[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

On 11/3/2020 at 10:49 PM, Nertea said:

1) I don't know a lot about MKS's parts, but looking at this patch I see a need for 100 kW of cooling, not 2000 kW. You might consider uploading the ModuleManager cache file to look at. 

2) DBS support depends on a collaboration of mod authors (unless it's really easy and I can hack it myself). If you want to see it, ask the developer to talk to me and we can work out the best way of adding support for things. 

Re 1) Sure. Here is a screenshot of the problem, here is a list of my mods, and here is the MM cache (too big for pastebin). If you want me to upload some other file, let me know.

Re 2) I'm fairly sure RoverDude doesn't need me of all people to tell him to talk to you. You are both well known in this community, while I registered last week. Besides, if you have an interest in making DBS more useful, you know where to find him. 

17 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Re 1) Sure. Here is a screenshot of the problem, here is a list of my mods, and here is the MM cache (too big for pastebin). If you want me to upload some other file, let me know.

It appears that sometime in the last few updates, the USI part module changed so it is not getting removed correctly by the NFE patch. You end up seeing both reactors on those parts (look in the screenshot you provided, you see the Fdssion Reactor is fine). This can be fixed next update. 

17 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Re 2) I'm fairly sure RoverDude doesn't need me of all people to tell him to talk to you. You are both well known in this community, while I registered last week. Besides, if you have an interest in making DBS more useful, you know where to find him. 

The thing is, I don't exactly have an interest. I make mods that I like, and supporting other people's mods, for me (I don't have the time) isn't great unless there is a player demand. To my knowledge you're the first one to ask for MKS support. 

That's fine, it's your mod so you're free to do with it what you want of course, just as I am free to use or not use it. I wanted to bring the issue to your attention, since MKS is quite popular, as your mods are, but I don't care about it past that :)

And yea that's what I've been thinking, both reactors are on there after the patch. Not sure why the cooling amount increased 10x as a result, but if you'll be fixing it in the next release then that's great.

Edit: it seems that DBS also doesn't work with stock rover wheels. That's probably something you may want to address.

Edited by Grimmas
didn't want to double post

Hi everyone, can someone help me please? I would like to have the solar panel "K12-K 1x4 Concentratig Photovoltaic Panel" of NF Solar not only deployable but also retractable. Which CFG exactly do I have to change and what do I have to build in there? Thank you so much!

47 minutes ago, Tranquil said:

Hi everyone, can someone help me please? I would like to have the solar panel "K12-K 1x4 Concentratig Photovoltaic Panel" of NF Solar not only deployable but also retractable. Which CFG exactly do I have to change and what do I have to build in there? Thank you so much!

@Tranquil It should be pretty straightforward.  I would recommend patching it as opposed to changing the original config as that will allow you to bring the patch along with you to a new save or it should survive an update.  The general framework is

@PART[partName]:AFTER[NearFutureSolar]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]
	{
		@retractable = true
	}
}

You can easily find the part name by using 

Once that is written in a text file, just name the file AnythingYouWant.cfg and place it in a folder within GameData.

Edited by hemeac

4 hours ago, Kepler452b said:

Does the latest version support ksp1.8?

I believe most of the NF mod suite should work on 1.8. However, 1.10 has brought changes to the way fairings work. So the fairings in NFLV may not work properly in 1.8.

2 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

For the Pandora pod, what's the small nub on the 1.25m side for? Is there a part that's meant to go on there?

The Pandora is based on a proposed Russian spacecraft design, the ACTS.

On the real design that bulge is probably avionics, sensors, and other command and control instruments. In game it is just for looks.

Edit: Also looks like it housed the thrusters for attitude control; Nertea’s design opts to put them somewhere more useful for gameplay.

Edited by lemon cup

Have I mentioned that I like the NFEx bus parts?  They make for nice-looking satellites:

tgFa4x8.jpg

I noticed a small cosmetic thing, though: the material's ambient parameter seems to vary between parts.

vXWMYyc.jpg

The CYL probecore is lighter than the other two parts, and although it's not as obvious, the ADPT bus is slightly lighter than the CYL bus.

(Hardly counts as a bug since it doesn't really affect anything, but I noticed so I figured I might as well point it out.)

