[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Hi, I'm trying to understand the reflector antenna concept. I feel like I'm missing something fundamental here. The idea as I understand it is that I can use a reflector to boost a transmitter or relay antenna. The bonus is strictly added to the base range, without any other modification except the percent modifier "Feed Effectiveness".

Is that correct?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to understand what circumstances the parts should be used in. For instance, an RL-100 relay gets me 100Gm of base range at a mass cost of 650kg. An RFL-100 reflector plus an FRA relay gets me the same range at a mass cost of 709kg, but with 30 lower power consumption. Did I do my math more or less correctly there?

Of course the collapsible reflectors allow for more flexibility in spacecraft design. I'm just wondering how other people are using these complex parts.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:09 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

so sad to see all those zeroes being fired and collecting unemployment... :P

It's ok I'm sure they can get jobs with all the tax cuts I'm giving the Post Kerbin Mining Corporation. Should just trickle down, no?

On 2/7/2020 at 8:47 AM, Quoniam Kerman said:

Despite not being up to date, does Near Future Aeronautics still work on KSP 1.8.1?

Yes if you update the dependencies.

5 hours ago, KombatWombat said:

Hi, I'm trying to understand the reflector antenna concept. I feel like I'm missing something fundamental here. The idea as I understand it is that I can use a reflector to boost a transmitter or relay antenna. The bonus is strictly added to the base range, without any other modification except the percent modifier "Feed Effectiveness".

Is that correct?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to understand what circumstances the parts should be used in. For instance, an RL-100 relay gets me 100Gm of base range at a mass cost of 650kg. An RFL-100 reflector plus an FRA relay gets me the same range at a mass cost of 709kg, but with 30 lower power consumption. Did I do my math more or less correctly there?

Of course the collapsible reflectors allow for more flexibility in spacecraft design. I'm just wondering how other people are using these complex parts.

Yeah pretty much. Unfortunately stock's antenna progression is hard to work around, so this pack work more in giving interesting, alternate options rather than completely plugging holes in the progression, like I usually do. 

I've run into some log spam in a KSP 1.8.1/JNSQ save.

Module DischargeCapacitor threw during OnFixedUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at NearFutureElectrical.DischargeCapacitor.get_CurrentCharge () [0x00025] in <989fb22680e84dbba0703c76fe6eb41a>:0
  at NearFutureElectrical.DischargeCapacitor.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00204] in <989fb22680e84dbba0703c76fe6eb41a>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnFixedUpdate () [0x000bd] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 

Player.log here.  I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be related to either On Demand Fuel Cells or Modular Launch Pads, two recently added mods.  I will remove these and retest so I will update this post as necessary.

Edit 1: Removing both ODFC and MLP didn't solve the problem.  I'm recreating my JNSQ install from scratch.

Edited by Brigadier
Edit 1

Okay, so I remember there being an orbital manuever engine cluster, and they were REALLY nice, but I cant find them. Where in gods earth did they go?

On 2/3/2017 at 5:10 PM, Nertea said:

Completed NF Spacecraft 0.6.0

• Marked for KSP 1.2.2
  • Fixed missing NearFutureProps distribution
  • Added Mk4-1 Command Pod, 7-kerbal large command pod
  • Added LV-85 Orbital Maneuvering Engine: 0.625m monopropellant engine that replaces LV-T95 engine
  • Added LV-601 Orbital Maneuvering Engine: 1.25m monopropellant engine
  • Added LV-85-6 Orbital Maneuvering Engine Cluster: 2.5m monopropellant engine that replaces LV-T95x8 engine
  • Added LV-601-4 Orbital Maneuvering Engine Cluster: 3.75m monopropellant engine that replaces LV-T18 engine
  • Added FL-R-A750, FL-R-A375, FL-R-A185 1.25m Monopropellant tanks
  • Added FL-R-B750, FL-R-B1500, FL-R-B3000 2.5m Monopropellant tanks
  • Added FL-R-C1500, FL-R-C3000, FL-R-C6000 3.75m Monopropellant tanks
  • Added SD-01 and SD-02 radial engine pods
  • Improved cargo bay shielding boxes for 3.75m service tank
  • Soft-deprecated LV-T95, LV-T95x8, LVT18 engines (will not break ships, no longer visible in VAB/SPH)

I think these were the engines, but I have no clue where they went. 

You've done a fabulous job with these. I agree the stock progression is rigid and this makes the communication design a lot more subtle and interesting, instead of simply pumping the largest antennas you can afford into convenient relay orbits. Thanks for all the hard work.

14 hours ago, Nertea said:

Yeah pretty much. Unfortunately stock's antenna progression is hard to work around, so this pack work more in giving interesting, alternate options rather than completely plugging holes in the progression, like I usually do. 

22 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I've run into some log spam in a KSP 1.8.1/JNSQ save.

