[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Glad response is good, took way more work than I anticipated. IVAs..

20 hours ago, Joal ban Kluane said:

I really like your picture album. It nicely shows the parts and was quite funny to read as well. Thank you very much for this mod!

I have fun with captions sometimes.

15 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

@Nertea, just when I think I've seen the best of your work, you go and out-do yourself again...again.  That is some gorgeous work you put together! :)

Question, what are the nose protrusions supposed to be on the nose of the Mk1-X 'Phoebe' and the Mk3B 'Pandora'?

The Phoebe is a comm antenna it can function as a probe control centre so it seemed appropriate. The Pandora, you can look at the original inspiration

11 hours ago, Kablob said:

Hey, quick question, which mod are you planning on putting those docking port replacements in?

Wait and see!

11 hours ago, Hoddd9000 said:

Beautiful new pods, very well done. RasterPropMonitor screens have vanished from all pods, however. Bug or intended removal like last time?

Read the FAQ, same as last time; more renovations. Looking forward to having them back, the intereriors look just as beautiful without them though

I didn't change anything here. The FAQ has been changed to be accurate - they need RPM and ASET props, and are only valid for the 3 old pods at the moment.

10 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Wonder if I've missed something, or if it's just not possible to control the Elara's hatch doors with action groups?

I'll look into it.

9 hours ago, YourOldNerd said:

KSP 1.5.1 - Near Future Construction 1.0.4

The Grip-O-Tron Linear Docking Connection seems do not dock and parts are bouncing each other forever. The XL version seems to work (even I had to nudge it a bit).

Thanks for all the mods tho! Should be added to the official base game.

EDIT: .....er..... now I can't dock even in the XL version....

I'll look into it.

9 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I downloaded the spacecraft Sunday about noon from the dev server. Now I see you have a released version.

Is anything changed from the dev version I picked up yesterday? If not, I don't see why I should bother downloading it again....

Check the commit history, but really, always replace a dev version with a release version. 

1 hour ago, KnightmareX13 said:

Yep, just hits 412 K and stays there. Although first it will hang around 417K then toggling time warp will get it to drop to 412K but won't go any lower.

I'll look into it.

10 hours ago, Nertea said:
On 11/12/2018 at 4:47 AM, Raptor9 said:

@Nertea, just when I think I've seen the best of your work, you go and out-do yourself again...again.  That is some gorgeous work you put together! :)

Question, what are the nose protrusions supposed to be on the nose of the Mk1-X 'Phoebe' and the Mk3B 'Pandora'?

The Phoebe is a comm antenna it can function as a probe control centre so it seemed appropriate. The Pandora, you can look at the original inspiration

Never seen that craft design before. Interesting find. Still wondering what they used it for. Odd to have big off axis protrusions because they'd affect both orbital maneuvers and reentry aerodynamics. It looks like it had RCS thrusters in it in the RL version.

For the game it could be cool to put a couple of forward facing docking lights in that "chin" - or an additional piece containing docking lights that fits that spot.

Edited by Tyko

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

Never seen that craft design before. Interesting find. Still wondering what they used it for. Odd to have big off axis protrusions because they'd affect both orbital maneuvers and reentry aerodynamics. It looks like it had RCS thrusters in it in the RL version.

For the game it could be cool to put a couple of forward facing docking lights in that "chin" - or an additional piece containing docking lights that fits that spot.

The basic idea is that it reenters with chin-side 'up', and does a lifting reentry. The reentry attitude control is all in the chin, which is the 'cool' side of the pod during reentry.

4 hours ago, Tyko said:

The first idea is pretty cool. The chin is already rigged up for RPM cameras and has transforms for each of the greebles so they could be used for ranging things, etc. 

@Nertea I searched your thread and also looked at your github, for the life of me I cannot find your TU patch for Near Future Spaceraft. Can you give me a hint? Thx. :)

As a sidenote: Also considering your Near Future Spacecraft IVAs, would it not be possible to reduce the texture size from 2048x2048 to say 1024x1024 or even 512x512? Considering the shabby looks of stock ksp would it make much difference for the graphical fidelity? As another sidenote: I discovered that many mods are using way to big textures considering the texture size of stock ksp and shoddy ram management of ksp. ;)

Edited by Moofrog

On 11/12/2018 at 6:32 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Wonder if I've missed something, or if it's just not possible to control the Elara's hatch doors with action groups?

Just tried it, and it's possible; my game is not in english, so not sure of what you should have, I'll translate that by a simple "activate", no more words. If you don't have it, it could be an installation problem, and you prehaps should try to re-install it. (sorry for the clumsy english ;) )

Edited by Rawenwarcrow

9 minutes ago, Moofrog said:

@Nertea I searched your thread and also looked at your github, for the life of me I cannot find your TU patch for Near Future Spaceraft. Can you give me a hint? Thx. :)

I don't have a TU patch. I will not make such things as proper albedo, metallicity and such maps are a non-trivial thing to add!

13 minutes ago, Moofrog said:

As a sidenote: Also considering your Near Future Spacecraft IVAs, would it not be possible to reduce the texture size from 2048x2048 to say 1024x1024 or even 512x512? Considering the shabby looks of stock ksp would it make much difference for the graphical fidelity? As another sidenote: I discovered that many mods are using way to big textures considering the texture size of stock ksp and shoddy ram management of ksp. ;)

There are many free texture editing tools that can help you in your quest!

(BTW, stock KSP's texture size is atrociously large for what they are!)

2 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I don't have a TU patch. I will not make such things as proper albedo, metallicity and such maps are a non-trivial thing to add!

There are many free texture editing tools that can help you in your quest!

(BTW, stock KSP's texture size is atrociously large for what they are!)

