[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

8 hours ago, Streetwind said:

This should never happen. The graphics driver should manage the available memory and prevent overloading it. With a full VRAM, you're supposed to see hard stutters and frame drops as content needs to be repeatedly removed and re-added; you should never see a crash.

Try updating your graphics driver. This is unfortunately the only help we can offer, as this is not something NFT-specific - it's not even something KSP-specific, in fact.

Looks like "-force-opengl" cured the problem.

I had to give up using this switch in 1.2.2 because it was giving me blank textures, even with the latest drivers. I did try updating drivers again, to no avail.

18 hours ago, Vandarren said:

I'm having a bug where ships containing "MK3-9pod" and "utilityCabin" can't load because they're missing.

I can find the Mk3-9 pod in the VAB and the utilityCabin (I suppose is the PPD-24 Itinerant sevice Container) is also there.

This is not a bug, the name of some parts has changed in the .cfg files.
If you want to retrieve your ships after the update, duplicate the .cfg files from the parts you are missing and rename them with the previous version names

Example with the Mk 3-9 Command Pod:
- Duplicate the file "command-mk3-9.cfg" and name it for example "command-mk3-9_legacy.cfg"
- Edit the created file and look for "name = command-mk3-9", change it to "name = mk3-9pod"
- To avoid confusing the parts in the VAB, also change "title = # LOC_NFSpacecraft_command-mk3-9_title" for example like that "title = Command-mk3-9 legacy"
- Finally save the new modified file

Do the same for all parties with the name modified by the update and you will retrieve your ships ...

For the old name you will find them in the .cfg files of Near Future Spacecraft for KSP 1.2.2

Edited by Spacetourist

I noticed a couple of pages back you were talking about a lot of work to change paths to get everything in a unified folder structure. A tool I have used to do this for work that does it nicely is Agent Ransack by Mythicsoft. Totally free, way way faster than windows file search, and much more convenient than opening everything in Notepad++ and doing a find and replace on all files.

On 6/17/2017 at 8:37 AM, Hanzz said:

The SM-2, SM-3, SM-4 and SE-4-OMNI Structural parts of Near Future Construction connection nodes that are non-aligned to the part itself, floating above the part.

Not in my install. Or perhaps you mean the helpful node that lets you attach the bottom to a stack?

On 6/16/2017 at 0:34 PM, lovec1990 said:

i might have a issue:

In tracking station i cannot see my ship mostly build with NFT parts while other stock ship is visible i only see blue path and green signal light any one had same issue?

This looks like it might be an issue with B9Partswitch... we'll see. In the meantime you can resolve it by making the command pod the second part of the vessel (even re-rooting should work).

On 6/17/2017 at 11:21 AM, Gordon Dry said:

Not time warping at all there are a lot of these in the log:

[Dynamic Battery Storage]: Trying to clear buffer storage

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)
  Hide contents

The game crashed by any unknown reason after I switched to each single Kerbal after landing on Earth, going on EVA, back to Tracking Station, recovering the Kerbal, back to lander, next Kerbal.
Each did collect samples, one planted a flag.

The last Kerbal was a tourist, couldn't go on EVA, so I went back to Tracking Station and - crash.
There is even not a trace of the crash in the output_log.txt and no crash dump in the KSP folder, but I found one in c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\CrashDumps\ ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/paohf0bsr7xr397/2017-06-17-1 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

You have millions of ModularFlightIntegrator errors in your log, likely not my problem. As with every issue you've ever posted in one of my threads.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:49 AM, Tyko said:

Really happy with the new changes, balance feels right and I haven't run across any parts that feel over/under-powered.

One thing I'm having a hard time with is building ships with the new Spacecraft parts because the "whiteness" and weathering of them, while gorgeous, doesn't match with Stock or most of the parts packs I've tried. The 1.2.x parts were a bit whiter than stock, but still close enough to work as part of a ship. Here are some screen shots showing the contrast I'm seeing.

Again, the work is awesome, just unfortunate that the parts don't match up with common parts. Thanks!

