[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

On 5/3/2019 at 4:28 PM, traisjames said:

Ok.  It was just weird that at one point I could use the solar trusses with only researching electronics

Usually that happens if you added CTT partway through the game. Not sure if that's what happened, but *shrug*. 

20 hours ago, dlrk said:

Are the 1.7 updates backwards compatible to 1.6?

Warranty void but probably in most cases. 

Oh hey I had one question. Which cameras are compatible with the big screens in the Mk3-9 IVA? I'm using Hullcam Continued and, it works on the puny screen in the middle but the big honkin' displays are blank.

EDIT: The above question still stands, but actually the reason I installed Hullcam was because the regular JSI Cams went missing for some reason. I realized that in 1.7, the model JSI cam relies on (place-anywhere linear RCS stock Squad part model) has been revamped in 1.7 and is now a different model in a different folder. So unfortunately the JSI cam doesn't seem to be working/accessible out of the gate with 1.7. However, simply copying the GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility\linearRCS part folder from an old 1.6 installation into the 1.7 installation does seem to work at get the JSI cam to show up again. Now I can at least get something showing on those big displays! Yay!

Edited by nwillard

@Nertea

For a deadly reentry compatibility patch, would it make more sense to have DRE let the 2000 maxtemp for the Chickadee stand, or lower the maxtemp to DRE's 1523 maximum? As is, DRE halves the temp to 1000.

20 hours ago, dlrk said:

@Nertea

For a deadly reentry compatibility patch, would it make more sense to have DRE let the 2000 maxtemp for the Chickadee stand, or lower the maxtemp to DRE's 1523 maximum? As is, DRE halves the temp to 1000.

I don't know fully how well the pod itself shields the engine - it could be fine at a lower temp if it does. Don't use DRE, would appreciate your recommendations/pull request :)

So. I'm really hoping to have the big NF Solar update done this weekend. I'm close - if I can find about 10 more work hours I could get there. Here's some more WIP work:

One big improvement that's coming are completely new Starship and completely redone BFS solar panels. Both are completely shrouded and retractable, so they might be good candidates. The Starship retraction mechanism is pretty solid, the BFS one, well, ol' Musky's artists made a thing that *probably* won't work, but I think you could get close using a combination of ROSA and SquareRigger tech so I implemented that. It's better than the old version of this panel, at least. 

moar.png

Some mostly-finished pictures of the OKEB-500, deployed....

deply.PNG

And retracted...

fold.PNG

Most of the panels are done to a first pass, have to QA all of them and finish the two last things on the list (the deploying curved panels).

It's absolutely worth noting that this took too long, but the results are looking really nice. All of the new mechanisms and animations really kick up the mod's quality, and getting to consistent cell size and style was really important. Besides these complete reworks of all the existing panels, there are a total of 8 new parts coming this update too in a bunch of different styles and power levels. 

41 minutes ago, darkracer125 said:

the spacedock link is apparantly down. so ckan is giving an error now.  (near future spacecraft) 

Unfortunately I don't control whether Spacedock is up or down. 

Yay, the magic Starship panel isn't magic anymore. :) What I really love about those panels is the attention to the engineering. The hooks, hinges, rollers are all modeled and operate in a realistic manner. This isn't something you see often in games.

The blue cells on orange look a tad odd, though. I thought you were planning to go with black cells on the blankets?

Edited by Guest

Trying to download Near Future Launch Vehicles for a 1.4.5 RSS/RO installation through CKAN. Getting error

One or more downloads were unsuccessful:
	Error downloading NearFutureLaunchVehicles 1.1.6: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 5.9.16.54:443

All other Near Future components downloaded correctly.

Any solution?

40 minutes ago, strudo76 said:

Trying to download Near Future Launch Vehicles for a 1.4.5 RSS/RO installation through CKAN. Getting error

One or more downloads were unsuccessful:
	Error downloading NearFutureLaunchVehicles 1.1.6: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 5.9.16.54:443

All other Near Future components downloaded correctly.

Any solution?

SpaceDock is (temporarily) down - NF in CKAN uses SpaceDock. You need to manually install from GitHub for now.

19 minutes ago, Eridan said:

SpaceDock is (temporarily) down - NF in CKAN uses SpaceDock. You need to manually install from GitHub for now.

Ah ok. Was confused as the other NF components didn't have an issue. Guess I might have had those cached from a previous install though...

Oh whaaat. 

