[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

On 11/25/2018 at 7:16 PM, lordcirth said:

KSP runs on all 3 major OS's - do you just mean that you don't have a fast enough PC available?

Second machine is a two year old Chromebook. Never mind the amount of faff involved to make it behave like a more normal Linux machine, it's nowhere near powerful.

I mean I miss my Windows machine.

7 minutes ago, Sufficient Anonymity said:

Second machine is a two year old Chromebook. Never mind the amount of faff involved to make it behave like a more normal Linux machine, it's nowhere near powerful.

I mean I miss my Windows machine.

Well yeah, the Chromebook was meant to be cheap and have some basic utility, not for gamers and power users.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:07 AM, YourOldNerd said:

KSP 1.5.1 - Near Future Construction 1.0.4

The Grip-O-Tron Linear Docking Connection seems do not dock and parts are bouncing each other forever. The XL version seems to work (even I had to nudge it a bit).

Thanks for all the mods tho! Should be added to the official base game.

EDIT: .....er..... now I can't dock even in the XL version.... 

similar problem.
When approaching for docking, he writes that 0.8m is left to the target, but the dockport works at 0.06m. During ground tests, it happened to happen once. Craft at the same time thrown into the air per meter.

ps: sorry for bad english

Edited by Stirliz85

18 hours ago, Stirliz85 said:

similar problem.
When approaching for docking, he writes that 0.8m is left to the target, but the dockport works at 0.06m. During ground tests, it happened to happen once. Craft at the same time thrown into the air per meter.

ps: sorry for bad english

I'll investigate when I can.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:02 AM, Xurkitree said:

Why do we get Argon Tanks before any Argon fueled engine? Also why are my Hall thrusters only using Xenon? I'm playing on 1.4.5

You get the smallest argon tanks at the same time as the smallest HET.

1 minute ago, Nertea said:

I'll investigate when I can.

You get the smallest argon tanks at the same time as the smallest HET.

Weird, my Hall Thrusters just run on Xenon, not Argon. I can't find any Xenon HET patch file in the folder either.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:03 AM, HaydenTheKing said:

Hey all, how do I get near future aeronautics to work with tweakscale?

There are no official patches supplied. You can, however, make your own. Please note that some of the features may not be fully Tweakscale compatible. The plugin isn't written with resizing in mind. When it works - great. When it doesn't work - well, then it doesn't.

23 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Question: At what speeds do the Multimode engines in NF Aero start picking up thrust dramatically?  I know the RAPIER starts accelerating at about 400 m/s, so I would like some better numbers on that.

You can look this up in the config yourself, by checking the velCurve node inside the airbreathing ModuleEnginesFX node. There are a number of keys inside that node, each of which has between two and four numbers assigned to it. The first number is the mach number, the second number is a thrust multiplier, and the third and fourth numbers are irrelevant to you (they smooth out the curve).

That way you can get a rough idea at which speeds the thrust multiplier starts growing noticeably. If you want more detail, you'll have to find a way to draw the curve from its keys, so you can see the slope.

Edited by Streetwind
Typos, typos everywhere!

8 hours ago, Streetwind said:

There are no official patches supplied. You can, however, make your own. Please note that some of the features may not be fully Tweakscale compatible. The plugin isn't written with resizing in mind. When it works - great. When it doesn't work - well, then it doesn't.

How do I make one myself? I just wanted a way to resize some of the engine mounts intakes. Ive made some pretty sick looking planes doing that with OPT and wanted to try it out with near future.

FWIW:

The big three-person lab module just seems like it should be able to handle more science. I tweaked in in my copy to accept 2500 points of data and to not have to transmit science until it had 1500 points of science. This is working out OK for me. But you do need a pretty good supply of power to transmit all that science. (Like upgraded solar panels or maybe a nuclear reactor -- wonder where I could find parts like those?)

11 hours ago, HaydenTheKing said:

How do I make one myself? I just wanted a way to resize some of the engine mounts intakes. Ive made some pretty sick looking planes doing that with OPT and wanted to try it out with near future.

I have no idea. Never used Tweakscale myself. But you can probably find an answer to this question in the Tweakscale mod thread.