Good to know. Would myself not know where to start with albedo, metallicity etc :D Yeah for the messed up parts I just excluded them in the TURD configs.

Yeah was already using GIMP to tone down on those sizes.

I was just wondering if it was okay for you if I gave you those smaller textures to give as alternative bundle? Wanted to ask that the other mod makers as well, otherwise I just do it manually for my local install.

(Maybe I need to find a batch editor and go through those Squad textures as well. Haha. Yes KSP its the worst. Doest not support modern technology and gobbles up a lot of ram for essentially looking ugly compared to other games its age and size.)

Found a bug with capacitors, they give more than they take when charging, I can get energy endlessly.
If you turn on the recharging mode, when the capacitors are charged from the battery and very quickly press the button for accumulated charge, I gradually charge the batteries, I only need a small initial supply of electricity, so that it is at least a little, but replenished.
Can you fix this error?

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Elkram said:

Just installed the new Near Future Spacecraft version. Man... your new pods look awesome, they are so cool. Thanks fro your hard work.

The Station parts also look really nice! Good build quality. Also like the Greenhouse parts very much.

I just dont know what my KSP version is doing with my computers memory/RAM.

I went into VAB put together a Station with Nertea's new parts. Tried to launch it and the game just almost crashes because it runs out of memory at 10Gb of gobbled up memory for essentially doing nothing. Tempted to try out Space Engine instead :(

3 hours ago, NeiroNext said:

Found a bug with capacitors, they give more than they take when charging, I can get energy endlessly.
If you turn on the recharging mode, when the capacitors are charged from the battery and very quickly press the button for accumulated charge, I gradually charge the batteries, I only need a small initial supply of electricity, so that it is at least a little, but replenished.
Can you fix this error?

Reveal hidden contents

More than a bug I would call it a exploit.

20 hours ago, Moofrog said:

Good to know. Would myself not know where to start with albedo, metallicity etc :D Yeah for the messed up parts I just excluded them in the TURD configs.

Yeah was already using GIMP to tone down on those sizes.

I was just wondering if it was okay for you if I gave you those smaller textures to give as alternative bundle? Wanted to ask that the other mod makers as well, otherwise I just do it manually for my local install.

(Maybe I need to find a batch editor and go through those Squad textures as well. Haha. Yes KSP its the worst. Doest not support modern technology and gobbles up a lot of ram for essentially looking ugly compared to other games its age and size.)

You might try going through your GameData folders and making sure you have no extraneous KSP dlls (UnityEngine.dll, AssemblyCsharp.dll and the like). Sometimes if these have been included in a mod distro it causes the game to load things > 1 time.

4 hours ago, NeiroNext said:

Can you fix this error?

Hide contents

Hah, a bug report that is an exploit. I'll look into it.

42 minutes ago, Nertea said:

You might try going through your GameData folders and making sure you have no extraneous KSP dlls (UnityEngine.dll, AssemblyCsharp.dll and the like). Sometimes if these have been included in a mod distro it causes the game to load things > 1 time.

Thank you! What other dll's should I look for?

NVM. I did not find a unityengine.dll but dozens of miniavcs dll and 3 times a ksp_dev utils dll.

Edited by Moofrog

So how does KSP handle textures again? I thought dds textures are loaded as is into the memory and are not uncompressed? And should be only uncompressed by the graphics card in the graphics memory, right?

So with a few mods installed and most textures reduced to 1k size my Gamedata folder is already 2.8gb large while 0.7gb of that are squad and squadexpansion. I guess the old saying "Kleinvieh macht auch Mist"

holds true :D:o

Edited by Moofrog

I like the new command pods with the engines!  I'll be using those.  :)

I noticed a few minor things:

• When you put Chickadee engines on a Nereid command pod,  you can't click on the engines because they're inside the Nereid's collider.  (The Tethys and Amalthea are OK.)
  • The Nereid's "mount" switcher toggles between having the engine ports open or closed, but the labels for those are "0.625m" and "Compact", which don't make sense in that context.  (The Amalthea's "shroud" switcher uses the labels "Lander" and "None", which would work well for the Nereid too.)
  • The flag decal on the Nereid cuts off some of the sides of the image.  (The stock STEADLER flag illustrates it well.)
  • The name "Amalthea" is misspelled (as "Almathea") in the Hummingbird engines' description.

9 hours ago, Moofrog said:

So how does KSP handle textures again? I thought dds textures are loaded as is into the memory and are not uncompressed? And should be only uncompressed by the graphics card in the graphics memory, right?

DDS textures remain compressed in graphics memory, because the GPU is able to directly use the compressed data for rendering.  (Other compressed formats, like PNG, aren't usable by a GPU; the file is compressed on disk but has to be decompressed into memory to get something that the GPU can use.)

Some small fixes for NF Spacecraft 1.0.1:

•  Decreased Elara body lift from 0.5 to 0.2
  •  Added action group spec to Elara hatch, added deploy limit
  •  Added toggleable docking spotlight to Pandora chin area
  •  Added a collider to the Docking monitor in the Pandora interior, if you click on it, it will change to a external view.
  •  Added consistent alternate RCS layout names to relevant pods for modder use
  •  Fixed a stray RCS thruster on the Callisto
  •  Moved Callisto flag so it doesn't obscure the surface camera.
  •  Tweaked UV of Nereid flag
  •  Fixed typo in Hummingbird engine description
  •  Moved Nereid pod colliders up a bit, fixes accessibility of engines
  •  Fixed localization of Nereid alternate engines pod versions

NF Electrical 0.10.4

•  Fixed an exploit where you could button mash the discharge capacitor button constantly for a net gain of EC
  •  Increased the minimum core temperature allowed for radioactive fuel transfer to 450 K