[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

Out of curiosity, what's the actual difference between a "blanket" and non-"blanket" solar array?  As far as I can tell, "blanket" just means "less efficient per unit area, but large enough to make up for it", but is there some sort of fundamental technological difference that makes an array "blanket" or not?  Is a blanket just anything that's not a concentrator?

17 hours ago, Wyzard said:

Out of curiosity, what's the actual difference between a "blanket" and non-"blanket" solar array?  As far as I can tell, "blanket" just means "less efficient per unit area, but large enough to make up for it", but is there some sort of fundamental technological difference that makes an array "blanket" or not?  Is a blanket just anything that's not a concentrator?

RL or NF? RL, it's a lot harder to put a large/bulky cell in a flexible material that folds and deforms. It's a convenient differentiator for KSP. 

NF Propulsion 1.1.0:

• Updated bundled ModuleManager to 4.0.2
  • Argon tank textures have been adjusted with similar greys to restock tanks, and the 'internal' tanks use the reflective material for a brushed metal look
  • Argon parts have a new thematic color (darkish teal)
  • Argon thrusters have been tuned to color-wise match Restock greys
  • Lithium foil-wrapped tanks now use new reflective material
  • Lithium has a new thematic color (darkish red)
  • Lithium thrusters have been tuned to color-wise match Restock greys
  • Xenon tank textures have been adjusted to color-wise match Restock tanks (greys and yellows)
  • Xenon thrusters have been tuned to color-wise match Restock Dawn
  • Xenon/Argon small thrusters now have normal maps
  • VASIMR thrusters have been tuned to color-wise match Restock greys and consistently use Xenon colours
  • Electric RCS have been tuned to color-wise match their respective engines
  • Surface attachment was enabled for all large engines
  • Fixed surface attach node for 0.625m MPDT

An important FAQ here.... you might want to force DX11. The metallic shader uses the stock cubemaps that in DX9 has visible seams. 

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

An important FAQ here.... you might want to force DX11. The metallic shader uses the stock cubemaps that in DX9 has visible seams. 

I thought DX11 wasn't supported and caused various funky issues and missing VAB/SPH part shaders and stuff? Seems to be the case still, unless I'm missing something?

24 minutes ago, Raccoon said:

I thought DX11 wasn't supported and caused various funky issues and missing VAB/SPH part shaders and stuff? Seems to be the case still, unless I'm missing something?

I should be clearer then, the deficiency in the reflection maps can be solved by this, not by me. I just wanted to get out ahead of complaints.

Just now, Nertea said:

I should be clearer then, the deficiency in the reflection maps can be solved by this, not by me. I just wanted to get out ahead of complaints.

Fair enough! The new parts look incredible and the seams are a small price to pay for me.

So I've been using the Near Future Spacecraft mod for the first time in forever, and there's a lot of cool new pods. However, I find myself wondering - some of the pods do not fit with stock heat shields, but also do not come with their own heat shields. This is true both of the Dragon-alike pod and the one that goes really wide and then tapers again. What heat shields should I use with these pods?

40 minutes ago, wasmic said:

So I've been using the Near Future Spacecraft mod for the first time in forever, and there's a lot of cool new pods. However, I find myself wondering - some of the pods do not fit with stock heat shields, but also do not come with their own heat shields. This is true both of the Dragon-alike pod and the one that goes really wide and then tapers again. What heat shields should I use with these pods?

The restock heat shield worked for me with the tethys.

Hi, be careful they're many "typos" (in particular version numbers), in this post (first page) for some Near Future...

This is a list (all January 21, 2019):

- NF Construction section indicates 1.0.5, instead of 1.0.6.

- NF Spacecraft section indicates 1.0.2 instead of 1.0.3.

- NF Launch Vehicules section indicates 1.1.7 instead of 1.1.10

(I don't know about Aeronautics because I don't use it).

Hope this can help. Thanks a lot for your mods!

Edited by DomiKamu

10 hours ago, DomiKamu said:

Hi, be careful they're many "typos" (in particular version numbers), in this post (first page) for some Near Future...

This is a list (all January 21, 2019):

- NF Construction section indicates 1.0.5, instead of 1.0.6.

- NF Spacecraft section indicates 1.0.2 instead of 1.0.3.

- NF Launch Vehicules section indicates 1.1.7 instead of 1.1.10

(I don't know about Aeronautics because I don't use it).

Hope this can help. Thanks a lot for your mods!

Thanks for letting me know, not really concerned as all the authoritative locations are correct.

I managed to accidentally bump the version number to 1.2.0, then had to fix it to 1.2.1. So uh, several versions for free?

