[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

4 hours ago, Omnipius said:

There seems to be an issue with the USI reactors following the recent update to NFE. Now, the reactors show two instances of "Fission Reactor" converters, each with it's own Start/Deactivate and Reactor Control Panel buttons. One of these seems to activate the NFE core life tracking and the other activates electric generation. The real issue is that the two different converter instances show wildly different stats that appear to be impacting part performance.

If there's a bug here, I'm the one to blame, since I'm the one who submitted a bunch of changes to NFE's USI integration patch.  However, I'm not seeing what you're describing.  The 1.25m USI reactor has a single Fission Reactor module in the VAB part description, a single "Start Reactor" button in flight, and a single entry in the reactor control panel.  I'm using the latest NFE release, and the latest MKS (which includes the USI reactor pack).

The file that adds the NFE mechanics to the USI reactors is called NFElectricalUSI.cfg, in NFE's Patches folder.  It removes the uranium->EC converter and replaces with NFE's Fission Reactor and Fission Generator components.  It only adds one of each, though.  If you have two instances of NFE's Fission Reactor component on the part, it sounds like you may have two copies of NFElectricalUSI.cfg sitting around somehow.

5 hours ago, Omnipius said:

There seems to be an issue with the USI reactors following the recent update to NFE. Now, the reactors show two instances of "Fission Reactor" converters, each with it's own Start/Deactivate and Reactor Control Panel buttons. One of these seems to activate the NFE core life tracking and the other activates electric generation. The real issue is that the two different converter instances show wildly different stats that appear to be impacting part performance.

For example:

The USI 1.25m Reactor now shows 3 separate stat blocks of:

Fission Generator - 200 EC/s

Fission Reactor - Required Cooling: 9kW, Inputs: EnrichedUranium 0.01/day, Outputs: DepletedFuel 0.01/day, EC 115/s, XenonGas 0.00/day

Fission Reactor - Required Cooling: 150kw, Inputs: EnrichedUranium 0.01/day, Outputs: DepletedFuel 0.01/day

When you operate this same reactor, the reactor control panel says it's max output is 12.3 EC/s! What is this? A reactor for ants?

So, something is broken, though I'm not sure if its on the USI or NFE side. I'll try reverting to an earlier version of NFE for now to see if that sorts out the issue.

Are you sure you don't have any remnants of an old build from either mod hanging around? I had a user PR make a bunch of changes to the integration to tweak some minor things, I guess it's possible something broke. 

26 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh, ok.  I just asked him about updating CKAN with the same info

You should read the FAQ!

Q: CKAN Support Questions?
A: Talk to CKAN folks, CKAN is not supported.

3 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Are you sure you don't have any remnants of an old build from either mod hanging around? I had a user PR make a bunch of changes to the integration to tweak some minor things, I guess it's possible something broke. 

You should read the FAQ!

Q: CKAN Support Questions?
A: Talk to CKAN folks, CKAN is not supported.

@Nertea I am working with it.  I _am_ part of the CKAN folks, and am trying to be respectful of your wishes.  All I asked was your permission to update the link to the web page.  Based on this response and an earlier one, I'll go ahead and do it.

Hi! I'm getting NullRefs from NearFutureElectrical.

I'm using a USI reactor. 

Module FissionReactor threw during OnFixedUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at NearFutureElectrical.FissionReactor.DoFuelConsumption () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at NearFutureElectrical.FissionReactor.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Here's the rest of the log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1414175/ksp/output_log-nfe-nre.zip

3 hours ago, Wyzard said:

If there's a bug here, I'm the one to blame, since I'm the one who submitted a bunch of changes to NFE's USI integration patch.  However, I'm not seeing what you're describing.  The 1.25m USI reactor has a single Fission Reactor module in the VAB part description, a single "Start Reactor" button in flight, and a single entry in the reactor control panel.  I'm using the latest NFE release, and the latest MKS (which includes the USI reactor pack).

The file that adds the NFE mechanics to the USI reactors is called NFElectricalUSI.cfg, in NFE's Patches folder.  It removes the uranium->EC converter and replaces with NFE's Fission Reactor and Fission Generator components.  It only adds one of each, though.  If you have two instances of NFE's Fission Reactor component on the part, it sounds like you may have two copies of NFElectricalUSI.cfg sitting around somehow.

No extra copies that I was able to find and reverting to NFE 0.8.2 does correct the issue.

One thing that I noticed is that the 0.8.2 version of NFElectricalUSI.cfg has an easily readable structure whereas the 0.8.3 version appears to be one giant run-on line. Maybe that's what's causing the problem? The text is right, but the structure of lines and indents somehow got lost in the released copy?

11 minutes ago, Omnipius said:

No extra copies that I was able to find and reverting to NFE 0.8.2 does correct the issue.

One thing that I noticed is that the 0.8.2 version of NFElectricalUSI.cfg has an easily readable structure whereas the 0.8.3 version appears to be one giant run-on line. Maybe that's what's causing the problem? The text is right, but the structure of lines and indents somehow got lost in the released copy?

That's just unix vs windows line endings.

I think I found the problem - the pull request I accepted removed a couple of key lines in the cfg. I'll make a fix later today or tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Actually, you're absolutely right. I found an old USI to NFE cfg that was removed from MKS in November. Removing that fixed the issue. Sad to see the Xenon production go away though.

16 minutes ago, Nertea said:

That's just unix vs windows line endings.

I think I found the problem - the pull request I accepted removed a couple of key lines in the cfg. I'll make a fix later today or tomorrow. 

Ah ha! I guess this is why the old file hanging around wasn't an issue in 0.8.2.

