[Most 1.12.x] Near Future Technologies (August 26)

Nertea

20 hours ago, Homozygote said:

Hi :)

I'm getting a number of instances of this error as my game loads NF propulsion:

This should not happen. There's no difference in the structure of ionArgon-0625-2.cfg, which triggers this error in your log, and ionXenon-0625-2.cfg, which does not.

Have you tried this in a completely fresh install with only NF Propulsion and its dependencies present?

6 hours ago, rocket_scissors said:

I have slight problem with the Halo Blanket panel and I was redirected to post here. I was wondering if you guys could help. I'm using CKAN btw if you need to know.

Imgur thingy here

Looks like the same issue I posted a few pages back. NF Solar appears to be missing a texture or other file for that panel.

5 hours ago, King Arthur said:

I'm kind of confused what the intended use-case for the command modules in NFSpacecraft is supposed to be. None of the stock heat shields appear to fit nicely (especially the Mk4-1), so are these in-orbit use only unlike the stock Mk1-3?

I would recommend using ReStock and ReStock+, the stock heat shields don't even line up well with the stock pods.

6 hours ago, SobanRe said:

Hello,

what happend to the inline solarpanels with two rotation axis? I can't find them anymore.

I think I know the ones you're thinking of.  They incorporated a rotation ring, right?  They are not part of the NF mod suite but, IIRC, are in Dr Jet's Chop Shop.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

I think I know the ones you're thinking of.  They incorporated a rotation ring, right?  They are not part of the NF mod suite but, IIRC, are in Dr Jet's Chop Shop.

Thank you, I recently reinstalled the game and all mods. I thought the parts belong to this one.

I'm getting a slight issue with the NF systems manager and NF electrical. It won't let me display the systems manager and reactor manager at the same time; if I try it just shows a blank grey window with the systems manager's "thermal" and "electrical" buttons at the top.

I have around 30 mods, are there any known incompatibilities or is this a known issue?

10 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I would recommend using ReStock and ReStock+, the stock heat shields don't even line up well with the stock pods.

I'm a bit hesitant on using ReStock since, from what I understand, there are subtle remodels and respecs in addition to just simple retexturing. I would prefer to leave stock parts' gameplay as untouched as possible (additions to accomodate mods notwithstanding, of course). Not to mention that there seem to be a number of significant bugfixes waiting on a 0.2.0 release anyway, judging from its Github issue tracker.

This isn't the ReStock thread though, so I digress. Appreciate the suggestion though!

Was basically looking for a 4-man command and 3-man lander modules to make a slightly sized up "Apollo"-esque mission, but I ran into a dead end as far as using NFSpacecraft since a lot of it seems to be holdovers from before re-entry heating and all the newer (well, "newer") stuff in KSP nowadays. Love the rest of NFTechnologies, but NFSpacecraft is still waiting on a bit of modernization, I guess.

5 hours ago, Hoddd9000 said:

I'm getting a slight issue with the NF systems manager and NF electrical. It won't let me display the systems manager and reactor manager at the same time; if I try it just shows a blank grey window with the systems manager's "thermal" and "electrical" buttons at the top.

I have around 30 mods, are there any known incompatibilities or is this a known issue?

I can confirm I get the same issue. (I've just lived with it.)

10 minutes ago, King Arthur said:

I'm a bit hesitant on using ReStock since, from what I understand, there are subtle remodels and respecs in addition to just simple retexturing. I would prefer to leave stock parts' gameplay as untouched as possible (additions to accomodate mods notwithstanding, of course). Not to mention that there seem to be a number of significant bugfixes waiting on a 0.2.0 release anyway, judging from its Github issue tracker.

This isn't the ReStock thread though, so I digress. Appreciate the suggestion though!

Was basically looking for a 4-man command and 3-man lander modules to make a slightly sized up "Apollo"-esque mission, but I ran into a dead end as far as using NFSpacecraft since a lot of it seems to be holdovers from before re-entry heating and all the newer (well, "newer") stuff in KSP nowadays. Love the rest of NFTechnologies, but NFSpacecraft is still waiting on a bit of modernization, I guess.

I'm not sure what the problem is you are worried about. Is it visual or gameplay?

I tend to favor the 2-kerbal pod that used to be called the advanced orbital pod and now is called, I think, Rhea. Either that or the pod that is 2.5m on the top and 3.75 on the bottom. So maybe I'm just not using the same pods you are. But I also used the (4-kerbal, I think) pod with the little blister near the top and had no problems with it.

16 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I'm not sure what the problem is you are worried about. Is it visual or gameplay?

Gameplay. I feel anything that delves into remodels and spec changes should be a mod separate from stock (ie: ReStock+) rather than a stock-replacer. Retextures are great, they change nothing tangible, but model and spec changes not so much.

