[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Hi guys! I am getting a NullReferenceException when using MKS/USI Nuclear Fuel Containers:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at NearFutureElectrical.RadioactiveStorageContainer.GetResourceAmount (System.String nm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at NearFutureElectrical.RadioactiveStorageContainer.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

416271d6-1e08-11e7-8752-fae65df1515e.png

Here is the GitHub Issue: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureElectrical/issues/70

Does anyone else notice this?

Hi guys, i have some very strange bug, when i try use reactors after WARP it's look like reactor start burn fuel very fast, and do it until burn all fuel what he must burn if he work all time during WARP, after this he proceed work as always.

ztdno8.jpg

2vach08.jpg

List of mods:

"AGExt"
"Chatterer"
"CryoEngines"
"Constellations"
"NearFuturePropulsion-LowThrustEP"
"CryoTanks"
"DeepFreeze"
"EVAParachutes"
"Graphotron"
"Kalculator"
"KAS"
"KerbalAircraftExpansion"
"KerbalAlarmClock"
"KerbalAtomics"
"KerbalAtomics-NFECompatibility"
"KerbalEngineerRedux"
"TACLS"
"KerbalJointReinforcement"
"KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems"
"KIS"
"Kopernicus"
"KerBalloons"
"SpaceY-Expanded"
"USITools"
"MechJeb2"
"Mk2Expansion"
"Mk3Expansion"
"NearFutureConstruction"
"QuizTechAeroPackContinued"
"PersistentRotation"
"NearFuturePropulsion"
"NearFutureProps"
"NearFutureElectrical-DecayingRTGs"
"NearFutureSolar"
"NearFutureSolar-Core"
"NearFutureSpacecraft"
"PersistentThrust"
"NearFutureElectrical-Core"
"NearFutureElectrical"
"RasterPropMonitor"
"ModularFlightIntegrator"
"RSSTextures8192"
"SafeChute"
"SCANsat"
"Soylent"
"SpaceXLegs"
"StationPartsExpansion"
"IndicatorLights"
"KerbalFoundriesContinued"
"TALSphericalToroidalPack"
"TweakScale"
"UbioWeldContinued"
"UniversalStorage"
"XenonISRU"
"Toolbar"
"CommunityTechTree"
"AmpYearPowerManager"
"TriggerAu-Flags"
"ModuleManager"
"ModularFuelTanks"
"B9PartSwitch"
"CommunityResourcePack"
"DeployableEngines"
"REPOSoftTech-Agencies"
"FirespitterCore"
"FirespitterResourcesConfig"
"RetractableLiftingSurface"
"CommunityCategoryKit"
"RealChute"
"MalemuteRover"
"TACLS-Config-Stock"
"BDAnimationModules"
"RasterPropMonitor-Core"
"KSPWheel"
"InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core"
"WaterSounds"
"DMagicOrbitalScience"
"Mk3HypersonicSystems"
"RealSolarSystem"
"kOS"
"BOSSContinued"
"JX2Antenna"
"BetterTimeWarpCont"
"BonVoyage"

P/s

Sorry for bad english.

Pp/s

Nertea thanks for great mods!

Edited by eech
Forget to say some thanks

1 hour ago, eech said:

Hi guys, i have some very strange bug, when i try use reactors after WARP it's look like reactor start burn fuel very fast, and do it until burn all fuel what he must burn if he work all time during WARP, after this he proceed work as always.

Welcome to the forums! :)

So, the way to trigger this is basically "put a reactor in space, turn it on, time warp so it automatically shuts down, and then turn it on again"?

We need this tested in a clean fresh install with only NFE, because a.) you have a few mods that might get messy with the NFE plugin, and b.) you're using a CKAN installation, which isn't officially supported. You can try to test this yourself, or I can try doing it tomorrow evening - but I would need precise reproduction steps from you.

It sounds like you're describing resource catchup behaviour, but your screenshot isn't clear in showing this.

• What did the reactor state look like right before you entered warp?
  • How long did you warp for?
  • What did the reactor state look like before you exited warp?
  • What did the reactor state look like after you exited warp?

51 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Welcome to the forums! :)

So, the way to trigger this is basically "put a reactor in space, turn it on, time warp so it automatically shuts down, and then turn it on again"?