Module DischargeCapacitor threw during OnFixedUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at NearFutureElectrical.DischargeCapacitor.get_CurrentCharge () [0x00025] in <989fb22680e84dbba0703c76fe6eb41a>:0
  at NearFutureElectrical.DischargeCapacitor.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00204] in <989fb22680e84dbba0703c76fe6eb41a>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnFixedUpdate () [0x000bd] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 

Player.log here.  I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be related to either On Demand Fuel Cells or Modular Launch Pads, two recently added mods.  I will remove these and retest so I will update this post as necessary.

Edit 1: Removing both ODFC and MLP didn't solve the problem.  I'm recreating my JNSQ install from scratch.

It would be good to get your MM config cache. I looked into the code and it would appear that this error would only come up with something that has removed the StoredCharge resource with a capacitor part, or if CRP was not installed (I think you'd have worse problems with no CRP though).

18 hours ago, towerdefence661 said:

Okay, so I remember there being an orbital manuever engine cluster, and they were REALLY nice, but I cant find them. Where in gods earth did they go?

I think these were the engines, but I have no clue where they went. 

There are still orbital maneuvering engines that run on monoprop. If you're looking for the old, old ones they will be in an old 2017-level update. Maybe older.

48 minutes ago, dxeh said:

love the new NF eXploration... allthough antenna path rendering does NOT work when RemoteTech is enabled.. 

Most things are disabled with RT installed as the new fancy features are not compatible.

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

It would be good to get your MM config cache. I looked into the code and it would appear that this error would only come up with something that has removed the StoredCharge resource with a capacitor part, or if CRP was not installed (I think you'd have worse problems with no CRP though).

This may have been the associated MM cache.  I can't recall if I ran this KSP install without changes after reporting the problem.

I'm rebuilding a JNSQ install in a separate, fresh KSP install and adding mods until (if) failures occur.  I've found others even before I've installed NFE so, TBH, I'm only part way through the troubleshooting process.  I know for sure that CRP was installed at the time of the NFE errors I reported.  If it occurs again, I will let you know and include the MM cache.  Thanks for looking and, if your educated guess is correct, I will have a better idea of what to look for.

Could it have been JNSQ itself?

Edited by Brigadier
Added last question.

I'd like to give a shout-out to the person who came up with the brilliant idea of adding parts "S-MINI/MED Radial Stack Adapter".

I spent probably a few hours yesterday trying to somehow attach jet engine radially to my VTOL craft. I couldn't find a single radial engine mount with attachment nodes on both sides so ended up with cubic strut clipping abomination.

Now I accidentally stumbled upon this invention of humanity:

v6Ueqco.png

Thank you.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:25 PM, Brigadier said:

I'm rebuilding a JNSQ install in a separate, fresh KSP install and adding mods until (if) failures occur.  I've found others even before I've installed NFE so, TBH, I'm only part way through the troubleshooting process.  I know for sure that CRP was installed at the time of the NFE errors I reported.  If it occurs again, I will let you know and include the MM cache.  Thanks for looking and, if your educated guess is correct, I will have a better idea of what to look for.

The cache and log didn't create any awesome revelations for me, sadly. 

I tried an install with 1.8.1, JNSQ and dependencies and didn't get this issue. I guess continue investigating as you re-add mods and let me know if you see it again!

20 hours ago, ArXen42 said:

I'd like to give a shout-out to the person who came up with the brilliant idea of adding parts "S-MINI/MED Radial Stack Adapter".

Nice, it's one of the oldest parts in the mod. Glad it's useful!

@Nertea I just discovered the DR-3 radial high gain antenna from NF-exploration, and the little wiggle it gives at the end of it's deployment animation gives me the giggles every time. Its almost like I get the image of a little dog waking up and shaking itself. Like, Okay, I'm awake, lets do this. :D I love it. 

Greetings, I'm playing with reactors and all that electric engines and can't find anything related to heating. Is reactor core heat is still a thing? I can't find any GUI or at least internal heat info in context menu, here is the screenshot (enabled KSP heat debug just in case):

kJ8C3rs.png

55 minutes ago, ArXen42 said:

Greetings, I'm playing with reactors and all that electric engines and can't find anything related to heating. Is reactor core heat is still a thing? I can't find any GUI or at least internal heat info in context menu, here is the screenshot (enabled KSP heat debug just in case):

I see you're using Kerbalism.  That disables heat.

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

I see you're using Kerbalism.  That disables heat.

Oops, apparently I shoud've read Kerbalism wiki "mod support" page. Thanks for the info!

Shame to loose that bit of mod complexity though, but, on the other hand, at least it works and has all that pgen/radiation/ISRU background processing mechanics working.

Gonna roleplay a bit and stick some radiators anyway :)

@Nertea Hello and thanks for nice mods. May I have small request?

panels.png

Would it be possible to move the point where exposure is calculated when unfolding/expanding solar panels?
Looks like the point remains where the panels start (folded), not in the middle,
so the result is that bottom panel is not exposed, althought it is 99% exposed,
but the battery pack happen to cover the point of calculation (where no panel actually is).

