[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

On 3/19/2019 at 6:40 PM, Nertea said:

NF Spacecraft 1.2.1

• Soft-deprecated stack monopropellant tanks due to artistic irrelevance. Some may return later but for now you shouldn't build new craft with them

Ah-ha!  I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out where these went! I was checking old screenshots and KSP installs trying to figure out if I missed a mod install or not, and didn't think to dig deeper into KSP's menus looking for deprecated parts.

Your 3.75m "FL-R-C1500" sees a lot of use in my station builds, and there aren't any 3.75m tanks in ReStock or ReStock+.  Please do continue these flatter mono tanks!

Edited by Chimichanga

On 3/22/2019 at 8:29 PM, KSPNoob said:

@Nertea  Did I somehow screw my game up or did I never notice that with the Near Future Launch Vehicles engines that the shrouds don't seem to work?

Have only used the Osprey myself but did encounter the same behavior of no shroud option. Asked a while ago but never got a response for it

On 1/24/2019 at 11:30 PM, Drew Kerman said:

I'm not missing anything am I? The S6-V Osprey doesn't have a shroud?

In the meantime I have been able to make a nice shroud with Procedural Fairings' interstage adapter

First off, big thanks to @Nertea for this truly epic set of mods! Really excellent work, they've become must-haves for me. :)

Next, I've noticed that the advanced LFO engines from NF Launch Vehicles aren't showing up for me in the VAB in my career game. The 5m tanks and decouplers do show up, as do (as far as I'm aware) all the other parts I've unlocked from the other NF packs, but for some reason those engines don't. Is there a known solution to this, or am I just special?

If you need to look at a log, just ask and I'll upload one. I had a quick look through my log last night and didn't see any errors from NFLV, but I'm also not used to crawling through KSP logs so I could have easily missed something.

Things I've tried already:

• I looked in the advanced parts menu->filter by module->engines, they don't show up there. 
  • I've deleted the NearFutureLaunchVehicles from GameData and re-copied the files from the latest version download.
  • I've deleted the Squad folders from GameData and had Steam re-download them. (Saw the posts in the ReStocked thread about people having parts not show up due to not having a clean install, thought I'd try that fix.)

Edit: Ok, now I'm more confused. They show up in the VAB in a sandbox game, but not in my career game, so they're loading fine. Not unlocking properly from tech tree research?

Edit2: Might have figured it out. I see the RE-4 on both Very Heavy Rocket (550) and Gigantic Rocketry (1500), and the S1-V on both Very Heavy Rocket (550) and Experimental Rocketry (1000). I have researched VHR but not the two higher techs, which is why I was expecting to see those engines in the VAB. I'm guessing they'll actually unlock when I research those two higher techs.

Edited by Eranziel

On 3/24/2019 at 12:01 PM, Boamere said:

Is it possible to make the NF propulsion use the same type switching that ReStock uses? (The stock variant)

Maybe, haven't checked 100 percent, if so it is the only one of my mods that it is possible for.

On 3/25/2019 at 3:48 AM, Drew Kerman said:

Have only used the Osprey myself but did encounter the same behavior of no shroud option. Asked a while ago but never got a response for it

In the meantime I have been able to make a nice shroud with Procedural Fairings' interstage adapter

It's intended behavior. It will change in the next release.

1 hour ago, Eranziel said:

First off, big thanks to @Nertea for this truly epic set of mods! Really excellent work, they've become must-haves for me. :)

Next, I've noticed that the advanced LFO engines from NF Launch Vehicles aren't showing up for me in the VAB in my career game. The 5m tanks and decouplers do show up, as do (as far as I'm aware) all the other parts I've unlocked from the other NF packs, but for some reason those engines don't. Is there a known solution to this, or am I just special?

If you need to look at a log, just ask and I'll upload one. I had a quick look through my log last night and didn't see any errors from NFLV, but I'm also not used to crawling through KSP logs so I could have easily missed something.

Things I've tried already:

• I looked in the advanced parts menu->filter by module->engines, they don't show up there. 
  • I've deleted the NearFutureLaunchVehicles from GameData and re-copied the files from the latest version download.
  • I've deleted the Squad folders from GameData and had Steam re-download them. (Saw the posts in the ReStocked thread about people having parts not show up due to not having a clean install, thought I'd try that fix.)

Edit: Ok, now I'm more confused. They show up in the VAB in a sandbox game, but not in my career game, so they're loading fine. Not unlocking properly from tech tree research?

Nobody has mentioned anything before. I'd recommend checking through the tech tree to ensure they aren't in a purchasable but still locked state as a first. Or even if you can find them there at all.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:31 PM, Eranziel said:

Edit2: Might have figured it out. I see the RE-4 on both Very Heavy Rocket (550) and Gigantic Rocketry (1500), and the S1-V on both Very Heavy Rocket (550) and Experimental Rocketry (1000). I have researched VHR but not the two higher techs, which is why I was expecting to see those engines in the VAB. I'm guessing they'll actually unlock when I research those two higher techs.