NF Spacecraft 1.2.1

• Updated MM to 4.0.2
  • Added French translation (don-vip)
  • Soft-deprecated stack monopropellant tanks due to artistic irrelevance. Some may return later but for now you shouldn't build new craft with them
  • Renamed PPD-24 to RPD-12 (name collision with SSPXr)
  • Propagated command pod-related improvements from Restock to command pods (hatches, endcaps, colours)
  • Retextured orbital engines completely
  • Now uses improved thermal colorization method for engine emisives
  • Redid orbital engine particle effects
  • Orbital engine colour/manufacturer are now consistent with Reaction Engines (stock Puff)
  • Minor texture tunings in many places
  • Fixed floating Occupy Duna poster in Elara IVA
  • Fixed top node of Callisto being a bit too high
  • Added support for the Landertron mod to the three landing command pods (DStaal)
  • Added support for newer versions of USI-LS (dlrk2)
  • Recompressed many textures with higher quality compressor

19 minutes ago, Nertea said:

NF Spacecraft 1.2.1

Great, checking the parts now! But I actually like the tanks, I think I'll keep them active in my own install :P

Edit: a small suggestion. The first bottom node in the LV-95-6 is impossible to use. Making the two nodes size "1" solves the problem.

Edited by MaximumThrust

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

Recompressed many textures with higher quality compressor

After updating, I noticed this exception in my log:

[LOG 23:47:39.484] Load(Texture): NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Command/command-pods/blank
[EXC 23:47:39.588] UnityException: LoadRawTextureData: not enough data provided (will result in overread).
        UnityEngine.Texture2D.LoadRawTextureData (System.Byte[] data)
        DatabaseLoaderTexture_DDS.Read (System.String filename)
        DatabaseLoaderTexture_DDS+<Load>c__Iterator0.MoveNext ()
        UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)
        UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
        <LoadObjects>c__Iterator1:MoveNext()
        UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

The history for blank.dds shows that it's one that you recompressed, so I'm guessing it got corrupted/truncated somehow.

Grep tells me that some of the .mu files in that directory contain the string "blank", but the parts look fine in-game, so it doesn't seem like a big problem as far as I can tell.

On 3/18/2019 at 11:13 PM, Nertea said:

Thanks for letting me know, not really concerned as all the authoritative locations are correct.

Hi, and excuse me because your reply isn't clear in my mind (I precise I'm French, so English isn't my main language). I presume you'll can edit your post (page 1), like you've done to update Near Future Propulsion to 1.1.0.

Perhaps by using "be careful" you've assumed I'm "aggressive" (in fact I'm not sure), but be sure it was not - probably by using "caution" (or something similar) it was better ;) Please apologize in case of confusion, of course!

Be sure Nertea I'm in admiration about your stuff, all (except Aeronautic) Near Future are in my favorite mods!

Regards.

Edited by DomiKamu

11 hours ago, DomiKamu said:

Hi, and excuse me because your reply isn't clear in my mind (I precise I'm French, so English isn't my main language). I presume you'll can edit your post (page 1), like you've done to update Near Future Propulsion to 1.1.0.

Perhaps by using "be careful" you've assumed I'm "aggressive" (in fact I'm not sure), but be sure it was not - probably by using "caution" (or something similar) it was better ;) Please apologize in case of confusion, of course!

Be sure Nertea I'm in admiration about your stuff, all (except Aeronautic) Near Future are in my favorite mods!

Regards.

Yeah no worries, I got it , was just mentioning that all the actual download locations seem correct so I'll fix it when I have a completely bored moment. 

13 hours ago, Wyzard said:

After updating, I noticed this exception in my log:

[LOG 23:47:39.484] Load(Texture): NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Command/command-pods/blank
[EXC 23:47:39.588] UnityException: LoadRawTextureData: not enough data provided (will result in overread).
        UnityEngine.Texture2D.LoadRawTextureData (System.Byte[] data)
        DatabaseLoaderTexture_DDS.Read (System.String filename)
        DatabaseLoaderTexture_DDS+<Load>c__Iterator0.MoveNext ()
        UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)
        UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
        <LoadObjects>c__Iterator1:MoveNext()
        UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

The history for blank.dds shows that it's one that you recompressed, so I'm guessing it got corrupted/truncated somehow.

Grep tells me that some of the .mu files in that directory contain the string "blank", but the parts look fine in-game, so it doesn't seem like a big problem as far as I can tell.

It could be but it's dangerous. I should probably do a re-release with a fix. 

edit: I pushed out 1.2.2 which should solve this issue. 

Edited by Nertea

You all may have noticed that I removed the "no CKAN" qualifier from the OP for NFP and NFSpc. This is due to a switchover to fully managed (by me) CKAN files. This allows me to endorse that as a valid source. The other mods will follow in this update cycle. 

1 hour ago, TonedMite133805 said:

Is there any way to download all the NFT mods together?

Not as of yet.

It's shocking and nastily complex!

Today I spent much time redoing the standard deployable arrays, and got them all rigged up and animated. Hoped to finish the two "advanced" arrays as well, but those will have to wait. Gigantor shown in blue.

solar_friends.png

Coming along faster than expected, I have a pretty good workflow for these now. Blankets will be... harder.