3 minutes ago, King Arthur said:

Gameplay. I feel anything that delves into remodels and spec changes should be a mod separate from stock (ie: ReStock+) rather than a stock-replacer. Retextures are great, they change nothing tangible, but model and spec changes not so much.

Well what's not working? You mentioned heat shields, so does that mean your parts are exploding?

Personally I use FAR and the default re-entry heating settings. I do also use "restock".

On 9/6/2019 at 11:42 PM, DarkNounours said:

I play KSP in english if this is what you asked. My OS is not in english, though.

Hm well I'll check it out I guess. It's a stupid looking patch, would have written it differently now.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:05 AM, rocket_scissors said:

I have slight problem with the Halo Blanket panel and I was redirected to post here. I was wondering if you guys could help. I'm using CKAN btw if you need to know.

Imgur thingy here

Yes, it's known, it's fixed, it's just not released due to time constraints.

17 hours ago, King Arthur said:

I'm kind of confused what the intended use-case for the command modules in NFSpacecraft is supposed to be. None of the stock heat shields appear to fit nicely (especially the Mk4-1), so are these in-orbit use only unlike the stock Mk1-3?

Can you elaborate? The Mk4-1 in particular should be used with a 3.75m heat shield and be using the... Landing or 3.75m variants. The heat shield will slot nicely in the hole provided. The Pandora (Federation-inspired pod) may have some issues, but they didn't show up in testing and probably only really apply to 2x or greater scale. The Elara (biconic) requires a completely different re-rentry profile than other pods. 

6 hours ago, Hoddd9000 said:

Uh I probably have an idea what would cause that. Will look into that. 

1 hour ago, King Arthur said:

This is a thing for the Restock thread I guess, but retexturing and remodeling are not functionally different. Great care has been taken to leave colliders and gameplay untouched (at great personal stress levels to the team I might add). If you have concerns or problems with this or discover actual inconsistencies please let us know. In the past there were a lot of problems reported, but ironically these usually turned out to be problems with other mods compensating for stock inconsistencies (eg. RealChute, RealPlume, FAR caused issues in the past).

1 hour ago, King Arthur said:

That's fairly untrue. Everything is was modernized within the last year. Again, please let me know what the specific issues are so I can address them.

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

I released NFSolar 1.0.5 with a fix for that Halo collider issue. 

I would report this with a bugtracker or something, but I'm not sure how. Anyway, the "Buzzard" engine boattail does not show up. The attachment ring disappears, but nothing replaces it. The "compact boattail" is visible if I select that.

Edited by mikegarrison

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I would report this with a bugtracker or something, but I'm not sure how.

Generally, by raising an issue on the Github issue tracker of the project in question. Make sure it's the right one, Nertea has like... two dozen at this point? Three? :confused:

4 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I would report this with a bugtracker or something, but I'm not sure how. Anyway, the "Buzzard" engine boattail does not show up. The attachment ring disappears, but nothing replaces it. The "compact boattail" is visible if I select that.

Looks like this is fine, it's a labeling issue - the localization for the Compact variant is showing in the boattail field and vice versa.

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Looks like this is fine, it's a labeling issue - the localization for the Compact variant is showing in the boattail field and vice versa.

Well you would know your own intentions, of course. But I had the impression that the compact form was also supposed to have a boattail-like cover, only sized to fit in a cluster situation. If I cluster the Buzzards, even in a six-around-one-in-the-middle configuration, they all fit neatly with the compact design selected.

All your other boattails are more, well, boattailish than the one that shows up on the Buzzard if compact is selected. It's oddly asymmetric unless you assume they are meant to be squeezed together in a ring.

On 9/9/2019 at 6:58 PM, Nertea said:

This is a thing for the Restock thread I guess, but retexturing and remodeling are not functionally different. Great care has been taken to leave colliders and gameplay untouched (at great personal stress levels to the team I might add). If you have concerns or problems with this or discover actual inconsistencies please let us know. In the past there were a lot of problems reported, but ironically these usually turned out to be problems with other mods compensating for stock inconsistencies (eg. RealChute, RealPlume, FAR caused issues in the past).

That's fairly untrue. Everything is was modernized within the last year. Again, please let me know what the specific issues are so I can address them.

So I finally bit the bullet and installed Restock/Restock+ for a trial run to see what it's like. As I found out, the restock'd-stock heatshields work perfectly with the NFSpacecraft command modules (stock heatshields otherwise have hideous clipping). While it is not my intention to sound ungrateful or anything, I would appreciate it if Restock was listed as a soft dependency if the expectation for NFSpacecraft (and other NFT mods...?) is that it's to be used with Restock.

I'll leave my thoughts on Restock/Restock+ proper (if any) for its thread, as that would be ill-suited for here. :V