[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

5 hours ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

...how long do you think it would take CKAN to detect the new version?

That's kinda up to the CKAN folks, not Nertea.  Regardless, IIRC, CKAN has a six-hour cycle time but I have no idea when that starts.  I could surmise that it begins at midnight but it's just a WAG.

18 hours ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

Hello,

I was wondering if you were aware that some of the capacitors in Near Future Electrical lost their textures and appear red.

Also, I see you updated "Near Future Props" about an hour or so ago, how long do you think it would take CKAN to detect the new version?

Doesn't appear this way to me (just loaded up the game to check).

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

21 hours ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

Hello,

I was wondering if you were aware that some of the capacitors in Near Future Electrical lost their textures and appear red.

Also, I see you updated "Near Future Props" about an hour or so ago, how long do you think it would take CKAN to detect the new version?

could this be an issue with having TextureReplacer(x) or TexturesUnlimited installed?

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

2 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

could this be an issue with having TextureReplacer(x) or TexturesUnlimited installed?

I am so sorry, turns out those capacitors were from

I thought those parts belonged to Near Future mod. My sincere apologies...

16 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Had a hunch it might be. That mod grabbed the old models and had them recoloured some time ago - thought I remembered they were red. Good to see it resolved!

Sorry again, I reported the issue on their topic, hopefully it can be fixed...

But... why did you drop those models in the first place?

The SC-1250 and SC-2500 look great with all those bumps and bits, the way they're arranged and that lovely indicator on 2500.

I mean the new CAR-1.6K, CAR-8K and CAR-Extra are great too, but I feel like, all their BEAUTIFUL modelings are wasted when you squeeze those parts in between other parts. I mean I still place the new parts in between trusses so we can somehow view modelings but what I love about the SC's most; is that you can see their detailed artwork from the sides too, for compact builds.

Edited by Problemless Mods Wanter
Corrected some model names

6 minutes ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

Sorry again, I reported the issue on their topic, hopefully it can be fixed...

I don't think it's a bug to them, they just took the assets, changed the colour and named them 'Super Capacitors' (SC whatevs etc).

7 minutes ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

But... why did you drop those models in the first place?

The SC-1250 and SC-2500 look great with all those bumps and bits, the way they're arranged and that lovely indicator on 2500.

I mean the new CAR-1.6K, CAR-8K and CAR-Extra are great too, but I feel like, all their BEAUTIFUL modelings are wasted when you squeeze those parts in between other parts.

The models are pretty garbage. Besides being technically lacking (new ones are better optimized, more detailed, etc), they don't fit my art style. I've taken the overall approach that most stack parts that might be in a rocket stack (like these) should integrate better into the body, while leaving the radially attached ones to be used for craft detailing if required. The higher internal detail of the stacks works best when integrated with other hollowish parts, like service bays, most of the stack components in Restock, and my other projects. 

On 10/18/2019 at 7:22 PM, Nertea said:

So, 1.8 requires at the bare minimum a recompile of all of my projects to update the .NET version and the dll structure. One or two are probably fine, but even so they have dependencies that need to be updated. Don't expect things to work, and really don't even try them IMO. Don't expect updates before 1.8.1 either, realistically. I'm busy.  

The need to push major version updates (1.8.x updates will NOT be compatible with previous KSP versions due to the .NET version upgrade) also means that I WILL BE REMOVING THE HIDDEN DEPRECATED PARTS IN THIS UPDATE.

• NF Electrical: 3.75m battery
  • NF Solar: all the old solar panels

More perhaps, but primarily those.

I will also be using the need to spend time on this to do some renos on various things, so some packs may take longer to update than others.

@jimmymcgoochieYou may be pleased to know that (I think) I have resolved the issue while working through the update for NFE. At least, using your reproduction steps I can't get it to happen anymore.

I very much appreciate that you’re taking the time to inform us end-users of the situation!

What do good cups of coffee go for over on your end of the world? :P 

Edited by Jognt

16 hours ago, arkolis said:

@Nertea I am looking to get into modding of KSP, could I help? I really enjoy all the Near future stuff!

