[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

13 hours ago, Kradgger said:

Hey, @Nertea, is it even remotely possible for your part variants to be based off of the stock switcher instead of B9, or is it just not as versatile?

Stock switcher does not support resources and Nertea's mods very largely need resource switching. Squad massively, massively failed (again) by not providing this. :( If this was done, we'd then have the possibilities of: Toggling the Kerbodyne adapter's hollow and fuel tank form; All tanks could hold LF (for the stock nuke) when desired; Squad could deprecate all the redundant LF vs LFO tanks (largely in the plane parts arena) and some of the Mono tanks, and save on shipped parts' memory footprint.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Stock switcher does not support resources and Nertea's mods very largely need resource switching. Squad massively, massively failed (again) by not providing this. :( If this was done, we'd then have the possibilities of: Toggling the Kerbodyne adapter's hollow and fuel tank form; All tanks could hold LF (for the stock nuke) when desired; Squad could deprecate all the redundant LF vs LFO tanks (largely in the plane parts arena) and some of the Mono tanks, and save on shipped parts' memory footprint.

I think it's done that way because they are more for part identity than part versatility. Like they want the RCS stuff to have its own look and part with its own description. It's for flavor IMO, and to maintain a certain canon going on. The complete opposite to this would be ProceduralParts, with each part being pretty much faceless blobs you make yourself. They also try not to make fittings too obvious, as to keep a certain freedom when mixing and matching, the opposite being packs like BDB and Tantares, where mixing parts that were obviously made to fit with others more often than not will result in a weird frankenbuild of kerbalized IRL lifters (which i'm in no way saying isn't absolutely hilarious).

That said, there wouldn't have been any harm in implementing resource switching with the stock system, even if they don't use it themselves (see part upgrade system).

20 minutes ago, fr33soul said:

Great work for updating to 1.6.1 and thanks a lot! I love this mod!

there's a way to translate it? i will give my contribution if possible..

All of Nertea's mods should be setup already for localization. Just find their Localization/en-us.cfg file, make a copy and change en-us in the filename and inside the file to your language code, whatever they call that, and translate the strings inside.

2 hours ago, Kradgger said:

I think it's done that way because they are more for part identity than part versatility. Like they want the RCS stuff to have its own look and part with its own description. It's for flavor IMO, and to maintain a certain canon going on. The complete opposite to this would be ProceduralParts, with each part being pretty much faceless blobs you make yourself. They also try not to make fittings too obvious, as to keep a certain freedom when mixing and matching, the opposite being packs like BDB and Tantares, where mixing parts that were obviously made to fit with others more often than not will result in a weird frankenbuild of kerbalized IRL lifters (which i'm in no way saying isn't absolutely hilarious).

I would... question the statement that the work Squad has done since adding the variant system in any way improved part identity, in fact I would say it has damaged it. I think it's pretty clear where the system came from - they wanted to player to make Saturn Vs and were stuck in a hard place when there were no white fuel tanks. It all flows nicely from that assumption - the flaws in the initial implementation and the routes they took to resolve some of those flaws. 

It's a moot point really though. Even without fuel switching B9PS is more capable and has the advantage that if I need a feature, I can actually propose it to blowfish and he's pretty good about implementing it if I can make a good case. 

1 hour ago, fr33soul said:

there's a way to translate it? i will give my contribution if possible..

Yes this is always helpful! Each mod has a folder like this one that holds all the localization data: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/NearFutureSpacecraft/tree/master/GameData/NearFutureSpacecraft/Localization

You can look at the files in there to see what languages have been done and make a new one as per the Localization.md file's guide there. 

Once done, submit a pull request via GitHub to add it to the mod and hopefully it will make it into the next version. 

Edited by Nertea

On 1/19/2019 at 8:55 AM, Modding Maniac said:

Why wouldent you just update the mk 4 parts? theres no reason to have a mod with just the engines from it

because some people only wanted to use the engines, some others (like me) just the fuselage and by splitting the Add'On the maintainer can… well… maintain the two "products" separately , each one with its own life cycle. This make things easier to develop and maintain.

Edited by Lisias
tasting my own medicine :)

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

because some people only wanted to use the engines, some others (like me) just the fuselage and by splitting the mods the maintainer can… well… maintain the two "products" separately , each one with its own life cycle. This make things easier to develop and maintain.

fair enuff

5 hours ago, Modding Maniac said:

Why wouldent you just update the mk 4 parts? theres no reason to have a mod with just the engines from it

Let's say the core does get damaged though. Is there a built-in mechanism to repair or replace it, or do you have to use KAS or something?