We need this tested in a clean fresh install with only NFE, because a.) you have a few mods that might get messy with the NFE plugin, and b.) you're using a CKAN installation, which isn't officially supported. You can try to test this yourself, or I can try doing it tomorrow evening - but I would need precise reproduction steps from you.

Thanks!

Seems like all ok on fresh install only with NFE.

31 minutes ago, Nertea said:

It sounds like you're describing resource catchup behaviour, but your screenshot isn't clear in showing this.

• What did the reactor state look like right before you entered warp?
  • How long did you warp for?
  • What did the reactor state look like before you exited warp?
  • What did the reactor state look like after you exited warp?

Hi!

Q: What did the reactor state look like right before you entered warp?

A: Was fresh never work before.

Q: How long did you warp for?

A: No matter, even few hudred days enough.

Q: What did the reactor state look like before you exited warp?

A: Was fresh.

Q: What did the reactor state look like after you exited warp?

A: As new.

P/s

I change my spacecraft UT in save file, and look like all work normal after this, before this i try set 99999999 uranium and reactor burn and burn it over and over again his life cycle start over and over again like it try burn as much fuel as he must burn for time in warp.

Pp/s

Look like "BetterTimeWarp" mod provoke this bug, just install it with NFE on fresh KSP and get this bug again, it's look like NFE mod still think what WARP proceed even if it stop, when it work with "BetterTimeWarp".

Edited by eech
Just add few more words.

By what does the state look like I meant screenshots of the reactor menu, window and stuff at each of those time points.

I actually don't do anything with the fuel consumption, that's all handled by stock resource converter code. I don't know how BetterTimeWarp would disrupt this, perhaps the current maintainer @linuxgurugamer could chime in?

31 minutes ago, Nertea said:

By what does the state look like I meant screenshots of the reactor menu, window and stuff at each of those time points.

I actually don't do anything with the fuel consumption, that's all handled by stock resource converter code. I don't know how BetterTimeWarp would disrupt this, perhaps the current maintainer @linuxgurugamer could chime in?

Hmm, look like when i click and choose hyper warp, this number is change in 100 times! After this hyper warp reactor start eat fuel like mad.28jv0a9.png63va6s.png jpz9s9.pngznx9vs.png

Edited by eech
Fix some typos.

7 hours ago, eech said:

Hmm, look like when i click and choose hyper warp, this number is change in 100 times! After this hyper warp reactor start eat fuel like mad.

The item you circled on your screenshots is not a fuel consumption figure. It's the time warp auto-shutdown threshold. If you warp higher than this, the reactor turns itself off to save fuel. The reason it changes is because BetterTimeWarp changes the time warp steps to be larger than in stock, so of course, the shutdown threshold increases as well (though you can manually reduce it - it's a slider after all).

I can do some tests with and without BetterTimeWarp tonight.

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

The item you circled on your screenshots is not a fuel consumption figure. It's the time warp auto-shutdown threshold. If you warp higher than this, the reactor turns itself off to save fuel. The reason it changes is because BetterTimeWarp changes the time warp steps to be larger than in stock, so of course, the shutdown threshold increases as well (though you can manually reduce it - it's a slider after all).

I can do some tests with and without BetterTimeWarp tonight.

Will be nice.

This slider stop working after hyper warp. You can move it but it look like this do nothing.

P/s 

Look like "TimeControl" mod provoke same bug when WARP with speed above 1000000, at least on 1500000 this bug start show up.

Edited by eech
Add few more words.

15 hours ago, Nertea said:

Hi, so we (I) need to know the options you have set in Better Time Warp (BTW).

Are you using the default warp rates?

Are you using Lossless physics?

And can you please list a set of specific steps, starting at the Space Center, on how to trigger this bug?  If you want  upload a craft file as well, and please, please, please upload a log file.

6 hours ago, eech said:

This slider stop working after hyper warp. You can move it but it look like this do nothing.

I just tested this, and the slider continues to work, as long as you have it enabled.  I did several warps, using the default hyperwarp settings.  First I set the slider to 10, and the generator stopped as soon as I started the warp (because 1st warp step was 10).  Then I moved the slider to 100, started the generator, and started warping, again, ti stopped when warping at 100.  Then I did it at 1000, and it continued to work.

6 hours ago, eech said:

ok like "TimeControl" mod provoke same bug when WARP with speed above 1000000, at least on 1500000 this bug start show up.

