[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

4 minutes ago, Orbiter Space Program said:

dose the purpolshion have PURE electric engines? 

No, you need something with mass as a propellant.  Xenon, Lithium, etc.  It's a basic limitation in the game physics.  (And real life for that matter - if you say 'momentum' instead of 'mass'.)

2 minutes ago, DStaal said:

No, you need something with mass as a propellant.  Xenon, Lithium, etc.  It's a basic limitation in the game physics.  (And real life for that matter - if you say 'momentum' instead of 'mass'.)

electricity, ELECTRICITY, electric engines, use, ELECTRICITY, I want to know if there are and engines that use JUST ELECTRICITY, sorry for the caps.

9 minutes ago, Orbiter Space Program said:

electricity, ELECTRICITY, electric engines, use, ELECTRICITY, I want to know if there are and engines that use JUST ELECTRICITY, sorry for the caps.

please read your quoted text again, engines based on electricity ONLY would be rather unconventional but very much useless!
Unless you bundle it to create a Star Trek - like Warp-Bubble, but thatfor you might want this mod: Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone)

Edited by LatiMacciato

18 minutes ago, Orbiter Space Program said:

NO    That is not reallistic. You might as well just turn on "Infinite Fuel" in the cheat menu, and Infinite electricity so you don't need a reactor or cooling.

Edited by Jimbodiah

you know what, I give, I guess I will try to make a ship that can land and take off a planet, which is really hard, because I suck at landing, plus the ship is meant for missions like stranded kerbals in rockets and space stations, and transferring of kerbals, and a bunch of other stuff.

That is where the challenge is. Depending on the gravity of the planet, the NFP Lithium engines could do low G bodies without atmosphere (needs a reactor and cooling). I use NFP in Real Solar System and have no problems getting around. For high-G or atmospheric bodies I still use conventional engines on LF/O or Hypergolics (SSTU), but NFP engines to move between bodies.

Edited by Jimbodiah
zpelink

1 hour ago, Orbiter Space Program said:

you know what, I give, I guess I will try to make a ship that can land and take off a planet, which is really hard, because I suck at landing, plus the ship is meant for missions like stranded kerbals in rockets and space stations, and transferring of kerbals, and a bunch of other stuff.

You know, but that is the challenge of this game. You have to design your ship around the task you wanna give it. Of course there's the cheat menu, but RL mission engineers also don't have that luxury. If you say, you suck at landing, try harder, eventually you'll learn how to do it. And mods like Kerbal Engineer and/or MechJeb can help you...

unknown.png

14 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

You know, but that is the challenge of this game. You have to design your ship around the task you wanna give it. Of course there's the cheat menu, but RL mission engineers also don't have that luxury. If you say, you suck at landing, try harder, eventually you'll learn how to do it. And mods like Kerbal Engineer and/or MechJeb can help you...

I still suck at it

Use mechjeb, it takes away 90% of the chores of launching, landing, rendez-vous, docking... I've been playing since 1.0.4 and have probably done over 10.000 launches. Doing them manualy is such a bore; I just use mechjeb and set physical time-warp to 4 until it has circularized.

Install these mods:
- Near Future Propulsion for "electrical" engines and rcs
- Near Future Electrical for reactors
- Near Future Solar for solar panels: always have some panels as backup when a reactor fails ;)
- Heat Control for better radiators
- SSTU for modular tanks and a better assortment of normal engines, comes with patches to hold NF Propulsion fuels (as well as other mods by Nertea, USI etc)
- Optionally Cryo-Engines for some engines using LH2/Ox instead of LF/O, but if you have SSTU you will not need this, although it does come with more OP tanks for LH2 compared to SSTU

Except for SSTU these are all mods made by Nertea and all are completely awesome for playing a more future-ish endgame.

Spoiler

nf_01.jpg
NF Electrical reactor, NF Propulsion engine, NF Solar round panels.  SSTU pod, Procedural parts gold tanks, KSPI radiators

A small shuttle using the NFP Lithium engine and a reactor, with around 15000dV in RSS. Enough to land on most of the moons with no atmosphere (need the radiators extended or there will be a new crater on that moon). 

nf_02.jpgNF Solar panels, Heat Control radiators, NFE reactor. Everything else mostly SSTU.   

