[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

1 hour ago, ev0 said:

No plans for larger SRBs to match the larger tanks, then?

A new mod out of left field. Awesome work!

I am not hugely excited because I already use the SpaceY sets, and they do include some big SRBs and a few other useful bits such as the nose cones with built in separation rockets. It would be rather neat if they were available as an SRB set, or you could do a bit of careful pruning yourself.  The Janitor's Closet looks good for helping with this.

If you don't already use the bigger boosters, either set looks good, and big SRBs look a bit old-fashioned anyway. The basic tech was an obvious advantage for ballistic missiles, and you could argue that the Kerbals just didn't go that way. To be honest, if I were starting from scratch, either set would be good. Both come from competent people, with enviable reputations. I shall certainly give this set a try.

13 minutes ago, Wolf Baginski said:

I am not hugely excited because I already use the SpaceY sets, and they do include some big SRBs and a few other useful bits such as the nose cones with built in separation rockets. It would be rather neat if they were available as an SRB set, or you could do a bit of careful pruning yourself.  The Janitor's Closet looks good for helping with this.

If you don't already use the bigger boosters, either set looks good, and big SRBs look a bit old-fashioned anyway. The basic tech was an obvious advantage for ballistic missiles, and you could argue that the Kerbals just didn't go that way. To be honest, if I were starting from scratch, either set would be good. Both come from competent people, with enviable reputations. I shall certainly give this set a try.

SpaceY the basic set isn't wanting to work for me right now in 1.3 for some reason. I keep getting crashes when trying to compile the stack separators. I've posted over there but haven't heard anything, if it is working for you, do you think you'd possibly be able to help me?

6 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

I've always been partial to KWRocketry, pruned so that I only have the larger parts. Half because of that new and powerful rocket sound it has. But I love Nertea's models so I'll definitely give these a try as well!

15 hours ago, Wyzard said:

BTW, looking through stuff in the tech tree, I noticed that the NR-12800 fuel tank shows a #LOC tag in its description field.

Thanks, should be resolved in the next version.

11 hours ago, ev0 said:

No plans for larger SRBs to match the larger tanks, then?

SRBs are kinda boring and I don't think there's any interesting futuristic designs for them (just odd alternate history ones).

2 hours ago, captainb said:

Do the engine plumes look like that out of the box or do you need Real Plume?

All out of the box.

3 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

@Nertea You got a shout-out on the official KSP Facebook page for your new mod, congrats! Already digging in and whew, are they pretty.

Oh cool, and the tweetbox!

4 hours ago, FellipeC said:

The LT-POD legs act weird here... Take a look:

Maybe someone can fix this for me. I tried for ages and that was the best compromise... at least they work now.

22 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Maybe someone can fix this for me. I tried for ages and that was the best compromise... at least they work now.

Sorry, I thought was some problem with my KSP install or something like that, not a real problem with the mod.

Since you're asking for help, I'll study about landing legs and try to figure out what happens. I can't promise a result, but I'll try.

@Nertea

Can you kindly try this mm patch?

@PART[landingleg-pod-1]
{
		@MODULE[ModuleWheelSuspension]
	{
		@suspensionDistance = 0.5
		@suspensionOffset = -0.65

@targetPosition = 1
		@springRatio = 7
		@damperRatio = 1.0
		boostRatio = 0.6
	}
}

Small issue that's probably only aesthetic: the RE-4 Buzzard engine's bell isn't aligned/symmetrical with respect to the the top attach node of the engine. Seems like the whole engine is offset a little to one side of that central axis.You can see this if you rotate the engine when attaching it.

Probably doesn't matter, but if the engine transform matches the visual model and not the axis of the attach node...

21 hours ago, HoveringKiller said:

SpaceY the basic set isn't wanting to work for me right now in 1.3 for some reason. I keep getting crashes when trying to compile the stack separators. I've posted over there but haven't heard anything, if it is working for you, do you think you'd possibly be able to help me?

No specific help, but it might be a memory problem. Remove some other medium-size Mod, and see if it loads, or crashes at a different point. As long as you don't then load a saved game, it shouldn't break anything. If the crash is at a different point, you can be pretty sure it is not the specific component. This is why I am a bit picky about which larger parts sets I use, I don't want to overload my hardware. I don't much use the IVA option, and some part sets are heavy on that side.

17 hours ago, FellipeC said:

@Nertea

@PART[landingleg-pod-1]
{
		@MODULE[ModuleWheelSuspension]
	{
		@suspensionDistance = 0.5
		@suspensionOffset = -0.65

@targetPosition = 1
		@springRatio = 7
		@damperRatio = 1.0
		boostRatio = 0.6
	}
}

I'll have a look.

17 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Small issue that's probably only aesthetic: the RE-4 Buzzard engine's bell isn't aligned/symmetrical with respect to the the top attach node of the engine. Seems like the whole engine is offset a little to one side of that central axis.You can see this if you rotate the engine when attaching it.

Probably doesn't matter, but if the engine transform matches the visual model and not the axis of the attach node...

Looks like it should just be visual, but I'll resolve it anyways.

Hello @Nertea, thanks for the brand new Launch Vehicles mod!!

I have noticed the following small issues:

- The fuel tanks NR-12800 and NR-25600 behave strangely when you try to surface attach them even though, it is ok when you try to surface attach other things to them.

- NR-12800 also has its description missing.

NF Launch Vehicles 1.0.1

•  Added Spanish translation courtesy of fitiales
  •  Fixed localization issue on EX-M25 cluster mount
  •  Fixed localization issue on NR-12800 Fuel Tank
  •  Fixed surface attach nodes on several 5m fuel tanks
  •  Fixed cost of 5m nosecone being too high
  •  Fixed upper endcap and attach node of EA-S20 adapter being positioned slightly too high
  •  Fixed texture warping issue on EA-S20 adapter
  •  Fixed mass not being decreased correctly in Energia cluster mount's single configuration
  •  Changed base symmetry of Energia cluster mount to 2x instead of 6x
  •  Normalized upper stage engine gimbal ranges to 2 degrees, lower stages to 4 degrees
  •  Fixed incorrectly specified gimbal on the RE-4
  •  Fixed NRE on load on the RE-4
  •  Fixed a model centering issue on the RE-4

On 7/7/2017 at 5:34 PM, FellipeC said:

Though technically this makes it not extend past the end of the pods, it introduces significant jumping and flickering when retracting on the ground and in orbit, which is very not ideal.

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

Though technically this makes it not extend past the end of the pods, it introduces significant jumping and flickering when retracting on the ground and in orbit, which is very not ideal.

Yes, too hard to figure out best values without really understanding what they really do.

@Nertea, may I suggest a pair of additional RCS thruster configurations for NF Spacecraft?

• A variant of the RX-15T that has a top nozzle in addition to the bottom one, and
  • A variant of the RX-45 that lacks a top nozzle.

I've had design situations where both of those would've been useful.

(It might also be occasionally useful to have an RX-45 variant with no top or bottom nozzle, just the side ones, though I don't think I've ever had a need for that personally.)

Loving the new launch vehicles pack. Noticed a tiny ~7.5 degree change in alignment on the 'cap' tank (EA-F96) texture versus the bigger tanks. And on the EA-S10 adapter. It's only an aesthetic thing but does break the clean visuals when stacking tanks, especially the EA-F96. 

Was it to match the guidance computer and EX-M25 mount? Those work because of the added symmetries in the texture.

Okie dokes, back to making big ships.:D

Edited by Weywot8