[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

24 minutes ago, Nertea said:

@failurecascade: I installed NFElectrical, NTRsUseLF and KerbalAtomicsNFE in my 1.3.1 install. I loaded up your save to test, switched to 'Minmus shuttle', with the following results:

1) Reactor on full power, engine full power. No temperature climb, everything steady at 3405-3507K.

<image deleted for brevity>

2) Reactor on full power, engine off. Instant temperature climb as expected.

<image deleted for brevity>

3) All systems off (no screenshot) , temperature decays slowly, all good.

So I'm at a loss here - everything behaves just fine. I also tested various combinations of both engine modes, which also showed all expected behaviours.

I might recommend you wait for an official release (maybe Thursday) and then report back?

@Nertea  -  Will do.  I'll try again with the Thursday release code.  Appreciate you taking the time to look at it anyway.  :)

1 minute ago, Streetwind said:

What @RaiderMan is asking is if a future 1.3.1 release will be backwards compatible with 1.3.0.

The answer to that is, I'm afraid, "no support for past versions". It may work, but it's not guaranteed.

Everytime a new point release of KSP (i.e. 1.3.1 after 1.3.0) was out I have my routine to make a copy/paste of my KSP install and then looking mod for mod what's working and what's not.

This way I have a stable/fallback KSP install and a new one. But I've seen modders releasing their mods only for the point release, might work too.

hope this adds in help.

Yikes. I just launched KSP after a long while. It looks like it was updated to 1.3.1 some time (Steam). So even minor point updates break some mods?I. I admire the modders' persistence. If it was me, I would have given up on my mods. I guess, I'll need to go back to not playing KSP for another long while :( Good luck!

Edited by Kerbital

22 hours ago, SilverlightPony said:

Usually some of them, yes.  This is why it's recommended that folks who got KSP from Steam copy the game folder elsewhere and mod the copy, while leaving the Steam installation stock/unmodded.

Yes, I did this last time, when I was playing KSP more.

Near Future Propulsion 0.9.5

• KSP 1.3.1
  •  Dependency updates
  •  Add support for RLA Sunrise ion engine

Near Future Electrical 0.9.6

•  KSP 1.3.1
  •  Dependency updates
  •  Fixed localization breaking nuclear fuel transfer and reactor repair
  •  With NFE patch, if integrated engine is inactive, disable auto-adjustment curve

Near Future Solar 0.8.7

•  KSP 1.3.1
  •  Dependency updates

Near Future Construction 0.8.4

• KSP 1.3.1
  • Dependency update
  • Fix 30 degree angle attach node on pressurized octo-truss

Near Future Launch Vehicles 1.1.2

• KSP 1.3.1
  • Dependency update
  • Increased max temps from 1200 to 2000 for many tank parts
  • Increased breaking force/torque for 5m parts from 200 to 350
  • Increased breaking force/torque for 7.5m parts from 200 to 450
  • Increased thruster power of atmospheric RCS parts, flattened Isp curve
  • Increased fuel capacities of all 7.5m parts by 50%
  • Fixed incorrect volume tag on all 7.5m fuel tanks
  • Fixed mesh offset for 5m guidance core
  • Fixed small mesh offest for 5m cargo nosecone
  • Fixed incorrect volumes for 5m nosecone
  • Reduced fuel capacity of 5m skeletal adapter by 75%
  • Reduced fuel capacity of short 5m adapter by 50%

Note the omission of Near Future Spacecraft. The ETA on that pack is unknown, it has to be deployed in conjunction with SSPX and Mk4 due to changes to the prop package. However, you can continue to use the current version in 1.3.1 with no problems or upgrade issues. 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:25 PM, failurecascade said:

@Nertea  -  Will do.  I'll try again with the Thursday release code.  Appreciate you taking the time to look at it anyway.  :)

@Nertea - I tested the new release, with the same result.  After re-reading your previous response, I note that your description of "normal" is different than my experience even in KSP 1.3.  Not only does heat dissipation occur with different actions, but heat builds far more quickly for me in 1.3.1.