Edited by firda

I am sure I'm doing something wrong. I can't get any of these antennas to connect or use a reflector, or get them to show a path in the hangar (buttons don't seem to do anything). I am using KSP 1.8.1, with Remote Tech 1.9.5, NFE 1.0.4. 

In the hangar when I press either render path button I get "Null Reference Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

5wPBK5M.png

Edited by shifty303

On 2/17/2020 at 8:53 AM, firda said:

@Nertea Hello and thanks for nice mods. May I have small request?

panels.png

Would it be possible to move the point where exposure is calculated when unfolding/expanding solar panels?
Looks like the point remains where the panels start (folded), not in the middle,
so the result is that bottom panel is not exposed, althought it is 99% exposed,
but the battery pack happen to cover the point of calculation (where no panel actually is).

I looked and this seems to be the only panel affected by this, I'll try to recall when I work on the mod next. If you could create a git issue that would be great so it doesn't get lost. 

23 hours ago, shifty303 said:

I am sure I'm doing something wrong. I can't get any of these antennas to connect or use a reflector, or get them to show a path in the hangar (buttons don't seem to do anything). I am using KSP 1.8.1, with Remote Tech 1.9.5, NFE 1.0.4. 

In the hangar when I press either render path button I get "Null Reference Exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Just going to quote the OP FAQ here. 

On 1/23/2017 at 11:23 AM, Nertea said:

Q: I'm using Remote Tech and something doesn't work!
A: This mod is not compatible with RemoteTech. Some aspects may work but the reflector/feeder system would need to be reimplemented by the RT devs. 

1.9 State Of The Mod Suite:

NF Propulsion

Checked out with no issues, just need to bump the version. Expect 1.2.1 in the next few days. Let me know if there are any bugs noted that need to be fixed.

NF Electrical

Checked out with no issues, just need to bump the version. Expect 1.1.1 in the next few days. Let me know if there are any bugs noted that need to be fixed.

NF Construction

Checked out with no issues, just need to bump the version. Expect 1.2.1 in the next few days. Let me know if there are any bugs noted that need to be fixed.

NF Exploration

Working through a few bugfixes. Otherwise ready for a 1.9-specific release. Expect 1.0.5 in a few days. 

NF Spacecraft

Doesn't seem to be any problems right off. Further checking should happen, but expect 1.3.1 in a few days. 

NF Launch Vehicles

Work is ongoing. Trying to decide whether to bump the current version to 1.9, release the current development build with the redone 5m suite, or hold off until the 7.5m content is done. It's probably going to be the latter. Here's a few pictures from recent work. 

All adapter pieces now have a hollow version:

Capture.PNG

Cargo bays have been completely remodeled:

Capture.PNG

Here's a family portrait of all the fuel tank-like stuff. 

Capture.PNG

NF Solar

Working on fairly meaty update here with switchable cell types. Expect 1.2.0 in a week. 

Overall, I'm executing the plan I described a couple months ago, where all standard panels provided with the mod gain switchable solar cell types, allowing you to choose Basic, Advanced or Concentrator type cells during construction with appropriate balance modifications. Looks something like this:

screenshot66.png?width=2381&height=1340

Edited by Nertea

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

1.9 State Of The Mod Suite:

NF Propulsion

Checked out with no issues, just need to bump the version. Expect 1.2.1 in the next few days. Let me know if there are any bugs noted that need to be fixed.

NF Electrical

Checked out with no issues, just need to bump the version. Expect 1.1.1 in the next few days. Let me know if there are any bugs noted that need to be fixed.

NF Construction

Checked out with no issues, just need to bump the version. Expect 1.2.1 in the next few days. Let me know if there are any bugs noted that need to be fixed.

NF Exploration

Working through a few bugfixes. Otherwise ready for a 1.9-specific release. Expect 1.0.5 in a few days. 

NF Spacecraft

Doesn't seem to be any problems right off. Further checking should happen, but expect 1.3.1 in a few days. 

NF Launch Vehicles

Work is ongoing. Trying to decide whether to bump the current version to 1.9, release the current development build with the redone 5m suite, or hold off until the 7.5m content is done. It's probably going to be the latter. Here's a few pictures from recent work. 

All adapter pieces now have a hollow version:

Capture.PNG

Cargo bays have been completely remodeled:

Capture.PNG

Here's a family portrait of all the fuel tank-like stuff. 

Capture.PNG

NF Solar

Working on fairly meaty update here with switchable cell types. Expect 1.2.0 in a week. 

Overall, I'm executing the plan I described a couple months ago, where all standard panels provided with the mod gain switchable solar cell types, allowing you to choose Basic, Advanced or Concentrator type cells during construction with appropriate balance modifications. Looks something like this:

screenshot66.png?width=2381&height=1340

The images for cargo bays and fuel tanks don't seem to be loading, but the panels and adapters look great! I always appreciate your updates.