55 minutes ago, omelaw said:

is there any difference in USI reactors and NFE reactors should I know about?

By default, they work off of completely different mechanics. But NF Electrical ships a conversion patch that makes the USI Reactors use NFE's reactor plugin. They are also given completely new stats, specifically chosen so as to complement the NFE set and offer additional options to the player.

(The patch is also perfectly safe to delete for those people who prefer to use the USI reactors as they are.)

Edited by Streetwind

4 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

I'm using a USI reactor. 

Module FissionReactor threw during OnFixedUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at NearFutureElectrical.FissionReactor.DoFuelConsumption () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at NearFutureElectrical.FissionReactor.OnFixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Here's the rest of the log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1414175/ksp/output_log-nfe-nre.zip

Unable to reproduce. All I'm seeing are the leftover debug calls that Nertea is already fixing. Not a single error when faffing around with the patched USI reactors.

Please create a new instance with only NF Electrical and UKS, reproduce the problem there, and provide us with either detailed reproduction steps or a savegame with an affected craft.

Edited by Streetwind

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Nertea

The following Spacedock entry is still pointing to the old, lost thread:

Near Future Spacecraft: http://spacedock.info/mod/708

Not until it's updated. 

5 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

I'm using a USI reactor. 

Can you check to see if @Omnipius's solution is yours as well?

I'll make sure to restore the old-USI-patch cleaning lines in the next update just in case. 

Not sure that's necessary tbh. The patch as it is looks good, apart from missing ":NEEDS[ReactorPack]:AFTER[UmbraSpaceIndustries]" tags.

EDIT: welp, looks like MM doesn't filter for subfolders. Guess It'll have to be ":NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries]" then, though that isn't ideal because people might have USI mods without the reactors included. Not like that breaks anything, but it's not... not... ELEGANT!   =[

Edited by Streetwind

It's not needed but could be helpful if someone still has an old patch file around. The bits that were omitted were as follows:

!MODULE[FissionReactor]{}
!MODULE[FissionGenerator]{}
!MODULE[RadioactiveStorageContainer]{}

Which just made sure to clean up any versions of those modules that were patched by USI before. 

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

It's not needed but could be helpful if someone still has an old patch file around. The bits that were omitted were as follows:

!MODULE[FissionReactor]{}
!MODULE[FissionGenerator]{}
!MODULE[RadioactiveStorageContainer]{}

Which just made sure to clean up any versions of those modules that were patched by USI before. 

FWIW, I deleted  those lines because USI no longer ships the NFE integration patch that adds those modules, so it shouldn't be necessary to remove them. But I hadn't considered that if people upgrade mods by just overwriting files, without removing the old folder first, they may still have USI's old integration patch sitting around even though it's not actually in the current version. I didn't notice the problem in my own testing since I always remove the old version of a mod before installing a new one.

So, yeah, it makes sense to put those lines back. Sorry for the mix-up.

53 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

FWIW, I deleted  those lines because USI no longer ships the NFE integration patch that adds those modules, so it shouldn't be necessary to remove them. But I hadn't considered that if people upgrade mods by just overwriting files, without removing the old folder first, they may still have USI's old integration patch sitting around even though it's not actually in the current version. I didn't notice the problem in my own testing since I always remove the old version of a mod before installing a new one.

So, yeah, it makes sense to put those lines back. Sorry for the mix-up.

No worries, I thought it was fine too. Better safe than sorry I guess.

14 hours ago, Nertea said:

Can you check to see if @Omnipius's solution is yours as well?

Which is what exactly? Sorry, it's not clear to me from his post what his solution was.

Anyway, I removed the file "NFElectricalUSI.cfg" from GameData/NearFutureElectrical/Patches, and I don't get the Null-Ref anymore. The downside is, now the reactor isn't controlled by NFE anymore, but by USI's simplistic reactor mechanic.

15 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Unable to reproduce. All I'm seeing are the leftover debug calls that Nertea is already fixing. Not a single error when faffing around with the patched USI reactors.Please create a new instance with only NF Electrical and UKS, reproduce the problem there, and provide us with either detailed reproduction steps or a savegame with an affected craft.

Weird, can reproduce it reliably over here. Maybe the message is hidden in your log file from the debug messages? Try using the Search function with the term "NullReferenceException" to find it.

I can't do "only NF Electrical and UKS", but I can do NFE and UKS with their respective depencies.

Here's the GitHub Issue I just created: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureElectrical/issues/48
Here's a minimal save file for quick reproduction (please rename to .sfs): https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureElectrical/files/735181/nfe-use_nre.sfs.txt
Here's the full log, this time with the minimum mods installed: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureElectrical/files/735180/output_log.txt
Here's the file listing for my GameData directory, excluding Squad: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureElectrical/files/735201/gamedata-filelist-nosquad.txt

Edited by Kobymaru

1 hour ago, Kobymaru said:

Which is what exactly? Sorry, it's not clear to me from his post what his solution was.

Check whether you have an UmbraSpaceIndustries/ReactorPack/USI-ReactorNFE.cfg file, and delete it if you do.  That file was removed from USI mods back in November, but you may still have it sitting around from an earlier installation.

(And put back the NFElectricalUSI.cfg file that you removed.  It's the replacement for USI-ReactorNFE.cfg.)

Edited by Wyzard

16 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

Check whether you have an UmbraSpaceIndustries/ReactorPack/USI-ReactorNFE.cfg file, and delete it if you do.  That file was removed from USI mods back in November, but you may still have it sitting around from an earlier installation.

Thanks, but I do not have such a file. I still get the NullRef, from a fresh install.

I guess it's not big deal, since apparently the reactor still works.