To illustrate, I prepared two saves, one in KSP 1.3 with the previous Near Future releases and the other in 1.3.1 with your latest releases.  The following are corresponding imgur albums with results and test steps (not sure how to embed albums), along with output logs and game saves.  Same craft, and mostly the same five steps...

1.3 test steps:  https://imgur.com/a/TTojs  (includes Gamedata folder image with NF version numbers)

1.3 output log:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/5urm4l1vbueg7cx/1.3 NF Test - output_log.txt?dl=0

1.3 game save:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk99htq1iwb3ys5/1.3 NF Test 01.zip?dl=0

1.3.1 test steps:  https://imgur.com/a/MtuXZ  (includes Gamedata folder image with NF version numbers)

1.3.1 output log:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4hx9foqe0mmt5g/1.3.1 NF Test - output_log.txt?dl=0

1.3.1 game save:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqesyvbrqx58qz6/1.3.1 NF Test 01.zip?dl=0

If what I'm seeing for 1.3.1 is expected behavior*, just let me know.  I only mentioned it because it was a clear difference from behavior under KSP 1.3.

* = or if this whole problem is giving you a headache

19 hours ago, Nertea said:

With NFE patch, if integrated engine is inactive, disable auto-adjustment curve

If this is regarding the NFE-Kerbal Atomics nuclear thermal rockets, auto-adjustment still happens when engine is inactive. The configs for this particular behavior is in the Kerbal Atomics mod.

10 hours ago, failurecascade said:

@Nertea - I tested the new release, with the same result.  After re-reading your previous response, I note that your description of "normal" is different than my experience even in KSP 1.3.  Not only does heat dissipation occur with different actions, but heat builds far more quickly for me in 1.3.1.

To illustrate, I prepared two saves, one in KSP 1.3 with the previous Near Future releases and the other in 1.3.1 with your latest releases.  The following are corresponding imgur albums with results and test steps (not sure how to embed albums), along with output logs and game saves.  Same craft, and mostly the same five steps...

1.3 test steps:  https://imgur.com/a/TTojs  (includes Gamedata folder image with NF version numbers)

1.3 output log:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/5urm4l1vbueg7cx/1.3 NF Test - output_log.txt?dl=0

1.3 game save:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk99htq1iwb3ys5/1.3 NF Test 01.zip?dl=0

1.3.1 test steps:  https://imgur.com/a/MtuXZ  (includes Gamedata folder image with NF version numbers)

1.3.1 output log:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4hx9foqe0mmt5g/1.3.1 NF Test - output_log.txt?dl=0

1.3.1 game save:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqesyvbrqx58qz6/1.3.1 NF Test 01.zip?dl=0

If what I'm seeing for 1.3.1 is expected behavior*, just let me know.  I only mentioned it because it was a clear difference from behavior under KSP 1.3.

* = or if this whole problem is giving you a headache

That behaviour in the album looks exactly right to me... What seems weird about it to you?

5 minutes ago, shynung said:

If this is regarding the NFE-Kerbal Atomics nuclear thermal rockets, auto-adjustment still happens when engine is inactive. The configs for this particular behavior is in the Kerbal Atomics mod.

Uh, no, that's in this mod. This is a plugin-level change and occurs in the NFE dll. 

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Uh, no, that's in this mod. This is a plugin-level change and occurs in the NFE dll

Nevertheless, the integrated reactor's power in the Kerbal Atomics NTR still follows throttle settings despite the engine being inactive (i.e. not thrusting). I didn't get the error message that says to use KSP 1.3 regarding NFE, so I'm pretty sure I got the newer version.

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

That behaviour in the album looks exactly right to me... What seems weird about it to you?

Which behavior?  The 1.3.1 screenshots?

What seems weird is that it's different than in 1.3, both in terms of when heat is dissipated and the rate at which temperature increases.  If the 1.3 behavior was incorrect and 1.3.1 is correct, then I'll just spam a few more radiators and move on.  :P

6 minutes ago, failurecascade said:

Which behavior?  The 1.3.1 screenshots?