Makes sense, they both do the same thing

43 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just tested this, and the slider continues to work, as long as you have it enabled.  I did several warps, using the default hyperwarp settings.  First I set the slider to 10, and the generator stopped as soon as I started the warp (because 1st warp step was 10).  Then I moved the slider to 100, started the generator, and started warping, again, ti stopped when warping at 100.  Then I did it at 1000, and it continued to work.

Makes sense, they both do the same thing

Oh sorry then, i don't know what those slider just turn off reactor when you warp on setted speed, in such case it's work like intended.

Edited by eech
Few more words.

19 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I probably won't have time to do any more testing at high warp rates until this evening, but, a log file and a detailed set of step will be helpful in tracking this down

Here my step list:

1. Lunch game, with only NFE and BetterTimeWarp, 64-bit, steam version, clear install from steam.

2. Start new career in sand box, normal, default settings.

3. Go to VAB and build "craft" simplest possible (in my case RC-L01 RGU core + MX4 garnet reactor + termal control system (large)).

4. Lunch "craft".

5. Click on BetterTimeWarp mod's arrow, and choose Hyper warp.

6. Warp 1 year and 217 days on highest default speed (in my case 1E+07X)

7. Use reactor control GUI to turn reactor ON.

8. Reactor turn ON and start eat fuel like mad.

Edited by eech
Fix some typos.

How do you avoid running out of electricity (needed to turn on the reactor) while in time warp?

I added a couple of solr panels, and was able to see the issue one time, no idea why yet.

It didn't happen the 2nd or 3rd time I tried, will continue looking into it

Edited by linuxgurugamer

51 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I assume you mean launch, not lunch :D

Ok. So, you stop timewarp before turning on the reactor?

Assuming this, I'll look at it this evening

Lol.

40 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

How do you avoid running out of electricity (needed to turn on the reactor) while in time warp?

I added a couple of solr panels, and was able to see the issue one time, no idea why yet.

It didn't happen the 2nd or 3rd time I tried, will continue looking into it

I not avoid, NFE GUI can turn reactor on even w/o electricity or network connection, it's kinda small cheat. GUI i mean menu which open when you press NFE GUI button on right side of screen.

21e4109.png

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I experienced this issue in BetterTimeWarp way back in KSP1.0.5 (maybe even earlier), with one of the NFE reactors. I would turn the reactor off, warp for some time and then the next time I turned the reactor on it would guzzle fuel like crazy. IIRC it was only when using warp speeds that were faster than stock, I "fixed it" by not using BTW anymore. When I get home in a few hours I'll dig out the old craft file and see if I can reliably reproduce it again and get a log for you.

16 minutes ago, Gorby1 said:

I experienced this issue in BetterTimeWarp way back in KSP1.0.5 (maybe even earlier), with one of the NFE reactors. I would turn the reactor off, warp for some time and then the next time I turned the reactor on it would guzzle fuel like crazy. IIRC it was only when using warp speeds that were faster than stock, I "fixed it" by not using BTW anymore. When I get home in a few hours I'll dig out the old craft file and see if I can reliably reproduce it again and get a log for you.

Thanks, but no need, I've been able to reproduce this.

But since 
TimeControl seems to do the same thing, it may not be BTW

This is a bug in KSP, you can see it by doing the following:

1. Launch game, with only NFE and either BetterTimeWarp or TimeControl, 64-bit, steam version, clear install from steam.
  2. Start new career in sand box, normal, default settings.
  3. Go to VAB and build "craft" simplest possible (in my case RC-L01 RGU core + MX4 garnet reactor + thermal control system (large)).
  4. Launch "craft".
  5. Click on BetterTimeWarp mod's arrow, and choose Hyper warp, if using TimeControl, change one of the warp rates to be 10000000
  6. Warp 2-3 years on highest default speed (in my case 1E+07X)
  7. Wait 60 seconds
  8. Use reactor control GUI to turn reactor ON.
  9. Reactor turn ON and fuel usage will be normal

@Nertea I'm going to send you a PM with some more specifics

6 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Thanks for saving me the time needed to track this down :)

It was a real pain.  But once I was able to duplicate it with TimeControl, I realized it had nothing to do inside the mods themselves.

I'm trying to see if I can have BTW fix the issue now

Edited by linuxgurugamer