Well, those example stock parts are some of the most sewage-looking parts in all the game. Sorry if you don't like the exact colour matching, but I've got to the point in my art that targeting stock 'quality' isn't something I can do and still have a conscience. I can and will still target style, but that means targeting the style of competently-textured parts, like most of the plane parts. 

On 6/17/2017 at 4:22 PM, Vandarren said:

I'm having a bug where ships containing "MK3-9pod" and "utilityCabin" can't load because they're missing.

I can find the Mk3-9 pod in the VAB and the utilityCabin (I suppose is the PPD-24 Itinerant sevice Container) is also there.

In the case of the utility cabin, copying the game data file from the prior version of NFT and including it as its own separate game data folder also works without breaking the game. This seems to be one of the 1.29 parts that was compatible with 1.3, or at least, I've not had an issue with it yet.

I'm messing around with the Cyclotron and although it says it takes 2000 EC/sec mine only seem to be taking 200/sec.

Also seems to be insanely efficient, I cranked up the thrust and although it says fuel flow is 9k but only using 14/sec.

Edited by KSPNoob

Some updates, ranging from minor to major.

NF Solar 0.8.2

• Fixed specular exponent of T22 1x5 Concentrating Photovoltaic Panels being applied to the whole panel and not just the cells
  • Fixed specular exponent of T14 1x5 Concentrating Photovoltaic Panels being applied to the panel instead of the cells
  • Normalized specular exponent of blanket panels
  • Fixed attach orientation and scaling of PX-STAT 1x2 Photovoltaic Truss
  • Fixed electricity generation of all curved solar panels
  • Fixed mixed up names of NIV-10 and NIV-30 Curved Solar Arrays
  • Fixed typos in a few panel names

NF Spacecraft 0.7.1

•  Disabled drag cube switches on Mk4-1 pod, fixes map view issues but drag might be a little weird until this is really fixed

NF Construction 0.8.1

•  Fix localization error on Octo-Truss Angled Crewed piece
  • Fix localization error on Annular Truss (m)

53 minutes ago, KSPNoob said:

I'm messing around with the Cyclotron and although it says it takes 2000 EC/sec mine only seem to be taking 200/sec.

I can confirm, it's doing the same for me. But even worse, it's specific impulse is also off by a factor of ten.

An engine that should have a specific impulse of 8,500s and use 2000 electricharge with argon at max effciency instead has 85,000s and uses 200 electric charge.

So it's 100 times better than it should be, approaching torchship levels of performance.|

Like i built a ship with 564,071ms^-2 of delta v, and an initial acceleration of 8.5ms^-2 at max efficiency, or 232,265 ms^-2 and 27ms^-2 at minimum efficiency.

A drop-tank ship with over 1 million meters per second of delta v and an acceleration of over 5m/s is easily possible.

Edited by Shrike99

20 minutes ago, Shrike99 said:

I can confirm, it's doing the same for me. But even worse, it's specific impulse is also off by a factor of ten.

An engine that should have a specific impulse of 8,500s and use 2000 electricharge with argon at max effciency instead has 85,000s and uses 200 electric charge.

So it's 100 times better than it should be, approaching torchship levels of performance.

Can you tell me whether it's just that one engines or all of them? And this is in orbit right?

If it's all of them it's a plugin thing that I can't fix until late this week

Edited by Nertea

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Can you tell me whether it's just that one engines or all of them? And this is in orbit right?

If it's all of them it's a plugin thing that I can't fix until late this week

All three VASIMR type engines are exhibiting this behavior. Yes, this was all in orbit, not on the ground.

The pulsed inductive engines are fine(Unsurprising given that they use different code, but just thought i'd mention it)

That's odd, I tested the VASIMRs in space and they seemed to work fine. Maybe I didn't have quite the final plugin version?

The config files look correct, in any case. Power use set at 2000 Ec/s and specific impulse minimum in xenon mode is at 2000s for the 2.5m version.

12 hours ago, Streetwind said:

That's odd, I tested the VASIMRs in space and they seemed to work fine. Maybe I didn't have quite the final plugin version?

