[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Hi guys, need a little help.

How can I find the parts' titles in the cfg/mod folder?

eg. In VAB the part says EA-F192 Fuel Tank but in the mods folder the cfg says something like "title = #LOC_NFLaunchVehicles_fueltank-5-1_title"

I cant match the cfgs with their relevant parts.

Please fix the file GameData\NearFutureAeronautics\Patches\NFAeroIntakeAtm.cfg by adding !RESOURCE[IntakeAtm] condition to it. This condition will ensure, that the IntakeAtm module will be added only ONCE, and will prevent the addition of it to the parts, which already have it added by some another mod. Otherwise it conflicts with many other mods (Mk2 Expansion, SpaceTux Industries Recycled Parts, OPT Reconfig) and causes the duplication of the IntakeAtm module in all air intake parts.

To avoid such conflicts the code must look like this:

/// Adds IntakeAtm to all parts that have an intake for air

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir],!RESOURCE[IntakeAtm]]
{

+MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]
	{
	  @resourceName = IntakeAtm
	  %checkForOxygen = false
	}

+RESOURCE[IntakeAir]
	{
	 @name = IntakeAtm
	}
}

Is anyone else having an issue with Near Future Electrical causing crashes?  I still can't verify that this is for sure the culprit, but since I've removed it, my game has been stable where it was crashing on loading every 10-20 screens.  I'm guessing this has to be a conflict with another mod, since I didn't see any mention of this in comments...  Wondering if anyone might know of mods that conflict with this one?

@I Just Ate Your Grapes Bro - No, we haven't had any other reports like these recently. Intermittent crashes are rarely down to any single mod, though. If a mod is broken enough to crash on startup, then it should crash every startup. Intermittent crashes are more likely to point to an overarching problem like running out of memory or the like.

But if you can upload a log from a crash event somewhere (please don't paste it into a post), we can take a look.

Yes I can report crashes to desktop. But not with NFE. NFA Yes. It is consistent. I can try a small plane with out an engine. Works fine. Add an engine and at some point boom. Now boom is relative. It maybe that at launch I see blank space, all mechjeb numbers are Na's, no craft is present. Or I believe things are fine and immediately revert back to hanger as opposed to launch, where KSP will CTD. It may be related to the above IntakeAtm issue mentioned above as I do have some of the mods mentioned. I will edit my version accordingly. Here is a log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfbqqbgtqpeslqd/saves for Nerta.NFA.1.output_log.rar?dl=0

edit.

I believe that I am not alone in making space planes or planes which use more than one mod makers parts in the same plane. It is therefor vital that they play well with each other.

edit.

So I made the change outlined above. Still CTD. Here is the .craft (a small craft) and output_log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3qy1jdngh9a4qt/saves for Nerta.2.rar?dl=0

edit

Sorry. Looks like there is an issue with another part. A coincidence with trying to use one of these engines. See:

Spoiler

B9.Body.Adapter.Mk2.125m.Short

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Module FSengineMenuCleaner threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FSengineMenuCleaner.toggleMenuItems (Boolean newState) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FSengineMenuCleaner.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by Apaseall

Thank you so much for updating your work, NFT is the only reason i run a modded KSP.
I am thinking about creating a insane MH mission with your parts,

Spoiler

a NFT version of THE DUNATIAN

Cheers Mikki, big fan here! :D

5 hours ago, Streetwind said:

@I Just Ate Your Grapes Bro - No, we haven't had any other reports like these recently. Intermittent crashes are rarely down to any single mod, though. If a mod is broken enough to crash on startup, then it should crash every startup. Intermittent crashes are more likely to point to an overarching problem like running out of memory or the like.

But if you can upload a log from a crash event somewhere (please don't paste it into a post), we can take a look.

Yeah, I'm certain, again since there are no reports here, that it's a conflicting issue with another mod I'm running.  It never crashes loading in the game, only when loading the VAB/launch screens, and since getting rid of the blue batteries this mod provided and removing it, no more issues, however I LOVE this mod, so really don't want to leave it behind, and would likely drop the other mod causing the conflict.  Are you saying the crash log specifically?  Because the KSP.log was too large to load into pastebin without paying for an acct.  I can't even say for sure that this IS part of the problem, since not crashing is not the same thing as crashing more frequently.  I could well have just been lucky playing yesterday, and this mod might not even be related at all.  BUT, I played for a long time yesterday without a single crash, where as I'd get 5-10 in a normal session so I'm left assuming it's conflicting with something, but I have NO clue what, cause I have like 80 mods :blush:

16 hours ago, Scorpion_SK said:

Please fix the file GameData\NearFutureAeronautics\Patches\NFAeroIntakeAtm.cfg by adding !RESOURCE[IntakeAtm] condition to it. This condition will ensure, that the IntakeAtm module will be added only ONCE, and will prevent the addition of it to the parts, which already have it added by some another mod. Otherwise it conflicts with many other mods (Mk2 Expansion, SpaceTux Industries Recycled Parts, OPT Reconfig) and causes the duplication of the IntakeAtm module in all air intake parts.