14 hours ago, Wyzard said:

Have I mentioned that I like the NFEx bus parts?  They make for nice-looking satellites:

tgFa4x8.jpg

I noticed a small cosmetic thing, though: the material's ambient parameter seems to vary between parts.

vXWMYyc.jpg

The CYL probecore is lighter than the other two parts, and although it's not as obvious, the ADPT bus is slightly lighter than the CYL bus.

(Hardly counts as a bug since it doesn't really affect anything, but I noticed so I figured I might as well point it out.)

Yeah I can check that at... some point. Bah, so many things. 

8 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Will NFA cause issues on older versions? I'm playing on 1.9.1 and its listed as 1.10 only on CKAN?  

I don't believe anything in NFA itself will break, but you should make sure that any dependencies are for 1.9.1 if possible. CKAN may handle that automatically, but you could ask in the CKAN thread to double check.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I was wondering if somebody can help me with the antenna dishes and reflectors? I know that if I point feeder or antenna in a dish the dish will boost its performance. I am just trying to understand by how much? So far I have unlocked only the small dish which says it provide 9M buff. 9M of what and buffs by 9M what? Also as I play with outer planet mod I am hoping some of the antenna from the Exploration pack will help with signal. Personally I don't like to stack them to increase range  (hate that mechanism) so are there any antennas that by itself can cover OPM planets?

40 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

You mean the mechanism where you increase the surface area of your signal sensor and that increases your signal sensing range?

Might as well have one sensor of adequate area rather then 10 of them spammed on the vessel :). However, I get your point. 

Any suggestion on how the feeder antennas work and dishes? How much are those dishes effective in boosting the signal and can I point for example 3 feeders at one dish? I am just trying to get idea on how to use them, descirptions say they are quite strong but Antenna Helper disagrees.

2 hours ago, seaces said:

Might as well have one sensor of adequate area rather then 10 of them spammed on the vessel :). However, I get your point. 

Any suggestion on how the feeder antennas work and dishes? How much are those dishes effective in boosting the signal and can I point for example 3 feeders at one dish? I am just trying to get idea on how to use them, descirptions say they are quite strong but Antenna Helper disagrees.

I'm never sure of what level of support Antenna Helper provides for reflectors. The numbers shown in the part tooltip are additive to the base range number in the feeder, with a multiplier for how 'feeder-like' the antenna is. 

3 hours ago, seaces said:

Try my CommNet Calculator in my signature. If you can set up one of your vessels with a reflector in my sheet and compare the vessel power with Antenna Helper that'd be helpful. I know that my sheet works correctly with NF:Ex antenna calculations so its probably a good benchmark to test it against.

Edited by Poodmund

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Try my CommNet Calculator in my signature. If you can set up one of your vessels with a reflector in my sheet and compare the vessel power with Antenna Helper that'd be helpful. I know that my sheet works correctly with NF:Ex antenna calculations so its probably a good benchmark to test it against.

Hi @Poodmund I have loaded quick sandbox and tried testing this. So Antenna Helper reads the power of F-RA to be 3250 while your sheet is reading that number to be 5000 so I am not sure which is correct. These numbers are without reflector dishes. Now to test my theory that Antenna Helper can read properly configured reflector I added RFL-2000 to F-RA and suddenly in Antenna Helper the numbers changed and I could reach to Plock with signal at max distance to be around 14%, not bad with direct connection and single antenna.

Now I know that this thread is not about Antenna Helper but I am just trying to figure this out and see how can I make best use of these awesome looking new parts made by @Nertea

FYI @Nertea I love your command pods and their built-in engines, makes landing super easy, even on Kerbin without parachutes :P.

The F-RA has a power of 5000: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureExploration/blob/master/GameData/NearFutureExploration/Parts/Antenna/nfex-antenna-feeder-relay-1.cfg

With a RFL-2000, its additive in this respect, so the power of those two totals to 5,000,000,005,000. With that combo and the DSN Level 3, you'll get between 33-73% signal strength at Plock.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

The F-RA has a power of 5000: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureExploration/blob/master/GameData/NearFutureExploration/Parts/Antenna/nfex-antenna-feeder-relay-1.cfg

With a RFL-2000, its additive in this respect, so the power of those two totals to 5,000,000,005,000. With that combo and the DSN Level 3, you'll get between 33-73% signal strength at Plock.

aha, thank you. This now makes sense. It would seem that Antenna Helper is somehow not reading correct values, they are bit more pessimistic. Anyway thnx on the nice calculator simple and effective.