[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Just now, Nergal8617 said:

I tried it out of curiosity with NFC, it crashes to desktop during loading.

But why? Most part mods from before 1.1 work but this completely crashes the game... As far as I know, it doesn't add any major game mechanics.

3 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

But why? Most part mods from before 1.1 work but this completely crashes the game... As far as I know, it doesn't add any major game mechanics.

Not sure, honestly.  Since I know it will eventually be updated to 1.3 I didn't really dig into why it crashed.  And I know NFE adds mechanics for handling nuclear reactors.

Edited by Nergal8617

18 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

What does actually happen if you try to run NFT in 1.3? I mean... they are parts after all.

You're shooting yourself in the foot for future updates. 

@Nertea And one more thing I want to ask... Are the 2.5m & 1.25m ion engines gonna be removed in the 1.3 update? I know that officially they arent part of the mod anymore, but since they are still in the file and can be easily enabled, Im still using them.

Edited by notJebKerman

1 minute ago, notJebKerman said:

@Nertea And one more thing I want to ask... Are the 2.5m & 1.25m ion engines gonna be removed in the 1.3 update? I know that officially they arent part of the mod anymore, but since they are still in the file and can be easily enabled, Im still using them.

Also gone. Should mention that in the changelog. Basically I'm removing everything that was soft-deprecated previously.

9 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

Several bits of NFT rely on .dll files which aren't updated, and which the 1.3 update broke.  Bits like NFE's reactor mechanics, radioactive decay of RTGs (if you've copied that folder to GameData), etc.  They may not be major changes, but the aspects changed either refer to methods deprecated in the new version, or other changes in the KSP API.  It could be something really, really minor which caused a CTD.

Generally, here's the rules of thumb:
1. Assume a Squad release can break any mod which isn't a 100% pure parts mod
2. Don't assume it means a quick fix
3. Leave the mod author alone and let them work at their own pace - they are people and have lives, and most rarely ever get to play KSP for the enjoyment of it
3. Remember that in the case of the popular mods, like USI, NFT, KBPS and Kerbalism, there's one person responding to requests/suggestions/complaints/demands from 100 people
4. Every post in the thread that the dev reads is several minutes that they are responding to folks rather than working on an update.  If they respond, that's 30 minutes or more gone

I'm as eager as the rest of you, but as has been said - it makes bad things happen now in 1.3, and the fix will be ready when it's ready.
(not speaking to you directly on those, notJebKerman - it's in a general sense)

Edited by panarchist

18 hours ago, panarchist said:

Several bits of NFT rely on .dll files which aren't updated, and which the 1.3 update broke.  Bits like NFE's reactor mechanics, radioactive decay of RTGs (if you've copied that folder to GameData), etc.  They may not be major changes, but the aspects changed either refer to methods deprecated in the new version, or other changes in the KSP API.  It could be something really, really minor which caused a CTD.

Generally, here's the rules of thumb:
1. Assume a Squad release can break any mod which isn't a 100% pure parts mod
2. Don't assume it means a quick fix
3. Leave the mod author alone and let them work at their own pace - they are people and have lives, and most rarely ever get to play KSP for the enjoyment of it
3. Remember that in the case of the popular mods, like USI, NFT, KBPS and Kerbalism, there's one person responding to requests/suggestions/complaints/demands from 100 people
4. Every post in the thread that the dev reads is several minutes that they are responding to folks rather than working on an update.  If they respond, that's 30 minutes or more gone

I'm as eager as the rest of you, but as has been said - it makes bad things happen now in 1.3, and the fix will be ready when it's ready.
(not speaking to you directly on those, notJebKerman - it's in a general sense)

i love this, but i think  'requests/suggestions/complaints/demands from 100 people' could be lo-balling the estimate :P 
neverming the 'can you put this on ckan ' crowd :)

We have test builds, but they're a little bit too buggy still... you wouldn't believe the number of amusing pitfalls that localization brings with it. :P

And no, it's not for sure that the update will break craft files or saves, but you should operate under the assumption that it will. If it doesn't, that's a bonus.

Edited by Streetwind

I don't want to be rude or pushy or anything else but if it will take some time until there is a final release for 1.3, could a test build be released between? My career save game uses a lot near future stuff and it will speed up the bug finding process.

Edited by onlinegamesz

28 minutes ago, onlinegamesz said:

I don't want to be rude or pushy or anything else but if it will take some time until there is a final release for 1.3, could a test build be released between? My career save game uses a lot near future stuff and it will speed up the bug finding process.

see above... there are some test builds for certain things, but if you dont even know how to get them you arent gonna be much help with bug hunting

1 hour ago, onlinegamesz said:

You were concerned about final builds breaking things... guess what? Test builds generally break things harder, and then sometimes, the final build breaks test build saves again! :P

Using test builds for career gameplay is a bad idea.

On 2.6.2017 at 3:42 PM, Space Kadet said:

i love this, but i think  'requests/suggestions/complaints/demands from 100 people' could be lo-balling the estimate :P 
neverming the 'can you put this on ckan ' crowd :)

The problem with your quoted statement is we see here only what the people write on forums. Add all PM's, GitHub issues and other contacts everywhere i asume 100 will be way to optimistik. Best one is post one time and wait patiently. If he has time and tgink he will get a solution this is great. If not wait till next update. There is the time where the most modders get a lions chunk of work done and have the capability to look what is acceptable. Bothering the people was never a way to get your wishes fullfiled!

We as MDU's are capable to help to. Like look at forum and GitHub and add all informations in one post to condence the work in one chunk. For example.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

PS: it is no personal offense. But i though your post would be a great anchor for my statement.

Edited by Urses

56 minutes ago, Urses said:

The problem with your quoted statement is we see here only what the people write on forums. Add all PM's, GitHub issues and other contacts everywhere i asume 100 will be way to optimistik. Best one is post one time and wait patiently. If he has time and tgink he will get a solution this is great. If not wait till next update. There is the time where the most modders get a lions chunk of work done and have the capability to look what is acceptable. Bothering the people was never a way to get your wishes fullfiled!

We as MDU's are capable to help to. Like look at forum and GitHub and add all informations in one post to condence the work in one chunk. For example.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

PS: it is no personal offense. But i though your post would be a great anchor for my statement.

:P i think i wrote it wrong, i meant exactly what you said :)

On 5/31/2017 at 7:26 AM, Psycho_zs said:

Will LFO patch for orbital engines bring back those 10-20s of Isp?

Haven't decided yet, leaning towards no. 

7 hours ago, onlinegamesz said:

I don't want to be rude or pushy or anything else but if it will take some time until there is a final release for 1.3, could a test build be released between? My career save game uses a lot near future stuff and it will speed up the bug finding proce

Anyone can PM me if they want to help test things, but as has been said, it's a saintly position which in no way means you get to play early, it's just really helpful to us in terms of hunting down the bugs considering how many changes there have been in this release cycle.

I have a feature request for the coming update: Can the reactor structure on NFE be made so the default is "TopNode" (somehow that auto-corrected to Gilmore)? I find it annoying to have to place my reactor on top of my spacecraft, change the part type, and then place it where I want. If the answer is no, can someone tell me how do change this for myself?Thanks!

Edited by ItCameFromDuna