[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

So uh, about those solar panels. On closer revision, at least the 'Halo' solar array and the Megalador are both producing light, though they seem more like detached floating light sources than spotlights.

Edited by GJdude

Kerbalism has a nice balance and offers one of the best things any mod ever introduced - ionizing radiation. It's probably the number one thing that makes me love it.

However, I don't understand why it messes up with NFE nuclear reactors. It's not like it has its own reactors with their own mechanisms which need to exist to make the whole game balanced, and other mods break it.

There's simply no need for this overly controlled behaviour. NFE doesn't break Kerbalism's mechanics or balance. Since Kerbalism imparts a constant strong drain on electricity (which is realistic; stock behaviour is... a comedy), NFE provides reactors that can take care of it, but are heavy and produce considerable ionizing radiation. IMHO these two mods could and should work together.

Edited by lajoswinkler

5 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Kerbalism has a nice balance and offers one of the best things any mod ever introduced - ionizing radiation. It's probably the number one thing that makes me love it.

I'd argue that what they do is not really what I would want to see with radiation, but sure (see my own WIP radiation project).

5 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

However, I don't understand why it messes up with NFE nuclear reactors. It's not like it has its own reactors with their own mechanisms which need to exist to make the whole game balanced, and other mods break it.

There's simply no need for this overly controlled behaviour. NFE doesn't break Kerbalism's mechanics or balance. Since Kerbalism imparts a constant strong drain on electricity (which is realistic; stock behaviour is... a comedy), NFE provides reactors that can take care of it, but are heavy and produce considerable ionizing radiation. IMHO these two mods could and should work together.

They don't really break anything though - it's just them abstracting a reactor as a magical Uranium -> Power converter. It works within their system and does what they want it to do. Sure, it doesn't handle thermal behaviour and doesn't model most of what NFE models, but it does technically worked. I offered in the issue to try to work with them on an improved way of integrating mods, and was gently rebuffed. So, unfortunately, the ball's in their court and there's nothing I can do to make them change their minds. 

6 hours ago, GJdude said:

So uh, about those solar panels. On closer revision, at least the 'Halo' solar array and the Megalador are both producing light, though they seem more like detached floating light sources than spotlights.

Located and addressed for next version!

On 8/11/2019 at 10:35 PM, Stroud said:

Hey, just thought I'd say that it looks like the upper cap on the Annular Modular Truss XL part isn't working properly. The outer ring of the model doesn't appear when toggled on. Maybe it's only happening for me, but I thought you might want to check.

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

I'd argue that what they do is not really what I would want to see with radiation, but sure (see my own WIP radiation project).

They don't really break anything though - it's just them abstracting a reactor as a magical Uranium -> Power converter. It works within their system and does what they want it to do. Sure, it doesn't handle thermal behaviour and doesn't model most of what NFE models, but it does technically worked. I offered in the issue to try to work with them on an improved way of integrating mods, and was gently rebuffed. So, unfortunately, the ball's in their court and there's nothing I can do to make them change their minds.

Yes, I know about your raycast radiation and I absolutely do consider it vastly superior to Kerbalism's model, but Kerbalism got it ready in a fully functional mod and got it running and all that. The fact it has magnetospheres around some planetary bodies is pretty amazing and that's what hooked me up.

However, your model is based on reality and can simulate and contribute to very interesting ship designs so I'd definitively prefer it when it gets finished.

Hope it's not rude to post a few pictures of a new Duna lander project. Great mods, couldn't imagine playing this game without them.

A few things I've noticed:

1) The storage space in the back of the Biconic command module doesn't register as thermally protected, so things tend to explode in there on re-entry.

2) The 5m faring looks weirdly black in the upper atmosphere. Possible weird shader interaction with scatterer or planetshine?

3) Biconic command module could really use a heat shielded fairing for constellation type missions. I'd happily send you some coffee money if that ever got put in.

39z2cgI.jpg

MmTrrSK.jpg

omZaf0N.png

Just a small question, will the 2.5 m heat shield work correctly with the Pandora command module ?

EDIT : found out that no, so how can I transport a crew of 4 without being something ridiculous ?

EDIT 2 : tweakscaling a heat shield works, and Decoupler Shroud can make it look good, so it's ok.

Edited by esmenard

On 8/16/2019 at 7:13 PM, Nertea said:
On 8/12/2019 at 6:35 AM, Stroud said:

Hey, just thought I'd say that it looks like the upper cap on the Annular Modular Truss XL part isn't working properly. The outer ring of the model doesn't appear when toggled on. Maybe it's only happening for me, but I thought you might want to check.

