[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

18 hours ago, JSlone said:

Hello Nertea, Gotta say huge fan! Love the detail you always put into your mods! Huge fan of small details and you always knock it outta the park! Anyway, i use a bunch of the near future tech like the spacecraft one, and i recently downloaded the lauch vehicles and the MK IV mod. but when i loaded KSP only narwald and proteus from space crafts remained. all the others like phoebe and the rest were missing? i'm not sure what else from the mod is gone but i noticed the landing legs are still there. But I just thought i'd ask if you'd ever heard of this issue before. I removed the launch vehicles mod but kepts the MK 4. and they are still gone. Also i can't seem to get rastorprop to work in the mk 4? Im using CKAN for all this, if that helps btw. Thanks for you time!

try to download the mods manually with up to date dependencies, then it should work

I'm sorry i'm such a fool.. X'(, i just realized one of the mods came with community tech tree, and it placed most of the command pods that i had previously already unlocked in new nodes that i don't have unlocked so i couldn't see them. They're still there just now relocked in a farther out R&D Node. Lol, what a foolish mistake. Sorry to trouble ya.

Will we ever see those cargo bays get plane versions? Rotating them to be used as fuselages makes the navball off-center, also, any chance of massive wings and similar control surfaces, and make it easy to, you know, mirror the thing without the mirrored side going upside down, also a 7.5 metre cockpit would be awesome, along with landing gear that are integrated into fuselages, cockpit and wings, with the option to toggle them to be there or not. I know its 'space program' and not 'air force' but the planes are lacking badly.

2 hours ago, MirrorsareHard154 said:

Will we ever see those cargo bays get plane versions? Rotating them to be used as fuselages makes the navball off-center, also, any chance of massive wings and similar control surfaces, and make it easy to, you know, mirror the thing without the mirrored side going upside down, also a 7.5 metre cockpit would be awesome, along with landing gear that are integrated into fuselages, cockpit and wings, with the option to toggle them to be there or not. I know its 'space program' and not 'air force' but the planes are lacking badly.

Nertea keeps a  list of projects he's thinking of working on in his development thread, but I'll let you know right now that more spaceplane parts aren't on that list.

There are some other mods out there that can help fill that niche though. Nertea's own MKIV Spaceplane System:

and Orbital Portal Technologies:

2 hours ago, MirrorsareHard154 said:

well we have MK IV planes, I sadly don't know what you mean with the first point, wings would be cool, particulary thick wings, because you could still kitbash big wings with small thick wings, 7.5m cockpit would maybe be too big, if ever, a 5m plane cockpit or a 3.75m cockpit would be better IMO, landing gear in fuselages would be a bit ''not-legoable'' IMO because you could just use seperate landing gear.

2 minutes ago, TBenz said:

Nertea keeps a  list of projects he's thinking of working on in his development thread, but I'll let you know right now that more spaceplane parts aren't on that list.

There are some other mods out there that can help fill that niche though. Nertea's own MKIV Spaceplane System:

and Orbital Portal Technologies:

yeah

8 hours ago, MirrorsareHard154 said:

Your best bet is to use OPT plane parts. You're never going to see circular plane parts greater than 2.5m, and circular spaceplane bodies have a serious aerodynamic flaw or more (which is known well by anyone who tries to make or fly a Skylon). OPT K and the MkIV body can hold 3.75m cargo and are lifting bodies unlike any Skylon-derived design.

A space program has plenty to do with the atmosphere, aerodynamics and aircraft. You will meet the term "Aerospace" frequently, which means the involvement of both aero and space in whatever's going on, and SpaceX Starship is a shining example of that.

On 3/7/2021 at 4:38 AM, MirrorsareHard154 said:

Sorry, I don't have any interest in doing any of those.