What seems weird is that it's different than in 1.3, both in terms of when heat is dissipated and the rate at which temperature increases.  If the 1.3 behavior was incorrect and 1.3.1 is correct, then I'll just spam a few more radiators and move on.  :P

I'm on mobile so hard to explain well.

1. When you turn off the engine heat dissipation does not zero immediately, it slowly decreases to give you time to react. This was added a few versions ago.

2. When this is done the temperature will increase fairly fast because thermal mass has to be low and 20kw undissipated is still 20kw

3. Heating is a little faster in 1.3.1 because a bug was fixed.

3 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I'm on mobile so hard to explain well.

1. When you turn off the engine heat dissipation does not zero immediately, it slowly decreases to give you time to react. This was added a few versions ago.

2. When this is done the temperature will increase fairly fast because thermal mass has to be low and 20kw undissipated is still 20kw

3. Heating is a little faster in 1.3.1 because a bug was fixed.

#3 is what was really messing with me.  I did not know about a bug fix that affected heat.  Good thing my actual career includes KIS/KAS.  Some lucky Kerbal engineer has an orbital radiator-spamming EVA mission in their future.  :cool:

Thanks for your help!

4 hours ago, shynung said:

I'll try with a fresh install with only NFE and Kerbal atomics installed. I'll get back to you with the results later.

No don't worry about it. Looks like build process flubbed the last commit so the change wasn't built in the release. Will fix when I can sorry.

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

No don't worry about it. Looks like build process flubbed the last commit so the change wasn't built in the release. Will fix when I can sorry.

Eh, no biggie. I'll disable it in the NFE-KA patches, and babysit the reactor as usual. :)

Edited by shynung

Does anyone else have any issues with the Octo-trusses? The purely structural trusses and ones with pressurized crew parts are fine, but the other types (fuel, electric, monopropellant?) are all meshed into two parts, each trying to draw from multiple textures. Also right clicking does nothing to them (can't adjust what's in them). 

@Gibster That sounds like you're having a problem with the copy of B9PartSwitch you have installed - either a mismatch between the mod version and KSP version or a mis-install.

NFC 0.8.4 is working fine for me with KSP 1.3.1 and B9PartSwitch 1.10.0.

Post a link to a copy of your log files and someone here might be able to find the problem ("How to get support" thread)

12 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

@Gibster That sounds like you're having a problem with the copy of B9PartSwitch you have installed - either a mismatch between the mod version and KSP version or a mis-install.

NFC 0.8.4 is working fine for me with KSP 1.3.1 and B9PartSwitch 1.10.0.

Post a link to a copy of your log files and someone here might be able to find the problem ("How to get support" thread)

I don't have B9partswitch installed. Do I need to install it? The only other mods I have installed are Near Future Solar, KW Rocketry, Kerbal Alarm clock, Kerbal Engineer, and DMagic Orbital science. I'll still post a copy of my log files when I have the time. 

13 minutes ago, Gibster said:

I don't have B9partswitch installed. Do I need to install it? The only other mods I have installed are Near Future Solar, KW Rocketry, Kerbal Alarm clock, Kerbal Engineer, and DMagic Orbital science. I'll still post a copy of my log files when I have the time. 

Yep: It's bundled with NFC for a reason.  It's a required dependency: It does the resource/mesh switching.

On 10/15/2017 at 4:31 AM, sh1pman said:

Is it supposed to add lens flare to engine exhaust? In my game scatterer doesn't really do anything to engine effects.

It's a joke that seems to have slipped by many people, I aligned the sun behind the engine. 

36 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Anywhere you downloaded the mod, there should have been an included copy of B9PartSwitch. As I only include critically required dependencies, that's something that you should ensure is installed. This is also clearly mentioned in the readme. If a dependency was missing somewhere, please let me know where from so I can correct that. 

NFE 0.9.7

- Fixed a bundling issue, actually resolving with NFE patch, if integrated engine is inactive, disable auto-adjustment of reactor throttle

Edited by Nertea