Cheers! Glad I could help. I love using those trusses so it was bugging to no end.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:13 PM, Nertea said:

Can't find any info on that, is this aiming at calculation radiation + shielding effects based on ship design and part arrangements?

On 8/16/2019 at 8:13 PM, Nertea said:

I don't know the history of what happened with NFE in Kerbalism as I didn't even use mods until about a year ago, and many of the contributors/authors who worked on Kerbalism before that are not around any more. Kerbalism is an odd mod in that regard, being that there isn't one single person working on it from start to finish, and those who do seem to change quite a lot. So whatever ball there is that is gathering dust in our court, I'd like to see it kicked.

That said, there are reasons why Kerbalism removes mod specific features if they cannot be replicated by it's own resource processing system. A big part of the mod deals with background simulation and a lot of effort is being made to make that background simulation consistent at high time warp speeds and with loaded vessels. If stuff cannot be done in background simulation, Kerbalism also removes it from loaded vessels - which, for instance, is why there is no thermal stuff being done. That's just not available on unloaded vessels, but maybe we can do something about that. There's some more in depth explanation on the wiki.

12 hours ago, Wyzard said:

Well, 8 minutes into the "developer story" trailer, the lead designer mentions that KSP2 is about the "near-ish future" of space exploration…

I'm assuming that Nertea is under the same NDA Burrito as Roverdude is.  But I can't wait to see what influence he's had on KSP2, because it seems like there's an awful lot of derivatives of his work.

38 minutes ago, tsaven said:

I'm assuming that Nertea is under the same NDA Burrito as Roverdude is.  But I can't wait to see what influence he's had on KSP2, because it seems like there's an awful lot of derivatives of his work.

Nobody's talked to me :(.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:38 PM, tsaven said:

I gotta say, some of these parts from the KSP2 trailer are looking awful familiar . . . ;)

Ya probably not going to need this mod in KSP2!

4 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

I gotta say, some of these parts from the KSP2 trailer are looking awful familiar . . . ;)

Indeed. I'll finish it sometime, kinda in UI hell now.

4 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

I don't know the history of what happened with NFE in Kerbalism as I didn't even use mods until about a year ago, and many of the contributors/authors who worked on Kerbalism before that are not around any more. Kerbalism is an odd mod in that regard, being that there isn't one single person working on it from start to finish, and those who do seem to change quite a lot. So whatever ball there is that is gathering dust in our court, I'd like to see it kicked.

That said, there are reasons why Kerbalism removes mod specific features if they cannot be replicated by it's own resource processing system. A big part of the mod deals with background simulation and a lot of effort is being made to make that background simulation consistent at high time warp speeds and with loaded vessels. If stuff cannot be done in background simulation, Kerbalism also removes it from loaded vessels - which, for instance, is why there is no thermal stuff being done. That's just not available on unloaded vessels, but maybe we can do something about that. There's some more in depth explanation on the wiki.

I'm aware. I think the biggest thing that is happening is that Kerbalism has its own gameplay model. I'm aware of that and some other people are also aware of that, but I think where people get confused is when installing Kerbalism removes the gameplay model provided by other mods. Same problem with KSPI, where people then come here or to one of my other project threads and ask me why feature X is not working. As I am unlikely to migrate my components to Kerbalism's gameplay model, I would say the biggest thing we need to deal with is player awareness - that really boils down to making people aware that if they are using one of my mods with Kerbalism, support has to come from you guys. 

Edited by Nertea

On 8/20/2019 at 2:38 AM, tsaven said:

54 minutes ago, Nertea said:

*Looks at mod licenses*
*Sees a thing called ARR*

Gee I wonder what would happen if someone were to poke it.. ;)

Finally have some time to deploy a few minor updates:

Near Future Construction 1.1.3

• Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.9.0
  • Updated some part variants to use new B9PS 2.9.0 features
  • Fixed a bug with the upper cap mesh of the Annular Truss XL

Near Future Solar 1.0.4

• Fixed rogue lights on Megalador and Halo panels
  • Updated Chinese translations (6DYZBX)

Near Future Launch Vehicles 1.2.2

• Fixed an engine plume element being sideways

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Ya probably not going to need this mod in KSP2!

I know there's still an endless amount of details to shake out before we know what's involved with modding KSP2, but I'd sure hope that at least some of your models can transfer over and be used.  It's such an incredibly fleshed-out and balanced mod, probably one of if not the premier parts pack for KSP.

Halfway through my first watch of the KSP2 trailer, I thought Nertea & Roverdude "made this".

I would have called you, even if it was to steal more of your ideas ;-)

In any case we'll be here appreciating your work for quite a while... even after KSP: The Deuce drops.