I use the NFP section to haul gear/crew between planets, here you can see smaller NFP engines on the mining rigs that are going to Mars' moons to produce fuel (Lithium) locally, together with a cryo pod with a few new crew members (DeepFreeze mod).

nf_03.jpg
NFP engine, Heat Control panels

Here a small satellite that is mostly reactor and fuel tank.

nf_04.jpg
NF Propulsion engine, Heat Control radiators.

The front section is an SSTU part than I patched to be a small reactor and probe-core in one, but uses NFE reactor modules none-the-less. I use this for satellite contracts; has plenty of dV to go anywhere in the solar system, but launched on top of a conventional rocket to put it into earth orbit first.

Edited by Jimbodiah

13 hours ago, Errol said:

What does Dynamic Battery Storage do? Does it conflict with RealBattery?

The very opposite is the case, without DBS, RealBattery is not working properly at high warp speeds. That's why it's linked as recommend on CKAN.

13 hours ago, Blackline said:

The very opposite is the case, without DBS, RealBattery is not working properly at high warp speeds. That's why it's linked as recommend on CKAN.

Thanks for the info. I've never actually installed real battery, but it has been high on my list of must try mods once I have a working 1.4 install for a career.

Hi
I think I found an issue with OKEB 75 solar panels aerodynamic.
If mounted on the payload, they make the rocket totally ungovernable
even over 40,000 meters. The center of lift  it is placed far beyond the top of the rocket.
With Panel mounted

F2e0GkwJ_o.png

without :
xrMbKNCs_o.png

KSP 1.4.3 and far
Log: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apx9C9K7sjyIg0oRUwmzyml86h42

Edited by Simog

I know your busy bug fixing and such, but when you are ready to add content, could you look into maybe making a KRUSTY (sometimes called Kilopower) to add to Near Future Electrical perhaps?

Information about these wonderful power generators can be found here

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/demonstration-proves-nuclear-fission-system-can-provide-space-exploration-power

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/kilopower

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilopower

7 hours ago, Haze-Zero said:

could you look into maybe making a KRUSTY (sometimes called Kilopower) to add to Near Future Electrical perhaps?

That is pretty much exactly what the existing MX-0 'KerboPower' reactor represents. Even the name is directly inspired. ;)

On 5/5/2018 at 8:26 AM, Streetwind said:

That is pretty much exactly what the existing MX-0 'KerboPower' reactor represents. Even the name is directly inspired. ;)

Well, that explains why I immediately thought of the MX-0 when I heard about NASA's reactor a few days ago.  :)

5 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

good day, I wanted to ask does NFSolar have ground flat surface panels that lay low on the surface of a planet like the below pic?

There are some girder-mounted static panels without sun tracking you could use for the purpose. There are, however, no giant non-tracking ground installations. All of the larger panels track, so you cannot mount them flush against the ground unless you orient them exactly so that the sun travels along the axis they cannot track.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:30 PM, Simog said:

Hi
I think I found an issue with OKEB 75 solar panels aerodynamic.
If mounted on the payload, they make the rocket totally ungovernable
even over 40,000 meters. The center of lift  it is placed far beyond the top of the rocket.
With Panel mounted

without :

KSP 1.4.3 and far
Log: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apx9C9K7sjyIg0oRUwmzyml86h42

FAR problem. Had a look a year ago, couldn't see anything wrong, asked FAR peeps to provide information on why it might happen, never got an answer. 

On 5/6/2018 at 7:43 PM, Wyzard said:

Well, that explains why I immediately thought of the MX-0 when I heard about NASA's reactor a few days ago.  :)

What, that secondary mod goal of education actually worked? :O

The YF-1 Circular Solar Array is the closest thing I can find to what the InSight lander is using, but I'm having trouble with it: the long arm, and way it folds.

Suggestions
* Can you add a toggle for long/short arm?
* Can you add an additional way to fold, so it does not stick WAY out of the bottom of my HECS2 lander? - However InSight is doing it :)