1qeyP4m.png

Full Screenshot Gallery

• KSP 1.7.x
  • Final content update
  • Updated ModuleManager to 4.0.2
  • Soft-deprecated all old solar panel parts: you have 2-3 months before they are removed PERMANENTLY (this was necessary due to extensive model changes)
  • New part configs and names introduced
  • Complete artistic redo
    • Division of Basic, Advanced, Blanket, Concentrator panels is now visually clear
    • Use of reflective shader to improve visual fidelity
    • Consistent texel density for all components
    • Visual continuity with Restock project
  • Panel naming convention has been clarified:
    • Non-blanket deployable panel nomenclature is now K{EC Output}-{Suffix}, where Suffix is composed of A (advanced), R (retractable) and/or K (concentrating) as appropriate
    • Blanket nomenclature is OKEB-{EC Output} with an R suffix if retractable
    • Circular nomenclature is NIV-{EC Output} with an R suffix if retractable
    • Most larger panels got new nicknames
    • Removed certain tags from un-retractable panels to remove them from searches
  • Manufacturer naming has been tweaked and consolidated into two manufacturers
  • Many descriptions were rewritten to account for changes
  • Several replaced/significantly modified models:
    • K7-A/K7-AR 1x4 panels have been replaced with a modern Dragon 1 style
    • K22-A, K15-A panels are now physically larger (previously they were too small for their power output)
    • K55 Megalador has a completely different model with a different closed footprint
    • OKEB-100 has a completely different model with a different closed and open footprint based off a Deep Space Gateway concept illustration
    • OKEB-500 has a completely different model with a different closed and open footprint based off NASA DRM5 SEP-CHEM option
    • OKEB-75-R has a completely different model with a different closed and open footprint, and is now fully shrouded.
    • NIV-30 has been reworked to be visually similar to Dragon 2 wraparound panels
    • NIV-18 has been reworked to be visually similar to Dragon 2 wraparound panels but in a taller footprint. Renamed to NIV-45.
    • Static truss panels can now be switched between truss and flat versions for flush attachment options
  • Balance changes:
    • Concentrator arrays have new cost/mass tier: even more expensive, slightly more massive, best output/area
    • OKEB-125 panel can now be retracted, power output updated to 150 kw (also retitled OKEB-150 as a result)
    • K90 'Trio' and K30 'Solo' are now Blanket style arrays from a balance PoV, and are retitled as OKEB-45 and OKEB-15. They can no longer be retracted.
    • YF-8 Circular Solar Array is now Blanket style from a balance PoV (higher mass efficiency, lower cost, worse output/area), and is retitled as OKEB-4R with 4 kW output
    • Mass, cost and unlock cost were tuned for many panels
    • Crash tolerances were normalized by type: Advanced * Shrouded panels now have higher thermal tolerances (2000K) and Blanket panels now have smaller thermal tolerances (1000K). Other panels normalized to 1200K.
    • Tech location tuned for all parts
  • New panels:
    • K2-A 1x2 Advanced Photovoltaic Panels: Small Advanced 2 kW array based on MRO panels
    • K4-A 3x1 Advanced Photovoltaic Panels: Small Advanced 4 kW array based on TDRSS Gen 1 panels
    • K20-C 1+2+1 Concentrating Photovoltaic Panels: Medium Concentrating 20 KW array based on JUICE panels
    • K40-AR 'Oar' Advanced Photovoltaic Array: Medium Advanced 40 kW sized retractable array
    • KX-STAT-2 Advanced Photovoltaic Truss: Single-panel version of the KX-STAT series (2kW)
    • OKEB-25-R 'Starship' Blanket Photovoltaic Array: Small Blanket 25 kW panels based off the SpaceX Starship panels. Fully shrouded.
    • OKEB-250 'Ares' Blanket Photovoltaic Array: Huge Blanket 250 kW panels based off NASA DST concept art
    • IX-A 3x1 Advanced Photovoltaic Panels: Small Advanced 4 kW array based on TDRSS Gen 1 panels
  • Curved solar panels now extend 10x faster in the VAB/SPH
  • Curved solar panels now update their symmetric counterparts when deploying/retracting in the VAB/SPH

The copernicus and nalatius say they cant be retracted in the description, but you forgot retractable=false in the configs. the halo (the giant circular blanket) has the opposite problem.

On 5/13/2019 at 1:19 AM, Redacted said:

Do the panels show their volume correctly, specifically with regard to stored panels?

This is impossible to determine as it seems like every second mod that deals with volume does it in a different way. Why not go take a look and report back?

19 hours ago, toric5 said:

The copernicus and nalatius say they cant be retracted in the description, but you forgot retractable=false in the configs. the halo (the giant circular blanket) has the opposite problem.

Huh well I will try to get out a fix later today.