Looks like you edited your post just after I posted. Yeah that happens if you add CTT to a career in progress - parts that appear in earlier nodes without CTT may end up duplicated. 

1 hour ago, TaintedLion said:

Are there any plans for vacuum lander cans in Near Future Spacecraft? It'd be nice to have some alternative lander cans.

It would be nice, but I have about a 15 mod backlog right now.

14 hours ago, Nertea said:

Looks like you edited your post just after I posted. Yeah that happens if you add CTT to a career in progress - parts that appear in earlier nodes without CTT may end up duplicated. 

Ah, that makes sense. I think I started this save before I found out about CTT. Thanks again for all your hard work on these mods, and all your others!

Finished the set of planned updates to NF Electrical, bringing it to 1.0.0. 

• Final content update
  •  Updated ModuleManager to 4.0.2
  •  Some restructuring of files and assets, ensure you delete old NFE installations
  •  3.75m battery was soft-deprecated, if you need one, there is a better one in Restock+
  •  Capacitors were completely remodeled and retextured
  •  Batteries were completely remodeled and retextured
  •  Nuclear fuel containers were retextured
  •  Nuclear reprocessor was partially remodeled and fully retextured
  •  ASRTG was retextured
  •  Tuned textures for reactors to be more consistent with Restock palette
  •  Most textures recompressed from source with higher quality compressor
  •  Capacitor module no longer uses legacy animations for indicator lights, uses ModuleColorChanger instead
  •  Nuclear fuel containers now animate lights depending on amount of fuel or waste in the container

Also, as with this wave of updates, this is now a valid install on CKAN,

I need to step out from these updates to finish off a set of fixes to Kerbal Atomics, then I'll be back with NF Solar, probably. 

5 hours ago, thomash said:

I think I've found a bug with the Spark and Terrier engines.  They look fine in the VAB menu, but when I select them they appear with a shroud.  Selecting "Disable" doesn't work.

Thanks.

Spark and Terrier are stock engines, they’re not from any NF mod.

It makes me bit angry that the 3.75m battery has been deprecated along with the monoprop tanks since 

a:I actually need to use those tanks

b:I can't install restock for video continuity reasons

But its your mod, and i can't stay angry at your work for ever. Guess I'll just create a seperate folder for those parts to keep forever.

41 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

It makes me bit angry that the 3.75m battery has been deprecated along with the monoprop tanks since 

But its your mod, and i can't stay angry at your work for ever. Guess I'll just create a seperate folder for those parts to keep forever.

Restock+ only adds new parts, so won't mess with your continuity AFAIK. 

@Xurkitree - if video continuity is your concern, it might be better not to install this update at all, since a lot of parts were remodeled and retextured. Since there are no changes that are critical to the mod's function (such as bug fixes), you lose nothing other than the new visuals (which you don't want anyway).

However, if you do decide to install: soft-deprecated parts are easy to reactivate. All that was done to them is a.) their VAB category was removed, so they don't appear in the editor parts list anymore; and b.) their research node was set to a nonexistent name, so they don't appear in the tech tree anymore. That's all. If you change those values back to what they were before, you can continue to use them as if nothing happened.

Also: since neither batteries nor monoprop tanks rely on a plugin to work, it means you can carry them forward (by pulling them out of an older version) even after they have been fully deprecated and removed from the latest mod download.

So - take a deep breath, let that anger dissipate, and focus on implementing a solution that works for you. ;)

46 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

@Xurkitree - if video continuity is your concern, it might be better not to install this update at all, since a lot of parts were remodeled and retextured. Since there are no changes that are critical to the mod's function (such as bug fixes), you lose nothing other than the new visuals (which you don't want anyway).

However, if you do decide to install: soft-deprecated parts are easy to reactivate. All that was done to them is a.) their VAB category was removed, so they don't appear in the editor parts list anymore; and b.) their research node was set to a nonexistent name, so they don't appear in the tech tree anymore. That's all. If you change those values back to what they were before, you can continue to use them as if nothing happened.

Also: since neither batteries nor monoprop tanks rely on a plugin to work, it means you can carry them forward (by pulling them out of an older version) even after they have been fully deprecated and removed from the latest mod download.

So - take a deep breath, let that anger dissipate, and focus on implementing a solution that works for you. ;)

unknown.png

Done. I used assets from the 1.5.1 folder I had kept in deep storage.

Edited by Xurkitree

On 4/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, Xurkitree said:

I mean, it's fair and that's why it's a soft deprecation, but maybe here's some further rationale so you understand the choices I have to make.