18 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:
6 hours ago, Modding Maniac said:

Let's say the core does get damaged though. Is there a built-in mechanism to repair or replace it, or do you have to use KAS or something?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@sturmhauke Yes, you can repair the core... up to a point. I think it was... 75% max? And it takes a level 5 engineer to pull it off? The problem is, I have never actually done it myself, so I might in fact be wrong here. :P

The idea is definitely that you can fix it enough to get you home, but not enough to equal a brand-new part, though.

Edited by Streetwind

@Nertea There is a bug in 1.6.0 & 1.6.1 that can lock up the parts menu in the VAB if a bulkheadProfiles isn't defined for each part. The following thread discusses it. I only use Near Future Electical and Solar, but from what I've found none of the Capacitors or Solar Panels have a defined bulkheadProfiles. I have verified this is a problem in a clean 1.6.1 install with only your latest release of NF Solar, Electrical and dependencies added.

Since I have literally nothing better to do right now, I shall go and make some pull requests...

EDIT: ...and done. Thanks for the report, @Tonka Crash!

EDIT2: Also checked SSPX, Heat Control, NF Propulsion.

EDIT3: Also checked NF Launch Vehicles, NF Aeronautics.

EDIT4: Also checked CryoTanks, CryoEngines, Kerbal Atomics.

EDIT5: Also checked MkIV System, NF Construction, NF Spacecraft.

...I think that's all of them. At least the ones containing parts. Jeb's missing beard, @Nertea, why do you have so many mods? :P

Edited by Streetwind

5 hours ago, Streetwind said:

...I think that's all of them. At least the ones containing parts. Jeb's missing beard, @Nertea, why do you have so many mods? :P

Because I'm a pillar of the community.

;)

Thanks for all these PRs, saves me a bunch of work. Time to stress test the automated release system on Monday...

This set adds a bunch of translations, adds some missing translation credits from earlier, and fixes most of the bulkhead profiles issues (NFP will come a bit later)

Near Future Electrical 0.10.6

• Add bulkhead profiles to missing parts (thanks Streetwind)
  • Added German translation courtesy of Three_Pounds

Near Future Solar 0.8.15

• German translation from Three_Pounds
  •  Fixed missing bulkhead profiles (thanks Streetwind)

Near Future Construction 1.0.6

• New translation from Levin845! (Simplified Chinese)

Near Future Spacecraft 1.0.3

• Added German translation from LeLeon and Three_Pounds

Near Future Launch Vehicles 1.1.10

• Fixed engine CTT patch (LouisB3)
  •  Added German translation (Three_Pounds)

Near Future Aeronautics 1.0.4

•  Fixed bulkhead profiles (thanks Streetwind)

Please note that if you've found a bug that isn't resolved by now in the NF suite, I forgot about it/don't know and you need to repost it here or even better, post it on the appropriate GitHub repo. I don't lose those ones. 

On 1/17/2019 at 7:16 PM, Rainbow Pickles said:

Why is NF Aeronautics incompatible with ckan? (I'm not asking for it to be added I'm just curious :D )

It has a dependency on a mod that the author has formally requested stay off CKAN

Near Future Propulsion 0.10.7

• Fixed bulkhead profiles (thanks Streetwind)
  •  Fixed an argon tank localization problem
  •  Added German translation from Three_Pounds 

Automated system is the best. This takes about 1/10th the time of the previous semiautomated system. 

Edited by Nertea

Thank you for your amazing mods, Nertea. I always wait for yours to update before updating my KSP version. You have a style and consistency to the look and feel of your props that I just love. Keep up the awesome work :D

@NerteaI love this mod.  I know you say it's feature-complete, but ...

The Making History 1.8m parts lack something key - they don't have a crew compartment.  1.25 has the spaceplane crew compartment and 2.5 has the Hitchhiiker.

Have you considered a full line of 1.8 parts?  1.8 is great for missions around kerbin / mun / minmus, but it's tough to get tourists there with that part set.

Also, I LOVE your chryo engines.  I use them all the time.  They make the early game fun, and also give so many options for H2O2 boosters later.  Thanks so much for it!

4 hours ago, SoonerTed said:

@NerteaI love this mod.  I know you say it's feature-complete, but ...

The Making History 1.8m parts lack something key - they don't have a crew compartment.  1.25 has the spaceplane crew compartment and 2.5 has the Hitchhiiker.

Have you considered a full line of 1.8 parts?  1.8 is great for missions around kerbin / mun / minmus, but it's tough to get tourists there with that part set.

Also, I LOVE your chryo engines.  I use them all the time.  They make the early game fun, and also give so many options for H2O2 boosters later.  Thanks so much for it!

Have you looked at the Missing History mod? It may have what you're looking for.

I keep getting an error when MM is applying patches.

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'NearFutureAeronautics/Parts/Nacelle/nfa-intake-largeshock/nfa-intake-largeshock'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'AnimatedIntake'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

I commented out the module in the cfg but I'm not sure what it actually does? Its the only intake with this module.