[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

19 hours ago, Nertea said:

Probably copied them from some other part of mine with low numbers... Will address it at some point.

Cool thanks for the responce, i might twak mine to 2000 then to make reentries easier, i didnt wanna fornicate them if they where meant to be that low :P 

As always, great mod, thanks for your work!

6 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

Cool thanks for the responce, i might twak mine to 2000 then to make reentries easier, i didnt wanna fornicate them if they where meant to be that low :P 

As always, great mod, thanks for your work!

https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureLaunchVehicles/commit/c989dc53d3a9f5f4e67ebd30ee7e6da38a2d079d they'll be set to 2000 in the next release

2 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

If I may suggest something... perhaps only raise the skin temperature limit to that. You could consider it to be cooling provided by ablating off the paint or the insulation foam or something similar.

I've just started using Near Future Ships, mostly to get some modules with a larger capacity. I like the size and shape of the Mk4-1 Heavy Command Pod but that shape makes it a challenge to reenter without slapping on a larger heat shield, which messes up the aesthetic lines of the whole thing.

What do the assembled think? How do you bring this thing down without it overheating?

1 hour ago, CaptKordite said:

I've just started using Near Future Ships, mostly to get some modules with a larger capacity. I like the size and shape of the Mk4-1 Heavy Command Pod but that shape makes it a challenge to reenter without slapping on a larger heat shield, which messes up the aesthetic lines of the whole thing.

What do the assembled think? How do you bring this thing down without it overheating?

I usually use some piece (often another large command pod for large crew "training" missions) to step out to 3.5 and use a 3.5 shield with it. It can certainly be used for anything, but it seems like it's most for non-atmospheric landings and ships that stay in orbit. That being said, I definitely use it 90% of the time for those training missions out to the Mun or Minmus to plant a flag and back.

11 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

If you look hard at the context menu, you'll notice that there's a few other options for shrouds. :wink:

Sure, but then you have the entire lower half of the capsule covered, which defeats the purpose of having that nice docking port window.

Are there any future plans for the construction mod to have the crew tubes end in a T-section instead of six-sides?  Or have the six-sided variant be able to switch between 3-4-6 sided the same way the medium trusses change between tanks?

Edited by K1productions
mistake

5 hours ago, K1productions said:

Are there any future plans for the construction mod to have the crew tubes end in a T-section instead of six-sides?  Or have the six-sided variant be able to switch between 3-4-6 sided the same way the medium trusses change between tanks?

No plans, no. Those parts all needs redos though, so after SSPXr is done, I'll look at them. Bug me then.

Hello!  Thanks for the mod.

I returned to KSP recently, and after re-installing many mods, eventually discovered that most of the parts for these Near Future mods were missing.  I know that Near Future is supposed to work even without Community Tech Tree, but for some reason it was not.  I just now found the solution: Delete all files that mention CTT, such as "NFSpacecraftCommunityTechTree.cfg".  Now I can see/use the NF parts just fine.  Thought I would pass that along, in case anyone else was having my (apparently unusual) problem.

8 hours ago, Aceoaces said:

Hello!  Thanks for the mod.

I returned to KSP recently, and after re-installing many mods, eventually discovered that most of the parts for these Near Future mods were missing.  I know that Near Future is supposed to work even without Community Tech Tree, but for some reason it was not.  I just now found the solution: Delete all files that mention CTT, such as "NFSpacecraftCommunityTechTree.cfg".  Now I can see/use the NF parts just fine.  Thought I would pass that along, in case anyone else was having my (apparently unusual) problem.

Were you continuing an existing save, or starting a new one? We've not had any mention of such issues, so this is quite unusual to hear. Also, the CTT patches should all be disclaimed with a NEEDS conditional, and shouldn't even fire if it is not installed.

What is the point of the monoprop engines from NF Spacecraft? They cost more and are less efficient than regular biprop engines. I assumed that they would be more efficient and/or cost less, it would give some reason to use them.