1. The art on these parts is seriously sub-standard
  2. I don't intend on updating the art for those parts, as the parts are very uninteresting (functionally and visually) to me, and I lack the time to do things that aren't fun

That leaves me with the choice of leaving the sub-par art in the mod, forcing myself to work hard on something I don't like, or removing the parts. For the battery, the answer is totally clear - remove, because I made a better one in a different mod. Maybe the monoprop tank question is a little more subtle as there's no other equivalent, but I have to do what works best for me. 

On 4/1/2019 at 1:23 PM, Boamere said:

Another question, are the turboprops in nf aeronautics meant to be producing thrust below their main axis?

Reveal hidden contents

lnXHhhxl.png

Have to echo this question. Kinda annoying having more than one of those style of engines on a craft as they will cause said craft to flip end over end most of the time.

Edited by Einarr

On 4/1/2019 at 5:45 PM, thomash said:

I think I've found a bug with the Spark and Terrier engines.  They look fine in the VAB menu, but when I select them they appear with a shroud.  Selecting "Disable" doesn't work.

Thanks.

On 4/1/2019 at 11:19 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

Spark and Terrier are stock engines, they’re not from any NF mod.

Maybe I misunderstand what the Restock mod is all about. I was under the impression that it was a revamping of stock parts.  Is that true? I looked at the files in the Restock Mod folder and there are indeed files for the Spark and Terrier.  Since this issue started right after I loaded this mod, I suspect the mod is the cause. 

Thanks.

49 minutes ago, thomash said:

Maybe I misunderstand what the Restock mod is all about. I was under the impression that it was a revamping of stock parts.  Is that true? I looked at the files in the Restock Mod folder and there are indeed files for the Spark and Terrier.  Since this issue started right after I loaded this mod, I suspect the mod is the cause. 

Thanks.

You're in the wrong thread, my friend. ;) Nertea did work on Restock, but it has its own thread. 

Edited by Eranziel

1 hour ago, thomash said:

Thanks.

This isn't the Restock mod thread, this is Near Future Tech. Also, Restock is textures only.

I was trying to pick up NFP engines for nuclear electric ships yesterday and I've finally decided to make a comparison spreadsheet: basically, how much punch you can get for every given nuclear reactor. So instead of trying different combinations in the VAB and picking up the electric engines from a list in the VAB also filtered to include the cryogenic or monoprop ones (filter extensions/NFT category), I can just go straight to the engines I want. This spreadsheet has the max amount of engines you can fully power with each reactor, how much vacuum thrust you get with those engines and the reactor+radiators+engines total TWR (specially useful for nuclear-electric landers, and pretty much the reason I made the spreadsheet), plus of course the ISP. A few caveats:

I'm comparing the engines assembled with each reactor, but only if the particular reactor can power the engine at full throttle. In other words, this comparison is for nuclear electric ships where you just toggle the reactor & radiators on, point towards the maneuver node and press Z. No solar panels for additional power, no capacitors, no trickle charging batteries. For instance, the GW3 Triplet (100 EC/s) could be paired with the Kerbopower reactor (60 EC/s) and either run at 60% throttle or capacitors could be added to provide the 40 remaining EC/s for shorter burns. That's not included, the GW3 doesn't show up in the Kerbopower comparison at all (on second thoughts, I should have included either partial throttle or a TWR calculation with the mass of enough capacitors for a 10 seconds burn).

I've also added the stock Dawn and the MK2 Expansion ion engine to the spreadsheet

I've included the nuclear reactors from KPBS and MK2 expansion, but not the ones from MKS, as I don't currently have it installed. If someone wants to add them, it's just a matter of copying the existing template and replacing the weight and EC production with those of the MKS reactors (plus whatever radiators are needed to cool them)

For the Kerbopower, Garnet and the KBPS and MK2-E reactors, I've picked the stock radiators to cool them. The KBPS and maybe the MK2-E reactor should probably get better TWR numbers with the Heat Control mod radiators, as they do heat a lot (specially the KBPS radiator). For the heavier NFE reactors, I've used non-graphite radiators from Heat Control, since they produce a lot of heat. I've picked the non-graphite because they are earlier in the tech tree, so the TWR numbers would work best for people still unlocking the tech tree.

The Inductor, Scintillator and Repulsor all have variable isp: by giving them extra power, their isp can be increased. I've only included the base values in this spreadsheet

But for the Vasimir engines I included three values: one at 0% efficiency (more thrust, less isp), one at 50% and another at 100% (less thrust, more isp), and calculated all three values for both argon and xenon modes.

I've added two variants of FL-T100 + fuel cell array combos: one with one fuel cell, the other with four fuel cell. They don't really hold their own against nuclear reactors (and they shouldn't)

I guess that with the mass, TWR and the isp values someone could add them to any of the optimal rocket calculations, but I don't know which are the equations used for that, so that's not included

Finally, here's the spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AFlhwNe4LCb53UXWUNCosT0biLrFmLQm-J5pAa07jhE/edit?usp=sharing