.6.0)
ResearchBodies (ResearchBodies 2:V1.11.0.0)
ReStock (ReStock 1.0.3)
ReStock+ (ReStockPlus 1.0.3)
SCANsat (SCANsat v18.14)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0541)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 2:v0.0541)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0541)
ScienceAlert ReAlerted (ScienceAlert 1.9.8.6)
Show FPS (ShowFPS 1:0.2.1)
Smart Tank (SmartTank v0.4.0)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.2.3)
SpaceY Expanded (SpaceY-Expanded 1.4)
SpaceY Heavy Lifters (SpaceY-Lifters 1.17.2)
StageRecovery (StageRecovery 1.9.2.2)
Station Keeping (StationKeeping 1:0.2.2)
Station Science Continued (StationScienceContinued v2.6.0)
Strategia (Strategia 1.8.0)
TAC Fuel Balancer (TacFuelBalancer v2.21.5.1)
The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.7)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1:1.8.0.5)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.3.0)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.7.2.0)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.4.3.10)
UnKerballed Start (UnKerballedStart 1.1)