Good to hear! I don't really have anything suitable for someone getting into the game, but if you really want to help, pulling the dev builds that I've set up for 1.8 and testing them is always good. 

On 10/23/2019 at 1:55 PM, nwillard said:

Thanks for the update. I'm guessing this might be the end of the line for Near Future Aeronautics, unfortunately.

Why would it be? You can keep updating the dependencies yourself and it should still work. 

If it actually broke I would probably be more invested in working on it. 

13 hours ago, Nertea said:

Good to hear! I don't really have anything suitable for someone getting into the game, but if you really want to help, pulling the dev builds that I've set up for 1.8 and testing them is always good. 

Why would it be? You can keep updating the dependencies yourself and it should still work. 

If it actually broke I would probably be more invested in working on it. 

Looks like orbital-engine-0625 has an issue with b9partswitch, looks like initialization errors on secondary meshes. I tested all the Near future stuff separately and together, just have to build some rockets to do a flight test in each. Not completely new, last time I attempted modding was back in pre-1.0 decided to try and build my own game so spent several years learning game design, modeling, and texturing haven't made a game or any other project in a while so I thought breaking some of the rust with modding would be fun.

Relevant log:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Engine/orbital-engine/orbital-engine-0625/orbital-engine-0625'
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'ColliderB' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'Structure' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylA005' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylA006' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylA007' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylA008' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerA005' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerA006' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerA007' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerA008' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'ColliderB_Alt' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'StructureAlt' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylB001' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylB002' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylB003' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylB004' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerB001' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerB002' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerB003' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerB004' found
PartLoader: Part 'NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Engine/orbital-engine/orbital-engine-0625/orbital-engine-0625' has no database record. Creating.
DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'orbital-engine-0625'
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'ColliderB' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'Structure' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylA005' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylA006' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylA007' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylA008' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerA005' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerA006' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerA007' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerA008' found
DontDestroyOnLoad only works for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'ColliderB_Alt' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'StructureAlt' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylB001' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylB002' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylB003' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylB004' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerB001' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerB002' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerB003' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerB004' found

Also looks like there was a compile error with engine-rocket-pack-2.mu.

On 10/31/2019 at 2:48 PM, Callistoan said:

Have there been any parts updates or new parts?

Near Future is largely feature complete, and will be maintained as-is for the time being. Until Nertea changes his mind. Which may or may not happen. We'll see :P

On 10/25/2019 at 11:42 PM, arkolis said:

Looks like orbital-engine-0625 has an issue with b9partswitch, looks like initialization errors on secondary meshes. I tested all the Near future stuff separately and together, just have to build some rockets to do a flight test in each. Not completely new, last time I attempted modding was back in pre-1.0 decided to try and build my own game so spent several years learning game design, modeling, and texturing haven't made a game or any other project in a while so I thought breaking some of the rust with modding would be fun.

Relevant log:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Engine/orbital-engine/orbital-engine-0625/orbital-engine-0625'
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'ColliderB' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'Structure' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylA005' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylA006' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylA007' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylA008' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerA005' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerA006' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerA007' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerA008' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'ColliderB_Alt' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'StructureAlt' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylB001' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylB002' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylB003' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylB004' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerB001' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerB002' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerB003' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part unknownPart: No transforms named 'CylInnerB004' found
PartLoader: Part 'NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Engine/orbital-engine/orbital-engine-0625/orbital-engine-0625' has no database record. Creating.
DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'orbital-engine-0625'
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'ColliderB' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'Structure' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylA005' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylA006' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylA007' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylA008' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerA005' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerA006' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerA007' found
Warning on PartSubtype 0.625m on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerA008' found
DontDestroyOnLoad only works for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'ColliderB_Alt' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'StructureAlt' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylB001' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylB002' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylB003' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylB004' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerB001' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerB002' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerB003' found
Warning on PartSubtype Compact on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='meshSwitch') on part orbital-engine-0625: No transforms named 'CylInnerB004' found

Also looks like there was a compile error with engine-rocket-pack-2.mu.