17 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Were you continuing an existing save, or starting a new one? We've not had any mention of such issues, so this is quite unusual to hear. Also, the CTT patches should all be disclaimed with a NEEDS conditional, and shouldn't even fire if it is not installed.

This was a new save.  My only theory is that the empty CTT folder was still present in the Gamedata folder, from when I had downloaded CTT previously (prior to beginning this save).

1 hour ago, Aceoaces said:

This was a new save.  My only theory is that the empty CTT folder was still present in the Gamedata folder, from when I had downloaded CTT previously (prior to beginning this save).

Yeah, empty mod folders play havoc with the game.  If you're not using CTT, then get rid of that folder.

4 hours ago, Zekario said:

What is the point of the monoprop engines from NF Spacecraft? They cost more and are less efficient than regular biprop engines. I assumed that they would be more efficient and/or cost less, it would give some reason to use them.

You can use monopropelant stored not only in tanks, but in various pods and other parts. It can be sometimes beneficial, to have a smaller ship even if it costs you more money and propelant. Especially LV-95-6 has nice low profile, that I'm using it as a descent engine when landing on moons.

Edited by maja

Just a heads up that KPBS just added a Nuke Reactor to their mod pack. Would there be any desire to add support for this new reactor like what is done with the USI patches that are included with NF Electrical.

I tired to make my own patch to share but it caused some "undesired" heating and explosions. I'll just leave it to the experts if it's something they want to add in the future. :confused:

54 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

I tired to make my own patch to share but it caused some "undesired" heating and explosions.

I took a quick peek at the KPBS Github, and it seems like it's shipping its own compatibility patch that should trigger when NF Electrical is found installed. Is that not working for you?

https://github.com/Nils277/KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems/blob/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/PlanetaryBaseInc/ModSupport/Configs/NearFuture/NearFutureElectrical.cfg

1 minute ago, Streetwind said:

I took a quick peek at the KPBS Github, and it seems like it's shipping its own compatibility patch that should trigger when NF Electrical is found installed. Is that not working for you?

https://github.com/Nils277/KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems/blob/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/PlanetaryBaseInc/ModSupport/Configs/NearFuture/NearFutureElectrical.cfg

Gah - and I was looking for a patch that did that!

Sorry - The K&K Reactor does have the "Toggle Reactor Control" button, but it gives me a blank UI for the reactor control page. The UI button works fine with any other reactor that NF patches or is supplied with. I just figured, it wasn't supported yes as it only just got released today. I'll try to get a screenshot up in the next few mins after a first check NF and KPBS together on their own. Is there anything in the patch that is missing?

Ok - more information: tried Just NF and KPBS and getting a Unity GUI error on screen about pushing more GUIClips than you are popping and that message spams the log to the point it's 25 Mb. 

b1MV7hWl.png

Oh and by all means - let me know if this should be in the KPBS forum. I've only posted the query here as it was the reactor GUI for NF. I'm assuming I'll need to post there at some point for the end suggested fix, but thought this might be the right place to start. (Apologies if not!)

Edit: Log file here - Went into the flight scene, clicked the Reactor GUI button and immediately got out of there before the log spam got too big. Let me know if you need more info.

Edited by wile1411

1 hour ago, wile1411 said:

Ok - more information: tried Just NF and KPBS and getting a Unity GUI error on screen about pushing more GUIClips than you are popping and that message spams the log to the point it's 25 Mb. 

Oh and by all means - let me know if this should be in the KPBS forum. I've only posted the query here as it was the reactor GUI for NF. I'm assuming I'll need to post there at some point for the end suggested fix, but thought this might be the right place to start. (Apologies if not!)

Edit: Log file here - Went into the flight scene, clicked the Reactor GUI button and immediately got out of there before the log spam got too big. Let me know if you need more info.

Found the error:

will make a release with the fixed config soonishTM