[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

26 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

for the amazing work on these mods, I made a NF soup for you!

3F0eOkE.png

cn8SKvd.png

v93BVfO.png

Kerbchamp

screenshot762.png

That gold service module and engines look like new parts, if im wrong what are they then? they look cool

1 hour ago, Souptime said:

That gold service module and engines look like new parts, if im wrong what are they then? they look cool

I'm not sure about the engines, but the service module appears to be a NFEX probe bus amalgamation.

3 hours ago, Souptime said:

Kerbchamp

screenshot762.png

if these are ions they can't be that new since I didn't experience a NFP revamp since my time observing the NF mods even before I made a account

Those are old parts, just a better picture that I took when I was playing that looked cool.

Added NFP 1.3.3:

• Fixed missing curly boi in VASMIR Waterfall patch which broke effects for various versions
Edited by Nertea

4 hours ago, BigLadChad said:

I'm having an issue where the parts from these mods don't show up in the editor when I load the game? Any solution?

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, but in the absence of details, it's difficult to diagnose the problem without resorting to guessing.  Might I suggest you read the post at the link in my sig block and post a link to your player.log file (from a session that demonstrates the problem) and perhaps a screenshot of your GameData directory.  We'll work from there.

What kind of game:  Career, Science or Sandbox?  Are you sure that you installed the mods correctly?  How did you install the mods and where did you put them?  Did you rename any folders in GameData?

I'm positive we can resolve this.

Generally yes, deleting the relevant cfg will prevent the part from loading. I don't recommend deleting whole folders, they may contain other files that may be referenced by other parts. AFAIK KSP won't load models/textures unless they are referenced by a part config, so you won't get any benefit from deleting the whole folder.

4 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Generally yes, deleting the relevant cfg will prevent the part from loading. I don't recommend deleting whole folders, they may contain other files that may be referenced by other parts. AFAIK KSP won't load models/textures unless they are referenced by a part config, so you won't get any benefit from deleting the whole folder.

Unfortunately this is not correct, KSP loads all assets regardless of whether they are used.

15 hours ago, Grimmas said:

God but why... Ugh. OK in that case let me revise that statement, if you know the assets aren't needed then it's better to delete the assets too.

Blacklist feature of ReStock to the rescue!

27 minutes ago, rebel-1 said:

So how do I remove unnecessary parts? Is deleting or renaming the .cfg file extensions enough?

I recommend Janitor’s Closet. 

This allows you to go into the VAB and Alt+Right Click parts from the list that you want to block. When you have finished blocking the parts that you no longer wish to have, use the “broom and dustpan” button in the toolbar to “PermaPrune” all the files related to that part. Next time you boot up KSP, the game will not load those files, saving you some texture overhead.

This has several advantages to deleting parts from the file explorer: it lets you do it in game and see exactly what you are deleting rather than guessing from file names, and it still preserves the original file which you can manually restore later in case you regret deleting something.

15 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

I recommend Janitor’s Closet. 

This allows you to go into the VAB and Alt+Right Click parts from the list that you want to block. When you have finished blocking the parts that you no longer wish to have, use the “broom and dustpan” button in the toolbar to “PermaPrune” all the files related to that part. Next time you boot up KSP, the game will not load those files, saving you some texture overhead.

This has several advantages to deleting parts from the file explorer: it lets you do it in game and see exactly what you are deleting rather than guessing from file names, and it still preserves the original file which you can manually restore later in case you regret deleting something.

I know about him. I've been trying it for several years now. Yesterday I tried again, and again it does not work for me. Previous conversations with the author did not lead to anything. The mod just doesn't work and that's it.

4 minutes ago, rebel-1 said:

I know about him. I've been trying it for several years now. Yesterday I tried again, and again it does not work for me. Previous conversations with the author did not lead to anything. The mod just doesn't work and that's it.

It does, I use it, as do others.  I do not remember any previous conversations, but would be happy to review with you whatever is going on.

Start off with how you installed it, and please provide log files

Janitor's Closet works for me too, I've been using it for a while. Though the PermaPrune function is not that great since it doesn't check whether the part is currently in use on any vessel before it gets pruned, and because it's an 'all or nothing' deal that renames all parts that are fully blocked, and won't let you pick and choose. JC is more useful for cutting down on part list clutter, for the great filter functionality, and for its ability to tell you which part came from which mod.

Sorry if this has already been asked (I searched, but I couldn't find a previous answer). I have some ships that use solarpanel-blanket-4 and solarpanel-deploying-1x4-3 from (a earlier?) version of the Near Future Solar  and the battery-375 from  the Near Future Electrical. Have those part been removed? I cannot find them in the new version and without them I loose my ships.

Thank you

Quick search on Github shows that those parts were deprecated and eventually deleted on Nov 4, 2019 so that was quite a while ago. Your options would be to accept the destruction of those vessels and re-launch them with updated parts, revert to an older version of the mod, or download the config/model/texture files of those parts from Github and re-add them to their previous locations (which will probably work fine but may require some manual editing of the part configs).

Edit: in theory I guess you could also try to edit your save and replace them with similar parts. Though this is a really good way to mess up your save, so at least make a backup first.

Edited by Grimmas

10 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Quick search on Github shows that those parts were deprecated and eventually deleted on Nov 4, 2019 so that was quite a while ago. Your options would be to accept the destruction of those vessels and re-launch them with updated parts, revert to an older version of the mod, or download the config/model/texture files of those parts from Github and re-add them to their previous locations (which will probably work fine but may require some manual editing of the part configs).

Edit: in theory I guess you could also try to edit your save and replace them with similar parts. Though this is a really good way to mess up your save, so at least make a backup first.

Seems you are quite right. I would not edit the save file since, as you pointed out, this is the best way to get things broken. I will probably use te KSP approach when they deprecate parts: I will install them and hide them from the VAB. Couldn't this be a good approach also for this packages? In this way people will not loose their ships while not beeing able to build new ones with old parts.

Edit: I see that this is wat was done before removing.

Edited by NightSky

Uhm, there is something that does not work, since I cannot make KSP see the files even if I add them. I'm I forgetting something here (e.g. it is not enough to add the file to the folder) or it is just an incompatibility issue with KSP 1.11?

Edit: got it to work by modifying the .cfg file to point to the 3d model path.

Edited by NightSky

The only grievance I have with NF Spacecraft is that some of the pods tend to taper inwards near the bottom, which makes it kinda awkward to fit a heat shield, and they often tend to overheat during re-entry because of that exposed portion not protected by the shield. Which is a shame, because some of them look really nice, but it's just hard to use them when there's a chance they could explode.

After a while away from KSP I have not started playing again. I just discovered this add on.

I have a few questions though. There are some very nice command modules included. However I am a bit challenged building spacecraft out of them. I would like to know from the more experience players here how to:

= Have both parachutes, a coupler, and a fairing up front.

- What makes a good service module.

Any good examples floating around?