I feel like you, along with others like RoverDude, helped "make this" KSP2 a thing.

Thank you & cheers!

8 hours ago, Nertea said:

Bummer.  I still think the KSP art department ought to hire you.  (And hey, your GitHub page mentions you're in Vancouver, and the company making KSP2 is based near Seattle.  Close enough for an occasional day trip, if needed…)

1 hour ago, Raptus said:

Halfway through my first watch of the KSP2 trailer, I thought Nertea & Roverdude "made this".

My thoughts exactly.  It looks like what they're aiming for is essentially KSP1 + NearFuture + MKS.

I'm having an issue with the OKEB-150R solar panel that I can't track the cause of.

I can select the part in thew VAB, and place it once. But after that, it is impossible to highlight/select the part. This is the case whether attached to another part, or set aside. Example pic:

gkSZaPz.png

When this shot was taken, the cursor was on top of the attached OKEB-150R (so it should be highlighted green but isn't)., also, note how the unattached OKEB-150R remains highlighted red, despite not actually being selected. The other panel in the instance (OKEB-500) and all other I've tried behave properly.

So far I've deleted Near Future Solar and NFS Core, making sure GameData/NearFutureSolar had been completely deleted, and reinstalled. I also deleted the Module Manger caches at the same time.

In KSP.log, the only thing that looks like an error related to the part is the following:

[LOG 21:13:30.898] Load(Model): NearFutureSolar/Parts/SolarPanels/deploying-blanket/nfs-panel-deploying-blanket-arm-1
[ERR 21:13:30.908] Texture 'NearFutureSolar/Parts/SolarPanels/deploying-blanket/restock-engine-boar-1' not found!

That file is indeed missing (I do happen to also have Restock/+ installed). I did find a reference to 'restock-engine-boar-1' in what Notepad++ could make of 'GameData/NearFutureSolar/Parts/SolarPanels/deploying-blanketGameData/NearFutureSolar/nfs-panel-deploying-blanket-arm-1.mu', FWIW.

Thanks.

Edited by BlueLineSwinger

7 hours ago, BlueLineSwinger said:

I'm having an issue with the OKEB-150R solar panel that I can't track the cause of.

I can select the part in thew VAB, and place it once. But after that, it is impossible to highlight/select the part. This is the case whether attached to another part, or set aside. Example pic:

gkSZaPz.png

When this shot was taken, the cursor was on top of the attached OKEB-150R (so it should be highlighted green but isn't)., also, note how the unattached OKEB-150R remains highlighted red, despite not actually being selected. The other panel in the instance (OKEB-500) and all other I've tried behave properly.

So far I've deleted Near Future Solar and NFS Core, making sure GameData/NearFutureSolar had been completely deleted, and reinstalled. I also deleted the Module Manger caches at the same time.

In KSP.log, the only thing that looks like an error related to the part is the following:

[LOG 21:13:30.898] Load(Model): NearFutureSolar/Parts/SolarPanels/deploying-blanket/nfs-panel-deploying-blanket-arm-1
[ERR 21:13:30.908] Texture 'NearFutureSolar/Parts/SolarPanels/deploying-blanket/restock-engine-boar-1' not found!

That file is indeed missing (I do happen to also have Restock/+ installed). I did find a reference to 'restock-engine-boar-1' in what Notepad++ could make of 'GameData/NearFutureSolar/Parts/SolarPanels/deploying-blanketGameData/NearFutureSolar/nfs-panel-deploying-blanket-arm-1.mu', FWIW.

Thanks.

Could you upload your log? I suspect that that exception in the console there can shine more light on it. 

On 1/23/2017 at 8:23 PM, Nertea said:
Q: Why has this mod not been updated for 1.7?
A: Unfortunately I lost the source files for the parts and they need to be rebuilt. I don't know when I will do this.

Hey,

sorry for the (maybe) dumb question, but I read here on the forum, that some older mods still work, even without an update to 1.7,

so my question is, if "Near Future Aeronautics [1.0.4]" still works with KSP 1.7.3?

3 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

@Nertea @Jognt  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cVI-6Z_BGxF4t5Q60VHCqiXMLfyL3U3E/view?usp=sharing here's my log,  I did a clean install and facing the same issue 

Why would you ping me twice on an issue discussed 2 posts above yours? I'll look into it when I have time. More posts will not make it faster.

35 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hey,

sorry for the (maybe) dumb question, but I read here on the forum, that some older mods still work, even without an update to 1.7,

so my question is, if "Near Future Aeronautics [1.0.4]" still works with KSP 1.7.3?

I've heard it works.