[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

@Nertea the patch to add methalox powered RCS thrusters for cryo tanks in NFLV v2 has broken localisation. Example:

Patch looking for  #LOC_NFLaunchVehicles_nflv-rcs-integrated-lch4-4x-1_title

Localisation file says #LOC_NFLaunchVehicles_nflv-rcs-integrated-ch4-4x-1_title (Note the missing L before ch4)

In addition, the part descriptions for the methalox versions still say they run on hydrogen and oxidiser not methane and oxidiser.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Thanks, I'll probably wait to see what else shows up over the weekend and fix this and the smoke thing then.

The biggest 7.5m tank (EA-F1536) has the same cost as the next one down (EA-F768) which means (using IFS and cryo tanks for part switching) the tank actually costs negative funds when empty in LF/Ox, pure LF or pure Ox modes. Not sure if this is the case without cryo tanks as I know this does some rejigging of tank costs.

The nodes on the ER-L1 engine mount have gone missing again, I'm sure this got fixed when I flagged it in testing :/. Some engine mount node options are a bit odd e.g. ER-U1, 2 outer nodes are heavier than 3 and no inner node is heavier and more expensive than one. I was expecting less nodes = lighter and cheaper every time.

ER-U1 shroud is also too long and overlaps with the part below it, but when I launch the rocket the shroud is missing; see below.

Spoiler

In VAB:

chAjcnm.png

In flight:

IuPXrm3.png

I also think the Orca engine doesn't look quite right in 'compact' mode, it floats below the attachment point with a visible gap between it and the part it's attached to. Looks OK in 2.5m and Boattail modes though.

Spoiler

G7k1NBp.png

Ok, I know it says "feature complete" on all of the NF mods in the OP, that you are busy with fixing bugs and such, and that NFLV 2 just came out, but seeing that picture aroused a certain hankering in me. I would really like an X-33, and @Nertea is the best person to do it. This will probably result in a "no, that's a lot of work" and I understand that. Just floating it, in case it actually becomes a reality.

22 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Ok, I know it says "feature complete" on all of the NF mods in the OP, that you are busy with fixing bugs and such, and that NFLV 2 just came out, but seeing that picture aroused a certain hankering in me. I would really like an X-33, and @Nertea is the best person to do it. This will probably result in a "no, that's a lot of work" and I understand that. Just floating it, in case it actually becomes a reality.

@Angel-125 is working on one, though I can't recall which thread he's got teaser images in.

10 minutes ago, DStaal said:

@Angel-125 is working on one, though I can't recall which thread he's got teaser images in.

They're in the "What did you do in KSP today?" thread. I won't derail this thread by posting them. @Nertea has done a truly amazing job with the art direction in his mods, and NFLV is just one of the latest and fabulous! I can see a place for the super heavy lifters down the road in my JNSQ game, for instance. Especially a nuclear SSTO...

3 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

The biggest 7.5m tank (EA-F1536) has the same cost as the next one down (EA-F768) which means (using IFS and cryo tanks for part switching) the tank actually costs negative funds when empty in LF/Ox, pure LF or pure Ox modes. Not sure if this is the case without cryo tanks as I know this does some rejigging of tank costs.

The nodes on the ER-L1 engine mount have gone missing again, I'm sure this got fixed when I flagged it in testing :/. Some engine mount node options are a bit odd e.g. ER-U1, 2 outer nodes are heavier than 3 and no inner node is heavier and more expensive than one. I was expecting less nodes = lighter and cheaper every time.

ER-U1 shroud is also too long and overlaps with the part below it, but when I launch the rocket the shroud is missing; see below.

Reveal hidden contents

In VAB:

chAjcnm.png

In flight:

IuPXrm3.png

I also think the Orca engine doesn't look quite right in 'compact' mode, it floats below the attachment point with a visible gap between it and the part it's attached to. Looks OK in 2.5m and Boattail modes though.

Reveal hidden contents

G7k1NBp.png

use the move tool my man

The exhaust FX on these engines look fantastic, are you processing your screenshots at all or is this just how good the game looks now? Haven't had a chance to actually load it up in a while...

Great update, or overhaul I guess! Glad you kept the little door in the big service module. 

j4zBkX5.pngl8IrAd9.png

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

22 hours ago, Machinique said:

New engines look great for NFLV! Are the old (methalox) engines getting moved to Cyroengines, or just cut for now?

Cut, come back in cryoengines when I want to work on them. 

1 hour ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

The exhaust FX on these engines look fantastic, are you processing your screenshots at all or is this just how good the game looks now? Haven't had a chance to actually load it up in a while...