I don't see any of this, can you provide more information?

Updates should be this week... almost done with Restock...

I'm thinking of doing a thing for NF Solar though in the future, let me know what you all think:

Currently solar panels are balanced based on their cell type, we have

• Basic - looks like stock (well, Restock) and has the same power/unit area and power/unit mass as stock
  • Blanket - gold backs and rounded cells, has lower power/unit area and best power/unit mass
  • Advanced - slightly rounded cell, has higher power/unit area and moderate power/unit mass
  • Concentrator - darker with fresnel lens, highest power/unit area and moderate power/unit mass

With the advent of B9PS being able to mess with modules between variants, it might be interesting to allow most panels to choose a cell type in the VAB. Deployable, curved and static panels could use

• Basic
  • Advanced
  • Concentrator

And blanket panels would have...

• Basic Blanket (blanket with standard square cells)
  • Advanced Blanket (same as current)

Appropriate cost, mass and tech level balance would be assigned to these options. Overall it would mean considerable more flexibility in choosing your panels and power output - you would choose the form factor then the kind of cells you wanted on them. 

It also wouldn't be a huge amount of work compared to some other things I've done. 

8 minutes ago, Nertea said:

With the advent of B9PS being able to mess with modules between variants, it might be interesting to allow most panels to choose a cell type in the VAB. Deployable, curved and static panels could use

• Basic
  • Advanced
  • Concentrator

I think this would be wonderful.  Coupled with Modular Segmented SRBs (about to be released), people will really have options for building rockets.

I can't into maths so my rocket building tends to involve retroengineering...build a thing first then figure out how much power it needs and pick the lightest possible solar panel that produces sufficient power, fits inside the payload and looks good (this last bit is the most important but also the most difficult since they all look good).  More flexibility on design choices whilst giving appropriate practical utility would be great in my book.

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

Updates should be this week... almost done with Restock...

I'm thinking of doing a thing for NF Solar though in the future, let me know what you all think:

Currently solar panels are balanced based on their cell type, we have

• Basic - looks like stock (well, Restock) and has the same power/unit area and power/unit mass as stock
  • Blanket - gold backs and rounded cells, has lower power/unit area and best power/unit mass
  • Advanced - slightly rounded cell, has higher power/unit area and moderate power/unit mass
  • Concentrator - darker with fresnel lens, highest power/unit area and moderate power/unit mass

• Basic
  • Advanced
  • Concentrator

Appropriate cost, mass and tech level balance would be assigned to these options. Overall it would mean considerable more flexibility in choosing your panels and power output - you would choose the form factor then the kind of cells you wanted on them. 

It also wouldn't be a huge amount of work compared to some other things I've done. 

Why not go the other way around and have those 4 types of arrays as parts with variants for deployable/curved/static/blanket?

It would greatly help with discoverability and keep the performance stuff part-bound and the how it looks or folds stuff variant-bound. 

Though maybe that’s a lot of work, in which case a short description about efficiency/mass per variant would be appreciated in the part description.

Basically “Available in heavier/lighter/more/less efficient variants” versus “Available in deployable, static, and blanket configuration.”

Edited by Jognt

3 hours ago, Jognt said:

Why not go the other way around and have those 4 types of arrays as parts with variants for deployable/curved/static/blanket?

It would greatly help with discoverability and keep the performance stuff part-bound and the how it looks or folds stuff variant-bound. 

Though maybe that’s a lot of work, in which case a short description about efficiency/mass per variant would be appreciated in the part description.

Basically “Available in heavier/lighter/more/less efficient variants” versus “Available in deployable, static, and blanket configuration.”

Er, that would be uh, if I understand it right, redoing the entire mod. So no...

12 hours ago, Jognt said:

This is probably worthwhile though.  "This produces the most EC but is mass-intensive"  "This strikes a balance between EC and mass" and so forth.