The config files look correct, in any case. Power use set at 2000 Ec/s and specific impulse minimum in xenon mode is at 2000s for the 2.5m version.

I think I figured it out, but have no way of testing it. The code assumes that the fuel ratio is fixed at 0.1 - an outdated assumption since we changed the ratios to 1.0 in the latest update. In theory changing the ratio in the configs back to 0.1 should resolve it if this is indeed the case.

When I get back I'll fix this in the plugin for real.

On 6/18/2017 at 4:05 PM, Nertea said:

Well, those example stock parts are some of the most sewage-looking parts in all the game. Sorry if you don't like the exact colour matching, but I've got to the point in my art that targeting stock 'quality' isn't something I can do and still have a conscience. I can and will still target style, but that means targeting the style of competently-textured parts, like most of the plane parts. 

Would you consider releasing texture packs for Procedural Parts / Fairings / Wings to allow ship builders a way to make cohesive looking ships using your style?

thx!

Edited by Tyko

Hey guys, somewhat of a odd question. With the recent update to KSP I uninstalled all my mods. I have tried to reinstall them best I can but in my campaign my spacecraft wont load because I lack several parts. These include the orbital engine-375, rcsblock-aero-5way-1, and the engineer chip. Are these parts from this mod? Is this ever going to be posted on Ckan like the other near future mods? Thanks for the help.

2 minutes ago, MacGregor said:

Hey guys, somewhat of a odd question. With the recent update to KSP I uninstalled all my mods. I have tried to reinstall them best I can but in my campaign my spacecraft wont load because I lack several parts. These include the orbital engine-375, rcsblock-aero-5way-1, and the engineer chip. Are these parts from this mod? Is this ever going to be posted on Ckan like the other near future mods? Thanks for the help.

It is common knowledge by now that Nertea renamed some parts which is causing your craft problem.

As for CKAN, look for any red text in the OP. If this mod appears/updates on CKAN, it's because someone who wants this mod on CKAN, and has the power to make it so, used that power. Nertea cannot be bothered to do this himself, after how much effort he puts into just making his mods.

5 hours ago, MacGregor said:

The orbital engine and the RCS block are from Near Future Spacecraft. The Engineer chip is not from any of Nertea's mods (it's most likely from Kerbal Engineer Redux).

Regarding the RCS block: It's odd that you would get this error, because the name of this part has literally never changed. And it is definitely included in the latest release. You should have it.

Regarding the orbital engine: Nertea has warned for the past half year that it would be deprecated. The 1.2.2 version of the mod already only shipped it in an inactive state that could not be used in the VAB, intended to let people continue to fly existing spacecraft but get used to the replacement engines. After this long a phaseout, there is nothing more we can do; the part is officially and permanently discontinued.

In order for you to be able to load your old craft, you'll have to find an old download on Spacedock or CurseForge and manually import the deprecated parts to your install. Pick one from 1.2.1, that's the last version that had the old orbital engines fully active.

On 6/21/2017 at 6:44 AM, Nertea said:

I think I figured it out, but have no way of testing it. The code assumes that the fuel ratio is fixed at 0.1 - an outdated assumption since we changed the ratios to 1.0 in the latest update. In theory changing the ratio in the configs back to 0.1 should resolve it if this is indeed the case.

When I get back I'll fix this in the plugin for real.

Changing the config file did indeed fix it, though the displayed electric charge requirements in the VAB are way too high. It works fine in practice though

1 minute ago, JonathanPerregaux said:

I stuck a few of the ring-shaped solar panels to my ship to look at them. When I tried to re-position them (in this case, "up"), they suddenly snapped to some point inside my ship. I wasn't able to move them around.

Set the angle snap to 'no snap' before repositioning and they will no longer move into a snapped position.

14 hours ago, Shrike99 said:

Changing the config file did indeed fix it, though the displayed electric charge requirements in the VAB are way too high. It works fine in practice though

Yeah that's just a temporary fix if you can't wait.

31 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@Nertea Can I use these parts in my mod?

You'll need to be far more precise about your mod, what parts you are using, and what the intentions are. Maybe send me a PM with details.