To avoid such conflicts the code must look like this:

/// Adds IntakeAtm to all parts that have an intake for air

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake],@RESOURCE[IntakeAir],!RESOURCE[IntakeAtm]]
{

+MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]
	{
	  @resourceName = IntakeAtm
	  %checkForOxygen = false
	}

+RESOURCE[IntakeAir]
	{
	 @name = IntakeAtm
	}
}

A small oversight, I will correct it. If you've gone through the trouble of enumerating what I must do, you could just create a PR though.

On 8/30/2018 at 8:28 AM, stelios1981 said:

Hi guys, need a little help.

How can I find the parts' titles in the cfg/mod folder?

eg. In VAB the part says EA-F192 Fuel Tank but in the mods folder the cfg says something like "title = #LOC_NFLaunchVehicles_fueltank-5-1_title"

I cant match the cfgs with their relevant parts.

en-us.cfg contains the localization strings (or whatever your language of choice is).

4 hours ago, I Just Ate Your Grapes Bro said:

Yeah, I'm certain, again since there are no reports here, that it's a conflicting issue with another mod I'm running.  It never crashes loading in the game, only when loading the VAB/launch screens, and since getting rid of the blue batteries this mod provided and removing it, no more issues, however I LOVE this mod, so really don't want to leave it behind, and would likely drop the other mod causing the conflict.  Are you saying the crash log specifically?  Because the KSP.log was too large to load into pastebin without paying for an acct.  I can't even say for sure that this IS part of the problem, since not crashing is not the same thing as crashing more frequently.  I could well have just been lucky playing yesterday, and this mod might not even be related at all.  BUT, I played for a long time yesterday without a single crash, where as I'd get 5-10 in a normal session so I'm left assuming it's conflicting with something, but I have NO clue what, cause I have like 80 mods :blush:

Intermitted crashing is for sure hard to debug. You can upload full logs to things like Google Drive or Dropbox for free though!

Hi there, I'm wondering if I've installed something improperly (or maybe I'm completely missing them) but I'm not seeing the shielded VTOL engines (see pic) that are shown in the Imgur gallery?

3cQotoV.png

Are these still WIP or maybe like I said I'm missing something in the install?

EDIT: Wait.. lemme check where they are in the tech tree...

EDIT 2: Yup... in the one node I haven't unlocked yet. I'll take "Specialized Flight Systems for 550, Alex".

Nevermind me! :D

Edited by scottadges

On 9/1/2018 at 8:37 PM, ksp_colin said:

Are there plans to merge 'Near Future - Aeronautics' to ckan?

On 9/2/2018 at 9:47 AM, azander said:

Nerta doesn't support CKAN at all. 

See first post for details.

And it seems very unlikely that someone else will, because the CKAN dev revealed that Aeronautics includes Kerbal Actuators, whose author has specifically said not to have his mod indexed in CKAN.  So, sadly, it won't happen.

I know this is probably the wrong place, and I'll be beaten for asking here...

...Is MKIV Spaceplane still part of the your ongoing (enormous) body of work? I can't find it anywhere.

You're the modder who makes most of my game, Nertea, thank you so much for your endless supply of really great parts.

Edit: As usual I managed to go past the thread several times before I noticed it, with an update posted by Nertea. Still, thanks again, your stuff is the best.

Double Edit: There's a link in your signature... Yeah, I'm speshul.

Edited by Ballistic Idiot

24 minutes ago, Ballistic Idiot said:

I know this is probably the wrong place, and I'll be beaten for asking here...

...Is MKIV Spaceplane still part of the your ongoing (enormous) body of work? I can't find it anywhere.

You're the modder who makes most of my game, Nertea, thank you so much for your endless supply of really great parts.

Link to the last post in the thread.

On 9/2/2018 at 6:50 AM, Mikki said:

Hi @Nertea, i just discovered a issue withe the 5 and 7.5 diameter fairings from NF Launch Vehicles, color is off at the moment...

Reveal hidden contents

iJekQm3.png

:)

I had a look, don't see this in my install, just the usual crap behaviour of the stock fairing shader. 

Most nuclear jet engines were actually boiler engines. 

They used the heat of the nuclear reactor to boil a liquid fuel (usually methanol) far above flash point then injected it into the combustion chamber for insane Delta-V and thrust while sipping fuel and requiring little oxygen.  They could actual run on no oxygen by simply using the methanol as a heat medium, but they lost efficiency doing that.

While there were some that just used heated compressed air, those had abysmal thrust and efficiency.