5 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

FWIW:

The big three-person lab module just seems like it should be able to handle more science. I tweaked in in my copy to accept 2500 points of data and to not have to transmit science until it had 1500 points of science. This is working out OK for me. But you do need a pretty good supply of power to transmit all that science. (Like upgraded solar panels or maybe a nuclear reactor -- wonder where I could find parts like those?)

Note that it's not as easy as increasing data storage and calling it a day. A mobile lab scales its operating speed with amount of data stored... the absolute value, not a percentage of capacity. So by increasing the data storage, you increase the speed at which the lab runs. That's definitely a balance consideration.

Hello,

I have recently installed Near Future Solar, and its dependancy (Module Manager), because I already have Near Future Spacecraft & Vehicles (awesome mods by the way, work like a charm).

However, this one doesn't seem to work. It only added a few, not all the solar panels (added 1x2 and 1x4 Photovoltaic Truss).

To be honest, I installed this mod only for the circular solar panel, in order to recreate an Insight mission.

How can you explain this?

My KSP version is 1.5.1, I have ModuleManager 3.1.0 installed, and Near Future is the only mod installed which had parts (apart from VenStock Revamp which just changes stock textures).

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and I'm available to give further informations if needed.

**EDIT (sovled)** : Nevermind, I'm just an idiot. I just omitted that I did'nt unlock the part yet in the tech tree (the only thing I didn't unlock, of course).

My apologies.

Edited by Wastel

9 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Note that it's not as easy as increasing data storage and calling it a day. A mobile lab scales its operating speed with amount of data stored... the absolute value, not a percentage of capacity. So by increasing the data storage, you increase the speed at which the lab runs. That's definitely a balance consideration.

I think a three-person, later tech lab should be more productive.

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

@Dafni This is the thread. The pods are part of Near Future Spacecraft's 1.5.x release.

Oh, okay, thank you. Well then I have to change my question if anybody has a link to the imgur album of those new pods please? They dont seem to be included in the album in the OP, but I clearly remember scrolling through an album with those pods.

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Daf

4 hours ago, Dafni said:

Oh, okay, thank you. Well then I have to change my question if anybody has a link to the imgur album of those new pods please? They dont seem to be included in the album in the OP, but I clearly remember scrolling through an album with those pods.

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Daf

The post releasing the update has a full album. To save you the trouble of looking back through the thread for that post, I linked it for you. :D

General ask re: the mono-propellant engines from NF Spacecraft - what are their use cases generally?  Other than variety - which is great and why I love these mods - do these singles and clusters that use mono-propellant have a particular niche that gets filled?  Just looking for some more in-depth understanding as someone who's only recently gotten back into the game after a long hiatus.  Cheers.

22 hours ago, Idleness said:

General ask re: the mono-propellant engines from NF Spacecraft - what are their use cases generally?  Other than variety - which is great and why I love these mods - do these singles and clusters that use mono-propellant have a particular niche that gets filled?  Just looking for some more in-depth understanding as someone who's only recently gotten back into the game after a long hiatus.  Cheers.

They are great for when you don't need a lot of dV and want lots of TWR, they are also very cheap, and monoprop is the best resource to use in RCS. With EVA Fuel this gets even more important, so you use one resource for 3 things. RLA Stockalike also adds fuel cells that runs in monoprop, and smaller engines than the ones in NF.

I find they useful for:

- Landers, because the higher the TWR, the less you lose fighting gravity, both in descent and ascend. The low profile also helps with that.

- Orbital craft that needs to make very precise maneuvers (mostly in constellations of relays)

- Upper stages that don't need much dV, but need TWR to not fall back into the atmosphere 

- Crafts with up to ~2500 dV, that I still want do have a decent TWR. Since you need less dry engine mass to it, the weight of the vessel is lower than using LF.

- Cheap things in general

- Engine breaks for landing my SSTOs, with the newer landing ones. I was using LF/Ox engines (that also are inspired in the dragon capsule), but this means I always needed to salve some Ox for it and the fuel cells. Now I can burn all my Ox in the last reentry maneuver, because I use monoprop for RCS and fuel cells, and everything that was left I can use to break the plane if I'm coming too fast, lading without too much unused resources.

In own my game I did 2 modifications, I removed every LF engine smaller than the Terrier, so anything smaller than it I need to use monoprop, and I slight increased the thrust of all the engines. IIRC, I did that when Nertea updated the mod and nerfed the engines, because people were complaining they were to overpowered :P