Updated NFLV to 2.1.3

• Updated DeployableEngines to 1.3.0
  • Updated Waterfall compatibility to be much better, using new 0.6.0 features
  • Fixed Manatee, Walrus atmosphere curves
  • Fixed decoupler FX on some parts
  • Adjusted some engine core effects to look better

22 minutes ago, KawaiiLucy said:

I've looked at NFLV's extra folder for methalox patches on LFO engines, but the naming of the patched parts doesn't match any of the mods engines... am I missing something, or is the config not ready yet?

It’s a remnant of old versions with references to depreciated engines, and does nothing. It should probably be removed now to prevent confusion, especially now that CryoEngines Methalox exists.

@Nertea
I am cooking up a capacitor auto-discharge solution (toggleable, slightly configurable) for my own needs, would that be something you'd like to take a look e.g. in a PR? Not sure if it wasn't implemented so far simply because there wasn't enough time/resources/demand or they are supposed to stay fully manual in this mod.

Some screens so far (gotta play with it for a few days)
GUI:
j30tg1H.png
Launchpad testing logs with a VASIMR engine (varying thrust over time):
gX0yKId.png

Edited by dzikakulka

On 3/16/2021 at 5:46 PM, dzikakulka said:

@Nertea
I am cooking up a capacitor auto-discharge solution (toggleable, slightly configurable) for my own needs, would that be something you'd like to take a look e.g. in a PR? Not sure if it wasn't implemented so far simply because there wasn't enough time/resources/demand or they are supposed to stay fully manual in this mod.

Some screens so far (gotta play with it for a few days)
GUI:
j30tg1H.png
Launchpad testing logs with a VASIMR engine (varying thrust over time):

I used to have automation (for all of a month or two). The problem was that automation fundamentally just meant the capacitors were perfect batteries with 8x charge per mass which just made them ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

Anyone know how bad 1.11.2 broke mods?  Anymore I dont even trust the small updates not to decimate my molded game.

Seems fine to me. 

NF Electrical 1.2.2

• Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 2.2.2
  • Reverted some USI patch changes
  • RTG half life is now calculated correctly for other star systems, config value is specifically in Kerbin years.
  • Reactor life display is now calculated correctly for other star systems
  • Some code cleanup
Edited by Nertea

15 hours ago, Nertea said:

I used to have automation (for all of a month or two). The problem was that automation fundamentally just meant the capacitors were perfect batteries with 8x charge per mass which just made them ridiculous. 

Well, "automation" isn't really strategically managing anything - it's basically clicking a thing every 10 seconds, which just saves the tedium and UI clutter. Personally I think micromanaging capacitors doesn't have any fun/depth, so if they are overpowered when done right, they should  simply have more drawbacks but still don't require babysitting :)
I guess it's an idea for an "addon" plugin then :)

Edited by dzikakulka

Sooo, the mods are great, but I have one complaint -

The F.L.A.T. reactor is super hard to cool. :mad:

I'm depending on it to power my VASMIR engine to get to Bop and Eeloo, so pls help :( 

Edited by SpaceX_Boi

1 minute ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I recommend getting Nertea's Heat Control mod.

It is in his signature and here.

It provides some much better radiators than stock.

Ok, thanks! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Convert-o-tron is not using fuel tank if it is over no crossfeed parts. It is not obeying resource transfer crossfeed rule. It is OFF in my settings.

i9IdaaL.png

My mining rover is built using no crossfeed parts like M-Beam and structural parts, and it is not filling fuel tank since Near Future Technology is installed. Again, my crossfeed obey rule is OFF. I don't know which module is modifying  convert-o-tron's function. Ore tanks are working OK though.

Is this an NFT bug? I'll go quick fix my mining ships using External Fuel Duck. I'm so happy with EVA construction, even with many problems.

Hi,

Loving all the mods, but there is just one very tiny teensy thing that has been bugging me. Would it be possible to flip the z-800 battery pack's thumbnail's rotation? I know it's nothing major but it just seems out of place with the blank gray backside showing  compared to other radial batteries.