Great update as always!

I put a lot of work into making the plumes nice. Those screenshots are just the mod, plus TUFX for a little bloom

1 hour ago, Dreinakh said:

Where should I put the "NearFutureMethalox" folder? Standard location in "Gamedata" does not work for new version :(

I mean, it does, but the old engines are soft deprecated so you have to either re-enable them in configs or use parts list trickery (search by bulkhead)

19 minutes ago, Dreinakh said:

@Nertea I used new parts from a freshly installed mod. Archive downloaded from Github. Game version 1.9.1 from Steam.

2020-05-03-010223-1920x1080-scrot.png 2020-05-03-010220-1920x1080-scrot.png 2020-05-03-010213-1920x1080-scrot.png 2020-05-03-010207-1920x1080-scrot.png 2020-05-03-010204-1920x1080-scrot.png 2020-05-03-010200-1920x1080-scrot.png 2020-05-03-010155-1920x1080-scrot.png

Those are all LF/O engines and have no LCH4 versions. Like I said, the oldLCH4 engines are gone now. 

1 minute ago, Nertea said:

Those are all LF/O engines and have no LCH4 versions. Like I said, the oldLCH4 engines are gone now. 

Now I understand. Thank you for such a quick and accurate answer :)

Probably meaningless, but just in case it isn't - in each one of these localization files (along with many other localization files people seem to write, so... maybe this is a feature? beats me!), there are missing closing curly braces at the end of the file:

GameData\NearFutureConstruction\Localization\es-es.cfg
GameData\NearFutureElectrical\Localization\de-de.cfg
GameData\NearFutureElectrical\Localization\en-us.cfg
GameData\NearFutureElectrical\Localization\es-es.cfg
GameData\NearFutureElectrical\Localization\pt-br.cfg

3 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Probably meaningless, but just in case it isn't - in each one of these localization files (along with many other localization files people seem to write, so... maybe this is a feature? beats me!), there are missing closing curly braces at the end of the file:

GameData\NearFutureConstruction\Localization\es-es.cfg
GameData\NearFutureElectrical\Localization\de-de.cfg
GameData\NearFutureElectrical\Localization\en-us.cfg
GameData\NearFutureElectrical\Localization\es-es.cfg
GameData\NearFutureElectrical\Localization\pt-br.cfg

I only have NFConstruction (and am not using the Spanish localization), but prompted by your post, a quick look into the file confirms/ can expand on this: in GameData/NearFutureConstruction/Localization/es-es.cfg, there is a pair of closing braces right in the middle of the file.

The other localization files look to be correct.

Updated NFLV to 2.0.1:

• Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.16.0 for real this time.
  • Fixed cost and mass of double-length 7.5m fuel tank
  • Increased node size on ER-L1 engine mount so they're visible under the bumps
  • Fixed some inconsistencies in node cost/mass on some cluster mounts
  • Moved top and surface attach nodes on Orca engine when Compact variant is selected
  • Adjusted node for ER-U1 engine mount's shroud variants
  • Fixed rotation of stupid garbage stock smoke plumes of garbage
  • Added patches for CCK compataiblity (HorusAK)

@Nertea I was wondering if it would be possible to compress all the NFP tanks into one range of tanks and allow them to be switched between the different resources. That wasn't really a good explanation of what I was thinking, so I'll try with some visual stuff v

Spoiler

So there's all the Xenon tanksXenon Tanks

And I was thinking if it would be possible to use variants to use just one set of resources (eg the Xenon) and then switch the resources to, say, argon v

Argon Tanks

Heya, hope you're not sad anymore. :)

The file GameData\NearFutureConstruction\Parts\Truss\truss-octo\truss-octo-angled-crew-01.cfg has a typo in it, "ode_attach" instead of "node_attach".
Came across it while investigating other stuff, thought I'd mention it.

Have a nice day!

So... I installed the NFLV near future methalox patch, but none of the engines appear to have switched from Liquid Fuel to Liquid Methane, despite it being an available resource on tanks.

15 minutes ago, Mountain Parrot said:

So... I installed the NFLV near future methalox patch, but none of the engines appear to have switched from Liquid Fuel to Liquid Methane, despite it being an available resource on tanks.

Did you even bother to read the page above and/or the first page in the thread before posting?The new engines are NOT THE SAME as the old engines; methalox patch affects ONLY the old engines and NOT the new ones.

Write your own methalox patch if you want to, it isn’t difficult as you can use the existing patch and just change the part names and ISPs for each to match the new engines.